Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

definitely a less exciting season so far

Remake having a pointless double premiere that just dragged, the sort of wish fulfillment straight harem stuff isn't my usual and this isn't really laying out interesting characters that make me want to commit. at the very least the pre-timehop stuff was good. then Dead Detective as the other awful use of a double premiere, but hey it seems fitting given the show just sucks. a weak regurgitation of popular LNs that have come before, the single outstanding action sequence cannot carry the whole show on its back, even accounting for the clean look of the OP and a couple decent gags/character designs.

no strong verdict on a lot of shows. Girlfriend Girlfriend and Peach Boy both had weak premieres but i'm willing to give them a couple eps to find feet. Realist Hero is in a similar boat, since it can easily fall into not being clever/interesting enough and it already looks like a bit of a mess (here's hoping no more Yugioh references). Uramichi is obviously a show that needs cast dynamics to flourish since the central joke is so #cringe rather than #relatable, so it gets episodes by that virtue...despite the premiere presenting all the gags in the same rote way and apparently undercutting several good gags that were present in the manga.

Kageki Shoujo and Vanitas are just simple cases of nice-looking and standard shows i'm glad to keep watching. Sarasa is definitely a bit Quirky but i enjoy her as a lead in Kageki, and Vanitas is basically Bones's gift while we wait for Bungo S4. granted i had no real expectations for Vanitas so it was almost shockingly good.

Re-MAIN is another case where lowered expectations (Spring was not great for sports) and no knowledge of the premise made for a shockingly good premiere. an amnesia plot is something i haven't seen applied to normal sports before, and it is handled about as realistically and in depth as you'd expect within the constraints of an intro episode. the comedy does well to cut the tone, though i do prefer the lower key gags like Minato gradually slacking more in his studying/PT montage or his nonplussed reaction to former teammates showing up to his hospital room for tearful hugs. his over-eager kouhai doesn't play as well, though him finding an easy ally in Jo Jimajo (what a name) is entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

monsters aren't at their border, they don't need to care lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly haven't been heavy on seasonal watching the past couple years so it's hard to say, but they always felt like a rare thing you'd see maybe once a season

dunno if we have any more in store but two is already more than i expected basically. the S2 Euphonium premiere is the first double length to come to my mind, but there have to be some other unremarkable cases like with this season's shows that were just forgotten.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Rakugo s1 my man

that was like five years ago!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dav's complaint about Euphonium doing it made it more memorable

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ensuring the finances, stability, and military strength of the kingdom he lives in seems far-sighted enough to me. the monster conflict is very ambiguous and I wasn't just shitposting when i brought up them being insulated from the frontlines by multiple other countries. monsters seem a lower concern than the issues pressing their kingdom.

i do think they specifically highlight the dukes in the intro ep to say they will have their own thoughts on the abdication, even if it hasn't come to a head yet.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/CanipaShow/status/1412540603934466050?s=19

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

after disasters like Promised Neverland and Shadows House i'm glad someone is out here respecting the source material

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

Shadows House was a disaster? I'm not familiar with the source material, but the show seemed fine, just very slow to make progress. Promised Neverland S2 was a train made of garbage that derailed into a toxic landfill.

it's not particularly bad i just think it sucks for the changes it made

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

People didn’t like Franxx?

infamously

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the drip of new shows is just too slow 😔

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just watch minidra or something, even the lucoa and saika ep of that was wholesome since ~1min isn't long enough to get up to anything

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

This doesn’t sound fun.

well i just finished the episode and it was pretty fun

all this posting is apparently about the last five minutes of the episode, during which none of it comes to a head in favor of a cliffhanger

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the op has unseated Vanitas for best OP of the season (so far)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVV5Hh2RHoA

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he's boring

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Space Flower posted:

no one will ever guess my dark horse in this race

lol picking a single one when you can just have all three of Kanna, Tohru, and Iruru

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

please anime, give us premieres to discuss

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you're telling me there's more than one wolf wearing bloomers this season?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

artiswitch takes a swerve this time, with an absolute shitter. thankfully, Nina can teach humility and confidence. and perhaps a hint that we will have some overarching narrative build in the second half?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYYaK3-G7yo

i did not care much for this song, but maybe the full version will have more to offer. after all, ep2's turned out to only be a catchy chorus :sigh:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

every time i see her i just laugh

that vacant stare, not knowing about pants. dogs are stupid

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

D_cide commits the classic "flashbacks from within the same episode" crime, but other than that was a pretty fun and flashy premiere. you can feel the Persona lineage (even though that's not much of a selling point), it has some great nouns like Weird and Knocker-up, cute dogs, and as long as the execution keeps up i think Sanzigen's CG gives it a solid place against the other action stuff this season.

also a strange OP choice, but i like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsk-cKU_to4

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

cheat slow life pharmacy, some stupidly longer version of a title like that

the premiere was obviously not a great intro to the series (skipped all the isekai'ing parts but obliquely references them) but the wolf is funny to me, and it had some nice little bits of character animation

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just told youtube to never recommend me mother's basement long ago

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he is infamous for sao hate, so it's a safe guess

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

pretty much, unless they announce another season on the back of this one and at least finish the first half of the manga that has a solid end point

dunno how possible that would be in another 20 episodes since it's been a while since i read it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this seems like a pointless discussion without the context of who is saying what about each show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kirito does actually get forcefemmed in the ggo arc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

we're all big sao fans here

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it all goes into the two years of glopping box

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

night head 2041 has not one but two pairs of very close brothers 🤗

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

did somebody order from DogDash?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

its brave to remind people of a much better fantasy ln series they could be watching

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

leave it to slime to bastardize the quote while true art such as scar on the praeter preserves it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the problem i have with seasons now is 50-80% of my shows just not feeling popular or worth a thread due to little to discuss

but idk, people surprise me with what shows they will discuss. i still don't want to make a bunch of separate threads and combining them into one feels weird as well.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

can you keep that take hot until October when it actually airs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the specter of 5/10 kids show Build Divers continues to haunt mech thread posters

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, 5/10 shows are generally amongst the worst to watch. They're not even interestingly bad.

Gundam is a franchise with lots of really fun (or, at least, well-made - can't really call 0080 'fun') kids' shows, too, so that's no excuse.

well usually a 5 would be something that balances some flaws/missteps and strengths, i often enjoy my seasonal 5's a lot because they are wild things to deal with. divers isn't really at that level because it doesn't have huge interesting flaws or enough payoff. but cutting bland kid paste with some amazing fights or the occasional bit of writing that speaks to an emotional core of how people interact with/through games was enough for me. especially off the heels of rewatching Try which just feels annoying and even antagonistic at times.

obviously OG Build is the standard you'd hope for but i don't find Divers particularly worse than like, ReRise s1. that ReRise takes an entire season to get over its slow burn sensibilities is its big weakness, since s2 does at least offer enough meat beyond what Divers was working with to stand above it (granted, it is literally standing on some work Divers did). ostensibly the entire franchise is kid friendly but i suppose i'm just concentrating on the Build series stuff that feels of a specific type.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Divers stands out because it has the blandest lead character ever to exist, then gives him the Poochie treatment by making everyone incredibly interested in this kid with no particular talents or personality traits.

By giving Hiroto a clearly defined personality and role in the world in his first scenes, Re:Rise proved itself a much better show, despite its faults.

i mean, dour lone wolf is not a defined personality i find particularly interesting even if it's more written than perfect likeable boy. certainly not in the way ReRise handled it by telegraphing his traumatic past but refusing to touch it, and having another character (Mei) that spends a good portion of the show being superficially similar, so you've got half the crew in silent emotionally-disconnected mode.

all of my issues just come back to this plodding manner in which they handle everything. the team takes forever to gel, characters like Kazami and Hiroto take forever to stop spinning their wheels, the main plot takes forever to reveal its hand. yet all this stuff has been telegraphed so heavily from first appearance you just hold frustration until they decide to resolve something and then it's just "yeah, thanks for confirming that. moving on..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

in like the last ep of re:rise they had a flashback set in the ancient past of furry planet showing two girls and a dog

and i spent the whole time thinking

someone hosed that dog

hakkenden still has an iron grip on anime