Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Songs of Syx

***The game can be downloaded and played for free. You'll find the free version on itch.io or on steam (demo). It's not limited in any way other than being 3-6 months behind the payed version in terms of development.***

quote:

Songs of Syx is a retro base/city builder inspired by "Pharaoh", "Dungeon Keeper", and "Rome Total War". It aims at fusing those genres, while also adding to the experience. Its uniqueness comes from having huge populations, while still simulating each individual in great detail and providing big maps with 1:1 scale buildings. It's set in a low-fantasy universe and the gameplay is mostly automated where you let the AI do the mundane tasks, while you focus on greater, more kingly things.

The game can be downloaded and played for free. You'll find the free version on itch.io or on steam (demo). It's not limited in any way other than being 3-6 months behind the payed version in terms of development. If you like it and have the means, consider purchasing it to support development. In any case, don't forget to join the a community to follow development and bombard us with suggestions.

What is it?
Songs of Syx is a top down city-state builder. You start with a small band of settlers and a throne room and have to do the usual resource gathering management to build up a the necessary amenities for your citizens. As you expand immigrants will want to move to your city and you can choose to accept them, there are 5 different races each excelling at particular tasks or having specific needs. The beginning plays a lot like Dwarf Fortress/Rimworld but the scale quickly expands and you will wind up with hundreds/thousands of citizens. Recently the ability to raid and conquer other settlements and wage war in large scale Total War-esque battles was added. The games performance is fantastic and even at high population levels the game chugs along great. The art style is generally quite good pixel art but some nice special effects and dynamic seasons/weather.

The city maps are large and you will have to create outposts to reach resources away from your city center. You can try to centralize your kitchens amenities into large buildings or spread them out into smaller villages/neighborhoods.

The world map is also large containing many settlements and raiders who will attack you. The ability to form armies and occupy foreign territories was the most recent patch.

Combat is fairly basic right now, both armies spawn on a map and you can change their formations and tell them to attack. This should be expanded upon over time with ranged weapons and artillery.

The game is developed by a single guy based out of Sweden, he's been fairly active with updates and posts videos from time to time of things he's working on.

Resident goon Grey Hunter has an LP as well.

Roadmap posted:

Far off
  • zombies

• Military 2.0
    ranged weapons artillery troop movement improvements raiders on the world map

• Rebellions

• Water update
    Detailed water-table that can be used as a resource when building parks /grass and can be imported. Canals to be dug. No more removing deep water, one needs to build bridges instead.

• Artifacts

• Military Reputation
    Reputation for each army, and a general one for each faction. Prowess: looser - invincible A morale change to the armies Type: merciless - just How you treat defeated enemies. Merciless will give your opponent a morale penalty, just will give your own army a morale boost. Will also grant happiness.

• Army rooms
    Barracks and militia rooms. Army UI
Near
  • Health
    Disease. Herbs and medicine. Wards/hospis. Filth and rats. Plagues. Life expectancy. Mental health with institutions. Insane people.

• Drink, Gambling and merriment

• Religion

• Nobility overhaul
    Hire nobles from a pool. Pay them in credits.

• Monuments Overhaul
    Ability to mod monuments & decide what floor goes under them.

• Visitors
    Allow for tourists, musicians and traders to visit your settlement. Make a "stage" room for your plebs Make an industry pipeline for souvenirs,
In progress
  • Profile, leveling
    A profile that is saved and maintained between plays. Unlocks "titles" through progress. Titles can be selected for boosts with new games. Saves room layouts and statistics.

• Education & Kids
    Procreation by simply little kids that come into existence. Controlled through a policy and affects happiness by nerfing it. A school, both for kids and adults. A university for higher studies. Knowledge overhaul and finalization.

• Riots & fear
    Riots. Ability for citizens and slaves to rise up against you if unhappy. A new stat named fear and different ways of adding fear to your settlement. fear will deter rebellions and riots.
Done
  • Military
    Everything you need to create and manage an army in your city. Randomly spawn raids on your settlement.

• World Map Love
    - Redraw the world map. - Region system, ability to claim and tax them. - Revisit map generation. Make it more realistic and detailed - Make primitive kingdom mechanism. - Ensure the world city sprite represents your settlement - climate zones and biomes - dynamic trade

• World map overhaul
    Urban centres for all regions with mechanics for offensive raids, or the ability to be raided. More options in terms of developing your regions and more visuals to represent it. More sophisticated borders to represent faction capitol regions and their vassals. Ability to create soldiers in the regions you control and muster them on the map. Field battles to be spawned when two armies meet. Region loyalty with uprisings and ability to bribe them.

• Improved Mod support
    Make rooms and resources moddable. Improve modability of animals.

• UI overhaul + QoL
    Improve the UI and make things easier to use, especially room construction.

• Localization
    Finish fonts for latin-1 and move all strings into files.

• Race fleshing
    Flesh out the races, make more things moddable. Figure out what attracts different races. Create at least 1 more race.

• Nobility
    Nobility subjects, be able to appoint one, have special AI for them. Have a room for them (with servants). Have them boost production.

• Slaves
    Ability to enslave someone. Enslave Krull's forces.

• Resource Extraction Overhaul
    Hunter made into proper rooms with a radius you can set. Mines made into proper rooms, dragged over deposits. Infinite deposits, but extraction will decrease with time. More workstations for industries, should be labor intense. Stockpiles have radius. Fisheries made into proper rooms Production and consumption statistics fixed Stockpile storage increased Industry internal storage decreased Pastures will cost wood and grain to upkeep Grain no longer edible Bakery for grain Kitchens can set what foods they cook Stone made into a mineral New mineral Mineral deposits generate more interesting Happiness boost tied to storage (modable) Farms affected by climate, have process during winter

• Exposure & sound
    Room will have an isolation value that is affected by surrounding walls. This will be used for degrade This will also be used for sound pollution. Some rooms will want to be in uiet areas. People will get warm/cold. Might die if no shelter is found and they are low on clothes.

• Climate and world population
    Species will have preferred climates, adding to happiness. The world will be populated according to biomes species prefer Some species will be very rare

• Crime and punishment
    A bunch of crimes to be committed. punishments for said crimes adjustable- City can fall into anarchy. Guards Prison Execution square

• burial overhaul
    A mass grave for slaves and enemies A tomb/mausoleum for fancy folk death statistics better notifications A corpse butcherer for cannibalism.

• Alcohol
    Alcohol Production and consumption. Served in taverns. Remove kitchen and incorporate it into the tavern. Some drunken behaviour. Increases happiness, but decreases work skill a bit (and later, life expectancy)

• Food overhaul
    Replace kitchen with granary. Have cooking in tavern, feasthall. Serve alcohol

• Clay + Pottery
Ongoing
  • Enable localization, remove all hardcoded strings

Popete fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New Player Help:

Helpful beginner tips from deep dish peat moss

Tips to manage citizen happiness from deep dish peat moss

Creating armies on the world map deep dish peat moss

Construction, hauling and warehouses zedprime

General Beginners Guide Mandoric

Popete fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 10, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've barely started playing this game but I'm really digging it so far. If you like Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld you'll probably be interested in this, if only to keep an eye on it as it continues to develop.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Is the learning curve as steep as Dwarf Fortress?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is the learning curve as steep as Dwarf Fortress?

No not nearly as difficult to pick up nor are the system as deep as DF, the UI is a bit obtuse but not terrible. There is a tutorial in the game but it's really limited, still I've found it's fairly intuitive if you've played similar colony builders like Rimworld or DF. I can't speak for the mid/late game stuff as I haven't gotten that far yet.

There is an official wiki as well here.

https://songsofsyx.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to point this out if you missed it in the OP.

quote:

The game can be downloaded and played for free. You'll find the free version on itch.io or on steam (demo). It's not limited in any way other than being 3-6 months behind the payed version in terms of development.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Grey Hunter did an LP of this you might wanna throw in!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beamed posted:

Grey Hunter did an LP of this you might wanna throw in!

Added a link to the OP, thanks!

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Some of the production feels as though it could use a bit of a tweak. I have like 30+ grain and fruit distilleries going, along with all but 1 of the drinks research unlocked, and yet my stockpile is nearly always completely empty. It would be nice their base production speed was a bit faster or they made a bit more of a thing with also a slight increase in resources needed.

I also think some of the service/food buildings could hold more people. All the beds/tables/toliets and what not only hold 1 person at a time. Now thats fine when you're at like rimworld levels of population but you quickly and massively blow way past that.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 8, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DurosKlav posted:

Some of the production feels as though it could use a bit of a tweak. I have like 30+ grain and fruit distilleries going, along with all but 1 of the drinks research unlocked, and yet my stockpile is nearly always completely empty.

Yeah agreed, it's difficult to really dial bread/drink production. Farms don't seem to keep up with my needs for fruit/vegetables as well so I'm often importing them.

That's one tip I have for new players, get some production going for furniture/pottery and export that so you have some money to import food if you're finding your production isn't keeping up.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Popete posted:

Yeah agreed, it's difficult to really dial bread/drink production. Farms don't seem to keep up with my needs for fruit/vegetables as well so I'm often importing them.

That's one tip I have for new players, get some production going for furniture/pottery and export that so you have some money to import food if you're finding your production isn't keeping up.

I've just been having to build massive farms everywhere just to keep my people with a couple days of food while hoping thats enough for the next harvest.

Big old screenshot

Its hard to see because imgur wont let me upload the one I took during the day time because its somehow 3mb bigger. But there at my main base along the river I have a bunch of massive grain, fruit, and vegetable farms, and in the SE corner even more fruit, and vegetable farms and I'm still only running at 2-3 day surplus. My 2 massive grain farms bring in about 4.5k grain a harvest. Despite that though my bakeries(30 of them) barely manage to make enough bread, and you cant eat the grain.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 8, 2021

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Sweet, I was looking for a thread on this game.

I'm enjoying it so far but I have little to no idea what I'm doing. I gotta spend some time on the wiki.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Some of the menus and tool tips could use a little work, especially in regards to getting the races happiness levels up.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Been eyeing this game since it was brought up a while ago in the management games thread. It looks great and I'm excited to see what it becomes with time.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I just cant figure out how to keep a positive population number. It will dip to like negative 100-200 for awhile then suddenly everyone wants to join me again. I have plenty of food, again I think its the population menu being a pain to read.

Like this.

It says my wells, canteen, and hearth spots are low, but where are they low? Where do they want me to build them to increase their happiness?

I think its just the game doing it on purpose which is kind of annoying

Also randomly clicked on this guy to look at what needs were fulfilled, and that is quite the name

EDIT: A good tip for beginners. When you start your village look around the map. I'd say that for natural resource extraction the order of importance is Coal - Ore - Clay - Stone, gems and Sithilon ore are nice to have but not important. If you are missing a large extraction patch of more than 1 of those 4 resources I'd say quit the map and try again. You will never be able to trade enough to keep in supply. I'm missing a good coal, ore, and clay deposit on my map and its hell. I cant get enough trees to keep my coal production up to a level where I'm not constantly out of it.

Also its expensive but try kick starting your livestock early by importing. They make a pretty good source of trade revenue once you get a few large pastures up and running.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 9, 2021

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I feel like this will be a good game in a year, but right now it's kind of a mess that technically works

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Major pro tip: Always start in a region that doesn't ban mushroom farms and build a bunch of mushroom farms, mushrooms export for a ton compared to the manpower needed to produce them and this will facilitate trade for basically anything else you need. I think it's the second most efficient Worker:Credits generation method in the game - an 8x12 mushroom farm can be easily worked by a single worker and will provide ~90-100 mushrooms per year, which sell for ~70-120 gold each (the most effective method would be a pasture with the lizards that provide eggs but I've never found a region that has them)
(Secondary pro tip: Mushroom farms need to be built indoors and you can't irrigate through a wall, but you can still irrigate them by knocking down one of the walls and replacing it with a canal)

DurosKlav posted:

I just cant figure out how to keep a positive population number. It will dip to like negative 100-200 for awhile then suddenly everyone wants to join me again. I have plenty of food, again I think its the population menu being a pain to read.

Like this.

It says my wells, canteen, and hearth spots are low, but where are they low? Where do they want me to build them to increase their happiness?

I think its just the game doing it on purpose which is kind of annoying

Also randomly clicked on this guy to look at what needs were fulfilled, and that is quite the name

EDIT: A good tip for beginners. When you start your village look around the map. I'd say that for natural resource extraction the order of importance is Coal - Ore - Clay - Stone, gems and Sithilon ore are nice to have but not important. If you are missing a large extraction patch of more than 1 of those 4 resources I'd say quit the map and try again. You will never be able to trade enough to keep in supply. I'm missing a good coal, ore, and clay deposit on my map and its hell. I cant get enough trees to keep my coal production up to a level where I'm not constantly out of it.

Also its expensive but try kick starting your livestock early by importing. They make a pretty good source of trade revenue once you get a few large pastures up and running.
I've never seen population go negative - are you looking at the number of workers? That goes negative if you have more jobs than your population can fill.

Generally the answer to all population issues in this game for me has been to play slower and stop inviting new immigrants as soon as they're available - it's best to fill out your existing infrastructure to support them before inviting them. I also focus on only having one race in my city because Humans or Cretonians (the ones I use) can do everything just fine and it's much easier to keep just a single type of pop happy. On a new save I will stay at 15 pop for several years, because I can just build a carpentry for 3 of them to work at and leisurely use the other 12 to lay the groundwork for what will become my entire city, and everyone's completely happy about it and they're indefinitely fed just from foraging, and you can stockpile gold all day long because bandits don't start attacking until... I think 250+ pop? Also if you're favoring a specific race make sure to exalt them with your admin points. On my all-Human save with exalted humans and some sanitation/happiness infrastructure my population shot up from 800 to 3200 in like 6 game days, because I built all the infrastructure I needed and filled out a few extra food warehouses before the leap from 800 -> 1200. Now I'm having a hard time finding enough jobs for them all so I have an army of over 1500 unemployed odd-job builders.

When your city has housing, torches, monuments, roads, taverns, canteens, latrines etc to support the population influx it's pretty common to have another 200-500+ applicants immediately after accepting all current applicants.

I aim for keeping around 25-30% of my population unemployed (but not more than ~300 if I can help it) usually so that they can build/harvest on demand and fill out any new job sites.

Also IMO trading for resources like ore and clay is usually better than extracting them until you have a 2k+ population and can just throw 300 workers at an ore mine. They barely trickle resources in if you don't have a gigantic workforce for them. Coal is the only one I go out of my way to extract myself before then, but then I also import it anyway because you need so fuckin' much coal all the time.

Oh, re: the Access percentages shown on that menu - this confused me for the longest time but I finally understand it. 23% Wells means that in the past [period of time (one day I think)], 23% of your population has used a well - not 23% of your population has access to them. The reason they're not using Wells is because they're using Bathhouses when possible. 61% baths + 23% wells = 84% of your population has used a sanitation facility recently. The remaining 16% might be because they do not have access, or it might be because they haven't needed/wanted a bath - the easiest way to tell is to check the Load % on the bathhouses. If they're all at 100% load, build more. The green bar shows how much happiness you are earning from this, as well as the total potential of happiness you can earn from increasing access to that service.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I feel like this will be a good game in a year, but right now it's kind of a mess that technically works

I'd say this game is far from a mess and is easily one of the best city builders available already :shrug: It does have a steep and poorly documented learning curve and a clunky interface but it all comes together hella well.

Random tips for new players I wish I had noticed earlier:
1)Cretonians are vegetarians and do not eat meat or fish. If you are starting as Cretonians, don't bother building fisheries unless you start inviting lots of other races. Do still build a hunter though because the pelts make clothes, some animals give eggs, and you can sell all of the meat for a little extra cash.

2)When choosing a starting location from the world map:
A) It's totally okay to pick a place that has no sithilon/green ore or gems. You cannot even extract these until late game anyway and, though they are expensive, they can be traded for.
B) Pay attention to the percentage listed next to each race - this shows how appropriate the climate/terrain is for them. You want 100%+ for your starting race if it's anything that isn't Humans. Humans only reach 100% from being in flat open land, which means no mountains or forests, which means very little resources - so I always settle for 90%+ with them
C) Find a place that doesn't ban mushroom farms. Really!!! You'll thank me... almost immediately. This seems to be easier if you choose a northern latitude for map generation and check the north side of it.
(Edit from the future re: Mushrooms - their price eventually tanked in my save so you probably want to diversify. You can farm egg-laying lizards in Warm climates and eggs are worth a ton, but I haven't experimented with this yet)

3) Food production... sucks. But foraging loving rules. You can forage a plant generally twice per year - start your forage at the beginning of summer, then check again right before fall and it will probably be ripe again. Build near harvestable mushrooms/veggies/fruit, harvest everything every year, keep a large odd-job unemployed population to do this for you. Don't worry about farms or pastures until you have a huge population and can dedicate massive amounts of land to them (the one exception: Mushroom farms as export goods). You can survive purely off of foraged food until around ~300-500 population as long as you make sure to build up a reserve stockpile around ~250 pop.
Fisheries and Hunters are good and bring in solid amounts of food (which Cretonians don't eat).
Keep in mind with Hunters that you want to build them in your city's outskirts in a direction you do not plan to expand in because once you start expanding in that direction you're going to scare away all of the animals. Even though distance isn't a big deal (see the next point) it's still best to reduce it when it's easy to do so, and also since hunters have such few employees, one of them not working while traveling is a relatively much bigger deal than other industries.

4) Distance - don't feel bad about making people walk a hella long way to their job. You don't have to be compact in this game. Your eventual goal should be job sites wherever you need them, then centralized neighborhoods filled with services so that wherever your people work they can go get their services in the nearby neighborhood, but there's no actual negative impact from distance other than reduced production time during travel, and people move quick enough that it's not a huge deal. It's totally okay if your clay pit is halfway across the map from the rest of your city.

5) Build tons of warehouses. Just loving warehouses everywhere. All of them. All the warehouses. You can never have enough. If you ever look at your resources and think "Wow my storage is brimming, I have so much!" then you need to build more warehouses. Why? The amount of food you need to store ramps up exponentially with your population (you can additionally get a big happiness boost by providing with double daily rations). Even with hundreds of thousands of storage capacity dedicated to food my bigger cities have sub-30-day food supplies that constantly give me anxiety. And then with big pops and a huge builder force you're going to want to build gigantic buildings like a 50x50 library and then copy/paste that library several times and you need a whole lot of wood and stone and clay and furniture and fabric, etc. saved up to do that. My two giant libraries I just completed took 2,000 furniture each :cry:

6) Cretonians like wooden and non-Square buildings. Dondorians like stone, square buildings. Humans are okay with either one. I don't use the other races much. TBH the room shape doesn't seem to matter or is easy to compensate for, I just makes square-ish buildings all the time anyway.

7) Army management tip: You can set a detachment's training level to 1, 2, or 3 pips. Pretend 1 doesn't exist and don't use it unless you need to muster a weak but large army quickly (it's just an inferior version of 2) - think of 2 as the reserve; they train up to that desired training level then go back to their jobs. 3 are your professional soldiers and they will make training their full-time job. 2 is very useful since they don't permanently leave your workforce, but once you get to 2500+ population in a city you can start getting raided by some well-trained and well-equipped armies that you'll need real soldiers to deal with.

8) !!! Huge deal here: Don't wait too long to build an administrator! Admin points are used to buy some enormous bonuses to your city. You can spend them by clicking the button in the top left corner of the world map. You can exalt a race to gain a 50%!!! population growth rate and loyalty for that race (it costs a lot of admin points, so it's best to do it early). You can get permanent, huge pop growth, knowledge gain/capacity, happiness boosts, etc for extremely cheap at the beginning. (Admin buffs all go up in cost every time one is upgraded)

9) Don't wait too long to build more administrators! They're not an infinite source of admin points. Each employee provides approx. 5 admin points. Total. When those are spent, that employee's admin point gain goes entirely to maintaining your existing admin policies instead of generating new points for you to use. In effect, you always need to be building more admins. The same is true of libraries.

10) Don't "un-spend" or de-level your admin policies! If you accidentally click the wrong one and level up sanitation instead of entertainment, you can reduce the level of sanitation but your admin points are lost and all of your admin policies are weaker for a while. Research is similar - un-learning a research will 'freeze' all of the knowledge spent on it and it takes a loooong time for it to un-freeze and become available for use again - during which time it's still counting toward your library's total capacity. Unless you really know what you're doing and why, it's best to just live with any mistakes and build an additional library/administrator.

11) You can recruit armies from the local region directly on the world map. This bypasses needing a training building for them and also draws from a different population pool - you can recruit races that don't exist in your city and it doesn't take them away from your city's population. You'll still want a training building and some local soldiers though because sometimes armies will raid your city map directly instead of sieging, so you can miss the opportunity to attack them on the world map. I haven't started any offensive campaigns yet but I'm guessing that's where these armies will be most useful.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 12, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think this game is everything I wanted out of a Dwarf Fort that stayed 2d. I am intimidatingly out of my league in beautiful and effective civic planning but that's ok because I think I am going to be on the level of ramshackle agrarian village for 3 or 4 rerolls.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The tip where you said it's okay for pop to walk far to reach residential districts has saved my brain. I was playing noise-tetris, trying to cram sleeping quarters in amongst little pockets of no noise. I'm just going to have like an entire screen's separation between industry zones and residential zones, instead of trying to cram dorms in amongst industry and then realising I've screwed myself out of some prime industry estate.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, it's definitely less restrictive about that kind of stuff than it feels at first. As far as I can tell, the only potential negative impact from people traveling long distances is that there's more potential time for them to be outside of the radius of monuments/trees/torches, which is easily solved by placing those things along the road.

I haven't bothered to spend time following a specific citizen through their day to see if, for example, they get significantly less work done if they have to walk further to get to a bed/restaurant, or if they're impacted by getting less sleep. Based purely on possibly-wrong intuition I think that their need for sleeping quarters is essentially "I need to interact with a bed once a day", and the need is fulfilled whether they get to the bed 5 minutes or 5 hours before it's time to start their work shift. You can also over-hire for industry buildings so that there are extra workers that step in when one of the main workers is away. But ultimately I haven't seen any noticeable problems caused by distance.

I've looked through some of the race stats files for modding and I didn't see any stats related to like, 'energy' or a need to sleep or anything.

I do like, dig out small rooms for a dorm/lavatory/baths/canteen deep in the mountain where my mines are and then I have a few haulers set to bring food to the canteen and all that. But there's definitely no need for a full, livable neighborhood immediately next to all of your industry zones.

e: In other news the price of mushrooms in my kingdom has crashed to 30 gold so maybe diversifying trade goods is a better idea than relying on all mushrooms :v: I oversupplied everyone.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 12, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I tend to keep dorms in place near my farmland and fisheries and for little far flung mini-mining towns depending on map generation, as well as for my professional military. Otherwise my urban core of flat houses powers my main industry and services to keep everything afloat. Really ought to get back into it now there's a new update, love this game.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I see how far along soldier training is? I set it to 2 or 3 pips but I can't figure out how to see exactly how close they are to reaching level 2 / 3 skill...

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

At 3 pips your soldiers will train indefinitely (it's essentially professional full-time soldiers). When you look at your list of detachments, the blue part of the bar represents soldiers that are not fully trained up to the detachment's training level. If the bar is all green then everyone's fully trained (and therefore working their usual day jobs again, unless they're at 3 training pips). But I'm not sure about more granular info about level 1 vs level 2 or progress through a specific level

e: This game is easy to mod if anyone's interested in making it a little easier or harder on themself or whatever. Everything is stored in plain text files in \Steam\steamapps\common\Songs of Syx\res\data\assets\init\

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 12, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay finding the egg-laying lizards was way easier than I expected - they literally just need Warm climates. The northern hemisphere has more cold climates and the southern one has more warm climates - so starting in the south for lizards might be better than starting in the north for mushrooms. Eggs are usually worth 300-400 gold a piece at the start of a new save compared to 70-120 for mushrooms (I haven't tested it out though, they may have a very low rate of providing eggs). Warm climates also allow opium farming and the only thing you really lose in a warm climate is the sheep-ish livestock that give cotton. But also most races hate warm climates and as a resident of Arizona I understand where they're coming from :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 12, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There seems to be a general trade balancing so that there is usually some angle you can work the economy. I'm sure certain combos are going to be a lot easier to catapult into lavish capital but I think the continuing draw of the game is going to be turning your Sithilon ore mountainhome or Cretonian narcostate into a world player despite the easy angle of eggs and mushrooms not being available or drying up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

This is great, I added a link to this post in the second post of the OP.

I decided to reroll and play a human settlement in a cold climate. It's going well so far I found a good plot with relatively close by deposits of clay/coal/stone/ore but there isn't a ton of a good farm land except right along the river. Foraging is really your friend early on, there is plenty of free food out there to be gathered well you work on getting your settlement setup.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

dongs of dyx

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Alright starting in the southern warm climates is pretty nice, I'm only at 33 population and already made over 200k selling foraged opium :2bong:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cheesing the economy seems like a fast track to making the grind up to a glorious city state rather boring, since you can just import everything you need.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Progress Report:
Opium farms are very inefficient - an 8x12 farm predicts that it will produce about 16/year for one worker. They're forageable en masse though and the sell price has been hovering around 485 thus far.

Globdien Pastures produce around 1-2 eggs per animal per day which is nothing alarming, but seeing as eggs cost 300-400 gold each and everyone likes eating them, it's solid money and/or better than importing them.

Qubee posted:

Cheesing the economy seems like a fast track to making the grind up to a glorious city state rather boring, since you can just import everything you need.

That's totally fair, but it's also nice to just be able to buy a warehouse full of metal and tools right off the bat, which lets you temporarily skip the whole metal smelting thing and get a bakery, weaver, etc. up and running early on!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm coming to the conclusion any one weird economy trick will do you. There's a lot of devious industrial revolution knots to untie using metal bars and tools so if you can buy your first batch, making your own becomes exponentially easier even if you are otherwise ready to do it all yourself.

I read all the advice about aiming for easy access to something expensive and or coal/ore convenient and YOLOed my first game into a map where the coal and ore are 5% richness and in a mountain and the best thing I can sell is hunted eggs. Instead it has bonkers gem and sithilon deposits so it's going to be very rich... In 100 years. I was thrilled to get iron auxiliaries into the lumber extractors to afford charcoal without paving the map in lumber extractors.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Any good videos to watch for a beginner at this game?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know of any videos, but one big tip is that until you hit 200 population (I think), nothing bad can happen to you. Feel free to just stockpile foraged food in warehouses and take your time until then.

A tip I just noticed: You can fish in the irrigation canals you dig for farms.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 14, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It only just occured to me that you can dig irrigation canals to improve farm yield, not sure why I didn't think of that before.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Popete posted:

It only just occured to me that you can dig irrigation canals to improve farm yield, not sure why I didn't think of that before.

You can even make fish ponds that way.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here are several things you can do to raise happiness which is probably the most unintuitive part for new players. Every one of these will lead to more immigrants wanting to join, but also people get pickier and more demanding the more you have so heads up. If you're not getting immigrant applications, you can work on these to fix that.

Note: These can differ a bit from race to race, this list is primarily for Humans but should cover Dondorians as well, and Cretonians are pretty much the same except for a couple noted differences.

Increasing Law
(Unlocked at 200 population)
Mouseover the button shown here to see the exact formula for calculating Law. Click the button to open the panel shown which breaks everything down in more detail.

The percentage on the icon is sort of like the percentage of lawlessness - 0% means you do not have a crime problem

Increasing Mercy
(Tied to Law - you can increase law by executing criminals. You can increase mercy by not executing criminals. See the formula for calculating Law in the screenshot above and it will make more sense)

Grant Nobility
Once you hit 1000+ population you can grant noble titles to people, which will raise that race's happiness (I have no idea where/how to do this lmao, probably by building a Chamber or something but I've never bothered)
(Edit from the future: You can make them the Master of a certain thing - industry, mines, battle, etc. which makes your city do those things better)

Let people retire
Click the "Citizens" button in the top menu (Third button from the left) - then click the "Work" tab. The "Retirement Age" slider essentially lets you set what percentage of your population will be retired after living half of their life expectancy. Raising this boosts job fulfillment which boosts happiness.

Assign tools to industries
Click the work tab (2nd from the left on the city screen's top left menu), then click the button at the top center. This lets you set how many tools to be used by various industries - by default everything is set to 0. Raising tools for a specific building type will make workers in that building grab tools from storage which increases productivity and job fulfillment/

Food Preference
Make sure you have all of the food types your race(s) like to eat. Make sure you have canteens/eateries for them to eat in.

Double Food/Drink rations
If you have a surplus of either one, click the Citizens button in the top menu, then the Food button. You can set the number of food/drink rations here. Pro tip: You can raise everyone to double rations for a happiness boost, get an influx of new immigrants because of all the happiness, then set everyone back to 1x rations. I pretend I'm hosting a festival or something so it doesn't feel like cheating :colbert:

Services
Make sure everyone has access to:
Eating services (Canteen > Eatery)
Sleeping services (Chambers > Flathouses > Dorms)
Hygiene Services (Bathhouses > Wells)
Drinking Services (Taverns + drinks)
Other Services (Lavatories + Hearths)

You don't need both Flathouses and Dorms for example - Flathouses are better dorms. You want each category of services to be as close to 100% filled as possible but you don't need to worry about each individual service.
ONE EXCEPTION - I noticed recently that you need both Canteens AND eateries. If you assign multiple rations to pops, they will only grab their extra rations from Eateries, not from Canteens.

Access
Citizens gain happiness boosts from:
Walking on roads
Walking in the radius of torches
Walking in the radius of monuments
Walking in the radius of Monument Trees (Cretonians only - and this is only the trees found in the menu while building a monument, not natural trees)

Have Graveyards/Crypts
Burying corpses in a mass grave does not have a happiness malus but it doesn't have a bonus either. Crypts provide a bigger bonus than graveyards... this may not be true for Cretonians but I'm not sure (Cretonians like wood, crypts use Cut Stone for the graves, idk)

Avoid noise
Industries and crowds produce noise. Walls block noise, but some noise gets through. Service buildings want to be away from noise.

Make sure you have clothes
In the Citizens -> Equipment tab you can tell everyone to grab multiple pairs of clothes to boost happiness. You can also assign jewelry here, but jewelry is expensive. For a frame of reference, my Humans get +5 happiness from having 5 sets of clothes each and +3 happiness from having 3 jewelry each.

Have soldiers and make them fight things
Soldiers boost happiness, and the more enemies they've killed the more they boost happiness.

Store gems (for Humans) or Sithilon Ore (for Dondorians)
Humans get a happiness boost from stored gems and dondorians get a happiness boost from stored sithilon. Garthimis get a happiness boost from stored meat but since meat is all they'll eat, that one's pretty obvious.

Admin policies
"Elevate" a race to give them a +50% population growth bonus
Level up the Infrastructure policy to gain a +10% citywide pop growth bonus each level
Level up the Sanitation policy for +14% citywide pop growth each level

Other:
Not having enough stored food seems to prevent immigrants from applying, but it's not directly tied to happiness other than the Garthimis thing.

Be slower about accepting immigrants
If you're accepting every applicant as soon as they apply, they immediately start using your resources/services and overall lower your happiness. Instead, bank up a large group of them then invite them all at once.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 16, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think days of food is a part of the food calculation. At least there's a gauge and tooltip in the menu for it.

I think immigration is only tied to fulfillment vs expectations which then distills into happiness so I don't think there's any immigration got yas. If you're meeting expectations you should get enough immigration for replacement of dying folks. If your exceeding expectations you should grow.

Big immigrant waves seem high risk, high reward. There's something in the calc that tends to dump happiness for immigrants even if you have enough services. You can see it when you get big happiness bumps when your Immigrant counter UI in the top right flushes out to 0. You can sometimes outpace it even with big waves, so like if you really have your services lined up for them and they all get jobs that aren't poo poo kicker odd job you can get multiple big waves in a row. But it's also, you aren't going to be growing too much slower if you turn on auto accept or accept small bunches repeatedly and organically grow your services with them.

Not to say there aren't growing pains you want to immigrant wave through. If you're churning people and can't get over a hump of services, that's a good time to turn auto off and get a wave going to basically build into their new jobs and get those services pumped up.

Overall your work flow in this game is to take a look at the happiness UI for a race you want to invite, see what you can be doing better on, then go and do better, and you will have more people lining up. It's well suited to both haphazard organic growth as you tilt at the windmills in every panel trying to attract anyone at all, or super organized civic planning where you have specific city blocks ready to go at every stage to pre-fulfill problematic services. It's seems a lot harder than Banished to really death spiral early on but it's definitely possible by attracting people with temporarily happiness gains then crashing at the wrong moment as people died of old age, exposure, crime, or war so I'd be real careful doing temporarily happiness gains like flipping food amounts without being able to sustain the new level using the new people it attracted.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm diving in to marching armies around the world map and capturing regions now so here's a breakdown of how it works:

Step 1: Preparation
Make sure you have at least four Army Supply Depots built, one for each of an army's needs (battlegear, clothes, rations, drink). Get them filled up because your army will need a lot of each one. If they run out of one, soldiers will desert.

Step 2: Recruit an army
You can do this from the world map screen (Click the sword icon in the top left to open the army management panel, I don't have this screen in front of me to provide more detailed instructions but first you need to create an 'army' on the world map, then select the army and look for the recruit/muster button). Depending on how much training/battlegear you give them and how many soldiers you recruit this will take a few days. I recruited 1000 with level 2 training and level 1 battlegear which was way more than I needed to get started - look at your neighboring regions to see how many soldiers are in their garrisons and just make sure you beat that by a ??? margin.

Step 3: March them toward a neighboring settlement
Simple enough. Make sure they are fully mustered, trained, replenished and stocked, they don't do those things while moving.

Step 4:
When you reach an enemy city you besiege it. It seems like right now you can only autoresolve sieges. You'll notice that you have like 0% chance of winning. You just need to keep the siege going and wait. Check back in a day or two and you'll have a much higher chance of winning, wait even longer and it scales even more in your favor. It doesn't seem like this part gets any more complicated currently

After defeating a neutral city you can choose to show them Mercy (take nothing and kill no one, but it makes them like you), sack them (Loot them and they hate you), or annihilate them (loot everything and kill everyone)

Sacking or Annihilating will let you take on literally thousands upon thousands of slaves, and loot gigantic like 5k+ (sacking) or 25k+ (annihilating) piles of resources. This is from a smaller city with only 200 defenders.

You also choose whether you want to occupy the city or liberate the city. Liberating it turns them into "rebels", not exactly sure what that does but you can probably pick apart enemy nations by forcing lots of rebellions?

If you occupy them they become part of your empire - you don't get to manually build a city there, but you can spend admin points on the region to increase its productivity/happiness/etc just like your capital region, and you can tax their goods. Doing this uses admin points generated in your capital but the costs are thankfully reset for each region.

I think that's about it right now, unless fighting other factions instead of neutral cities changes something. Taxing goods gives you a lot of that good. Capturing a region that grows apples and spending just one admin point on taxing fruit brings in 1100 fruit/year for me which is ~10 farms' worth.

It's pretty neat but clearly not fully implemented yet, right now it's another (very strong) way to generate resources and to pour your attention into late-game.

edit: Tip from the future: Once you start taking over regions, raiders will target any one of them, not just your capital city. The more you expand, the more armies you need since you only have time to move an army about 1-2 regions before the enemies reach a city.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 15, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Today I'm messing with appointing nobles for the first time. You need 1k+ population, then select a citizen and look for the "Elevate to position of power" button (it's the same icon used to elevate a race on the admin screen - right above the "mark as favorite" button). I think they require a Chamber to sleep in. You can choose to make them a master of farming, industry, mines, or livestock which boosts the production of the associated building type, or a master of battle that boosts training speed and battle effectiveness of soldiers.

I'm not sure how these bonuses work exactly. It's not just an all-at-once thing. The Master of Industry spends his day wearing flashy purple clothes and inspecting all of my industry buildings and over time the bonus listed on the throne to Craftsmanship is slowly going up (currently 0.4% after having the noble for just one season)

If you assign someone as a noble it can be hard to track them down to see what they're up to, you need to click the Population tab (top left) then filter by noble. I wasn't able to find anything else indicating who my nobles were or letting me select them

As an aside I realized that you need to go into the Work screen (hammer button in the top left menu which shows how many unemployed you have) and then click on this button at the top center in order to tell your industries to actually use tools, which increases productivity and job satisfaction.
(Edit: I tried to take a screenshot of this but imgur and SA attachments both refuse to upload it even after re-taking it and re-saving it :confused:)

vvv Happy to help! I am not good at writing organized guides but I am good at info dumping after looking into a system, hopefully someone else can write it into a nice succinct guide at some point :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The second post is basically just turning into deep dish peat moss post links, thanks for the helpful write ups.