Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Remember not to accidentally build your torch in front of a building's only door :smith: these poor carpenters

Something I noticed with this carpenter in particular - my other industry buildings nearby all use the same interior layout but they are 12x16 and do not have this weird embedded monument statue. The carpenter is slightly larger and has the monument and isn't perfectly rectangular - it had 156% efficiency while all of my other industry buildings were at 112%. I'm not sure if that little extra came from the monument, the non-Square building, or the different size with more open floorspace. Either way there are a lot of subtle mechanics that I'm still not fully grasping

Edit: I totally misread, the "Rate" is what was listed as 156% and 112% - that's the decay rate. Non-square building decays faster.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is this game particularly CPU hungry? Trying to figure out if this is something I could play on my laptop.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bold Robot posted:

Is this game particularly CPU hungry? Trying to figure out if this is something I could play on my laptop.
I haven't actually checked but my gut feeling is for a game where the goal is to get 1000-10000 agents running around a map it's going to lean toward hungry.

There's a demo that is the full game a few versions back if you want to try it out first. I should also say I'm a very ponderous player because I hate hitting max speed and I just now have like 400 people at 20 hours so it's not like you launch into mega maps instantly if you don't want to.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah give the demo a shot. The game runs incredibly smooth for how much stuff is going on at once so it might work fine.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I took over every neutral region! I think this made bandit raids stop, I haven't had any in a few years (Edit: I spoke too soon, just got one and it spawned directly inside one of my regions)

The largest neutral city garrison I fought was 1.7k soldiers. I was getting bandit raids bigger than that (one actually wiped out one of my armies :( ) so it absolutely seems worth it to capture them, but bandits will keep spawning in any neutral regions and attacking your nearest region. By the end I needed 3 armies marching around to cover all my bases and make sure I had an army near where the bandits would come from. (You can also turn population into garrisons with admin points, but I had better uses for admin points)

There seems to be something going on with other empires, when I first started there were only a small handful of empires that controlled everything, but now there are lots of smaller ones that have 1-3 regions each. I'm guessing these were bandit raids that stole cities from other empires and became new empires themselves. None of them seem openly hostile toward me yet, which is good because my largest army is abut 7k soldiers and mostly mercenaries, while the big empires have a, like 15k soldier stack wandering around.

This has been a good way to get resources at the end of the day - you can tax whatever resources you want from any region you capture at the cost of some admin points and a little loyalty (you can also just improve their admin buffs for more loyalty). Right now I have a steady trickle of taxed coal/iron/gems and food coming in every year. Taxing for food in heavy-producing regions brings in quite a lot, like 1k/year off of a single pip of taxation.

However you need a mega buttload of administrators at this point. I have 5 admins with 60 employees each and I'm still spread extremely thin for admin points to use on the world map (I also have over 1000 unemployed so it's not a huge deal to just build more, but... drat)

I'm still impressed by the scale of this game too, I'm nearing 4k pop and literally just dug up and moved an entire river because I wanted to build where it was :wth: It seems like the further you go on, the more you'll start disassembling all of your industry/agriculture in your capital city to focus the land on administrators, making weapons/battlegear, supplying armies, etc. while relying on food and building materials from all of your satellite regions. It's not a particularly "meaty" system yet but it's new and interesting for sure.

Edit: It turns out you need both Canteens and Eateries! Don't skip Eateries! Your citizens will only take extra assigned food rations from Eateries, NOT from canteens. I was stuck at ~10% food preference score and ~10% happiness from food rations for years, I finally added in some eateries and now it's finally going up.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 16, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm still impressed by the scale of this game too, I'm nearing 4k pop and literally just dug up and moved an entire river because I wanted to build where it was :wth: It seems like the further you go on, the more you'll start disassembling all of your industry/agriculture in your capital city to focus the land on administrators, making weapons/battlegear, supplying armies, etc. while relying on food and building materials from all of your satellite regions. It's not a particularly "meaty" system yet but it's new and interesting for sure.

It really does a great job of creating organic growth and total restructuring of your city, this is the best early Rome sim. There are a lot of traps at the moments that make trade kinda far too essential even though the systems for that are way too basic at the moment, but yeah, the way the game changes as you hit ridiculous pop numbers is great.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Im not looking at your canteens to say so maybe you have overbuilt them but I suspect that's because canteens are so inefficient youd need really overbuilt eateries to have food choice and extra food. The room builder recommends a really light ratio of cooks to tables so you need to overbuild cooking stations, limit the types of meals, or both even if there's a pantry warehouse right next to it.

Eateries just throw food in a slop tray and you have 7 of every meal constantly even if they have a small hike to a pantry.

But seriously my favorite part of this game is the potential to specialize, especially now with the world map where you can have a giant capital of administrators eating other regions foods and goods and building only a few specialty things of their own to fill the gaps. Or be entirely agrarian or semi industrial living on trade routes and defending only yourself.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've kept access around 80% using only canteens (but of course I'm realizing now that probably means 80% of people could visit one, not that 80% of people got all the rations they need, which is what you're getting at :mindblown: ), and they still weren't gathering extra rations. One of the tooltips mentions that pops will only pick up extra rations from "kitchens" which used to be the name of eateries in earlier versions (it's not clear to me whether "kitchens" now refers to both canteens and eateries, or just eateries... I'm starting to suspect it's just eateries). Canteens do seem pretty inefficient since they cook a live hot meal for everyone that comes in.

I think you're spot on about the inefficiency of canteens for the Food Preference part for sure, they're only cooking just one meal for each visitor, so the visitors don't get variety. Having an Eatery next door lets them grab the extra rations of whatever type of food they want (I assume?), so it both raised the "extra rations" happiness since they were finally getting them, and the food preference happiness since they were getting to choose their meals.

But now I'm curious if just having a buttload of extra canteens would solve the extra rations part - if anyone tests it out please let us know! (This is the only city where I've ever skipped eateries and went straight to 100% canteens)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 17, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay I could have sworn it said "Kitchen" but now it says "Eating Service" in the tooltip, I think you're right on the money about why it's happening zedprime.

This... gets pretty drat overwhelming after a while! Here's a post about the problems my city is having now in case it helps someone plan ahead

My city is kind of starting to fall apart now because I relied too much on trade (opiate/eggs/furniture), which is a lot harder to scale up to huge pop numbers than production. My armies are going through over 20k rations/season and I didn't even start producing them until I was suddenly having a hard time importing enough. I'm at I think ~4500 pop now (with another 1000 waiting to join). I slapped down a bunch of big admin buildings so I could tax my regions more and upgrade their infrastructure so traders can carry more goods and now I'm working on scaling up all of my production/extraction.

Later on when you own all of the neutral regions and bandits start spawning inside your empire's borders, they can sometimes spawn immediately next to a city. This makes it impossible to navigate an army to them and stop them before they can capture it, so I lost a few regions by not having any garrisons (garrisons cost a lot of admin points). They're easy to re-capture since you can wipe out the enemy army then take the un-garrisoned city, and I think you get at least most of your admin points spent on the region back, if not all. So it's not a major loss, but it's a major drain trying to support all of the armies I have running around (4 armies of ~6-8k soldiers). Virtually everything is hard to keep up with now - services, armies, trade, even plopping down all the buildings I need is a neverending task - but I say that in a good way, ramping up from a little city to this has been great and it actually feels like the problems I as a player am facing have scaled appropriately with the problems my city itself has faced.

There are things I should clearly be doing here like extracting the ore and just having more farming/industry in general, etc. - I keep getting distracted by other things to do!

Storage is also becoming an issue at this stage - it's hard to keep scaling up at an appropriate speed. I'm copy/pasting a big ~40x30 warehouse several times just to store food and having a hard time keeping up. Part of that problem is that assigning goods to boxes in a new warehouse takes so many individual clicks though

As an aside: I've been experimenting with digging fishing ponds, 12x12 seems to be a sweet spot which allows 9 fishers and 0 non-fishable tiles. You can build farms on the sides of the pond to give them an irrigation bonus, it seems to be okay if your fishers stand on farm tiles while fishing.

I'm appreciating the scope and scale more and more - it's starting to feel like playing a grand strategy game where I solve grand strategy problems by actions taken on the city level and vice versa - playing the city and the city state in tandem and constantly balancing them between each other. It's really incredible how well this all comes together even though the individual systems aren't as nuanced as they are in other grand strategy games or citybuilders. The grand strategy stuff is still pretty barebones, it's engaging but there's not really a compelling reason to do it yet (diplomacy, victory conditions, etc), but it sounds like it has a lot of development yet to come. I've been auto-resolving all of the battles, the combat system that's in place is cool and will be fun one day but since there aren't different unit types and it's mostly just a numbers game it's not particularly fun to play.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 17, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

In the Steam Demo build, the food building before Feast Halls was called Kitchen, and subjects had a bar for Kitchen access. Changing it to Eatery makes it make a whole lot more sense, since both those and Canteens take in raw food and feed subjects as their service.

Source: I just went off the Steam Demo build a couple of days ago, after fooling around in it for a couple of days. I'm up to 300 population, with 60ish asking to immigrate. It's my third start; the first two were with Humans but I went with Cretonians on this one and drat are they easier to satisfy ~

I'm also following the 'foraged opium to kickstart your economy' advice, and, well, I've been easily able to afford the first two cratesworth of battle gear (as well as everything else I might need, including keeping baseline amounts of stone and wood in stock when the work crew is busy on builds or the wild harvest), with always half a million or better SyxCoinz in reserve.

I crossed the 200-pop line quite awhile ago and have got just over 150 troops trained up so far and released back to their jobs, so I'm feeling ok about our chances on the first raid. As labor is available I'm scaling up those numbers: since I'm not spending labor on the gear, the training time taking extra hands away from the odd-jobber ranks is the main bottleneck.

A thing I wanted to ask about is, I've always got just heaps of Pelts lying around, but my Leather Tailor never has enough work load for three entire workers, much less the full crew. Is this a warehouse/hauling thing? Should I be building tiny, relatively-dedicated storage nooks all in and around the manufacturing town, instead of a smaller number of larger warehouses?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LonsomeSon posted:

A thing I wanted to ask about is, I've always got just heaps of Pelts lying around, but my Leather Tailor never has enough work load for three entire workers, much less the full crew. Is this a warehouse/hauling thing? Should I be building tiny, relatively-dedicated storage nooks all in and around the manufacturing town, instead of a smaller number of larger warehouses?
I don't know how much it's going to do for practical numbers but the supply chains here are logistically very like Dwarf Fort. You basically want a warehouse with the inputs set to fetch stock and overflow room for outputs to be stored quickly. Ideally just next to major production cells. Any larger warehouses can be set without fetch as overflow storage.

I was fiddling a bit with my grain based production chains which have been getting starved the past couple years and Im not 100% sure how it calculated workload with regard to employees doing gopher work after the main production spots are filled because the auto setting was not raising up the worker count. When I've looked a little closer gophers seem to count as workload though so in your case I'm not super confident about what's happening if you see low workload. You might just be at entitlement in the workstations with more than enough gopher by the time you get sub 100% which means you just need more workstations but just double check you have enough bodies to fill workstations plus a gopher.

Different topic is there anywhere to see your world gen settings? I'm wondering what I have raids set to, it must be low or no because I still haven't seen one and I'm pushing 400-500 people.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Hmm, ok, now I'm envisioning industries with related inputs as the outer layer in a large structure, wrapped around an inner cluster of tiny warehouse rooms. Pretty sure I can make that work, going forward.

All my map gen settings have been bog standard, but with raids turned down (if that's possible before turning them off). It turned out that I ought in fact have been concerned: related, I finally noticed that the Administration building is at the bottom of the Infrastructure menu. Now I've got the province garrison to help me out, in addition to 1200 well-equipped vegetarian farmer militia, if I ever wanted to send 3/4ths of my population into harm's way...

I just pushed up to like 1,400 population, I've got about half of my map's river farmed, and about half of the un-exploited land has wild poo poo growing on it still. Trade leverage had started to break down, but I finally stockpiled my first 1800 knowledge and broke open gem mining, which was neat because the map's gem patch is near its tiny coal and ore patch, so I'm importing coal and ore and smelting that as well as locally sourced, some made from charcoal made from imported wood, instead of just importing metal now. Also changed over to making our own tools and battle gear, which is nice after buying hundreds of the one and thousands of the other.

I'm not yet sure if maybe replacing my small receiving depots with larger footprints will let me scale up importing somewhat, or if this is the ceiling, but I'm going to need an awful lot of tribute in materials instead of in cash crops if this is how it's going to work out. I can probably get up to 2,500 Cretonians on this map on my current approach, maybe more if working out how to control logistics is a big deal. Farm research alone will bump that up somewhat, too.

Oh, yeah, and I've got that many folks and they're all still bathing in wells, just a stupid loving pile of wells in the space between the bedroom community and the farm belt, because while I've gotten my statue work and poo poo up and am now stockpiling fancy stone, all of my poo poo is already consuming all of the coal I've managed to create or purchase. Cold communal bathing doesn't sound that much better than cold communal bucket bathing...which I guess means more tree farms and more charcoal burners. At least that last is pretty loving accurate, surely charcoal-burning took up some huge proportion of community labor almost everywhere where it gets worse than chilly at night, during the winter.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not sure if there's a way to see your world gen settings (maybe in the save file itself if you open it in notepad? most of this game's files are plain text) - but raids default to "Few" which is the lowest they can go without turning them off and it's not rare to go long times without seeing any. It seems to be a factor of something but I'm not sure what - overall army strength seems to be related (anecdotal, but I've got far fewer raids since really ramping up my world map army sizes) but there might be other things too, like loyalty or happiness.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Are raids the annoying noble event, where they ask for money and if you don't pay up, they attack after 4 days? I set mine to medium or whatever the next rung up from 'few' is, and I wish I never did. It's just annoying.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Qubee posted:

Are raids the annoying noble event, where they ask for money and if you don't pay up, they attack after 4 days? I set mine to medium or whatever the next rung up from 'few' is, and I wish I never did. It's just annoying.

Yeah, those are the ones. They're not actually nobles :ssh: I will probably turn them off next time I restart because right now they're just a "do you have an army" check, there's still plenty of battling to do via invading on the world map.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 17, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Double posting because the last post was getting long and messy and was full of edits, so I'm separating this stuff into a new post. I spent some time digging through the game files to get some exact stats on things - this is just a ton of text so it's hard to present neatly, I'll break different sections into quotes:

1) Racial stats/preferences
2) Daily worker yields from extraction buildings
3) Random facts I felt worth noting about all other room types (this includes what I think is the daily production input/output per worker for industry buildings)
4) What work types are fulfilling
5) Then down at the bottom of the post a couple unimportant things that I thought were interesting

If anyone wants to compile this info or anything from any of my posts into a google doc or a comprehensive guide, please do! I'm just word vomiting my observations in all these posts

quote:

Races

Cretonian
Lifespan: 75 years
Hate cold climates
Citizen rank Cretonians enjoy having slaves, other ranks don't care

Food Preference
Fruit, Vegetable, Bread, Egg

Structures
Like round (non-square) buildings
100% preference for wood buildings
50% preference for stone/grand stone buildings
0% preference for rooms dug into mountains

Work
Preferred: Farming (any), canteen, eatery, tavern
Production Bonuses:
Farms (40%)
Pastures (20%)
Fishing (20%)

Dondorians
Lifespan: 200 years
Likes cold climates
Hate hot climates
Tolerant temperate climates
10% offense/defense bonus
Citizen and Slave rank Dondorians hate slavery (citizens in particular, slaves are resistant to it). Nobles like having slaves.

Food Preference
Meat, fish, mushroom

Structures
Like square buildings
100% preference for rooms dug into mountains
70% preference for grand stone
50% preference for stone
Wood is unlisted (not sure if this is the same as 0% or not)

Work
Preferred: Masonry, Papermaker, Carpenter, Toolmaker, Weaponsmith, Tavern, Jeweller
Production Bonuses:
Mining (80%)
Refining (50%)
Workshop (the tab with masonry/papermaker/carpenter/etc) (40%)
Farming (-10%)
Toolmaker (20% - in addition to the Workshop bonus)
Weaponmaker (20%)
Jeweller (20%)
Mushroom Farm (20% - I'm guessing this equates to +10% overall for mushroom farms)

Human
Lifespan: 85 years
Tolerant of hot/cold climates
Prefers temperate climate
Don't seem to care about slavery one way or another

They're roughly twice as "intelligent" as other races, which I think affects libraries and admins in some way (increased capacity maybe?), not sure

Food Preference
Bread, fish, mushroom, egg

Structures
70% preference for grand stone
50% preference for wood, stone
30% preference for mountains
No preferences about round/square

Work:
Preferred: Library, Admin
Production Bonuses:
Farm (20%)
Library (50% - separate from any effect Intelligence has)
Admin (50% - separate from Intelligence)

Cantor
Lifespan: 800 years
Prefers cold climate
Slightly tolerant of temperate climate
Hates hot climate
have 50% natural armor and the same intelligence bonus as Humans
Cantor of all ranks looooove having slaves.

There's a section titled "Stats" that lists Cantor having bonuses to "ACCESS_AWE" and "SOLDIERS" - I think this means they have increased happiness demand for awe and soldiers, but it might be that they make good soldiers and generate awe?

Food Preference
Meat, Fish, Eggs

Structures
100% preference for grand stone
50% preference for stone
20% preference for mountain
Wood is unlisted (not sure if different from 0%)
No round/square preference

Work
Prefers: Weapon Smith
Production Bonuses:
Weapon Smith (+200%)

Garthimi
Lifespan: 100
Like hot climates
Tolerant of temperate climates
Don't like cold climates
20% of their damage pierces armor
30% natural armor

They have particularly low intelligence (10% of a human's) and seem to not care about being enslaved.

Food Preferences:
Meat, Fish

Structures
100% preference for mountain
100% preference for stone
20% preference for grand stone
20% preference for wood
Don't care about round/square

Work
Prefers: None

Production Bonuses: None :v: But they do have -10% to workshops and farms!

TLDR: No matter what you do, some races are just going to be unhappy if they live in your city.

in a perfect world you want all the races:

Humans for admin/library work
Cretonians for farms and food buildings
Dondorians for workshop buildings and soldiers
A few cantors for weapon smithies
(Enslaved or not) garthimi as soldiers

Other work types not listed here (e.g. Refining) don't have any races that favor or dislike them or get any bonuses from them.

Ideally you want all of your Dondorian-staffed workshops to be dug into the side of mountains

If you're focusing on only one or a few races, check out their preferred foods because you do not at all need all food types, and eating non-preferred foods doesn't give food preference happiness - this is a big part of what went wrong with my city I think, I was keeping a lot of EVERY kind of food, but I only had Humans so I should have limited it to bread, fish, mushrooms, and eggs

quote:

daily worker yields (before any bonuses) for extraction buildings:

Claypit: 3/day
Coal Mine: 2/day
Gem mine: 0.2/day
Ore mine: 1/day
Sithilon Mine: 0.1/day
Stone Pit: 0.5/day

quote:

Various Room facts (including daily yields for industry buildings and relative farm growth rates)
Admin - 8 admin points per worker
Library - 100 knowledge per worker

(I think these are the per-worker daily use and yield, just a guess though)
Carpenter - 3 wood = 1 furniture
Mason - 3 stone = 1.5 cut stone
Papermaker - 1 wood = 1 paper
Potter - 4 clay = 2 pottery
Tailor - 2 fabric = 2 clothes
Leatherworker - 1 leather = 1.5 clothes
Toolmaker - 1 coal + 1 metal = 1 tool
Weaponmaker - 0.5 metal + 0.5 coal = 0.5 battlegear
Rationmaker - 2 rations = 4 meat OR 5 bread OR 5 egg OR 6 fruit OR 6 vegetable
Bakery - 10 grain + 2 coal = 10 bread
Fruit Brewery - 5 fruit + 1.5 pottery + 1.5 coal = 5 drink (I don't think I've ever actually seen this building?)
Grain Brewery - 4 grain + 1.5 pottery + 1.5 coal = 4 drink
Coalmaker - 8 wood = 4 coal
Smelter - 3 coal + 3 ore = 3 metal
Weaver - 4 cotton = 4 fabric

Chambers - nobles only, 4x bonus
Dorms - 1.5x bonus for citizens, 2.5x bonus for slaves, no nobles
Flats - 2.5x bonus for citizens, 1x bonus for nobles, no slaves

Graveyard vs Tomb - the graveyard is only slightly worse as far as happiness goes (1.5x vs 2x for citizens, 2.5x vs 3x for nobles)

Woodcutter - 4x wood

Canteen - 2.5x bonus for citizens, 2x bonus for nobles, uses 0.2 coal (per day per worker I imagine). No bonus for slaves.
Eatery - 1.5x bonus for citizens, 2.5x bonus for slaves, -50% penalty for nobles
Tavern - 2x bonus for citizens, 1x bonus for nobles. No bonus for slaves.

Bathhouse vs Well - bathhouse is slightly preferred over well by citizens but not by a ton. Nobles will not use wells. Slaves will not use bathhouses.

Relative growth speeds for farms:
Grain - 1
Fruit - 0.5
Vegetable - 0.45
Cotton - 0.35
Mushroom - 0.3
Opiates - 0.1

quote:

What work types are fulfilling (before taking racial preferences into account) - anything not listed has a baseline 0% fulfillment
100% fulfillment:
Court
Guardpost
Hunter
Admin
Library
Carpenter
Jewelry
Mason
Papermaker
Potter
Tailor
Leather Tailor
Toolmaker
Weaponmaker
Rationmaker

50% fulfillment:
Prison

20% fulfillment:
Bakery
Brewery
Coalmaker
Pasture
Chamber

Misc. other things
I think this means trade costs scale with distance from trade partner: TRADE_COST_PER_TILE: 0.05,

This is in the settings file that controls how time operates which maybe hints at future development (or maybe it's already a thing, I haven't gone past 250 years as far as I know)
YEARS_PER_AGE: 250,
AGES: 5,

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 17, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Qubee posted:

They are annoying, but otoh they’re also free slaves delivered to your doorstep

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've avoided thinking too hard about slaves or asking questions because of the squick but my first raid has me wondering what is even the point. Unless I'm missing something about retaining them, their needs stabilize over 2 seasons just in time for half of them to run away despite trending toward 100% complacency or whatever their need bar is called.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

You can just free slaves once you get them, then you’re not a pixel slaver

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've never used slaves either but do you have guardposts and stuff? I'd imagine that even if slaves are complacent they don't want to be slaves, but running away is against the law.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If I click my guard posts I have coverage over the workplaces they're working at. I think I noticed the guards kill a runaway once but I didn't actually see what killed them. I don't know if they need to be closer than their overall coverage but I tend toward 100% arrest law coverage so I don't think I have a law gap.

From a gameplay perspective I was interested in being able to cover other races production bonuses as well as what seems their main attraction, low fulfillment jobs, without going all in on a happiness panoply but if they're just going to run off with my clothing and tools I might as well just make them citizens if not ignore it altogether because Id have more than enough immigrants to not care about picking them up off the battlefield.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm glad to see a thread about this, I saw it on like page 50 of the roguelikes section on Steam and thought it looked interesting. The price is on the steep side though, for something in early access.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm glad to see a thread about this, I saw it on like page 50 of the roguelikes section on Steam and thought it looked interesting. The price is on the steep side though, for something in early access.

If you're on the fence try the demo, it's the full game but ~6 months behind in the development cycle.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

How come my people never equip more than 2 clothing items regardless of how many I have stockpiled?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Click the Citizens tab in the top left menu on the city screen (the one that shows population + happiness), then click the "Equipment" tab on that screen and you can set how many clothes they'll grab (up to 5)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Click the Citizens tab in the top left menu on the city screen (the one that shows population + happiness), then click the "Equipment" tab on that screen and you can set how many clothes they'll grab (up to 5)

Thank you! They hid that one away well. The 2/5 on the screen when you have someone selected made me think they'd try to equip 5 by default.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Some musings on logistics and construction since the game kind of leaves you wondering what is the point of things like haulers vs warehouses.

Warehouse workers and haulers get carts and can carry a bunch at once. This is important or else you would never be able to move stuff fast enough. You probably want at least one worker for any warehouse you build, even small storage closets you might stick into your production cells.

Warehouse workers and haulers get decent fulfillment. If your odd jobbers are otherwise cleaning up a harvest or something, its in your interest to turn them into warehouse workers even temporarily.

Fetch is a mode you set per item in a warehouse or per hauler node. Fetch tells the worker to look inside warehouses for the items. Anything in a warehouse or hauler not set to fetch is available to grab for somewhere else that is set to fetch. Generally speaking when a good is set to fetch, only end users get to pull it out of storage. When not set to fetch, workers will only pull it from the ground or the output of a production station.
Simpley put: fetch to pull from another warehouse without fetch. No fetch to only pick up from the ground or output of stations

Warehouse is pretty obviously the main pillars of your storage. You have chests assigned to items and these become your permanent supply chain view: anything in a chest is visible as inventory in the right menu, and your max inventory vs current inventory over all warehouses is used to trigger your trade % rules.

Haulers are a more ephemeral sort of storage. This stuff doesn't go into your inventory so to speak. If set to fetch its pulling it out of inventory even. Its available to end users - end users just care about distance. But its not on the books even inside a fetch station.

Putting it all together: feeding bread from a eatery
Grain field does its thing
Near the grain field you create a granary warehouse: a number of chests set to grain, no fetch, one or several warehouse workers. You can add and subtract these workers seasonally or combine with continuous storage of other raw materials nearby. Or just leave them, idle workers will do odd jobs eventually but I'm not sure if they lose fulfillment. These guys will take their cart and make collecting the harvest much quicker
Near a bakery you create a production warehouse: a number of chests to grain set to fetch. a number of chests set to bread no fetch. One or several warehouse workers. Once you find a good number of warehouse workers they should stay pretty constant. These guys will take their cart, go to the granary (or the field if its closer and has grain laying around still), and drop off grain at their warehouse. They'll also take their cart and collect the bread off the oven outputs.
Near an eatery you create a pantry warehouse: a number of chests of bread set to fetch (while we are here, anything else you want served set to fetch). One worker will probably do you unless you scale up to massive cafeterias of eatery and canteens with the full food spread for multiple races. This worker will take their cart and fill the pantry from that production warehouse.
Overall we are using warehouses with fetch to pull goods to where they are needed most while using no fetch to sweep goods off the floor or out of work station outputs.

So far there are no haulers right? So what's the point of them? You could theoretically use them as seasonal or specialist harvest help to move stuff in fields or maybe lumber and stone you've manually harvested. Put the hauler next to its final resting place. But you can do the same thing by setting your warehouse workers temporarily higher so still what is the point?

Haulers are more like builder logistics.

If you are building meticulously, you are going to want to build far away from some of your current odd jobber hot spots. Odd jobbers are gonna lean toward where your services are. They pick out work by proximity so might wander a bit but you'll notice your building priority tends to radiate from your service centers. You might see why this becomes a problem if your perfect capital needs a warehouse over there away from the quiet residential area. Even if you build organically out from a splat of mixed residential and industry, you're eventually gonna want to build on a resource deposit or put up a wall or just make a suburb. Haulers and builders are here to help.

Builders basically let you place focuses for any job that is placed through the build menu - building buildings obviously, but also land changes like remove water or even clear trees and rocks. Instead of just hanging about after your last job or leisure break like an odd jobber, you hang out at the outpost and find the next nearest thing.

Builders still don't get carts. They are task and space specialized odd jobbers still. Haulers are here to help. Let's say where you are building is not near a building material warehouse and never will be. You use haulers to make sure your builders have wood, stone, and metal to do their job without taking singletons back and forth 5 miles. Your most used haulers (once your warehouses are up to snuff) are thus gonna be wood, stone, and metal set to fetch. If you want to take advantage, you do this a step ahead of setting up a builder outpost because the builders will still make good reservation 5 miles away if that's all they have for their job.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Great post. There are two ways that you can increase carrying capacity - There's a research (costing 200/400/600/800/1000) that increases the carry count of "deliverymen" and "out warehouse workers" by +1 each time you research it, and there's an Admin Policy (Infrastructure) that increases it for the entire region by 10% each rank. I'm guessing that the admin policy is more geared toward increasing it for import/exports, where the research is for increasing it for your in-city deliverypeople.

Does anyone know what the base carrying capacity is? I feel like I saw the number 3 somewhere for it, but I know that warehouse workers/haulers can regularly carry ~15 of an item at a time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Carrying capacity on the world map is carrying capacity, the theoretical max number of living humanoids in your region. Your region has a base capacity, carrying capacity is a multiplier on it. Your population grows to the carrying capacity based on pop growth, with a pop mix based on at first relative biome suitability but eventually including elevation or prosecution if you use those. You can see per race influence of all of these hovering over the pop mix bars on your admin menu in the map.

You can see your city map bonuses at any time at a glance in the status menu to see the logistic research is carry capacity instead.

I just loaded up into a grain harvest and have a bunch of people carting grain around and with +0 carry capacity, they are taking 22 grain in a cart. I don't have enough research to see what it does different with +1 and the game is suddenly crashing on alt tabs to try and hurry up and see once I do. But if they start carrying around 23 that is a curiously balanced research.

e. They grab 23 grain but I also think it might be resource dependent. I set up some coal and wood haulers and see them grabbing 16 with the research, so that would be base 15 on them. It's a 5-7% increase which I don't think will be eliminating hauler jobs in a hurry.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 18, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, that doesn't sound worth going out of your way for. I've been prioritizing that as my first research but something like furniture production is probably better (for more exports).

I'm experimenting with some different layouts and pathing ideas and I don't have any "best practices" to share yet but some observations:

To min/max your happiness gain from things like Access, you'll need to really think about your pathways through your city. Any time spent outside of road tiles, for example, is a loss of Road Access, but if you just pave everything with road tiles you need an absurd amount of janitors to keep up with the maintenance. At the end of the day it's probably better to either build your buildings very precisely to take up all non-road space, or use fences to corral your pop onto the roads so they don't take shortcuts through random little grass alleyway tiles.

There are a lot of ways you can lay a city like this out but I'm going to try creating a central services/housing area surrounded by a sizable plaza (~7 tiles wide on each side maybe). That plaza would then be surrounded by industries, fences, lavatories, etc - to keep everyone mostly walled into the plaza (unless they're leaving for a far away farming/extracting job). 7 tiles is enough space that I can build several monuments/torches around to not only cover the plaza in awe but to leak into the buildings a little as well.

I tried something similar out for my import area - it's a large plaza that has several import depots, and it's ringed with small warehouses that each only store one specific item:

This actually works really well, since all of the imports get dropped right next to the warehouses I can get by with 1-2 employees in each warehouse, and each warehouse is set to ~10% radius to make sure that its employees are only going out to pick up imports. Then any other warehouse can be built and set to fetch to have them restock from these central warehouses, or I could just drop a few haulers to bring an industry whatever resources it needs.

(Bigger warehouses with multiple goods is probably more efficient but I like being able to glance at them as a visual indicator of my level of imports)

At the end of the day though I very much appreciate the way that min/maxing to such a granular level is not necessary in this game because the sheer volume of producers of a resource or pops or whatever means it's pretty much impossible to worry about them, and it's not necessary anyway.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 18, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the sustainable urban development that isn't just export junk for 10 years then build a downtown ex nihilo is you start by demarcating plots with fences so you can get away with corralled single wide roads for decent road access. Knockdown the fence and replace with buildings as you develop.

If we assume the plots turn into row buildings then the next step is deciding on a neutral ground approach to fit in your monuments and torches. The way these bleed through doors meeting up with just aesthetic choices you can either include front yards that can fit 2x2 torches/monuments but are fenced to corral people towards doors. That's maybe a more aesthetic choice. Or you can include alcoves inside the buildings that have the torch and monument inside and bleed out to the road; I think I theoretically like that one better because I think workers spend more time in a building than outside walking but I haven't actually tried it because I am married to organic chaos town at the moment.

Anyway by the time you have cut stone I think you can worry a lot less about corralling to roads. You have a fair bit of leeway to build up road access because I assume it bakes in that you are gonna spend some time in buildings and higher level roads fulfill it with fewer steps so if you have a cut stone road in key places you might make up for some cut corners through a lawn.

In my organic chaos town I just build stone 1-2 wide roads on the desire lines in road build mode :effort: Sitting at 85% road access or so.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’ve been building four-wide dire roads, and filling them in with 2x2 torches and then monuments along the middle two tiles, for all of the main through-ways, and it’s been working pretty well. I need to get around to coming up with a build pattern for a diagonal boulevard in this fashion which looks tolerable.

For much of the time it was just the outer road layers, and once the torches started filling in I also filled in the middle ways, leaving a 2x2 unpaved on either side of each torch, since Monuments were going in there eventually. Turns out you just can’t stop trees from growing, until the statuary went in anyway.

With this approach, I’ve been building out a Loud downtown, and a bedroom community north on the other side of the river, with a nice generous farm-and-pasture belt on either side between them. Both are composed of large segmented structures surrounded by the roadways I’ve described, and my town of 1,400 Cretonians employs three full Janitor crews, not always at more than 90% workload.

What it does is give me a very clear and straightforward way to expand the two towns and build more in a fashion which is aesthetically pleasing within the confines of the game, satisfies needs as well as speeding travel times, and allows me to be confident that what I’m laying out is more or less permanent. If needed any existing rooms within a block-structure can be merged or otherwise edited, and the outer walls could even be replaced, without loving around with the existing road grid.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Anyone know what's going on with the pathing here?

My guys, going from top-right to bottom-left, run off the road for a moment after they pass through the tunnel. I'm gonna fix it with a fence but I don't get why it's happening in the first place when just following the road is the more direct route.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Things I learned 20 hours in that are barely mentioned in the tutorial or out of game sources but have completely changed how I manage buildings:

In the build menu, doors are really wall gates
Normal buildings are entirely made of wall tiles or ceiling tiles.
Ceiling tiles are simply indoor but walkable so these are doors. In fact when you use build rooms with walls the door button actually places ceiling.
Using the build structures pallet you can quickly switch from ceiling to floor without a full demolish and rebuild letting you refactor buildings incredibly fast if you want to change layout or connect an annex to the building
Work stations and auxiliaries can change size just like torches and monuments. The larger sizes use space much more efficiently without triggering "can't access part of the room" errors during placement.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I just realised the research screen has an X axis :aaa:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ah, so I don’t need to demolish the walls first, I can just build roof tiles over them to swap them out?!

Phenomenal to know, thanks! With Rimworld dropping tomorrow it’ll probably be a bit before I get back into this but that alone should make a bunch of poo poo more straightforward.

UI gripe: when editing to expand a room, like particularly a farm, canceling out of it demolishes the entire thing and then requires seed produce for the previously-cultivated tiles to be re-cultivated (or rebuilding of the existing benches and poo poo). Can easily be compensated for by imports…if you’ve got the coin and if those supplies aren’t needed for food, like say because you accidentally deleted a huge grain farm in the beginning of the growing season :sigh:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Another useful but not very well documented feature: there's a button by the minimap that toggles different data overlays. The one for deposits is nice when tunneling out mountains for mines/quarries, and the traffic one is good for figuring out where to place facilities and torches to maximize bang-for-buck in terms of access.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

uhhhhh I spent a bunch of time looking for overlays, which it seemed like must be somewhere, and imagining the UI right now still can't place where this button is! I, unironically, fucken love this specific flavor of UI jank for reasons I can't quite define!

Thanks for the heads-up, I will look for it when next I'm stating up my city.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if resource deposits are hidden in mountains ever? Like if I start digging out a cave will I come across some ore that didn't show up on the overlay previously until it was discovered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Popete posted:

Does anyone know if resource deposits are hidden in mountains ever? Like if I start digging out a cave will I come across some ore that didn't show up on the overlay previously until it was discovered?

Well I’ve dug into precisely one mountain so far, but when I was laying out the extraction ‘room’ all the deposit tiles were highlighted, and before I dug out the space for them the tiles were all visible in the right-click-hold info view. I had to swap out of the dog orders tool to check the deposits several times, since I didn’t know about the toggle control >.>