Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I found the overview the first time I ever played and didn't need it for a while. By the time I wanted it again I had completely forgot about it and thought that maybe I had just mixed it up with the smart overlays you get in certain contexts. I found it again independently a few days ago.

Popete posted:

Does anyone know if resource deposits are hidden in mountains ever? Like if I start digging out a cave will I come across some ore that didn't show up on the overlay previously until it was discovered?
What you see is what you get. There is basically a map start meta game to reroll till you get the deposits you want since you can see them all from the start and region is not the be all end all driver of presence or richness compared to the RNG at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not sure if there's a way to see your world gen settings (maybe in the save file itself if you open it in notepad? most of this game's files are plain text) - but raids default to "Few" which is the lowest they can go without turning them off and it's not rare to go long times without seeing any. It seems to be a factor of something but I'm not sure what - overall army strength seems to be related (anecdotal, but I've got far fewer raids since really ramping up my world map army sizes) but there might be other things too, like loyalty or happiness.

I'm guessing there's a pop floor below which you see absolutely none; I've done a couple centuries of building tall because there's nothing to really push me to build wide and deal with military presumably because I built tall, and haven't seen anything more dangerous than a smilodon.

It's kind of a surprise, this included a mass opium and gems exporter with a barely-trained militia and a completely disarmed sithilon mine, both of which should be tempting targets for small raids.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

So is everyone else going all-in on tool tech? Seems to me a bonus to tool production is basically a bonus to everything production?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 21, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Alright here's my latest attempt:

Central storage/services, extraction to the south and east, industry to the southwest and northwest, and then agriculture up top, I'm at 5k population right now and am almost completely free of imports.

The major roadblock I was facing was Jewelry, which is absurdly slow to produce. There are no Jewelry-specific production researches so the most you can do for it is get the Workshop research bonus which caps at +55% (Compared to e.g. Tool Forging which caps at 430% to Tool Forging and gets the +55% workshop bonus (It might even stack multiplicatively?), on top of Jewelry crafting slowly this means my Jewelers produce less than 10% of what other industry buildings produce, and that requires importing a large amount of gems since it's just not feasible to tax or mine enough to produce all the Jewelry you need.

I have a 50% happiness bonus from my King rank right now plus however much from research so I tried dropping everyone down to just 1x Jewelry (as opposed to 3x before) and even that was not nearly enough to keep up, I'd still need dozens of jewelers just to break even on jewelry.

So gently caress it, I dropped everyone down to 0 jewelry and saw no noticeable hit to overall happiness. Turns out you don't need everything maxed out to hit 100% happiness.

Now I just need enough rationmakers to keep up with my armies (or I could just disband my armies since I have raids turned off... but I kind of want to capture enemy empires).

I could probably even get rid of my mines with how much I'm taxing from all of my regions now.

Also prices got really weird in this save. Sithilon ore is around 500g each, Opiates have tanked to 30. Cotton is worth 70 and meat is around 400 :confused: I'm getting rich off of cotton/cloth/meat this time.

Side note: Is anyone else having a really hard time keeping Canteens below 100% load? I spam them everywhere and it still happens. Putting Eateries near them seems to help but the canteens still hover at like 98%+

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 21, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

My canteens and eateries are pretty much always overloaded, I think I need to try building giant mess halls with dedicated food warehouses instead of messing around with little hole in the wall diners wherever I can squeeze them in

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

They seem to serve about the same number of citizens regardless of size but larger ones let you stuff more workers in to keep them stocked; I've managed to get 60% access with two large ones (19x19, I think about 40 workers each) in a 1200 pop game. I also have them directly adjacent to large warehouses that just hold the items the eatery has enabled.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Canteens are obscene. I plan to do most of my feeding through eateries and place canteens as a special treat.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's probably the best way to do it. Citizens get a 2.5x happiness boost from Canteens and 1.5x from Eateries, in the grand context of all of the things that contribute to happiness that's basically nothing. You could reserve canteens for just nobles (who get a happiness penalty from eateries) but you also never have more than ~12 nobles so :shrug:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Do canals actually work? I'm not seeing any change in the overall fertility rating of a farm I dug one next to, nor seeing anything happen on the fertility overlay as I dig one.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Do canals actually work? I'm not seeing any change in the overall fertility rating of a farm I dug one next to, nor seeing anything happen on the fertility overlay as I dig one.

Farms have an "irrigation" factor which supposedly adds to the productivity. For an 8x8 farm, four tiles of canal (or any fresh water access) is enough to get it to 100%.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If anyone wants to be a dirty cheater, you can easily mod the amount of resources per map:

It has some unintended cheaty effects/downsides though:
1) This tanks the trade prices for all extractable materials - the AI empires also get way more and so there's an oversupply

and 2) It also increases the amount that all regions get of these materials which means you can tax an absurd amount that you'll never actually use.

But if you want to be completely self-sufficient with no taxing/trading, this may be kind of necessary.

The files to edit are in:
\Steam\steamapps\common\Songs of Syx\res\data\assets\init\resource\minable

There's a plain text file for each individual resource and in each one you can set the terrain ratios to make that resource more common in certain terrains.

e.g. for clay in that screenshot I have:

TERRAIN: {
WET: 0.8,
NONE: 0.5,
MOUNTAIN: 0.8,
},

You can also set city map terrain generation rules in:
\Steam\steamapps\common\Songs of Syx\res\data\assets\init\config\GenerationSettlement.txt

To raise the "MINERALS_AMOUNT" (I have it set to 0.7 in the screenshot above) as well as things like controlling what percentage of the map is mountain, or how many forageables there are

e: vvv If you meant the Dev Tools interface, you can place resources on your map using it but I don't think you can affect the generation rate of them. If there's some other tool I'm not aware of I wanna see it!!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 23, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you want to be fancy about it and not have it get blown up every update or file validation, I think those values are all available in the mod interface so you can load it as a mod instead of making changes to the base files.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Has anyone tried waiting out the invasion you get after an unbroken siege? I rolled a start where I basically only need to leave my mountain cave for clay, wood, and immigrants, curious whether I could just refill the exit until they gently caress off but haven't had one yet to try.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The game won't let you completely block your throne off from the edges of the map, and that's what sieges are going for. You can buy mercenaries or raise a regional army on the world map, or pay the raiders off, or train a local garrison. I just turn them off though, they're not a very interesting adversary currently. Use that regional army to conquer your neighbors instead!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

e: vvv If you meant the Dev Tools interface, you can place resources on your map using it but I don't think you can affect the generation rate of them. If there's some other tool I'm not aware of I wanna see it!!
I missed this for a while cause it was in an edit but there is a mod folder with some basic interfacing to get it to show up in the launcher with a tldr: you can probably copy stuff out of the plain text main files into a mod file and use the loader to load it on top instead of making changes that can get overwritten by updates or validation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_OesG68HtJ4CwyHK7M72hQDOaCjeqgqT/view

There's some more community docs on spritesheet layouts, techs etc. on itch too https://songsofsyx.mod.io/guides

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Roflex posted:

Farms have an "irrigation" factor which supposedly adds to the productivity. For an 8x8 farm, four tiles of canal (or any fresh water access) is enough to get it to 100%.

lmao, of course fertility and irrigation are entirely different stats, why wouldn't they be? thanks friend :)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well, just finished conquering the map. The AI is completely braindead so it's just an army size check. An army of 15K fully armed and trained troops will wipe the floor with all the AI stacks, which will suicide into you piecemeal when you invade. The only challenge is in building up the infrastructure to support that many troops in the field - you'll need a lot of military depots. I had three large warehouses dedicated to supplying the troops - one for battlegear, one for rations, and one for clothes and drinks, each serviced by multiple depots. Teching also gets a bit ridiculous - I'm pretty sure ancient cities weren't 33% libraries by land area.

Didn't rely on trade too heavily, I sold furniture to buy a bit of metal in the early game before I got my smelters up and running, probably bought some supplementary food along the way but most everything else was produced locally or taxed.

My capital, 7k pop (with 2k available immigrants)

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 26, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Pro tip that I just learned:

In order to receive taxed goods, you need an import depot set to receive that type of item. Just set the Import level to "Below 0%" if you don't want to buy any

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A campaign map only army is probably the way to go especially once you have a good supply chain going and especially because you can levy any races in your provinces so you can get dondorian and bug troops. But I really like the ebb and flow of drafting your army from the capital and returning when you're done. The only thing I can't tell if I love to hate or hate to love is everyone comes back as an immigrant when it comes to service satisfaction, tanking your happiness with all the associated crime and immigrant reluctance. I can't tell if this is thematically on point because they are just coming home and tearing poo poo up in a victory party or just really annoying.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Pro tip that I just learned:

In order to receive taxed goods, you need an import depot set to receive that type of item. Just set the Import level to "Below 0%" if you don't want to buy any

Well that explains how you were finding it impossible to tax enough gems for your jewelers. I was a bit confused because I never even researched gem mining in my game and I was taxing enough from 2-3 provinces to supply my 23x13 jewelry factory and still be sitting at my 11k storage cap for gems, which was enough to max the bonus happiness humans get for them. To be honest though that caught me out at first too. I wasn't until after taking a few provinces I started wondering where the taxed goods would appear since I never saw any deliveries coming in to my warehouses, which prompted me to check the help entry for importers which confirmed they receive tributes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

When I first started taxing things I was importing basically everything anyway so the taxes still showed up on my production amounts. It wasn't until after I stopped trying to rely on trade that I suddenly was getting nothing :doh: edit: Lmao you were right about gem imports

zedprime posted:

A campaign map only army is probably the way to go especially once you have a good supply chain going and especially because you can levy any races in your provinces so you can get dondorian and bug troops. But I really like the ebb and flow of drafting your army from the capital and returning when you're done. The only thing I can't tell if I love to hate or hate to love is everyone comes back as an immigrant when it comes to service satisfaction, tanking your happiness with all the associated crime and immigrant reluctance. I can't tell if this is thematically on point because they are just coming home and tearing poo poo up in a victory party or just really annoying.

I'm eager to see what happens with the entire army/battle system as the game develops because yeah, even though things like manually playing battles or raising a local garrison are sort of pointless currently, they're still somehow fun. Aggressive AI empires (and diplomacy), map movement speed based on army size (so small bands of raiders could evade your big world map armies and make you need garrisons), raiders being independent entities instead of a thing that spawns solely to walk at your city and attack, multiple unit types and non-army-scale threats appearing on the city map to encourage a garrison would all go a long way

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 30, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The import/export interface is pretty clever and also kind of entirely unexplained. On your goods UI there's a red gem next to your sliders. When it lights up you have caravans that have arrived in the overmap but haven't offloaded yet because they haven't spawned in the capitol map or gotten to the import depot.

Beside trade and taxes, post siege plunder is also done as a map caravan with the same mechanics. And least intuitively if you do happen to use a capitol based army that you return to the capital, all the army goods come back as a caravan.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You get your stuff back if you disband an army you raised in a different province too

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's a Canteen that has been able to provide service to 50% of a 523-person city by itself

I separated the cooking and eating areas into different rooms in the same structure which let me cram way more cooking areas in. This also sits right at the entrance to my mountain base and the roads/paths going north out of it are the main entrance my civs use to get into the base, so everyone's regularly passing through it when they go out to farm, haul imports, etc.

I think just having the 2 giant separate areas for cooking and eating made the difference though, and it takes a ton of employees to run.

It's nice digging a base into a mountain because it's super easy to control the roads/paths and layout. I'm just digging a bunch of mostly 10x16 rooms for easy copy/pasting. Just remember to dig little alcoves for your janitors/guards!

I've seen everything the game has to offer in its current state at this point, it's still pretty fun to just slap cities together and watch them grow but there's not much left. I can't wait for all the future development, the roadmap shows a lot of plans for adding new services types (like schools, health/sanitation, diseases, riots and riot control...) which is what this game needs most. The city builder part is fun enough to stand on its own it just needs more to do and some challenges (like diseases and riots)

edit: It really needs either a food warehouse right next to it or some food haulers. I'm up to 671 pop, I dug 2 6x2 pantries in the side of the cooking room and added haulers for meat, fish, mushrooms and coal like shown here. Now this canteen is covering 66% of my 671 population and never actually runs out of services

I have a feeling the little hauler pantries will be a big boost to taverns as well

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 28, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I was just about to ask but yeah, I tried upgrading my eateries to cafeterias directly and it cut their service ability down to 5 people from 28 (I mainly build small rooms). From what I see there, I want to build big in a central location? Because I feel like I might end up building a massive cafeteria that can only service so much of my pop because they're just too far away, wasting all that effort.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

toasterwarrior posted:

I was just about to ask but yeah, I tried upgrading my eateries to cafeterias directly and it cut their service ability down to 5 people from 28 (I mainly build small rooms). From what I see there, I want to build big in a central location? Because I feel like I might end up building a massive cafeteria that can only service so much of my pop because they're just too far away, wasting all that effort.

If you wind up not running your cafeteria to capacity, you can always build some in more remote sites to serve those folks then grow your population such that your central folks are using the poo poo you built for them!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Current Status and V59 Some updates on future updates and reflection posted:

Deer despots,

The latest conquest update really propelled the game to new heights in terms of exposure and sales. It's both good and bad, I would prefer the game to stay under the radar until I feel it's polished and fleshed out enough for no one to find any complaints and be able to have a close relationship with anyone getting involved, or playing it. And crash-free of course.

Not that I'm complaining. This is all unbelievable to me and a huge thanks to every one of you, and especially those who come back with praise/criticism/feedback. I'm just sad, I might not be able to give you the response I used to be able to do. The hours of the day just isn't enough, and I have to focus on game progression for everyone sake in the long term.

The next update will be rich in "quality of life" features, based on suggestions. For one, we'll see a bulk copier tool that allows you to select anything (rooms, jobs, roads, etc. ) of any size, rotate it and slap it down somewhere else. It also contains the possibility to save room-plans between games. Logistics within the city will be more or less finalized, with multi carry for everyone, and a new transport-room that has animal powered carts that will ship huge amounts anywhere on the map. Knowledge will also be polished and finalized.

New features includes procreation that will take place in nursery rooms. subject will visually have gender and there will be children. Immigration will now be but a second way of boosting your workforce. The benefit of procreation is that you get to educate your children in a school system. You can choose to either teach them stuff, which boosts productivity and gains you knowledge, or indoctrinate them, making them easier to control.

Tyranny will be a new term, and can be gained through indoctrination and by other means, such as statues, soldiers on active duty (I'll try to make them march around), executions, or secret police. With more tyranny, you can have lower happiness without risking riots.

I'll also attempt to balance the game. As it stands currently, I think there are many exploits there that allows you to basically skip the mid-game and tax your way to world dominance. I'm planning on making it so that you need a much bigger army presence in regions to be able to tax them without them revolting.

The game released in September last year, and I hope to release V59 before a year has passed, so that I can say I do 6 major updates per year. A year ago, I thought I'd work on the city builder part of the game for 3 more years, now I think it's closer to 2 years. This is what I'm still aiming at doing:

Religion (temples, cultists, human sacrifice, power struggles and riots between religions)
Entertainment (stage for actors, singers, maybe arenas for gladiators)
Health (pandemics and epidemics. Doctors, wards)
Nobility (Smarter, interesting nobility that has wills of their own and needs to be pleased for gains. Nobles will have their own homes and families and require some micro)

Once the city builder has all this, I will consider it to be 1.0, and move on to military related updates (which I know many of you are eagerly waiting for, sorry). And after that, I'll focus on the world map and empire management.

Recent update from the dev, sounds like the game has gotten more popular.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also thanks for the detailed posts in the earlier pages, one thing I've been struggling with in this game is how off every production ratio seems to be, and it's been kinda frustrating figuring poo poo out since the numbers do not seem to match with results in reality. I may restart with the knowledge that a human and not-dwarf city should probably skimp on farming veggies and fruit, especially since like having 4 hunters do their poo poo can somehow feed all the way up to 500 citizens, along with a mountain of leather that I somehow can't satisfy my clothes demand with despite multiple workshops.

Also drat, humans like eggs for food? These fuckers are out of their minds, that poo poo sells for like 3x/4x times an equal load of furniture.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I never saw much reason to restrict myself to one or two races, I just took in everyone. The happiness modifiers for building shape and materials are really minor and every race gets a bonus to something so why not get them in and working at that? I had my humans doing all the research and admin, the farmer dudes farming, bugs in the armies and doing stuff like hauling and janitor work that no-one gets a bonus to anyway, dwarfs mining and refining, and my handful of giants smithing. Worked just fine.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Big opt-in beta patch just dropped. Adds kids and procreation rooms (:yikes:), women, education, riots, a new species, savable room configurations and a bunch of other stuff. Might fire it up again.

quote:

Path notes, V0.59

Patch notes will automatically be shown when something new has been added to the game!
Rebalance happiness in general. Should now be more stable, and immigration shouldn't ruin it.
Rebalance a few technologies.
Added more flavour to all species.
Tech tree now allows unlocking multiple techs at once.
Slave uprisings. Slaves no longer runs away. If they are unhappy enough they will rebel.
Slaves can now be sold to the slaver
Riots. When loyalty is low for subjects there is a chance for a riot. Can be put down with guards and soldiers.
Law remade. Much easier at first and climbs with your population. Happiness is no longer such a big factor.
Burials now count differently. If no deaths take place, value will be based on available grave spots.

Farm and pasture yields increased slightly
Production rate remake for all rooms. Adds intelligence as a possible factor and a lot of tweaks for better balance.
Fixed correct training for your city divisions on the world map.
Fixed library/admin paper bug, and made gaining tech/admin faster, while decaying at a lower speed.
Warning icon on harvestable food when not ripe added.
University room for education of adults
New smart remove tool.
Reconstructing rooms with different structure now works.
Workflow of room construction made better. Now refurnish without prompt & builds over other jobs.
When hovering a job/ something buildable, you'll be prompted to build jobs of the same type by hitting a hotkey.
New translation opportunities through crowdin. The idea is that the game will ship with these translations automatically, no need for mods.
New species, the Tilapi. Thrives in forests, and likes to eat people. Hates basically everyone. Good fighters and herders.
New portraits for all races. Thanks to Bendi!
Storage and logistics wiki entry
Immigration can now be set to a absolute number.
Launcher screen selection is now a bit clearer and simpler.
Education added. Education + intelligence = production boosts and knowledge. Will decrease loyalty a bit.
Indoctrination as an option to education. Indoctrination only adds to submission regardless of education.
School added. Can only be used by children. Will rapidly educate them.
Changed so that wild growables spawn based on yield rate, and decreased regeneration of all of them.
Added a multitude of hotkeys and new ways of assigning them.
Path notes will automatically be shown when something new has been added!
Children. Walks around and eats your food while contributing to nothing. Can also go to school.
New procreation rooms that lets you make new citizens. Breeder for Cretonians, Nursery for men and Hatchery for Garthimis.
Rooms on battle minimap fixed
Nerfed hunter success by 50%
Room refurnishing vanishing resources fix.
Added addition useful info to the food days tooltip.
Fixed disparaging enemy garrisons after battles
Tweaked pathing a bit. More road usage, and smoother paths.
Hearths now used once a week, even if no one is cold.
Fixed population decline in world regions.
Remade room, work and priority panels.
Made slaughtered animals into skeletons in pastures, so to stop the confusion.
World generation now have moddable blueprints for the terrain. Random seed also added.
Export depot remade into a static design, and has only one resource. Global settings for exporting in the UI
Visual genders for certain species, with feminine and masculine names.
Admin nerfed slightly. Harder to remain in control of regions. You need either an army stationed, or a big garrison.
Admin room now unlocks at Cheiftain (500 people)
Import depots have controls for global import level.
Import depot has a visual resource
Lavatory basins fixed
Janitors do a better job at fetching needed resources
New title system. Titles can be unlocked and then used with a new game. Unlocked titles persist between games and also hopefully versions.
Savable room layouts that will also hopefully survive between versions.
x200 speed added if you push the third speed key twice.
Some rooms leave the floor/road when deleted
Steam achievements now triggered when you press the sync steam button.
Trade resource counter fixed
Bonuses in status panel sorted alphabetically
Warehouse and export depot UI fixes
Added tooltip for equipping resources with their wear-rate
Improved the room creation UI
Added UI for how much a race like other races in the race info panel
Some needs now resets, such as drink. Will help that initial drink supplying.
Improved canteen workers significantly and their usage as well.
New room - transport. A cart pulled by animals that is loaded and then sent to a destination. Requires livestock to operate. Moves 200 items at a time.
Hauler now come in different sizes.
Made freed slaves immigrants, so you'll have some time before their expectations rise.
Smarter Deliverymen
All now have multi-carry capabilities. They'll carry up to 3 resources, and be a bit smarter about it.
Refiners have common storage for output.
Deliverymen has had their carry capacity nerfed a bit.

Prolonged the day-length. This is to optimise things and make distances less important. Leisure time can be experienced as longer in early game though.
New stat: riches. Based on the amount of credits you have per citizen.
Military depots have setting how much they'll be filled.
Trade interval halved, more frequent trades. Good deals for SoS. Trade reworked, should be better in general.
Import depots has more storage.
New penalty for exports. You'll be paid less at the beginning, but this penalty can be reduced by techs and levels.
AI now receives tribute as to what makes sense, not a static amount for each, resulting in a more balanced market.
Spoils and tribute will go to the throne, if there is no import depot for the resource. Also imports that has had their import depots removed.

measuring tool with right click.
Deposits colored after density
A new super copier tool
Fixed keyboard issues
Proximity instead of distance in services. And this has been nerfed, allowing you to reach 100%.
Service coverage radius increased by 50%
Toggable overlay when building roads
Some rooms have their settings copied when copying them. Worker limits and warehouse settings.
Fixed mining output based on workers
Added "Starfoth The Burgundy"'s Silk Rug's2 nobility mod to the main game.
5 new soundtracks
Info in main menu about starting race
Expanded info when placing down first city

MODDING
Environments (awe, harmony) modifiable.
Monuments/decorations made modifiable, and ordinary rooms can map to these.
Added support for invalid keys for mods. Race init files can now have rooms that doesn't exist. Make sure you have debug on when modding to test that you aren't making mistakes.
Remade the appearance block of subjects almost completely. Now allows for more modularity when rendering portraits. There is an example race you can have a look at in game folder that hopefully explains it. Not too difficult too convert from the old system.
Added a file-type "_IgnoreVanilla.txt". Place this anywhere in order to ignore all vanilla assets in the folder.
Added new mod versioning. At the root of the mod folder, you must have a new folder VXX, where XX is the major version number of the game. So you can now support multiple versions.
Sync steam button no longer hangs
Removed totorial + examples is mod does not have their own.
Added support for more textures. Crazy content mods is no problem, and bigger fonts possible, such as Asian ones. (you specify texture size in mod _info.txt as TEXTURE_CACHE_SIZE Can be 4096, 8192, 16384)

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 21, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

Also thanks for the detailed posts in the earlier pages, one thing I've been struggling with in this game is how off every production ratio seems to be, and it's been kinda frustrating figuring poo poo out since the numbers do not seem to match with results in reality. I may restart with the knowledge that a human and not-dwarf city should probably skimp on farming veggies and fruit, especially since like having 4 hunters do their poo poo can somehow feed all the way up to 500 citizens, along with a mountain of leather that I somehow can't satisfy my clothes demand with despite multiple workshops.

Also drat, humans like eggs for food? These fuckers are out of their minds, that poo poo sells for like 3x/4x times an equal load of furniture.

The economy in this game is really unbalanced. Games still a lot of fun but yeah I had a lot of trouble keeping up with Cretonians need for veggies compared to races that eat meat where just a couple farmers will feed a large town.

I assume at some point a balance pass will take place but the priority right now seems to be adding in more features/systems.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Easier knowledge generation, lower knowledge upkeep sounds pretty decent to me!

Very interested in reproduction, since birth and death cycles are an enormous part of maintaining the kind of city-state this game lets you create. Probably going to try a fresh game here shortly, looking forward to enslaving the new race of Eaters only for them to devour their way to freedom! Actually I’ve never tried to use slavery in this game, except to occasionally buy people to free when the account is fat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New patch is out.

quote:

EA version 59 is now out in beta. As always, it is not save game compatible. To help me out with stability, please check it out in the steam client.

This version adds a lot of quality improvements. The main feature is reproduction and education. It has a new happiness system and if it goes low, people will riot. Children and adults can now be educated for massive boosts and knowledge points. Should you wish, you can instead indoctrinate them and make them a bit easier to handle.

Full patch notes here

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New update is out.

quote:

Shadows and Dust adds Entertainment and Religion to the game. It also changes and improves on a lot of things. In fact, so much that I've forgotten all about it, so there are no patch notes this time.

This version is not save-compatible with V59. Only saved blueprints and titles are transferred. Saves do remain though, so you can switch between versions, saves won't be lost.

Songs of Syx is now going strong thanks to you esteemed players. I am very thankful and in admiration that you can actually play the game and build awesome cities (now that I've played a little myself). We now have 1000 reviews and the game has sold enough to fully finance the remaining years of EA development.

This version is now available as a beta in steam as usual. It should be quite bug free, but if you encounter something, please shout it out.

Up next, I'm going to do a military overhaul and add a more fulfilling experience.

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_raSyfOxeWw

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

tl;dr:

- religion and temples are in. each pop has an initial religion weighted by their race. there are three religions, one based on saccing goods, one on saccing animals, one on saccing people. two of them get along and one (presumably the human sacrifice one) doesn't like the other two. you can convert pops between religions.

- entertainment is in. three tiers: speakers, actors, and gladiators. you need all three tiers though. people throw fruit at entertainers they don't like.

- enemies captured in battle now become prisoners rather than slaves. prisoners can be sacced at temples, sent to fight in the arena (sometimes but not usually to the death), or converted to slaves at a slaver building.

- supporting the roof in larger buildings works differently now. looks like you can't use support pillars any more, you have to build internal walls and partition your poo poo.

- bugfixes etc

i think that was all he talked about

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

this game is amazing, very much enjoy balancing my dudes and just realised you can play about with employment rather than have 30 people dig at the same time

slowly building up through the tech tree but i think the spoilage factor is an excellent way to keep your base moving

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any good tutorials or LPs for Songs of Syx? The youtubers I've found so far have been pretty bad at the game. The OP linked effort posts were already very helpful.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New update is out on a Steam Beta branch.

quote:

New version is now available as beta in steam. Beta means you manually have to select it in your steam client. Right click Songs of Syx and there should be something about betas there.

It will break saves, but, you can deselect the beta and continue on V60 saves if you want

This update is focused completely on military aspects. It adds archers and artillery to the game and an AI that can attack walled settlements and fight you on the field without causing too much weirdness. It's still raw, and in need of some balancing.

Next up is an update focused on health and sickness. It's quite simple, so I think I'll manage to add quite a bit of polish and quality of life into it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Looking forward to trying out the new update. The last two were fairly meaty additions to "things to do in your city" including giant temples to 3 different gods, nurseries/hatcheries to organically grow population, colosseums, arenas and slave gladiators, and pops rioting if they're unhappy.

From an earlier post by the dev, here's what's new in the beta branch:

quote:

What is on offer?

You guys primarily wanted ranged combat, and I added that, and cracked opened the fundamentals of the battle mechanics and re-did them.

Now we have catapults and archers and troops on walls, gatehouses.
We have an AI that's semi-smart.
We have complex and true to life morale and combat mechanics. Configure your own troops in almost infinite ways.
We have increased modding support for battle-related stuff. Someone wants to add javelins, slings, scorpions, WW1 machine guns, no problem.
Big performance gains. New pathfinder that's better and smoother and faster.

If it works out well it sounds like this could be a big step toward it feeling like a more "complete" game outside of the city building parts, there may finally be a reason to play battles manually!

He also said he's unhappy that it took him 3 months between updates this time but he just had a kid irl

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

is there some way to make bedrooms for specific races? I'm trying to create city districts so that races that are good at certain jobs sleep and live near those jobs and have easier access to the foods they like.