Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm playing the demo and the scale/efficiency of this game is pretty impressive. But is there really no way to centrally control your warehouses? I gotta click around individual warehouses to find unassigned crates??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

There's a little warehouse list on the left when you select one. That'll show you what's in each and how full it is.

I'm currently at around 1000 pop, elves dwarves and (26 for the library) humans. Trying to catch up with demand for what I thought were totally obsolete rooms (eateries, dormitories). Anyone else make that mistake? Or know if I actually should build them? It says it counts in the stats, but it seems counter-intuitive.

Also, I was checking prices on eggs and forgot to deactivate my import depot. I accidentally blew my 90K treasury on 300 loving eggs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Canteens and flat houses are strictly better than eateries and dorms if you can supply full demand with them. The contribution to happiness kind of sort of not really overlaps so that ex. if you have a full blue bar in flat houses, you have no net happiness to gain from dormitories.

They are fairly hard to supply full demand with especially while you expand so eateries and dorms remain useful as pressure release valves: it's still a lot better to have the basic need fulfilled than to not and it's really easy to supply with them.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

Hell yeah, thank you!

I'm really enjoying this game so far, but there's something I haven't been able to suss out yet. Can you build another settlement elsewhere at some point? I haven't done any military stuff yet, so I haven't interacted with the world map beyond admin points.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Naylenas posted:

Hell yeah, thank you!

I'm really enjoying this game so far, but there's something I haven't been able to suss out yet. Can you build another settlement elsewhere at some point? I haven't done any military stuff yet, so I haven't interacted with the world map beyond admin points.

No. It's one settlement. Everything you conquer and rule outside of it is abstracted beyond the battle.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

I'm still trying to work out proper ratios for various civic and infrastructure buildings on population size. Not sure what number of beds, canteens, etc I need to support X population.

Still looking for someone to make an effort post with rough guidelines on how to effectively scale them. I know it's somewhat complicated because you have to adjust for education, race, and number of components in each building too. I'm trying to find a good way to quantify it but the interface for determining building load and service quality at scale is not super intuitive

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Speaking of scaling infrastructure. Do you need 1 bed per citizen? They don't sleep in them all the time so I'm wondering if you can make them share beds and sleep in shifts.

Griz
May 21, 2001

LLSix posted:

Speaking of scaling infrastructure. Do you need 1 bed per citizen? They don't sleep in them all the time so I'm wondering if you can make them share beds and sleep in shifts.

I have 300 dudes and they're satisfied with like 60 dormitory beds.

dev blog says next version is going to add private housing.

Griz fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 12, 2022

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I just hit 3k population with my mostly dwarf city and am running out of room. A short while ago I started importing really expensive eggs in order to woo some more humans for the libraries, and had to scale my jewelry production up to compensate. Well now I realize that my entire meat consumption could be replaced with a fraction of my income. The next step is to remove half of my pastures (still need leather) and expand my urban area so I can continue to grow. My only concern is that my egg consumption will eventually outpace my jewelry production. I guess then I should figure out how to invade a place that has eggs.

edit: eagle-eyed viewers will see the huge untouched patch of gems near the lower right. I don't actually think I'll have an egg problem.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Naylenas posted:

I just hit 3k population with my mostly dwarf city and am running out of room. A short while ago I started importing really expensive eggs in order to woo some more humans for the libraries, and had to scale my jewelry production up to compensate. Well now I realize that my entire meat consumption could be replaced with a fraction of my income. The next step is to remove half of my pastures (still need leather) and expand my urban area so I can continue to grow. My only concern is that my egg consumption will eventually outpace my jewelry production. I guess then I should figure out how to invade a place that has eggs.

edit: eagle-eyed viewers will see the huge untouched patch of gems near the lower right. I don't actually think I'll have an egg problem.

This is amazing! Bit worried about this transition to egg-based economy though. Like you shouldn't put all your baskets in eggs.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Eggs only go up, do not listen to the doubters. If you aren't fully invested in Egg you're going to regret it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i'm an egg maximalist

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I need a mod to let me grow egg on temperate maps :( Egg currently costs more than gems and drugs.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Read through the beginner tips in the OP, and was wondering if there is a text guide people would recommend which just explains how to set up a basic city that won’t die/overviews the mechanics a bit more? Those tips are great as well but wondering if there’s a systematic resource y’all liked.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I can't think of any fixed-format guides, but what's worked for me:

Just "won't die" is extremely freeform. Your target there is warehouses set to hold the local forageables (and maybe meat, copious with a single hunter but watch and move the building as after a few years it'll have cleared the area) and not hammering the invite immigrants button until you have enough food banked to get you to the harvest after next: around 24 days as of the end of harvest should be fine. Almost everything else is optional except maybe a hearth in a cold climate/easy water access in a warm one/both in temperate.

There's exactly one mechanical hurdle in the game, and it's that you need metal to start making metal. Ergo you need a little bit of money up until that point. After that there's no real penalty to paying off raiders no matter how indebted it makes you, or buying whatever no matter how close to broke it makes you.

There's exactly one expectations hurdle in the game, and it's that wheat, which seems like a staple crop and that the tutorial will tell you to grow, is worthless until baked into bread. It grows fast, bread keeps decently, you need some for booze anyway without significantly more expensive research, but if you lay down a bunch of wheat farms planning on food security and don't have an economy that can build and staff long-term bakeries you'll be sorry.

Other than that the core mechanic is just that almost every building has a significant maintenance cost and every resource a notable spoilage rate. You can't stockpile for years, or do an expensive buy, to finally build something and then repurpose; instead, the costs to run a building are similar to the costs to make it, usually with a separate consumable or two attached as well, and any production being removed needs to instead be just moved but still kept up.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of looking at your citizens are grumpy about, or what's at 100% usage load/products are running short/whatever that they'll soon be grumpy about, and building more of it in a logistically sensical way, which basically means near housing to work it (which gradually requires more and more services as target satisfaction scales higher with total population), with a warehouse to handle its inputs and outputs, and with that warehouse in range of other warehouses that hold the inputs it wants to pull or that can pull its outputs. As you get very big, this will involve dedicated haulers rather than the pull functionality.

Also, stone and meat are the two resources of which there's a truly limited amount available for quick and easy gathering but any more you'll have to mine/farm at a slower pace. Your early game access is unlimited and breezy, your mid to lategame access is like any other resource. Wood is pseudo-like this, but the map's initial allocation respawns every few years. Don't trust how much you have at the beginning, it will run out and you will be sad and hungry if you're say relying on charcoal from cleared wood to cook a loaf of bread a citizen a day.
Relatedly, deathcare is the one service where even in a small village, people get angrier than day 0 at a lack of it vs. happier as long as it's provided but no longer; you absolutely need a mass grave, or ideally a graveyard, asap. Law enforcement is the other "angry no matter what" issue and should also be prioritized, but crimes don't happen until you hit a certain population, so you can push it back a little (conveniently as it requires armor, metal, and polished stone, three slow-to-produce and expensive resources.)

So to start:
Two 7x7, 17-chest, warehouses near your throne (or not but it makes a decent ersatz dorm and holds your starter food) set to pull one tick of everything, one warehouse near land with a high density of non-wheat gatherables set to hold them, road between them, citizens set to gather those edibles.
Gradually build out farms, at a rate of around 1/7 or 1/8 of pop working them, near the gatherables.
Build an import depot to get your initial injection of metal. Don't import it yet.
Around now you'll want basic shack/shitter/shower services up centrally.
Build out to coal (or wooded areas if you don't have any) and ore deposits. Two warehouses near each, one to hold both inputs and outputs and one that can be smaller to pull food; the same basic civil services near each for the workers if it's a hike back to town center.
Start construction of ore mine, ore refiner, and coal mine or logging area/charcollier as appropriate.
Import as much metal as you need for those.
Import as many people as you need for those (but remember, they don't need to be fully-staffed at first.)

From there your game will just be looking at the shorter bars on the happiness UI and building the things that improve them, plus the things they rely on, plus whatever looks cool, plus gradually rationalizing your layout from one central town that does a little of everything via pull to many specialized districts that push. Constantly ticking up your pop when you can, while always remembering to keep services growing in proportion and never to forget to scale up every other district a little in response to higher demands.

If you ever decide you want to fight bandits or engage with the conquest mechanics (usually to get a resource you don't have natively on the cheap), your options are to build an export depot and scale up population to pay mercenaries, or train your own people. Training your own people means a certain number depending on your training facilities will quit work for a year or two, instantly plummeting your available workers, but if you have a decently-sized buffer this doesn't matter.

E: As a slight addition, there are buildings that automatically have the AI employ, buildings that don't automatically have the AI employ but can have it set, and buildings that don't automatically have the AI employ and can't. Category 1 is safe to leave set unless you've had a random murder rampage/riot/hard battle that whittled down your National Guard types. Category 2 is warehouses and needs it turned on ASAP if they're anything but a luxury-puller downtown. Category 3, mostly mines, you just play with sliders according to the ratio you want/have built for until you're not at negative laborers available (which will randomly reassign people, and someday it'll be "what if all the farmers make pottery, aren't mud pies tasty".)

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 10, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
This post is amazingly helpful, thank you!! This kind of goals/what to look for is so useful.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Good stuff, added a link to the 2nd post.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

And just like that, I'm going to play SoS again.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

lol

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I was planning on doing a Dystopian run at some point, so I guess I'm waiting for this update!

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

New update owns. All of my grid style patterns have to be updated now to get housing and physicians in each service block.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New patch is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRwjquKRB_4

quote:

Hello!

I'm finally done with the new patch.

The patch is currently in the beta branch on steam. To enable it, right click the game -> properties -> betas. Select "ea V63". It might be unstable, but has been alpha tested.

With it, I'm pretty happy about the city building experience of the game, and now feel ready to start on the world map and its mechanics that I've promised.

I kept notes this time!

• An attempt to fix shuttering mouses on certain PCs.
  • An in-game palette that lets you change colours of roads and structures for visuals.
  • Climate and weather redone. Now with fully simulated cycles. Snow and ice added. Terrain has been redrawn and will respond to weather and wind. Map generation improved. Wild growing things adjusted and remade. One should now no longer be able to support maximum 100 people through harvesting.
  • Buildings can be built next to deep water.
  • Water now increases fertility around it. Irrigation is scrapped.
  • Sweet and salt water are now environments.
  • Overlays have gotten some love.
  • Minimap improved + flawless zooming in/out.
  • Room panels and priority panels have been improved. Now possible to prevent employment by setting priorities to 0.
  • Farms have been re-coded to make more sense. The coming harvest is the result of many factors, clearly listed.
  • Blight and bountiful harvest events added. (+2 years playing) 25% chance per year
  • Droughts events. (+4 years playing) 6% chance per year-
  • Lots of effort put into the new sprite system for room. Making it more moddable.
  • Homes now need a structure, the ugly walls are gone. Easier to copy and handle. Poor isolation leads to more furniture degrade.
  • Copying items is easier.
  • Unique sounds for all animals. sorry about the volume, WIP.
  • Animals now have fixed spawning points. These replenish at a slow rate. Animals will stick to these points. Animals will attack people near them, except for hunters. Once you build near a spawning point, no more spawning will happen.
  • Hunter room simplified. The rate is nerfed.
  • People will not try to fetch corpses that are in dangerous zones, such as a animal spawn point.
  • Corpses bleed.
  • Sounds will play when fast forwarding.
  • Room rates have been improved, now showing produced per day per room.
  • Workload calculations improved.
  • The use of walls when building rooms have been improved.
  • 3 new soundtracks
  • Huge refactorings, making the game less error prone.
  • Fishing events for improved/decreased fish output.
  • New Housing panel panel with improved overlay and tools.
  • Oddjobbers will find homes faster.
  • Improved the top panel.
  • Remade and improved bottom panel.
  • Wiki improved + moved race info to new wiki and improved them a bit.
  • Made openings of buildings a bit clearer.
  • A light cycle toggle in the settings.
  • Upgrades for all mines + small fixes
  • Improved overlay for minables
  • Difficulty settings for random game.
  • New resource: Machinery. Used mostly to upgrade rooms.
  • Added some visual help to room construction.
  • Made roads go diagonal next to diagonal walls.
  • Outdoors added as a building preference.
  • Fixed Maintenance overlay
  • Added a type swapper to room copying and saved blueprint placer.
  • Industry recipes will revert if the recipe is re-locked.
  • New script engine. Now possible to inject java code, and package them as mods. See pdf in installation directory of how to get started.
  • 3 scripts added
  • Shape for rooms are now individual for each room, and it's possible to please everyone regarding squareness and roundness.
  • Refiners remade. Are now upgradable. Unlocked from start. Production lowered. Early survival tactics is to use grain + bakery.
  • Accidents more rare, but more deadly.
  • Workshops have been converted to the new sprite system. Visually improved. Has their own storage, same as refiner. Some have upgrades. They are more space efficient.
  • New workshop added. Makes the machinery resource.
  • New UI for individuals. Added a gimmic that generates biographies to each subject. Also added opinions as to what individuals want improved in the city. Each race can have their own template, and there are templates for scared, normal and confident subjects. Can be
  • easily modded to add infinite flavour. If someone do, please let me know.
  • Big refactoring with rooms. Room files now in folders. Modders, check out the new way of specifying rooms in other files.
  • Improved the text rendering engines, taught it some new tricks, and better looking text.
  • New thing - tourists. Tourists can come to see the marvels of your city. They're attracted by large scale industries that have a high work preference with the race of the tourist. Tourists will leave some cash and a review. You must build an inn to be able to accept tourists.
  • Thanks to Victor Baker, who wrote a lot of tourist review texts.
  • University has gotten a face lift and is more space efficient.
  • Upgrades for service rooms, although, I've only enabled it for lavatories so far. Lavatories got a facelift, with sanitary lids for the toilets.
  • Added population to save game files.
  • The throne can no longer be instantly moved, but must be constructed. Trapped people can still function and find jobs in their vicinity.
  • Changed the trade controls a bit.
  • Reworked exposure to work differently. Exposed people will seek services or shelter. In shelter they are still exposed, but at a lower rate. Prior to death, that can also go insane.
  • Strikes added as an alternative to emigration and riots.
  • Made titles be able to lock rooms (requested by modders).
  • Made trees and other growth be able to grow randomly when fertility is increased by irrigation.
  • Fixed buggy Workstations
  • Added different sizes to wells, and an upgrade. And emitting of sweet water.
  • Gave hearths the same treatment as above.
  • Added fulfilment modifiers for all monuments, meaning you can get happiness from specific monuments per capita.
  • Two new monuments. Flower beds and humidifier.
  • New road: festival square
  • New thing: Benches. Idle subjects will search out benches to sit on in a small radius. Useful for letting them absorb the environment.
  • Law remake. More detailed and more options.
  • All punishment types affect fulfilment differently for races.
  • Stocks added as a compliment to punishment. This shortens prison time by half.
  • Guard post now come in different sizes. They now have a visible radius. The chance of arresting a criminal is based on distance to guard post.
  • Fullfillment from tourists.
  • The enemy kills stat increases neuroticism and crime rate.
  • Guard posts remade. Now work with a radius. The closer a crime is committed, the greater likelihood for catching them.
  • More crime, and more penalty from it.
  • Individual crime statistics.
  • Micro and macro actions for your people. Free drinks, money handouts, day off work and arrest. Can be used to temporarily boost happiness.
  • Ability to set punishment for prisoners manually + better ui for managing criminals.
  • New growable resource 'Herbs'. Used in the ration maker. Will be used in cooking services for the nobility in later updates.
  • Serial killer event
  • Added stuff to the tutorial.
  • Updated external libraries.
  • Fixed broken steam achievements.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
..serial killer event?!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
s..serial killer event??

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

The devs break must have been dwarf fortress

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Finally getting into this after picking it up laat year. I think I'm mostly on track for stability (with my colony of ranching and fruit farming humans in Wales on the Britain world map), but I'm a bit concerned - just crossed 30 people and got the combat stuff unlocked and a warning about potential threats. How rough is the combat? Tutorial didn't touch it at all so it seems to be a "figure it out as you go" sort of thing, which is a little rough for "potentially game ending threat".

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Iirc, it gives you the combat warning but even if you do get attacked, they try to take supplies and its not particularly punishing if you can't fight them off. It takes a bit of planning to put together the resources needed to make a military.

If its your first game that you are getting off the ground, I would just keep playing normally and developing your town without worrying about it that much. You will most likely hit a point where your town blows up for some other reason anyway

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Combat as far as I can tell is a function of equipment, numbers, and training, and also innate combat ability.

Different species have different stats, elves make good archers, dwarves make good infantry, giants make very good infantry.

You can set what equipment your squads have and how much, more equipment increases their combat stats and you can pick between ranged, melee weapons, and armour. There's like a set amount of stuff they can carry so you can't make them super good at everything so i would assign based on what you expect them to do, archers should get ranged focus, infantry should get melee and armour focus etc, though archers can be shot at so giving them armour is a good idea too.

Training is basically a choice between a part time militia and full time professional army, the more they train the higher their combat skill but the faster they churn through supplies to train and they can't do useful work while training either.

If you equip and train people as much as you can they will be good soldiers, not the best soldiers because they can get better by actually fighting stuff, but certainly good and probably a bit better than the troops you will likely face, though again numbers are a thing as well. Also walls help but unit pathing is fiddly, generally I think they allow you to use archers better but you need to make them pretty drat big to have them be useable.

You can also generally just keep paying off the bandits, it gets expensive but if you don't want to fight you can just economy hard enough that their tribute doesn't matter.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Good to know it's not too brutal right off the bat. I started on a wall to help keep safe, though I have a sinking feeling enemies can swim along the water I'm up against in the south. Working on the training grounds but I'm perpetually short on laborers, including carpenters, so it's slow going so far. Working on increasing population but have to stabilize food at the same time.

Village so far, probably terribly made and definitely with more housing than I should have built yet:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They will fill in water to get past it iirc.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
They can also mine in if needed, and do so at a decent clip. Walls are there to suggest channels for their flow and give you a chance to exploit the pathing for purposes of archer and catapult attrition/fighting weaker enemies a boulevard-width at a time rather than letting them zerg rush stronger troops, not for buttoning up for a siege dorf-style.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I ended up opting to shelve this for now. Death spiral after it turned out everything I could possibly export was worth 0-2 currency (mostly 0s) and everything I needed to recover was 20+ a piece. Couldn't get odd jobbers to go harvest wild opium that was (as far as I could tell) in range for emergency funds, food supply kept running out because I relied too hard on wood for bakeries. Only metal was in the opposite corner of the map with a tiny deposit, too, so even if I recovered (not feasible) I was still going to be stuck for a long time.

Four or five rerolls later and I finally get a map with "wild animals", coal, metal, and vegetables all on the same side of the map, immediately plan out a farm for my starting fruit & for the vegetables I was harvesting... wild animals were smilodons (I still don't know all the icons yet), population ate too many fruit and vegetables before eating the rations so my farms couldn't be finished until they were too small and too late. Another immediate collapse. I know how to avoid at least the "eating farm crops" now, but I'm sufficiently frustrated with how opaque the game is in a lot of placea that I'm just gonna let it cook a little longer before I dive in more. Got enough else I need to work through anyway.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Unless it's changed in the last couple versions you don't need farms at all until midgame unless you're playing the vegetarians. Foraging and hunting will bury you in food early in most sane embark sites.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah that was my experience as well, farming is not the baseline solution. It is in a lot of games like this. My last and most successful colony. My primary concern was getting a site with lots of metal, so ended up doing something on the edge of the mountains. You can make do with a lot of other stuff, but not having a decent source of metal is pretty crippling

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I forget how many steps you need to do in the new tech tree to get there but your first tech priority is the trading tech or nothing sells for anything.

Just everyone sleeping on the ground eating things off the ground so 20 humans you lured here with the promise of their own ground to sleep on can discover the secret trading incantations that let you sell something.

E. Ok I need to be fair. They aren't eating off the ground they are eating out of a grunge buffet closet because it's one of the easier satisfiers.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A new update. Pictures in the link.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1162750/Songs_of_Syx/

More 4X stuff, diplomacy with different factions and characters.

quote:

A new era dawns. The greatest gaming event of 1999 is here. Song of Syx has a new patch.

Oh, where to begin, it's been so long, and I've forgotten what I've done, and lost the patch-notes in a game of poker. But basically, it's been all about the world map, and adding a sort of 4X experience to go along with the city builder. We now have proper generation, proper factions that are alive, proper everything world related on steroids!
No video this time, my mic broke. But here's the thumbnail:

Here's a neighbouring king, and his heirs. He will like you differently depending on his characteristics, and your history together. You can interact with him through diplomacy.

You can also send emissaries to keep him and his heirs happy. If he makes a fuss, assassination is an option.

You now have much greater control over your realm, with proper buildings, shamelessly ripped from the total war franchise (before they had the good sense of streamlining it).

I've also added a few things to the city building experience, features, fixes and quality of life. Orchards for instance.

There's still a bit missing that I didn't have time to add to the World. Most notably anything regarding armies. That's on the to-do list for the next version.

Next up, I want to do another polish update, focusing on the city map. I have a lot of plans, you can see them here: Trello

Overall, I'm exited, we're closing in on 1.0. I have only nobles left as a major feature, and of course a mountain of polish and balance.

EA 64 has to be checked out manually in steam for now, as a “beta”. I'm very curious about the balance late game, and how the AI conducts diplomacy and decides to take you on, so let me know, I'll be here, and on the Discord

The previous version is now available as the demo, for those of you who are still waiting for a sale or whatnot, so have a look at that.

Now go forth and conquer the world!

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i enjoy this game, and also v65 is out in beta branch which is cool.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

don’t suppose there’s a great control scheme out there to play this on the Deck?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Loving v65, especially loving how my neighbor/trade partners are randomly giving me hundreds of thousands of denarii and hundreds of resources? I mean, they all like me and I've been trading with them so I guess it's foreign aid - only two of them means it's easy to keep them happy, though expansion isn't really in the offing unless one of them collapses (they do keep fragmenting in civil wars, though unfortunately not the one I want to collapse).

Doing a whole "hermit elf kingdom" vibe for my first serious game anyway, and found a great site with mountain on two sides and a huge freshwater lake on a third (complete with a crescent of islands that screamed "future home of Gorgeous Palace District"). Mining resources could be better I guess but it's enough to get by, and fertility is Not A Problem so far, but I'm a bit perplexed by the whole plumbing system - do I actually need to build access to it for the whole city, or is it mostly an irrigation thing?

Also, are there any guidelines on how much of your pop to keep trained? I have about 100 soldiers that can be called up for defense out of 300 pop, and we murdered the first bandit raid with 0 casualties, so huzzah, but I still don't really know much about the army/4X side of this game except that it is what I have always wanted from one of these games and I can't wait to see how it gets polished for 1.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dallan Invictus posted:

Loving v65, especially loving how my neighbor/trade partners are randomly giving me hundreds of thousands of denarii and hundreds of resources?

It's a bug.