Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Songs of Syx

***The game can be downloaded and played for free. You'll find the free version on itch.io or on steam (demo). It's not limited in any way other than being 3-6 months behind the payed version in terms of development.***

quote:

Songs of Syx is a retro base/city builder inspired by "Pharaoh", "Dungeon Keeper", and "Rome Total War". It aims at fusing those genres, while also adding to the experience. Its uniqueness comes from having huge populations, while still simulating each individual in great detail and providing big maps with 1:1 scale buildings. It's set in a low-fantasy universe and the gameplay is mostly automated where you let the AI do the mundane tasks, while you focus on greater, more kingly things.

The game can be downloaded and played for free. You'll find the free version on itch.io or on steam (demo). It's not limited in any way other than being 3-6 months behind the payed version in terms of development. If you like it and have the means, consider purchasing it to support development. In any case, don't forget to join the a community to follow development and bombard us with suggestions.

What is it?
Songs of Syx is a top down city-state builder. You start with a small band of settlers and a throne room and have to do the usual resource gathering management to build up a the necessary amenities for your citizens. As you expand immigrants will want to move to your city and you can choose to accept them, there are 5 different races each excelling at particular tasks or having specific needs. The beginning plays a lot like Dwarf Fortress/Rimworld but the scale quickly expands and you will wind up with hundreds/thousands of citizens. Recently the ability to raid and conquer other settlements and wage war in large scale Total War-esque battles was added. The games performance is fantastic and even at high population levels the game chugs along great. The art style is generally quite good pixel art but some nice special effects and dynamic seasons/weather.

The city maps are large and you will have to create outposts to reach resources away from your city center. You can try to centralize your kitchens amenities into large buildings or spread them out into smaller villages/neighborhoods.

The world map is also large containing many settlements and raiders who will attack you. The ability to form armies and occupy foreign territories was the most recent patch.

Combat is fairly basic right now, both armies spawn on a map and you can change their formations and tell them to attack. This should be expanded upon over time with ranged weapons and artillery.

The game is developed by a single guy based out of Sweden, he's been fairly active with updates and posts videos from time to time of things he's working on.

Resident goon Grey Hunter has an LP as well.

Roadmap posted:

Far off
  • zombies

• Military 2.0
    ranged weapons artillery troop movement improvements raiders on the world map

• Rebellions

• Water update
    Detailed water-table that can be used as a resource when building parks /grass and can be imported. Canals to be dug. No more removing deep water, one needs to build bridges instead.

• Artifacts

• Military Reputation
    Reputation for each army, and a general one for each faction. Prowess: looser - invincible A morale change to the armies Type: merciless - just How you treat defeated enemies. Merciless will give your opponent a morale penalty, just will give your own army a morale boost. Will also grant happiness.

• Army rooms
    Barracks and militia rooms. Army UI
Near
  • Health
    Disease. Herbs and medicine. Wards/hospis. Filth and rats. Plagues. Life expectancy. Mental health with institutions. Insane people.

• Drink, Gambling and merriment

• Religion

• Nobility overhaul
    Hire nobles from a pool. Pay them in credits.

• Monuments Overhaul
    Ability to mod monuments & decide what floor goes under them.

• Visitors
    Allow for tourists, musicians and traders to visit your settlement. Make a "stage" room for your plebs Make an industry pipeline for souvenirs,
In progress
  • Profile, leveling
    A profile that is saved and maintained between plays. Unlocks "titles" through progress. Titles can be selected for boosts with new games. Saves room layouts and statistics.

• Education & Kids
    Procreation by simply little kids that come into existence. Controlled through a policy and affects happiness by nerfing it. A school, both for kids and adults. A university for higher studies. Knowledge overhaul and finalization.

• Riots & fear
    Riots. Ability for citizens and slaves to rise up against you if unhappy. A new stat named fear and different ways of adding fear to your settlement. fear will deter rebellions and riots.
Done
  • Military
    Everything you need to create and manage an army in your city. Randomly spawn raids on your settlement.

• World Map Love
    - Redraw the world map. - Region system, ability to claim and tax them. - Revisit map generation. Make it more realistic and detailed - Make primitive kingdom mechanism. - Ensure the world city sprite represents your settlement - climate zones and biomes - dynamic trade

• World map overhaul
    Urban centres for all regions with mechanics for offensive raids, or the ability to be raided. More options in terms of developing your regions and more visuals to represent it. More sophisticated borders to represent faction capitol regions and their vassals. Ability to create soldiers in the regions you control and muster them on the map. Field battles to be spawned when two armies meet. Region loyalty with uprisings and ability to bribe them.

• Improved Mod support
    Make rooms and resources moddable. Improve modability of animals.

• UI overhaul + QoL
    Improve the UI and make things easier to use, especially room construction.

• Localization
    Finish fonts for latin-1 and move all strings into files.

• Race fleshing
    Flesh out the races, make more things moddable. Figure out what attracts different races. Create at least 1 more race.

• Nobility
    Nobility subjects, be able to appoint one, have special AI for them. Have a room for them (with servants). Have them boost production.

• Slaves
    Ability to enslave someone. Enslave Krull's forces.

• Resource Extraction Overhaul
    Hunter made into proper rooms with a radius you can set. Mines made into proper rooms, dragged over deposits. Infinite deposits, but extraction will decrease with time. More workstations for industries, should be labor intense. Stockpiles have radius. Fisheries made into proper rooms Production and consumption statistics fixed Stockpile storage increased Industry internal storage decreased Pastures will cost wood and grain to upkeep Grain no longer edible Bakery for grain Kitchens can set what foods they cook Stone made into a mineral New mineral Mineral deposits generate more interesting Happiness boost tied to storage (modable) Farms affected by climate, have process during winter

• Exposure & sound
    Room will have an isolation value that is affected by surrounding walls. This will be used for degrade This will also be used for sound pollution. Some rooms will want to be in uiet areas. People will get warm/cold. Might die if no shelter is found and they are low on clothes.

• Climate and world population
    Species will have preferred climates, adding to happiness. The world will be populated according to biomes species prefer Some species will be very rare

• Crime and punishment
    A bunch of crimes to be committed. punishments for said crimes adjustable- City can fall into anarchy. Guards Prison Execution square

• burial overhaul
    A mass grave for slaves and enemies A tomb/mausoleum for fancy folk death statistics better notifications A corpse butcherer for cannibalism.

• Alcohol
    Alcohol Production and consumption. Served in taverns. Remove kitchen and incorporate it into the tavern. Some drunken behaviour. Increases happiness, but decreases work skill a bit (and later, life expectancy)

• Food overhaul
    Replace kitchen with granary. Have cooking in tavern, feasthall. Serve alcohol

• Clay + Pottery
Ongoing
  • Enable localization, remove all hardcoded strings

Popete fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New Player Help:

Helpful beginner tips from deep dish peat moss

Tips to manage citizen happiness from deep dish peat moss

Creating armies on the world map deep dish peat moss

Construction, hauling and warehouses zedprime

General Beginners Guide Mandoric

Popete fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 10, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've barely started playing this game but I'm really digging it so far. If you like Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld you'll probably be interested in this, if only to keep an eye on it as it continues to develop.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is the learning curve as steep as Dwarf Fortress?

No not nearly as difficult to pick up nor are the system as deep as DF, the UI is a bit obtuse but not terrible. There is a tutorial in the game but it's really limited, still I've found it's fairly intuitive if you've played similar colony builders like Rimworld or DF. I can't speak for the mid/late game stuff as I haven't gotten that far yet.

There is an official wiki as well here.

https://songsofsyx.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to point this out if you missed it in the OP.

quote:

The game can be downloaded and played for free. You'll find the free version on itch.io or on steam (demo). It's not limited in any way other than being 3-6 months behind the payed version in terms of development.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beamed posted:

Grey Hunter did an LP of this you might wanna throw in!

Added a link to the OP, thanks!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DurosKlav posted:

Some of the production feels as though it could use a bit of a tweak. I have like 30+ grain and fruit distilleries going, along with all but 1 of the drinks research unlocked, and yet my stockpile is nearly always completely empty.

Yeah agreed, it's difficult to really dial bread/drink production. Farms don't seem to keep up with my needs for fruit/vegetables as well so I'm often importing them.

That's one tip I have for new players, get some production going for furniture/pottery and export that so you have some money to import food if you're finding your production isn't keeping up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

This is great, I added a link to this post in the second post of the OP.

I decided to reroll and play a human settlement in a cold climate. It's going well so far I found a good plot with relatively close by deposits of clay/coal/stone/ore but there isn't a ton of a good farm land except right along the river. Foraging is really your friend early on, there is plenty of free food out there to be gathered well you work on getting your settlement setup.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It only just occured to me that you can dig irrigation canals to improve farm yield, not sure why I didn't think of that before.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The second post is basically just turning into deep dish peat moss post links, thanks for the helpful write ups.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah give the demo a shot. The game runs incredibly smooth for how much stuff is going on at once so it might work fine.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm glad to see a thread about this, I saw it on like page 50 of the roguelikes section on Steam and thought it looked interesting. The price is on the steep side though, for something in early access.

If you're on the fence try the demo, it's the full game but ~6 months behind in the development cycle.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if resource deposits are hidden in mountains ever? Like if I start digging out a cave will I come across some ore that didn't show up on the overlay previously until it was discovered?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Current Status and V59 Some updates on future updates and reflection posted:

Deer despots,

The latest conquest update really propelled the game to new heights in terms of exposure and sales. It's both good and bad, I would prefer the game to stay under the radar until I feel it's polished and fleshed out enough for no one to find any complaints and be able to have a close relationship with anyone getting involved, or playing it. And crash-free of course.

Not that I'm complaining. This is all unbelievable to me and a huge thanks to every one of you, and especially those who come back with praise/criticism/feedback. I'm just sad, I might not be able to give you the response I used to be able to do. The hours of the day just isn't enough, and I have to focus on game progression for everyone sake in the long term.

The next update will be rich in "quality of life" features, based on suggestions. For one, we'll see a bulk copier tool that allows you to select anything (rooms, jobs, roads, etc. ) of any size, rotate it and slap it down somewhere else. It also contains the possibility to save room-plans between games. Logistics within the city will be more or less finalized, with multi carry for everyone, and a new transport-room that has animal powered carts that will ship huge amounts anywhere on the map. Knowledge will also be polished and finalized.

New features includes procreation that will take place in nursery rooms. subject will visually have gender and there will be children. Immigration will now be but a second way of boosting your workforce. The benefit of procreation is that you get to educate your children in a school system. You can choose to either teach them stuff, which boosts productivity and gains you knowledge, or indoctrinate them, making them easier to control.

Tyranny will be a new term, and can be gained through indoctrination and by other means, such as statues, soldiers on active duty (I'll try to make them march around), executions, or secret police. With more tyranny, you can have lower happiness without risking riots.

I'll also attempt to balance the game. As it stands currently, I think there are many exploits there that allows you to basically skip the mid-game and tax your way to world dominance. I'm planning on making it so that you need a much bigger army presence in regions to be able to tax them without them revolting.

The game released in September last year, and I hope to release V59 before a year has passed, so that I can say I do 6 major updates per year. A year ago, I thought I'd work on the city builder part of the game for 3 more years, now I think it's closer to 2 years. This is what I'm still aiming at doing:

Religion (temples, cultists, human sacrifice, power struggles and riots between religions)
Entertainment (stage for actors, singers, maybe arenas for gladiators)
Health (pandemics and epidemics. Doctors, wards)
Nobility (Smarter, interesting nobility that has wills of their own and needs to be pleased for gains. Nobles will have their own homes and families and require some micro)

Once the city builder has all this, I will consider it to be 1.0, and move on to military related updates (which I know many of you are eagerly waiting for, sorry). And after that, I'll focus on the world map and empire management.

Recent update from the dev, sounds like the game has gotten more popular.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

Also thanks for the detailed posts in the earlier pages, one thing I've been struggling with in this game is how off every production ratio seems to be, and it's been kinda frustrating figuring poo poo out since the numbers do not seem to match with results in reality. I may restart with the knowledge that a human and not-dwarf city should probably skimp on farming veggies and fruit, especially since like having 4 hunters do their poo poo can somehow feed all the way up to 500 citizens, along with a mountain of leather that I somehow can't satisfy my clothes demand with despite multiple workshops.

Also drat, humans like eggs for food? These fuckers are out of their minds, that poo poo sells for like 3x/4x times an equal load of furniture.

The economy in this game is really unbalanced. Games still a lot of fun but yeah I had a lot of trouble keeping up with Cretonians need for veggies compared to races that eat meat where just a couple farmers will feed a large town.

I assume at some point a balance pass will take place but the priority right now seems to be adding in more features/systems.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New patch is out.

quote:

EA version 59 is now out in beta. As always, it is not save game compatible. To help me out with stability, please check it out in the steam client.

This version adds a lot of quality improvements. The main feature is reproduction and education. It has a new happiness system and if it goes low, people will riot. Children and adults can now be educated for massive boosts and knowledge points. Should you wish, you can instead indoctrinate them and make them a bit easier to handle.

Full patch notes here

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New update is out.

quote:

Shadows and Dust adds Entertainment and Religion to the game. It also changes and improves on a lot of things. In fact, so much that I've forgotten all about it, so there are no patch notes this time.

This version is not save-compatible with V59. Only saved blueprints and titles are transferred. Saves do remain though, so you can switch between versions, saves won't be lost.

Songs of Syx is now going strong thanks to you esteemed players. I am very thankful and in admiration that you can actually play the game and build awesome cities (now that I've played a little myself). We now have 1000 reviews and the game has sold enough to fully finance the remaining years of EA development.

This version is now available as a beta in steam as usual. It should be quite bug free, but if you encounter something, please shout it out.

Up next, I'm going to do a military overhaul and add a more fulfilling experience.

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_raSyfOxeWw

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New update is out on a Steam Beta branch.

quote:

New version is now available as beta in steam. Beta means you manually have to select it in your steam client. Right click Songs of Syx and there should be something about betas there.

It will break saves, but, you can deselect the beta and continue on V60 saves if you want

This update is focused completely on military aspects. It adds archers and artillery to the game and an AI that can attack walled settlements and fight you on the field without causing too much weirdness. It's still raw, and in need of some balancing.

Next up is an update focused on health and sickness. It's quite simple, so I think I'll manage to add quite a bit of polish and quality of life into it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Eggs only go up, do not listen to the doubters. If you aren't fully invested in Egg you're going to regret it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Good stuff, added a link to the 2nd post.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New patch is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRwjquKRB_4

quote:

Hello!

I'm finally done with the new patch.

The patch is currently in the beta branch on steam. To enable it, right click the game -> properties -> betas. Select "ea V63". It might be unstable, but has been alpha tested.

With it, I'm pretty happy about the city building experience of the game, and now feel ready to start on the world map and its mechanics that I've promised.

I kept notes this time!

• An attempt to fix shuttering mouses on certain PCs.
  • An in-game palette that lets you change colours of roads and structures for visuals.
  • Climate and weather redone. Now with fully simulated cycles. Snow and ice added. Terrain has been redrawn and will respond to weather and wind. Map generation improved. Wild growing things adjusted and remade. One should now no longer be able to support maximum 100 people through harvesting.
  • Buildings can be built next to deep water.
  • Water now increases fertility around it. Irrigation is scrapped.
  • Sweet and salt water are now environments.
  • Overlays have gotten some love.
  • Minimap improved + flawless zooming in/out.
  • Room panels and priority panels have been improved. Now possible to prevent employment by setting priorities to 0.
  • Farms have been re-coded to make more sense. The coming harvest is the result of many factors, clearly listed.
  • Blight and bountiful harvest events added. (+2 years playing) 25% chance per year
  • Droughts events. (+4 years playing) 6% chance per year-
  • Lots of effort put into the new sprite system for room. Making it more moddable.
  • Homes now need a structure, the ugly walls are gone. Easier to copy and handle. Poor isolation leads to more furniture degrade.
  • Copying items is easier.
  • Unique sounds for all animals. sorry about the volume, WIP.
  • Animals now have fixed spawning points. These replenish at a slow rate. Animals will stick to these points. Animals will attack people near them, except for hunters. Once you build near a spawning point, no more spawning will happen.
  • Hunter room simplified. The rate is nerfed.
  • People will not try to fetch corpses that are in dangerous zones, such as a animal spawn point.
  • Corpses bleed.
  • Sounds will play when fast forwarding.
  • Room rates have been improved, now showing produced per day per room.
  • Workload calculations improved.
  • The use of walls when building rooms have been improved.
  • 3 new soundtracks
  • Huge refactorings, making the game less error prone.
  • Fishing events for improved/decreased fish output.
  • New Housing panel panel with improved overlay and tools.
  • Oddjobbers will find homes faster.
  • Improved the top panel.
  • Remade and improved bottom panel.
  • Wiki improved + moved race info to new wiki and improved them a bit.
  • Made openings of buildings a bit clearer.
  • A light cycle toggle in the settings.
  • Upgrades for all mines + small fixes
  • Improved overlay for minables
  • Difficulty settings for random game.
  • New resource: Machinery. Used mostly to upgrade rooms.
  • Added some visual help to room construction.
  • Made roads go diagonal next to diagonal walls.
  • Outdoors added as a building preference.
  • Fixed Maintenance overlay
  • Added a type swapper to room copying and saved blueprint placer.
  • Industry recipes will revert if the recipe is re-locked.
  • New script engine. Now possible to inject java code, and package them as mods. See pdf in installation directory of how to get started.
  • 3 scripts added
  • Shape for rooms are now individual for each room, and it's possible to please everyone regarding squareness and roundness.
  • Refiners remade. Are now upgradable. Unlocked from start. Production lowered. Early survival tactics is to use grain + bakery.
  • Accidents more rare, but more deadly.
  • Workshops have been converted to the new sprite system. Visually improved. Has their own storage, same as refiner. Some have upgrades. They are more space efficient.
  • New workshop added. Makes the machinery resource.
  • New UI for individuals. Added a gimmic that generates biographies to each subject. Also added opinions as to what individuals want improved in the city. Each race can have their own template, and there are templates for scared, normal and confident subjects. Can be
  • easily modded to add infinite flavour. If someone do, please let me know.
  • Big refactoring with rooms. Room files now in folders. Modders, check out the new way of specifying rooms in other files.
  • Improved the text rendering engines, taught it some new tricks, and better looking text.
  • New thing - tourists. Tourists can come to see the marvels of your city. They're attracted by large scale industries that have a high work preference with the race of the tourist. Tourists will leave some cash and a review. You must build an inn to be able to accept tourists.
  • Thanks to Victor Baker, who wrote a lot of tourist review texts.
  • University has gotten a face lift and is more space efficient.
  • Upgrades for service rooms, although, I've only enabled it for lavatories so far. Lavatories got a facelift, with sanitary lids for the toilets.
  • Added population to save game files.
  • The throne can no longer be instantly moved, but must be constructed. Trapped people can still function and find jobs in their vicinity.
  • Changed the trade controls a bit.
  • Reworked exposure to work differently. Exposed people will seek services or shelter. In shelter they are still exposed, but at a lower rate. Prior to death, that can also go insane.
  • Strikes added as an alternative to emigration and riots.
  • Made titles be able to lock rooms (requested by modders).
  • Made trees and other growth be able to grow randomly when fertility is increased by irrigation.
  • Fixed buggy Workstations
  • Added different sizes to wells, and an upgrade. And emitting of sweet water.
  • Gave hearths the same treatment as above.
  • Added fulfilment modifiers for all monuments, meaning you can get happiness from specific monuments per capita.
  • Two new monuments. Flower beds and humidifier.
  • New road: festival square
  • New thing: Benches. Idle subjects will search out benches to sit on in a small radius. Useful for letting them absorb the environment.
  • Law remake. More detailed and more options.
  • All punishment types affect fulfilment differently for races.
  • Stocks added as a compliment to punishment. This shortens prison time by half.
  • Guard post now come in different sizes. They now have a visible radius. The chance of arresting a criminal is based on distance to guard post.
  • Fullfillment from tourists.
  • The enemy kills stat increases neuroticism and crime rate.
  • Guard posts remade. Now work with a radius. The closer a crime is committed, the greater likelihood for catching them.
  • More crime, and more penalty from it.
  • Individual crime statistics.
  • Micro and macro actions for your people. Free drinks, money handouts, day off work and arrest. Can be used to temporarily boost happiness.
  • Ability to set punishment for prisoners manually + better ui for managing criminals.
  • New growable resource 'Herbs'. Used in the ration maker. Will be used in cooking services for the nobility in later updates.
  • Serial killer event
  • Added stuff to the tutorial.
  • Updated external libraries.
  • Fixed broken steam achievements.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A new update. Pictures in the link.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1162750/Songs_of_Syx/

More 4X stuff, diplomacy with different factions and characters.

quote:

A new era dawns. The greatest gaming event of 1999 is here. Song of Syx has a new patch.

Oh, where to begin, it's been so long, and I've forgotten what I've done, and lost the patch-notes in a game of poker. But basically, it's been all about the world map, and adding a sort of 4X experience to go along with the city builder. We now have proper generation, proper factions that are alive, proper everything world related on steroids!
No video this time, my mic broke. But here's the thumbnail:

Here's a neighbouring king, and his heirs. He will like you differently depending on his characteristics, and your history together. You can interact with him through diplomacy.

You can also send emissaries to keep him and his heirs happy. If he makes a fuss, assassination is an option.

You now have much greater control over your realm, with proper buildings, shamelessly ripped from the total war franchise (before they had the good sense of streamlining it).

I've also added a few things to the city building experience, features, fixes and quality of life. Orchards for instance.

There's still a bit missing that I didn't have time to add to the World. Most notably anything regarding armies. That's on the to-do list for the next version.

Next up, I want to do another polish update, focusing on the city map. I have a lot of plans, you can see them here: Trello

Overall, I'm exited, we're closing in on 1.0. I have only nobles left as a major feature, and of course a mountain of polish and balance.

EA 64 has to be checked out manually in steam for now, as a “beta”. I'm very curious about the balance late game, and how the AI conducts diplomacy and decides to take you on, so let me know, I'll be here, and on the Discord

The previous version is now available as the demo, for those of you who are still waiting for a sale or whatnot, so have a look at that.

Now go forth and conquer the world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
idk anytime I've viewed their videos it's 2010's meme and borderline racist edge lord humor. I can't say much more than initial impressions because I bail after a minute.