Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

In the Steam Demo build, the food building before Feast Halls was called Kitchen, and subjects had a bar for Kitchen access. Changing it to Eatery makes it make a whole lot more sense, since both those and Canteens take in raw food and feed subjects as their service.

Source: I just went off the Steam Demo build a couple of days ago, after fooling around in it for a couple of days. I'm up to 300 population, with 60ish asking to immigrate. It's my third start; the first two were with Humans but I went with Cretonians on this one and drat are they easier to satisfy ~

I'm also following the 'foraged opium to kickstart your economy' advice, and, well, I've been easily able to afford the first two cratesworth of battle gear (as well as everything else I might need, including keeping baseline amounts of stone and wood in stock when the work crew is busy on builds or the wild harvest), with always half a million or better SyxCoinz in reserve.

I crossed the 200-pop line quite awhile ago and have got just over 150 troops trained up so far and released back to their jobs, so I'm feeling ok about our chances on the first raid. As labor is available I'm scaling up those numbers: since I'm not spending labor on the gear, the training time taking extra hands away from the odd-jobber ranks is the main bottleneck.

A thing I wanted to ask about is, I've always got just heaps of Pelts lying around, but my Leather Tailor never has enough work load for three entire workers, much less the full crew. Is this a warehouse/hauling thing? Should I be building tiny, relatively-dedicated storage nooks all in and around the manufacturing town, instead of a smaller number of larger warehouses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Hmm, ok, now I'm envisioning industries with related inputs as the outer layer in a large structure, wrapped around an inner cluster of tiny warehouse rooms. Pretty sure I can make that work, going forward.

All my map gen settings have been bog standard, but with raids turned down (if that's possible before turning them off). It turned out that I ought in fact have been concerned: related, I finally noticed that the Administration building is at the bottom of the Infrastructure menu. Now I've got the province garrison to help me out, in addition to 1200 well-equipped vegetarian farmer militia, if I ever wanted to send 3/4ths of my population into harm's way...

I just pushed up to like 1,400 population, I've got about half of my map's river farmed, and about half of the un-exploited land has wild poo poo growing on it still. Trade leverage had started to break down, but I finally stockpiled my first 1800 knowledge and broke open gem mining, which was neat because the map's gem patch is near its tiny coal and ore patch, so I'm importing coal and ore and smelting that as well as locally sourced, some made from charcoal made from imported wood, instead of just importing metal now. Also changed over to making our own tools and battle gear, which is nice after buying hundreds of the one and thousands of the other.

I'm not yet sure if maybe replacing my small receiving depots with larger footprints will let me scale up importing somewhat, or if this is the ceiling, but I'm going to need an awful lot of tribute in materials instead of in cash crops if this is how it's going to work out. I can probably get up to 2,500 Cretonians on this map on my current approach, maybe more if working out how to control logistics is a big deal. Farm research alone will bump that up somewhat, too.

Oh, yeah, and I've got that many folks and they're all still bathing in wells, just a stupid loving pile of wells in the space between the bedroom community and the farm belt, because while I've gotten my statue work and poo poo up and am now stockpiling fancy stone, all of my poo poo is already consuming all of the coal I've managed to create or purchase. Cold communal bathing doesn't sound that much better than cold communal bucket bathing...which I guess means more tree farms and more charcoal burners. At least that last is pretty loving accurate, surely charcoal-burning took up some huge proportion of community labor almost everywhere where it gets worse than chilly at night, during the winter.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

You can just free slaves once you get them, then you’re not a pixel slaver

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’ve been building four-wide dire roads, and filling them in with 2x2 torches and then monuments along the middle two tiles, for all of the main through-ways, and it’s been working pretty well. I need to get around to coming up with a build pattern for a diagonal boulevard in this fashion which looks tolerable.

For much of the time it was just the outer road layers, and once the torches started filling in I also filled in the middle ways, leaving a 2x2 unpaved on either side of each torch, since Monuments were going in there eventually. Turns out you just can’t stop trees from growing, until the statuary went in anyway.

With this approach, I’ve been building out a Loud downtown, and a bedroom community north on the other side of the river, with a nice generous farm-and-pasture belt on either side between them. Both are composed of large segmented structures surrounded by the roadways I’ve described, and my town of 1,400 Cretonians employs three full Janitor crews, not always at more than 90% workload.

What it does is give me a very clear and straightforward way to expand the two towns and build more in a fashion which is aesthetically pleasing within the confines of the game, satisfies needs as well as speeding travel times, and allows me to be confident that what I’m laying out is more or less permanent. If needed any existing rooms within a block-structure can be merged or otherwise edited, and the outer walls could even be replaced, without loving around with the existing road grid.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ah, so I don’t need to demolish the walls first, I can just build roof tiles over them to swap them out?!

Phenomenal to know, thanks! With Rimworld dropping tomorrow it’ll probably be a bit before I get back into this but that alone should make a bunch of poo poo more straightforward.

UI gripe: when editing to expand a room, like particularly a farm, canceling out of it demolishes the entire thing and then requires seed produce for the previously-cultivated tiles to be re-cultivated (or rebuilding of the existing benches and poo poo). Can easily be compensated for by imports…if you’ve got the coin and if those supplies aren’t needed for food, like say because you accidentally deleted a huge grain farm in the beginning of the growing season :sigh:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

uhhhhh I spent a bunch of time looking for overlays, which it seemed like must be somewhere, and imagining the UI right now still can't place where this button is! I, unironically, fucken love this specific flavor of UI jank for reasons I can't quite define!

Thanks for the heads-up, I will look for it when next I'm stating up my city.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Popete posted:

Does anyone know if resource deposits are hidden in mountains ever? Like if I start digging out a cave will I come across some ore that didn't show up on the overlay previously until it was discovered?

Well I’ve dug into precisely one mountain so far, but when I was laying out the extraction ‘room’ all the deposit tiles were highlighted, and before I dug out the space for them the tiles were all visible in the right-click-hold info view. I had to swap out of the dog orders tool to check the deposits several times, since I didn’t know about the toggle control >.>

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

I was just about to ask but yeah, I tried upgrading my eateries to cafeterias directly and it cut their service ability down to 5 people from 28 (I mainly build small rooms). From what I see there, I want to build big in a central location? Because I feel like I might end up building a massive cafeteria that can only service so much of my pop because they're just too far away, wasting all that effort.

If you wind up not running your cafeteria to capacity, you can always build some in more remote sites to serve those folks then grow your population such that your central folks are using the poo poo you built for them!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Easier knowledge generation, lower knowledge upkeep sounds pretty decent to me!

Very interested in reproduction, since birth and death cycles are an enormous part of maintaining the kind of city-state this game lets you create. Probably going to try a fresh game here shortly, looking forward to enslaving the new race of Eaters only for them to devour their way to freedom! Actually I’ve never tried to use slavery in this game, except to occasionally buy people to free when the account is fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

What’s up with this sseth character? If I web search this name will it permanently defile my history?