Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Combat as far as I can tell is a function of equipment, numbers, and training, and also innate combat ability.

Different species have different stats, elves make good archers, dwarves make good infantry, giants make very good infantry.

You can set what equipment your squads have and how much, more equipment increases their combat stats and you can pick between ranged, melee weapons, and armour. There's like a set amount of stuff they can carry so you can't make them super good at everything so i would assign based on what you expect them to do, archers should get ranged focus, infantry should get melee and armour focus etc, though archers can be shot at so giving them armour is a good idea too.

Training is basically a choice between a part time militia and full time professional army, the more they train the higher their combat skill but the faster they churn through supplies to train and they can't do useful work while training either.

If you equip and train people as much as you can they will be good soldiers, not the best soldiers because they can get better by actually fighting stuff, but certainly good and probably a bit better than the troops you will likely face, though again numbers are a thing as well. Also walls help but unit pathing is fiddly, generally I think they allow you to use archers better but you need to make them pretty drat big to have them be useable.

You can also generally just keep paying off the bandits, it gets expensive but if you don't want to fight you can just economy hard enough that their tribute doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They will fill in water to get past it iirc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also has a horde of intensely unpleasant 4chan types who end up flooding the games he reviews.

Monetarily useful, garbage to have to clean up after.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's possible sure, personally I just felt like I was herding a pile of horrible smelly filth encrusted racist troglodytes around because that's just the setting, everyone's horrible, now conquer the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm a little sad on that note about the new portraits, the new ones are definitely "better" but I was kind of attached to the horrible potato filth people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I usually build major workshops for things that I'm using a lot of, like iron or bread or furniture, and then smaller ones for things where I might want to adjust the output, i.e smithies and such, so you can adjust your net output by changing their products.

You do probably want to try and put processing and storage next to industry if you can to minimise carrying, as that's wasted labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you do want to invest tech points in general efficiency for farms, as well as things which increase productivity of workshops. Ideally you want to produce more stuff with the same number of people to transition out of subsistence agriculture and into industry and eventually imperial administration. Workshop upgrades, a few levels of agricultural efficiency techs, and tool production are the big ones.