Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Finally getting into this after picking it up laat year. I think I'm mostly on track for stability (with my colony of ranching and fruit farming humans in Wales on the Britain world map), but I'm a bit concerned - just crossed 30 people and got the combat stuff unlocked and a warning about potential threats. How rough is the combat? Tutorial didn't touch it at all so it seems to be a "figure it out as you go" sort of thing, which is a little rough for "potentially game ending threat".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Good to know it's not too brutal right off the bat. I started on a wall to help keep safe, though I have a sinking feeling enemies can swim along the water I'm up against in the south. Working on the training grounds but I'm perpetually short on laborers, including carpenters, so it's slow going so far. Working on increasing population but have to stabilize food at the same time.

Village so far, probably terribly made and definitely with more housing than I should have built yet:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I ended up opting to shelve this for now. Death spiral after it turned out everything I could possibly export was worth 0-2 currency (mostly 0s) and everything I needed to recover was 20+ a piece. Couldn't get odd jobbers to go harvest wild opium that was (as far as I could tell) in range for emergency funds, food supply kept running out because I relied too hard on wood for bakeries. Only metal was in the opposite corner of the map with a tiny deposit, too, so even if I recovered (not feasible) I was still going to be stuck for a long time.

Four or five rerolls later and I finally get a map with "wild animals", coal, metal, and vegetables all on the same side of the map, immediately plan out a farm for my starting fruit & for the vegetables I was harvesting... wild animals were smilodons (I still don't know all the icons yet), population ate too many fruit and vegetables before eating the rations so my farms couldn't be finished until they were too small and too late. Another immediate collapse. I know how to avoid at least the "eating farm crops" now, but I'm sufficiently frustrated with how opaque the game is in a lot of placea that I'm just gonna let it cook a little longer before I dive in more. Got enough else I need to work through anyway.