Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not sure if there's a way to see your world gen settings (maybe in the save file itself if you open it in notepad? most of this game's files are plain text) - but raids default to "Few" which is the lowest they can go without turning them off and it's not rare to go long times without seeing any. It seems to be a factor of something but I'm not sure what - overall army strength seems to be related (anecdotal, but I've got far fewer raids since really ramping up my world map army sizes) but there might be other things too, like loyalty or happiness.

I'm guessing there's a pop floor below which you see absolutely none; I've done a couple centuries of building tall because there's nothing to really push me to build wide and deal with military presumably because I built tall, and haven't seen anything more dangerous than a smilodon.

It's kind of a surprise, this included a mass opium and gems exporter with a barely-trained militia and a completely disarmed sithilon mine, both of which should be tempting targets for small raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Has anyone tried waiting out the invasion you get after an unbroken siege? I rolled a start where I basically only need to leave my mountain cave for clay, wood, and immigrants, curious whether I could just refill the exit until they gently caress off but haven't had one yet to try.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I can't think of any fixed-format guides, but what's worked for me:

Just "won't die" is extremely freeform. Your target there is warehouses set to hold the local forageables (and maybe meat, copious with a single hunter but watch and move the building as after a few years it'll have cleared the area) and not hammering the invite immigrants button until you have enough food banked to get you to the harvest after next: around 24 days as of the end of harvest should be fine. Almost everything else is optional except maybe a hearth in a cold climate/easy water access in a warm one/both in temperate.

There's exactly one mechanical hurdle in the game, and it's that you need metal to start making metal. Ergo you need a little bit of money up until that point. After that there's no real penalty to paying off raiders no matter how indebted it makes you, or buying whatever no matter how close to broke it makes you.

There's exactly one expectations hurdle in the game, and it's that wheat, which seems like a staple crop and that the tutorial will tell you to grow, is worthless until baked into bread. It grows fast, bread keeps decently, you need some for booze anyway without significantly more expensive research, but if you lay down a bunch of wheat farms planning on food security and don't have an economy that can build and staff long-term bakeries you'll be sorry.

Other than that the core mechanic is just that almost every building has a significant maintenance cost and every resource a notable spoilage rate. You can't stockpile for years, or do an expensive buy, to finally build something and then repurpose; instead, the costs to run a building are similar to the costs to make it, usually with a separate consumable or two attached as well, and any production being removed needs to instead be just moved but still kept up.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of looking at your citizens are grumpy about, or what's at 100% usage load/products are running short/whatever that they'll soon be grumpy about, and building more of it in a logistically sensical way, which basically means near housing to work it (which gradually requires more and more services as target satisfaction scales higher with total population), with a warehouse to handle its inputs and outputs, and with that warehouse in range of other warehouses that hold the inputs it wants to pull or that can pull its outputs. As you get very big, this will involve dedicated haulers rather than the pull functionality.

Also, stone and meat are the two resources of which there's a truly limited amount available for quick and easy gathering but any more you'll have to mine/farm at a slower pace. Your early game access is unlimited and breezy, your mid to lategame access is like any other resource. Wood is pseudo-like this, but the map's initial allocation respawns every few years. Don't trust how much you have at the beginning, it will run out and you will be sad and hungry if you're say relying on charcoal from cleared wood to cook a loaf of bread a citizen a day.
Relatedly, deathcare is the one service where even in a small village, people get angrier than day 0 at a lack of it vs. happier as long as it's provided but no longer; you absolutely need a mass grave, or ideally a graveyard, asap. Law enforcement is the other "angry no matter what" issue and should also be prioritized, but crimes don't happen until you hit a certain population, so you can push it back a little (conveniently as it requires armor, metal, and polished stone, three slow-to-produce and expensive resources.)

So to start:
Two 7x7, 17-chest, warehouses near your throne (or not but it makes a decent ersatz dorm and holds your starter food) set to pull one tick of everything, one warehouse near land with a high density of non-wheat gatherables set to hold them, road between them, citizens set to gather those edibles.
Gradually build out farms, at a rate of around 1/7 or 1/8 of pop working them, near the gatherables.
Build an import depot to get your initial injection of metal. Don't import it yet.
Around now you'll want basic shack/shitter/shower services up centrally.
Build out to coal (or wooded areas if you don't have any) and ore deposits. Two warehouses near each, one to hold both inputs and outputs and one that can be smaller to pull food; the same basic civil services near each for the workers if it's a hike back to town center.
Start construction of ore mine, ore refiner, and coal mine or logging area/charcollier as appropriate.
Import as much metal as you need for those.
Import as many people as you need for those (but remember, they don't need to be fully-staffed at first.)

From there your game will just be looking at the shorter bars on the happiness UI and building the things that improve them, plus the things they rely on, plus whatever looks cool, plus gradually rationalizing your layout from one central town that does a little of everything via pull to many specialized districts that push. Constantly ticking up your pop when you can, while always remembering to keep services growing in proportion and never to forget to scale up every other district a little in response to higher demands.

If you ever decide you want to fight bandits or engage with the conquest mechanics (usually to get a resource you don't have natively on the cheap), your options are to build an export depot and scale up population to pay mercenaries, or train your own people. Training your own people means a certain number depending on your training facilities will quit work for a year or two, instantly plummeting your available workers, but if you have a decently-sized buffer this doesn't matter.

E: As a slight addition, there are buildings that automatically have the AI employ, buildings that don't automatically have the AI employ but can have it set, and buildings that don't automatically have the AI employ and can't. Category 1 is safe to leave set unless you've had a random murder rampage/riot/hard battle that whittled down your National Guard types. Category 2 is warehouses and needs it turned on ASAP if they're anything but a luxury-puller downtown. Category 3, mostly mines, you just play with sliders according to the ratio you want/have built for until you're not at negative laborers available (which will randomly reassign people, and someday it'll be "what if all the farmers make pottery, aren't mud pies tasty".)

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 10, 2022

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
They can also mine in if needed, and do so at a decent clip. Walls are there to suggest channels for their flow and give you a chance to exploit the pathing for purposes of archer and catapult attrition/fighting weaker enemies a boulevard-width at a time rather than letting them zerg rush stronger troops, not for buttoning up for a siege dorf-style.