Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Qubee posted:

Are raids the annoying noble event, where they ask for money and if you don't pay up, they attack after 4 days? I set mine to medium or whatever the next rung up from 'few' is, and I wish I never did. It's just annoying.

They are annoying, but otoh they’re also free slaves delivered to your doorstep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

How come my people never equip more than 2 clothing items regardless of how many I have stockpiled?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Click the Citizens tab in the top left menu on the city screen (the one that shows population + happiness), then click the "Equipment" tab on that screen and you can set how many clothes they'll grab (up to 5)

Thank you! They hid that one away well. The 2/5 on the screen when you have someone selected made me think they'd try to equip 5 by default.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Anyone know what's going on with the pathing here?

My guys, going from top-right to bottom-left, run off the road for a moment after they pass through the tunnel. I'm gonna fix it with a fence but I don't get why it's happening in the first place when just following the road is the more direct route.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I just realised the research screen has an X axis :aaa:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

So is everyone else going all-in on tool tech? Seems to me a bonus to tool production is basically a bonus to everything production?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 21, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

My canteens and eateries are pretty much always overloaded, I think I need to try building giant mess halls with dedicated food warehouses instead of messing around with little hole in the wall diners wherever I can squeeze them in

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Do canals actually work? I'm not seeing any change in the overall fertility rating of a farm I dug one next to, nor seeing anything happen on the fertility overlay as I dig one.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Roflex posted:

Farms have an "irrigation" factor which supposedly adds to the productivity. For an 8x8 farm, four tiles of canal (or any fresh water access) is enough to get it to 100%.

lmao, of course fertility and irrigation are entirely different stats, why wouldn't they be? thanks friend :)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well, just finished conquering the map. The AI is completely braindead so it's just an army size check. An army of 15K fully armed and trained troops will wipe the floor with all the AI stacks, which will suicide into you piecemeal when you invade. The only challenge is in building up the infrastructure to support that many troops in the field - you'll need a lot of military depots. I had three large warehouses dedicated to supplying the troops - one for battlegear, one for rations, and one for clothes and drinks, each serviced by multiple depots. Teching also gets a bit ridiculous - I'm pretty sure ancient cities weren't 33% libraries by land area.

Didn't rely on trade too heavily, I sold furniture to buy a bit of metal in the early game before I got my smelters up and running, probably bought some supplementary food along the way but most everything else was produced locally or taxed.

My capital, 7k pop (with 2k available immigrants)

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 26, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Pro tip that I just learned:

In order to receive taxed goods, you need an import depot set to receive that type of item. Just set the Import level to "Below 0%" if you don't want to buy any

Well that explains how you were finding it impossible to tax enough gems for your jewelers. I was a bit confused because I never even researched gem mining in my game and I was taxing enough from 2-3 provinces to supply my 23x13 jewelry factory and still be sitting at my 11k storage cap for gems, which was enough to max the bonus happiness humans get for them. To be honest though that caught me out at first too. I wasn't until after taking a few provinces I started wondering where the taxed goods would appear since I never saw any deliveries coming in to my warehouses, which prompted me to check the help entry for importers which confirmed they receive tributes.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You get your stuff back if you disband an army you raised in a different province too

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I never saw much reason to restrict myself to one or two races, I just took in everyone. The happiness modifiers for building shape and materials are really minor and every race gets a bonus to something so why not get them in and working at that? I had my humans doing all the research and admin, the farmer dudes farming, bugs in the armies and doing stuff like hauling and janitor work that no-one gets a bonus to anyway, dwarfs mining and refining, and my handful of giants smithing. Worked just fine.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Big opt-in beta patch just dropped. Adds kids and procreation rooms (:yikes:), women, education, riots, a new species, savable room configurations and a bunch of other stuff. Might fire it up again.

quote:

Path notes, V0.59

Patch notes will automatically be shown when something new has been added to the game!
Rebalance happiness in general. Should now be more stable, and immigration shouldn't ruin it.
Rebalance a few technologies.
Added more flavour to all species.
Tech tree now allows unlocking multiple techs at once.
Slave uprisings. Slaves no longer runs away. If they are unhappy enough they will rebel.
Slaves can now be sold to the slaver
Riots. When loyalty is low for subjects there is a chance for a riot. Can be put down with guards and soldiers.
Law remade. Much easier at first and climbs with your population. Happiness is no longer such a big factor.
Burials now count differently. If no deaths take place, value will be based on available grave spots.

Farm and pasture yields increased slightly
Production rate remake for all rooms. Adds intelligence as a possible factor and a lot of tweaks for better balance.
Fixed correct training for your city divisions on the world map.
Fixed library/admin paper bug, and made gaining tech/admin faster, while decaying at a lower speed.
Warning icon on harvestable food when not ripe added.
University room for education of adults
New smart remove tool.
Reconstructing rooms with different structure now works.
Workflow of room construction made better. Now refurnish without prompt & builds over other jobs.
When hovering a job/ something buildable, you'll be prompted to build jobs of the same type by hitting a hotkey.
New translation opportunities through crowdin. The idea is that the game will ship with these translations automatically, no need for mods.
New species, the Tilapi. Thrives in forests, and likes to eat people. Hates basically everyone. Good fighters and herders.
New portraits for all races. Thanks to Bendi!
Storage and logistics wiki entry
Immigration can now be set to a absolute number.
Launcher screen selection is now a bit clearer and simpler.
Education added. Education + intelligence = production boosts and knowledge. Will decrease loyalty a bit.
Indoctrination as an option to education. Indoctrination only adds to submission regardless of education.
School added. Can only be used by children. Will rapidly educate them.
Changed so that wild growables spawn based on yield rate, and decreased regeneration of all of them.
Added a multitude of hotkeys and new ways of assigning them.
Path notes will automatically be shown when something new has been added!
Children. Walks around and eats your food while contributing to nothing. Can also go to school.
New procreation rooms that lets you make new citizens. Breeder for Cretonians, Nursery for men and Hatchery for Garthimis.
Rooms on battle minimap fixed
Nerfed hunter success by 50%
Room refurnishing vanishing resources fix.
Added addition useful info to the food days tooltip.
Fixed disparaging enemy garrisons after battles
Tweaked pathing a bit. More road usage, and smoother paths.
Hearths now used once a week, even if no one is cold.
Fixed population decline in world regions.
Remade room, work and priority panels.
Made slaughtered animals into skeletons in pastures, so to stop the confusion.
World generation now have moddable blueprints for the terrain. Random seed also added.
Export depot remade into a static design, and has only one resource. Global settings for exporting in the UI
Visual genders for certain species, with feminine and masculine names.
Admin nerfed slightly. Harder to remain in control of regions. You need either an army stationed, or a big garrison.
Admin room now unlocks at Cheiftain (500 people)
Import depots have controls for global import level.
Import depot has a visual resource
Lavatory basins fixed
Janitors do a better job at fetching needed resources
New title system. Titles can be unlocked and then used with a new game. Unlocked titles persist between games and also hopefully versions.
Savable room layouts that will also hopefully survive between versions.
x200 speed added if you push the third speed key twice.
Some rooms leave the floor/road when deleted
Steam achievements now triggered when you press the sync steam button.
Trade resource counter fixed
Bonuses in status panel sorted alphabetically
Warehouse and export depot UI fixes
Added tooltip for equipping resources with their wear-rate
Improved the room creation UI
Added UI for how much a race like other races in the race info panel
Some needs now resets, such as drink. Will help that initial drink supplying.
Improved canteen workers significantly and their usage as well.
New room - transport. A cart pulled by animals that is loaded and then sent to a destination. Requires livestock to operate. Moves 200 items at a time.
Hauler now come in different sizes.
Made freed slaves immigrants, so you'll have some time before their expectations rise.
Smarter Deliverymen
All now have multi-carry capabilities. They'll carry up to 3 resources, and be a bit smarter about it.
Refiners have common storage for output.
Deliverymen has had their carry capacity nerfed a bit.

Prolonged the day-length. This is to optimise things and make distances less important. Leisure time can be experienced as longer in early game though.
New stat: riches. Based on the amount of credits you have per citizen.
Military depots have setting how much they'll be filled.
Trade interval halved, more frequent trades. Good deals for SoS. Trade reworked, should be better in general.
Import depots has more storage.
New penalty for exports. You'll be paid less at the beginning, but this penalty can be reduced by techs and levels.
AI now receives tribute as to what makes sense, not a static amount for each, resulting in a more balanced market.
Spoils and tribute will go to the throne, if there is no import depot for the resource. Also imports that has had their import depots removed.

measuring tool with right click.
Deposits colored after density
A new super copier tool
Fixed keyboard issues
Proximity instead of distance in services. And this has been nerfed, allowing you to reach 100%.
Service coverage radius increased by 50%
Toggable overlay when building roads
Some rooms have their settings copied when copying them. Worker limits and warehouse settings.
Fixed mining output based on workers
Added "Starfoth The Burgundy"'s Silk Rug's2 nobility mod to the main game.
5 new soundtracks
Info in main menu about starting race
Expanded info when placing down first city

MODDING
Environments (awe, harmony) modifiable.
Monuments/decorations made modifiable, and ordinary rooms can map to these.
Added support for invalid keys for mods. Race init files can now have rooms that doesn't exist. Make sure you have debug on when modding to test that you aren't making mistakes.
Remade the appearance block of subjects almost completely. Now allows for more modularity when rendering portraits. There is an example race you can have a look at in game folder that hopefully explains it. Not too difficult too convert from the old system.
Added a file-type "_IgnoreVanilla.txt". Place this anywhere in order to ignore all vanilla assets in the folder.
Added new mod versioning. At the root of the mod folder, you must have a new folder VXX, where XX is the major version number of the game. So you can now support multiple versions.
Sync steam button no longer hangs
Removed totorial + examples is mod does not have their own.
Added support for more textures. Crazy content mods is no problem, and bigger fonts possible, such as Asian ones. (you specify texture size in mod _info.txt as TEXTURE_CACHE_SIZE Can be 4096, 8192, 16384)

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 21, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

tl;dr:

- religion and temples are in. each pop has an initial religion weighted by their race. there are three religions, one based on saccing goods, one on saccing animals, one on saccing people. two of them get along and one (presumably the human sacrifice one) doesn't like the other two. you can convert pops between religions.

- entertainment is in. three tiers: speakers, actors, and gladiators. you need all three tiers though. people throw fruit at entertainers they don't like.

- enemies captured in battle now become prisoners rather than slaves. prisoners can be sacced at temples, sent to fight in the arena (sometimes but not usually to the death), or converted to slaves at a slaver building.

- supporting the roof in larger buildings works differently now. looks like you can't use support pillars any more, you have to build internal walls and partition your poo poo.

- bugfixes etc

i think that was all he talked about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

lol