Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barfdog

Are you proud of yourself, op?

https://i.imgur.com/FLpAnfS.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Doctor Dogballs posted:

christ, imagine using windows at home, by choice.. why on earth

Some folks really like system tray popups I guess!

I was over at my dad's yesterday and in 2 minutes he got no fewer than 5 tray popups about various software wanting to update and/or upsell. #WindowsLife

At least it doesn't crash as much as it did it 1990.

E: for OP: how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck a copy of Windows 3.1 out the window of a 5th story building at sea level?

nitsuga

Also, what's your opinion on Windows users?

barfdog

there is truly only one way to figure out where you stand on all things computer:

OP...vim or emacs?

cruft

barfdog posted:

there is truly only one way to figure out where you stand on all things computer:

OP...vim or emacs?

acme
:evilbuddy:

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

do you pronounce it "lynn-icks" or "lye-nicks"

"lynn-icks"

barfdog posted:

Are you proud of yourself, op?

yos

cruft posted:

E: for OP: how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck a copy of Windows 3.1 out the window of a 5th story building at sea level?

idk

nitsuga posted:

Also, what's your opinion on Windows users?

wish they would stop using Winblows

barfdog posted:

OP...vim or emacs?

uhhhhhhhh I'm not familiar with either, I just use Kate because it's the default editor for my DE

I'm sorry

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
On Winblows, I use NFOPad for viewing .nfos from torrents. :filez:

It also lets you open links with Ctrl + click, and I don't know any text editor on Linux that has that feature.

cruft

Yuu Morisawa posted:

On Winblows, I use NFOPad for viewing .nfos from torrents. :filez:

It also lets you open links with Ctrl + click, and I don't know any text editor on Linux that has that feature.

Visual Studio Code

nut

what r ur hobbies

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
thanks fren

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

nut posted:

what r ur hobbies

I watch annie may

nut

Yuu Morisawa posted:

I watch annie may

is that the woman spiderman loves

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

nut posted:

is that the woman spiderman loves

no it's those japanese cartoons

nut

not a question but i recently watched an entire season of lupin on a friend's recommendation and it's the only anime i watched in years but it was p good

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

this thread made me install manjaro onto my laptop. hope your happy op

well... that and xubuntu was acting weird after an update. but this thread was like at least 10% of the reason as well!!!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

actual question: do you use a l33t hacker style terminal or a nice modern looking one

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free
I think I'll set up a vm of Manjaro, thanks op! it looks cool and I've only ever worked with Debian, and Mandrake back in the day

also please post your wallpaper, it's cute

Escape From Noise

Hey op, I think it's cool you have a thing you like. I hope I wasn't a big jerk.

gay for gacha

Nice!

(I use arch btw)

nut

...bam manjaro

barfdog

i use freebsd because i am a masochist but i'm glad to see people using any form of *nix more tbh

CatBlack

hello world

barfdog posted:

i'm glad to see people using any form of *nix more tbh

same with the exception of mac os. foss or die

alexandriao

is it a POS? i’ve heard some sources say that a lot of operating systems are Pieces Of You Know What!!

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
sorry y'all I haven't checked the thread in a while I'll reply ASAP

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

actual question: do you use a l33t hacker style terminal or a nice modern looking one

hmm

I mainly use Guake (Quake-style terminal) and Terminology

Not sure which those would be

Code Jockey posted:

I think I'll set up a vm of Manjaro, thanks op! it looks cool and I've only ever worked with Debian, and Mandrake back in the day

also please post your wallpaper, it's cute

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/90561024

The character is Laura from Tropical-Rouge! Precure

also that's cool I hope you like it as well

Escape From Noise posted:

Hey op, I think it's cool you have a thing you like. I hope I wasn't a big jerk.

Thanks

gay for gacha posted:

Nice!

(I use arch btw)

very cool

barfdog posted:

i use freebsd because i am a masochist but i'm glad to see people using any form of *nix more tbh

How is it different from a Linux distro? (I know that it's an OS rather than just a kernel but not much else)

I also wish people would stop using Winblows

CatBlack posted:

same with the exception of mac os. foss or die

I remember that one of my aunts uses Mac and she had to install a program to connect to Android :wtc:

gross

cruft

l33t hacker checking in here!

I used rxvt for years, and now I use hterm. Both are plain and boring, which is what I want so I can focus on doing l33t hacker stuff.

When you're doing rad poo poo, you don't want to waste CPU and attention on your computer looking like a movie prop.

barfdog

Yuu Morisawa posted:

How is it different from a Linux distro? (I know that it's an OS rather than just a kernel but not much else)

As a "Berkeley System Distribution" (BSD), it's a direct open source descendent of AT&T Unix, rather than being a "built from the ground up" Unix-like system, like Linux is. You'll find that mostly everything in the user environment works in a very similar way, but the BSD kernel is vastly different from that of Linux, and you will find noticeable differences in filesystem structure, and potentially in standard shell utility output and command format (given that all of BSD's are BSD tools, whereas a lot of Linux's are "remakes" of standard Unix tools, I guess you could say).

Butter Activities
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm not 1337 enough nor hate myself enough to try Arch I just like debian based linux. Mint, Kali and Ubuntu just work for everything I need them to do.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
I installed MX Linux on an old laptop recently to try it out. It's fast and easy to use, but Manjaro w/ KDE Plasma is still better imo.

However, one thing I discovered that I don't like about Dolphin (the file browser) is that it cannot run as root, which is dumb.

alexandriao

Manjaro you glad I didn't say Gentoo

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

Update: I figured out how to install Arch on an old rear end laptop

CatBlack

hello world
How does KDE run on that hardware? I've always recommended XFCE to people with older hardware but I know KDE has been improving.

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free
So I wasn't able to install Manjaro on my Thinkpad but I did install Kubuntu and holy cow plasma is nice

It's been ages since I seriously tried using Linux as a desktop OS and the experience is so much better now

Thanks for the motivation OP and I still will try Manjaro on a VM on my server

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

CatBlack posted:

How does KDE run on that hardware? I've always recommended XFCE to people with older hardware but I know KDE has been improving.

It's pretty usable most of the time and looks amazing.

Code Jockey posted:

So I wasn't able to install Manjaro on my Thinkpad but I did install Kubuntu and holy cow plasma is nice

It's been ages since I seriously tried using Linux as a desktop OS and the experience is so much better now

Thanks for the motivation OP and I still will try Manjaro on a VM on my server

I like Manjaro because it's easy to setup and use and I hope you like it too.

Also I'm glad I stopped using Windows and I generally have had a more positive experience that I did with Windows 10. Also always have a 8.1 PC if I really need to use something on Windows

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

the recycling bin gets bigger and bigger and every 3 days the system hard reboots

Leika

Nice, I've been using Manjaro for a while. Used Archlinux before, but it has the tendency to break when you make an update and are too lazy to read the changelogs.... Manjaro is basically Archlinux but they wait with updates until the cutting edge folks found all the bugs....

CatBlack

hello world

Leika posted:

Nice, I've been using Manjaro for a while. Used Archlinux before, but it has the tendency to break when you make an update and are too lazy to read the changelogs.... Manjaro is basically Archlinux but they wait with updates until the cutting edge folks found all the bugs....

I've been using arch for years and the only thing that is really broken and a pain to deal with is proprietary nvidia drivers.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
I've generally had a good experience with Arch so far but I've been using for only less than a week

Leika

I was never horribly broken, but at the worst times. In university I messed up my system right before the exams, every semester...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vei
what's the most years in a row uve been able to update a linux OS without it bricking