Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!
Any tips on what to check out when buying a cargo trailer?

All my research leads me to believe that anything towable is pretty much falling apart the moment it leaves the lot.

Should I tow it at speed to see that it doesn’t wobble? Jump on the plywood and look for soft spots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!
Thank you for the advice! I will be heeding everything said so far. Bringing a ladder to check the roof, flashlight for under.

Tow vehicle is a ‘21 Hyundai Palisade with factory tow package including transmission cooling, auto-leveling - 5000 pounds max limit.

So far for suspects / prospects:

We found a 6x12 with 6.5’ interior height dual axle that was made in May of this year, used for a single drive from Chicago to Seattle and now they are unloading it for $6500 including spare tire, X Track, and D Rings. Rated to 7000 pounds, it has a 2 5/8” hitch. Obviously we don’t plan to load this thing even close to its capacity. Has a 7 pin connector.

The VIN come back clean, they have the Certificate of Origin and it looks decent:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/507404586981102/

Concerns so far: looks like they added caulking around the window on the door - seller says that her dad slept in the trailer for security when they drove those three days… and did it to ensure no leaks. My read? It leaks. Didn’t want a window on the door so may need to consider a change there.

This definitely looks like a lower end trailer in terms of the number of fasteners and so forth. Honestly we need this to survive a 2400 mile trip and then we will likely sell it to the next family who needs to Haul their butt on a move.

If things look decent and we pick it up, do you all still recommend that we have the bearings repacked for the cross country haul?

Thank you again Something Awful friends!

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!
Thank you all again for this great advice.
We are headed down tomorrow morning. 🤞