Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A rogue mercenary group lead by American Senator Steven Armstrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AcrossMediums/status/1412820981622575108?s=20

The PNH is the national police. He allegedly ran some errands earlier today.

https://twitter.com/HaitiInfoProj/status/1412761617171763204?s=20

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

i'm increasingly curious about the motivation behind this murder. moise wasn't exactly a stranger to the united states and the cause celebre for a midnight assassination isn't really coming to mind, yet clearly someone wanted him dead enough to pass themselves off as dea cretins. maybe there's some value in destabilizing haiti but i don't really see it in any way that doesn't look like an absolute galaxy brain maneuver

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the perfidious irish are setting up a frame job on the noble and innocent cia and you rubes are taking the bait hook line and sinker. wake up sheeple

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Was there a goon project to protect him?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
it was caro, op

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

https://www.democracynow.org/2021/7/7/haitian_president_jovenel_moise_assassination

"The audience should understand, yes, Martelly was handpicked by the Clintons as a puppet, as someone who would do their bidding and join the campaign. It was obvious that the Clintons, Bill Clinton, who was running the CIRH to supposedly rebuild Haiti “back better” — same slogan that Joe Biden used in his recent campaign — that they would find that this is the person who would be — a degenerate, someone — I know that this program has done much about Martelly, so I don’t want to even go there. But what is important is that Martelly handpicked Jovenel Moïse."

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I guess the president's term expired this year so it would make sense for people in high places to kill the dude and prevent further instability. That and he probably had information that would lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
where they using Spanish on the megaphone?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Yossarian-22 posted:

I guess the president's term expired this year so it would make sense for people in high places to kill the dude and prevent further instability. That and he probably had information that would lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

he did lol. another corpse on hillarys hands

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
lol it's always the cia

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Buck Turgidson posted:

lol it's always the cia

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Retarded Goatee posted:

it was caro, op

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Buck Turgidson posted:

lol it's always the cia

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i think its impossible to say

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/r0DWUQv.mp4

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

quote:

Four people suspected of being involved in the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse of Haiti were killed by the police in a gun battle and two others were arrested, Haiti’s police chief said late Wednesday. The chief, Léon Charles, also said that three police officers who had been held hostage were freed.

“The police are engaged in a battle with the assailants,” he said at a news conference, noting that the authorities were still in pursuit of some suspects. “We are pursuing them so that, in a gunfight, they meet their fate or in gunfight they die, or we apprehend them.”

Millions of Haitians anxiously huddled around radios and televisions throughout the day, staying off the streets as they tried to understand who killed the president, why and what the coming days might mean for the country. The assassination has created a political void that threatens to deepen the turmoil that has gripped Haiti for months.

Mr. Moïse’s wife, Martine Moïse, was also shot in the attack, the interim prime minister, Claude Joseph, said in a statement. Ms. Moïse was transported to a hospital in southern Florida for treatment.

“A group of unidentified individuals, some of them speaking Spanish, attacked the private residence of the president of the republic and thus fatally wounded the head of state,” the prime minister said, but there was little solid information about who might have carried out the assassination.

In an interview with The New York Times, Mr. Joseph said that he was the one running the country at the moment. Still, it was unclear how much control he had, or how long it might last. A new prime minister had been scheduled to replace Mr. Joseph this week, and the head of the nation’s highest court, who might also have helped establish order, died of Covid-19 in June.

Later Wednesday, in a televised broadcast to the nation, Mr. Joseph presented himself as head of the government and announced that he and his fellow ministers had declared a “state of siege.”

Mr. Joseph called for calm.

“Let’s search for harmony to advance together, so the country doesn’t fall into chaos,” he said.

He also vowed that the commando unit that had carried out the assassination would be brought to justice.

The news of Mr. Moïse’s assassination rocked the Caribbean nation 675 miles southeast of Miami. But it had already been in turmoil.

In recent months, protesters had taken to the streets to demand Mr. Moïse’s removal. He had clung to power, ruling by decree for more than a year, even as many — including constitutional scholars and legal experts — argued that his term had expired. Others, including the United States, backed his position that his term did not end until next year.

Armed gangs control many streets and have taken to kidnapping even schoolchildren and church pastors in the middle of their services. Poverty and hunger are on the rise, and the government has been accused of enriching itself while not providing even the most basic services.

Now, the political vacuum left by Mr. Moïse’s killing could fuel a cycle of violence, experts warned.

More than two centuries ago, Haitians fought to throw off the yoke of colonial France and bring an end to to one of the world’s most brutal slave colonies, which had brought France great wealth. What started as a slave uprising at the turn of the 18th century eventually led to the stunning defeat of Napoleon’s forces in 1803.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

you also know it was cia because the newspapers are on the drop immediately with statements about how haiti faces a violent new era or whathaveyou, no questions asked, working hand in glove to massage perception

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I wonder what organization is famous for death squads speaking English and Spanish. I think it's the letters

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

my bad guys

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

no one, he died of natural causes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jabberlock posted:

no one, he died of natural causes

overly ventilated brain

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qeqt5UNz3sQ

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

He killed himself seems like. No need to make everything a conspiracy theory.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/07/07/assassination-its-president-puts-haiti-risk-anarchy-un-must-intervene/

:hmmyes:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-CG5w4YwOI

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0V7lWv2YlI

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

holy poo poo the blob wastes no loving time yo

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

lol

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

WaPo Ghouls posted:

There is recent precedent for such a force — the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti, whose blue-helmeted troops patrolled Haiti for 13 years before leaving in 2017. That mission, which involved forces from Brazil, Uruguay and other nations, was a far cry from perfect. U.N. troops from Nepal introduced a severe cholera epidemic in Haiti, and others fathered hundreds of babies born to impoverished local women and girls. There were credible allegations of rape and sexual abuse by troops.

uuhh yeah guys, we need more of this

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
So was this guy a piece of poo poo? I don't know anything about the recently zapped president of Haiti.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hey I think I found the guy that did it

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Retarded Goatee posted:

uuhh yeah guys, we need more of this

Lula sent Brazilian troops as a way to stay in the good graces of the US. And the US repaid Lula's subservience on that issue by kicking out his successor and helping to imprison him.

It's CIA coups all the way down.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Office Pig posted:

all solid answers, very consistent, here's my official power rankings for un-lifening caribbean heads of state

am*rica
franc*
h*nd*r*s
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
brazil
:france: : i am ready to bet that in a few days there will be a "russia hacked our election" level claim by a few people in the us press it was all VENEZUELA.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Crazypoops posted:

Was there a goon project to protect him?

Grovercorp, LLC.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

lmao

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

lmao at "editorial board"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BIG HORNY COW posted:

lmao at "editorial board"

when you're told to manufacture consent, but no one wants to stick their neck out for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Azathoth posted:

when you're told to manufacture consent, but no one wants to stick their neck out for it

Every editorial board member agreed we should invade haiti so they just figured it was easier than listing them all individually