Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

https://www.businessinsider.fr/us/h...ness+Insider%29

Business Insider posted:

2 men are claiming to be Haiti's prime minister after the country's president was assassinated

Interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph and Ariel Henry, who Moïse named as prime minister on Tuesday before his death, are both claiming the title and giving disputed interviews to the press.
Joseph was the leader who announced Moïse's death, and told The New York Times on Wednesday that he was now in charge of Haiti's government. Joseph has declared a "state of siege," which closed the country's borders and instituted martial law.
Joseph later told The Associated Press that Henry was "designated" as prime minister but "never took office."
"I was the one who was a prime minister, who was in office. This is what the law and the constitution says," he told AP.
Henry, however, contradicted Joseph in his own interview with AP.
"It's an exceptional situation. There is a bit of confusion," he said. "I am the prime minister in office."
In an interview with Haitian newspaper Le Nouvelliste, Henry added that while he claimed to be the rightful leader, he urged a "consensus" be reached and said he didn't want to "throw oil on the fire."
The corpse isn't even buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/HaitiInfoProj/status/1413160810327670789?s=20
https://twitter.com/madanboukman/status/1413161059167375360?s=20

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I'm guessing this new interim guy is the one being championed by whatever faction in the security blob is responsible for the assassination

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Well yeah, historically when it happens, it's generally Haitians who kill their own heads of state. See Dessalinnes(bullet), Henri (suicide), Riché(poison?), Vilbrun Guillaume (shoot to death by the Haitian revolutionaries in front of the french embassy) and my favorite: Duvalier (suicide by diabetes).
Respect to good old Cincinnatus Leconte only former-Haitian president to be the uncle of the only black man who died during the Titanic's maiden voyage. He only died when the ammunition storage exploded. Still claims of assassination.
vvvvvvvvvv that's because i miss remembered it, it's his nephew who died in the Titanic, Cincinnatus died in an explosion. Sounds like a ck2 murder attempt really.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 07:24 on Jul 9, 2021

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Respect to good old Cincinnatus Leconte only former-Haitian president to die during the Titanic's maiden voyage.

Holy poo poo I never heard that before

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chicago demands international intervention then, Autocrat Lightfoot belongs in a jail cell.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's still speculation but looking increasingly like a palace coup, Moise killed by his own mercenaries to keep up the veneer of democracy that makes these puppets useful. I bet it was also preempting the new PM coming in so that Claude Joseph can fill the vacuum and get some show elections set up. The US/OAS is good at orchestrating sham elections in Haiti, like they did to force Martelly onto the Haitian people.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Could not think of who would do this in any at all, truly a mystery.
Inasmuch as I cannot think think this could be an act of alien actors.
Anyways why are we accusing all these foreign intelligence agencies of this?

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 21:41 on Jul 8, 2021

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
did he come out with plans to nationalize healthcare or any industries or any program to make working people's lives easier?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

no, he was a hand-picked US puppet who overstayed his welcome. His term ended months ago and he was ruling by decree like a dictator.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crowsbeak posted:

Could not think of who would do this in any at all, truly a mystery.
Inasmuch as I cannot think think this could be an act of alien actors.
Anyways why are we accusing all these foreign intelligence agencies of this?

Not that I would in any way put it past the CIA since I'm sure they've almost certainly assassinated Haitian presidents before, but I haven't heard jackshit about Haiti in the news or among the chattering classes generally. Like, I could buy that it was us but usually something as big as an assassination has a media campaign preceding it so that we know that the person we killed was very bad.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

You don't hear about Haiti in the news because they don't have a government that defies the US like Cuba Venezuela Nicaragua Iran do. Once the resistance is out of power, they point the lights of the media elsewhere. Same reason you don't hear about Libya post-Ghadaffi, even though it's become a failed state with open slave markets. That doesn't mean the CIA has no interests there, it just means it's best to leave the gruesome chaos that keeps any people-first government from taking power in complete darkness while the US exploits anything of value.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1413214506466086916

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fast Luck posted:

You don't hear about Haiti in the news because they don't have a government that defies the US like Cuba Venezuela Nicaragua Iran do. Once the resistance is out of power, they point the lights of the media elsewhere. Same reason you don't hear about Libya post-Ghadaffi, even though it's become a failed state with open slave markets. That doesn't mean the CIA has no interests there, it just means it's best to leave the gruesome chaos that keeps any people-first government from taking power in complete darkness while the US exploits anything of value.

Right. They just usually let us know that one particular foreign leader or another is bad before they get zapped. NY Times and WaPo publish sweaty thinkpieces lamenting the state of democracy in Haiti, talk about corruption and a crime epidemic, etc, etc.

I don't put it outside the realm of possibility that the CIA killed him, but the groundwork hasn't been laid with the public which makes that feel a little off.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

Right. They just usually let us know that one particular foreign leader or another is bad before they get zapped. NY Times and WaPo publish sweaty thinkpieces lamenting the state of democracy in Haiti, talk about corruption and a crime epidemic, etc, etc.

I don't put it outside the realm of possibility that the CIA killed him, but the groundwork hasn't been laid with the public which makes that feel a little off.

How much of this is due to trump taking up so much of the media attention and covid over the past year?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I think it's just likely whoever was in charge of running this guy for the CIA doesn't do that anymore and now sometimes restructuring. My guess is on the Prime Minster who shouldn't be the prime minister anymore

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
typical american exceptionalism thinking that noone else could possibly assassinate a political figure but the cia

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/haitiantimes_/status/1413241509558767619?s=21

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

had napoleon decided to break with france's past and welcomed haiti as brothers in freedom, he would not have lost the mandate of heaven. he would have crushed the british at waterloo and ruled all of europe.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

or maybe imperialism mandated he require sugar to sell in order to fuel his army. napoleon slave-freer alt-history is bleh because it ignores material and economic forces

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1413321635512283140?s=20

allegedly a lot of people killed the president of Haiti

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Americans and Columbians. I wonder who coulda done it....

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/HaitiInfoProj/status/1413288029075099648

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

were they trying to get caught

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

i wonder if Colombia would've been a wannabe continental hegemon if Uncle Sam wasn't around. Their Iraq and Afghanistan would be Venezuela and Haiti

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

america as a global hegemon can only just exert itself upon those states, and even we inevitably gave in on afghanistan. i think colombia attempting the same would end quite poorly for them

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Maximo Roboto posted:

i wonder if Colombia would've been a wannabe continental hegemon if Uncle Sam wasn't around. Their Iraq and Afghanistan would be Venezuela and Haiti

Bolivarists would have probably realized his dream of making Columbia, Venezuela, and others into one country

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

i say swears online posted:

or maybe imperialism mandated he require sugar to sell in order to fuel his army. napoleon slave-freer alt-history is bleh because it ignores material and economic forces

Yeah but Napoleon himself fell into that trap as he kept thinking he should have accepted Toussaint's deal after he lost everything.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

Colombia is so militarized because of its role in US imperialism. The US helped train anti-FARC forces, and since the end of the civil war a lot of those guys are on the market to fight elsewhere. The UAE hired a bunch to fight in Yemen. They've also been involved in harassing the Venezuelan border.

Brazil has almost half of the population of South America. It'd be the better candidate for continental hegemon.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it was the UAPs

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

In a way, we all did.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

KillerQueen posted:

In a way, we all did.
WOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOO
*Sympathy for the devil starts playing*

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Colombia is so militarized because of its role in US imperialism. The US helped train anti-FARC forces, and since the end of the civil war a lot of those guys are on the market to fight elsewhere. The UAE hired a bunch to fight in Yemen. They've also been involved in harassing the Venezuelan border.

Brazil has almost half of the population of South America. It'd be the better candidate for continental hegemon.

Yeah absent U.S. imperialism Colombia probably wouldn't be as right-wing as it is now. I do wonder if some countries in that region have stronger chauvinist, pro-interventionist streaks compared to their neighbors, though.

Brazil also gets points for speaking a different language from all of its neighbors, like America does. The hegemony of the other.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Maximo Roboto posted:

Yeah absent U.S. imperialism Colombia probably wouldn't be as right-wing as it is now. I do wonder if some countries in that region have stronger chauvinist, pro-interventionist streaks compared to their neighbors, though.

Brazil also gets points for speaking a different language from all of its neighbors, like America does. The hegemony of the other.
Note that Columbia, Venezuela, Ecuador and Panama all used to be part of Gran Columbia. Great Columbia : John Quincy Adams, then Secretary of State and future president of the United States (after some grand elector vote fuckery), once claimed it to '"be one of the most powerful nations on the plane". It's so surprising they keep falling into pieces. It's like someone is really having fun keeping them that way. But yeah, Brazil is the only country intact enough for hegemony.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 10:47 on Jul 9, 2021

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1413321635512283140?s=20

allegedly a lot of people killed the president of Haiti

28 Cololmbian mercs huh? Maybe Maduro was onto something, just mixed which president they were there to kill...

https://twitter.com/teleSURtv/status/1411139410150760449

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Maximo Roboto posted:

Oh certainly. Consider that both Venezuela and Colombia can claim Bolivar who made his life as a warlord of South America who was quite fine double dealing to with Spain and the British empire to maximize his power at the expense of other, more forthright revolutionaries and his death after embarking on a full conquest of the other new policy’s of the firmer Spanish Empire. I could definitely see either

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

a bunch of them tried to hide out in the Taiwanese embassy
https://twitter.com/amyyqin/status/1413442413809475589?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Woops

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

a bunch of them tried to hide out in the Taiwanese embassy
https://twitter.com/amyyqin/status/1413442413809475589?s=20
Well, they clearly aren't Haitians. That one president i mentionned sooner who was shot in front of the french embassy? He was hiding inside the french embassy before being dragged outside. Who the hell stay in the country they killed the president of anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

it's stunningly sloppy for a successful assassination, why would you pile into a largely rural country with a team in the double digits and then announce your presence through a bullhorn after firing off dozens of rounds into the home of the country's president, and not have anything resembling an escape plan to the point that a bunch of dudes in the countryside can just pick you up and throw you onto the back of a truck?

i'd almost suspect it was on purpose if a bunch of them hadn't ended up getting murked