Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

CleverHans posted:

I feel like everybody blaming the CIA is forgetting that the CIA (and America in general) has not given a poo poo about Haiti for at least the last 30 years or so.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Haitian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CleverHans posted:

I feel like everybody blaming the CIA is forgetting that the CIA (and America in general) has not given a poo poo about Haiti for at least the last 30 years or so.

The only thing the American body politic would like to do regarding Haiti is not to have to deal with anymore Haitian refugees and, ideally, send the ones we already have back. Executing a plan whose result is literally everyone going "Well, shits REALLY hosed up now" seems to run counter to that goal.

lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

More like StupidHans :pwn:

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I was off by a decade - please continue dunking on me and ignore all the rest of my arguments, thank you.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there is a massive amount of space between "joe biden personally directed seal team 6 to no scope headshot jovenel moise", which is almost certainly false, and "the cia and us haven't given a poo poo about haiti in decades", which is also extremely false and very stupid as well.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Laterite posted:

Haiti dared to have a successful revolution to throw out their colonial overseers and have paid the price ever since.

haiti is the only country providing reparations for the slave trade. thank u france for holding them accountable

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chaos option: the US actually didn't have anything to do with this and it was Canada behind it to make way for their mining interests

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

One of the team that took him out must have bragged about it on Instagram by now. Someone should check there.

https://twitter.com/APjoshgoodman/status/1413825206678925313?s=20

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CleverHans posted:

I was off by a decade - please continue dunking on me and ignore all the rest of my arguments, thank you.
the US has
* destroyed haiti's self-sufficiency by killing all the creole pigs and forcing tariffs to be liefted so they could be flooded with cheap arkansas rice, driving haitian rice farmers under
* couped aristide a first time, with CIA-trained officers leading the massacre of thousands of aristide supports
* couped aristide a second time, literally kidnapping him from his villa themselves and renditioning him to africa

More recently
* forced michel martelly into the presidency even though he lost in the election in the first round
* pushed through sham elections to get martelly's successor jovenel moise in, even though haitianas had no faith in the election and only 15% voted
* backed moise as recently as this year, under biden, despite his term being expired and him using mercenary gangs to massacre protestors and stay in power

the goal is to keep haiti subservient and exploited. The fact that they have fraudulently gotten the last two presidents installed means less direct coups were necessary. But we've seen what they'll do when they don't get their way already. And i would say they certainly knew this assassination was coming, and looked at moise's status in haiti and said hmm okay, a la diem in vietnam

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

wasnt moise's security run by Americans as well?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

CleverHans posted:

you weren't off by a decade, because the US never stopped manipulating Haitian politics, including installing Moise himself and supporting him even after he remained in office after the end of his term and started ruling by decree. it was such a stupid thing to say that the rest of your "arguments" aren't even worth reading

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol just like Venezuela

https://twitter.com/miamiherald/status/1413949740635631616?s=21

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TenementFunster posted:

you weren't off by a decade, because the US never stopped manipulating Haitian politics, including installing Moise himself and supporting him even after he remained in office after the end of his term and started ruling by decree. it was such a stupid thing to say that the rest of your "arguments" aren't even worth reading

I would never claim that the US hasn't influenced Haitian politics. The amount of money flowing from Haitian ex-pats alone, much less the amounts from business interests, is enough to fully tilt one way or the other. My argument is that the US government doesn't care enough, one way or the other, who is in power down there right now to send a hit squad, as it runs counter to their interests.

Or the CIA is much dumber than we give them credit for.

Or it was not intended as a hit squad and something along the way went very, very wrong.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

CleverHans posted:

I would never claim that the US hasn't influenced Haitian politics. The amount of money flowing from Haitian ex-pats alone, much less the amounts from business interests, is enough to fully tilt one way or the other. My argument is that the US government doesn't care enough, one way or the other, who is in power down there right now to send a hit squad, as it runs counter to their interests.

Or the CIA is much dumber than we give them credit for.

Or it was not intended as a hit squad and something along the way went very, very wrong.
you are a profoundly stupid person

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

and everybody is laughing at you

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't think the CIA is behind it because it wasn't a spectacular failure like everything else they do

Like if this was a CIA op moise would be alive and they would have been arrested while wearing Langley tshirts

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Crosspost from the Epstein thread: a TrueAnon podcast from earlier this year: https://soundcloud.com/trueanonpod/haiti. As someone with only a vague recollection of how hosed up Haiti's situation is, this was helpful.

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019

R. Mute posted:

you are a profoundly stupid person

R. Mute posted:

and everybody is laughing at you

go back to lurking

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Goon Project: become new president of Haiti

I mean I live in Florida and I'm a terrible DJ so I'm halfway there already

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

bleeding kansas posted:

go back to lurking

i will never log off

clearly, we just missed him with the earthquake machine back in '10 and had to finish the job

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

Goon Project: become new president of Haiti

I mean I live in Florida and I'm a terrible DJ so I'm halfway there already

email Marco Rubio and see if he can hook you up

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Maybe it really was the DEA. Just waltzed up and identified themselves, and assassinated a foreign leader, in the post-Trump era there's no need to pretend anymore.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Chamale posted:

Maybe it really was the DEA. Just waltzed up and identified themselves, and assassinated a foreign leader, in the post-Trump era there's no need to pretend anymore.

It was the ATF actually. There's been a really crazy prank war going on for a while now, and framing another agency for an assassination is really taking it up a notch. Can't wait to see what sort of wacky hijincks the DEA responds with.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

space chandeliers posted:

Crosspost from the Epstein thread: a TrueAnon podcast from earlier this year: https://soundcloud.com/trueanonpod/haiti. As someone with only a vague recollection of how hosed up Haiti's situation is, this was helpful.

I listened to this yesterday and the woman interviewed was convinced that Moise wouldn't last the year due to protest. To me, that suggests that the U.S. would have had interest in preempting his toppling themselves to prevent a popular opposition leader from taking over. Plus it would have been a great way to nip all of the present discontent in the bud.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I keep waiting to be told that this was carried out by Trump or Trump adjacent people who think he is still president

terminal brain poisoning

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Azathoth posted:

The US prefers the following from foreign governments, in order:

1. A stable government friendly to US interests that can be relied upon to act how the US wants with minimal intervention.
2. An unstable government generally friendly to US interests but which requires prodding, threats, bribes, leadership changes, etc. to act how the US wants.
3. No government at all, just complete anarchy, refugees, starvation, etc.
4. A government even marginally hostile to US interests.

The US is completely fine with option 3 so long as it prevents option 4. They'd definitely prefer to option 2 but they're more than willing to take out anyone who isn't useful and devolve down to 3, because they know they can keep a country there indefinitely.

That said, I'm not convinced this was anything more than an internal thing, but pretending that the US will not completely destroy a country over and over and over rather than tolerate even the slightest hostility towards US interests is ahistorical and deeply naive.

a good post, I feel like it's important to also note that "US Interests" can and will change suddenly and with no warning whatsoever

one of the warmonger all-stars might get a wild hair up his rear end and welp guess your entire society has to burn now

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 05:49 on Jul 11, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Quotey posted:

haiti is the only country providing reparations for the slave trade. thank u france for holding them accountable

Wait what?

bedpan posted:

I keep waiting to be told that this was carried out by Trump or Trump adjacent people who think he is still president

terminal brain poisoning

Turns out lead poisoning is communicable

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Jul 11, 2021

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

It was Cuba committing the perfect assassination of a capitalist puppet because no one would expect anyone but the capitalists to be behind it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kim jong un has gone too far

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/web_rant/status/1413980830876061698

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

quote:

After the Haitians gained independence from French colonial rule in the Haitian Revolution of 1804, the French returned in 1825 and demanded that the newly independent country pay the French government and French slaveholders the modern equivalent of US$21 billion for claiming slaveowner's property and the land that they had turned into profitable sugar and coffee-producing plantations. This independence debt was financed by French banks and the American Citibank, and finally paid off in 1947.

Later, the corrupt Duvalier dynasty added to the country's debts, and is believed to have used the money to expand their power and for their personal benefits. In the early 21st century, and especially after the devastating earthquake in 2010, the World Bank and some other governments forgave the remaining parts of Haiti's debts. France forgave a more recent loan with a balance of US$77 million, but has refused to consider repaying the independence debt.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's what I was afraid of

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
AoC, yet another victim of communism :(

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I assume a reference to the reparations they had to pay France for their independence although I believe that ended mid-20th century

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

While I don’t think this was the CIA, since Moise was already a US puppet, the dude was roundly hated by most of Haiti, and because he was refusing to step down, was risking fomenting an actual revolution against him.

I think this was some local oligarchs who wanted to go back to the kayfabe of democracy, because that acts as the most effective way to take actual revolutionary sentiment and destroy it.

Though it likely had the state department’s blessing since they know the successor will be another puppet.

Not like the US hasn’t interfered in Haiti’s business for every year of its existence or anything.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

CleverHans posted:

Alright, didn't realize Aristide was only 17 years ago.
The rest of my analysis stands.

you dumbass

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

While I don’t think this was the CIA, since Moise was already a US puppet, the dude was roundly hated by most of Haiti, and because he was refusing to step down, was risking fomenting an actual revolution against him.

I think this was some local oligarchs who wanted to go back to the kayfabe of democracy, because that acts as the most effective way to take actual revolutionary sentiment and destroy it.

Though it likely had the state department’s blessing since they know the successor will be another puppet.

Not like the US hasn’t interfered in Haiti’s business for every year of its existence or anything.

easily the most likely scenario

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

don't be afraid to be wrong, it's how we learn

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

is the miami herald, like, a real newspaper that does journalism? they seem to pop up a lot in big stories like this, i thought they'd stopped doing that sort of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the miami herald is indeed a real paper that does real journalism. because of the large numbers of haitians in florida they do some of the only regular english-language reporting on haiti that isn't from wire services.