Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Atrocious Joe posted:

email Marco Rubio and see if he can hook you up

Rubio will never help you unless you work for the sugar industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"The french returned" aka King Charles X, in power thanks to the victory of the European coalition against Napoleon before invading Algeria and starting the rush toward Africa. FYI that money allowed people like Alexandre de Gobineau to live lavishly and write his theories on Aryanism. So many of the same people who owned plantations in Haiti were able to reinvest massively in colonial ventures.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

is the miami herald, like, a real newspaper that does journalism? they seem to pop up a lot in big stories like this, i thought they'd stopped doing that sort of thing

they had a reporter on the Epstein story and I believe broke the story about his BS legal deal

they also publish a story every month about how Cuba is about to become capitalist any day now

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Atrocious Joe posted:

they had a reporter on the Epstein story and I believe broke the story about his BS legal deal

they also publish a story every month about how Cuba is about to become capitalist any day now

of course no big newspaper is going to be fully independent, but the Miami Herald does seem to do a lot of genuinely impressive journalism considering the day and age

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/madanboukman/status/1414235247332450305?s=20

huh

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

this coming from one of those obama alums who never seem to loving go away lends weight to the idea that this wasn't orchestrated by the state department so much as given the nod by the institutional forces within to one of the political aspirants believing they had something to gain in deposing moise. of course instead of quietly handling a wannabe strongman overstaying his term you now have a country shocked into a state of political limbo with at least a couple of our fingerprints over it but no one in a position to cast blame loudly enough for it to matter

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/miamiherald/status/1414338729574023172?s=21

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Haiti is and has been ours. Cuba is next.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

lmao

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I am starting to believe that the "replace someone under Moise" plan was okayed by the US and someone was so loving against it they had the president murdered to prevent that poo poo and force an election. And we have two prime ministers claimant now. It would also explain why it looks so rushed.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 08:12 on Jul 12, 2021

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Nonsense posted:

Haiti is and has been ours. Cuba is next.

cuba has resisted american imperialism and capitalist encirclement for multiple generations, its not going to change because <300 people attended a completely incoherent-in-message protest

people are definitely Recency Biasing this. this is not the moment a country that has done what cuba has suddenly breaks under the yoke, i'm reasonably sure

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 08:37 on Jul 12, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

love watching american liberals casually chat about the forcible, violent overthrow of neighboring societies because it's for their own good and no better things aren't possible (because we'll have them assassinated beforehand just to make sure)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

love watching american liberals casually chat about the forcible, violent overthrow of neighboring societies because it's for their own good and no better things aren't possible (because we'll have them assassinated beforehand just to make sure)
"But this is for their own good!" *Murder black people*
Actually it's for some American capitalist's good.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

look, this current puppet, he's outlived his usefulness. after he's in a bag, we've got several promising daytime tv actors lined up with good brand recognition among Haitian military aged males to step in and right the ship.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

cuba has resisted american imperialism and capitalist encirclement for multiple generations, its not going to change because <300 people attended a completely incoherent-in-message protest

people are definitely Recency Biasing this. this is not the moment a country that has done what cuba has suddenly breaks under the yoke, i'm reasonably sure

Fidel Castro lived until old age and that's all you need to know about US attempts on Cuba

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Fidel Castro lived until old age and that's all you need to know about US attempts on Cuba

exactly, lol

tbh the people freaking out about this being the end of cuba do not give the people of cuba nearly enough loving credit. theyve built and hung on to what theyve had in at least some form for over 60 years while being located less than 100mi off shore from their greatest enemy

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 08:50 on Jul 12, 2021

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

exactly, lol

tbh the people freaking out about this being the end of cuba do not give the people of cuba nearly enough loving credit. theyve built and hung on to what theyve had in at least some form for over 60 years while being located less than 100mi off shore from their greatest enemy

I love that moment in Fog of War when MacNamara finally gets to ask the Cubans if they'd have nuked us if we'd invaded during the Missile Crisis and the answer was, "Hell yeah we would've, you stupid dingus, and you'd have done the same in our position."

Watching the architect of the Vietnam War bug out over the implications had me cackling like a hyena.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/1414706453840080900?s=20

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Erik Prince getting Biden involved in Haitian civil strife right before elections is something.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

lmao

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

weird huh

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

one might even say it's a real shock

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Talk about not sending our best

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

there was no fuckup, they want you to know exactly who did it

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019
i dunno, still not convinced its cia or even anything that got an unofficial nod from the feds. the dea told them to surrender. theres a lot of private military contractors for hire

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1414747087334526978?s=20

in venezuela the feds put a bounty on maduros head and some contractor allegedly just went for the cash. motivations in haiti seem way more murky to me right now

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/madanboukman/status/1414676936647921665?s=20

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

guess that explains why they were able to shoot up the place

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i wonder what kind of exit the conspirators promised the dudes who actually did the murdering, because lol they got absolutely hung out. no way those guys knew who was really paying them.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Yossarian-22 posted:

I guess the president's term expired this year so it would make sense for people in high places to kill the dude and prevent further instability. That and he probably had information that would lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

exactly, lol

My one fear is an actual US invasion of Cuba. Bay of Pigs 2 would be hilarious, but US naval and aerial bombardment could really harm the people and infrastructure of Cuba.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JneO-MlccQ

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

i wonder what kind of exit the conspirators promised the dudes who actually did the murdering, because lol they got absolutely hung out. no way those guys knew who was really paying them.

Given that a bunch of them were caught just hanging out in a house down the street, and they met a resistance of up to three guys who didn’t even try to stop them, they might not have even been told it was the president they were murdering.

Or they were just dumb as poo poo, or both.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

wouldn't that be pretty common for mercenary types?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Given that a bunch of them were caught just hanging out in a house down the street, and they met a resistance of up to three guys who didn’t even try to stop them, they might not have even been told it was the president they were murdering.
goddamn, you’re probably right. i didn’t consider that, but it’s doubtful they would have known or recognized the guy.

my guess is probably inside-ish job of powerful haitians paid for the mercenaries to get rid of some nameless rich rear end in a top hat. picking a bunch of foreign guys as fall guys gives the conspirators some level of deniability too

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
going by what i know about the cia, just grabbing some randos and having them try to murder a guy for no appreciable reason beyond spite, no follow up plan, and no real intel or training is entirely in line with their M.O.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Looks like they had a patsy all lined up
https://twitter.com/madanboukman/status/1414983355582537730

Also lol
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1414735853402968064

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

getting the band back together scenario where i recruit every snitch and squealer for my assassination plot

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

There is always tons of patsies lining up somewhere for every target possible but that's some powerful neighbor's quote here.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

goddamn, you’re probably right. i didn’t consider that, but it’s doubtful they would have known or recognized the guy.

my guess is probably inside-ish job of powerful haitians paid for the mercenaries to get rid of some nameless rich rear end in a top hat. picking a bunch of foreign guys as fall guys gives the conspirators some level of deniability too

Also the (apparent) fact that none of these guys spoke French leads some credence to the possibility that they were unwitting patsies-for-hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If you're a mercenary you have to at least google the guy you're killing I mean god drat