Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

muscles like this! posted:

Big laughs at the fast food sketch with the lady instantly doing exactly the same thing when she found out it was a pay it forward.

Watched half so far but this one sketch (and that moment in particular) was about 6x as funny as all the rest for me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I dunno if this show bears much deep digging but it seems like the formula tends to be "Wacky character (usually Tim) exhibits outrageous personality traits that make the straight-men uncomfortable for n minutes of increasing cringiness; then there is a volta upon which it is revealed that Tim/wacky character is actually playing according to internally consistent, understandable rules and the other characters' eyes are opened in understanding".

Whereas Tim & Eric and Mr. Show were way more eclectic and went out of their way to vary genres and styles as wildly as possible, ITYSL seems to prefer to keep to this pattern and find every possible variation on it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

the METALOID MANIAC is some excellent TV Funhouse level stuff too, but even more itchy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love the little pimp

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I love that the Driving "Crooner" archetype he's using is like, W.C. Fields or something

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was pretty glad that one cut away right at the moment it did

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's funny how many of the sketches revolve around an office culture / HR / appropriate workplace dynamics kind of vibe. I always sort of assume people in entertainment never had a regular-joe office job (making Mike Judge and Scott Adams the exceptions to the rule) but I guess Tim must have

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Weedle posted:

the mac os 6 graphics really elevate it for me for some reason. that sketch reminded me a lot of playing farm rpg at work when i'm supposed to be answering emails

Yes, that and the fact that it's on a modern widescreen flat LCD and maxing out the screen real estate. In some alternate universe this is peak UI design

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Loving the use of Chicago font on the menu screen, another weird nod to the 80s-era Mac aesthetic

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's interesting seeing how crisply these sketches end and switch to another thing, whereas a lot of these other examples did wacky transition stuff — Monty Python, Tim & Eric, they had sketches blend into each other and just veer and flail off into surrealism and weird bridge/link material as soon as things stopped being funny or sustainable. ITYSL is a lot more strictly defined in its structure (not unlike SNL for that matter)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, I was going to mention Mr. Show but I couldn't remember how the transitions worked. Time to rewatch that too I guess

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I enjoy ITYSL a lot but my mind is definitely way more tuned to the Tim & Eric style. I like that it's so unformulaic, always keeping you on your toes, never treading the same ground twice, and everything flowing into everything else without obvious boundaries.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When people talk about a comedy "high wire act" Tim's whole last ten years is like the prime exemplar

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The jazz hipster character was some primo material.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Really the premise of the show just as-is feels like a sketch comedy bit. Like *series of extremely obvious clues about Tom Hanks* "My guess is... TOM HANKS" *curtain slowly opens revealing TOM HANKS* — is a Tim & Eric sketch, and then the lady flips out and runs shrieking into her room turning it into an ITYSL sketch

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*tweets* I need this on a yard sign

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think my favorite single moment in ITYSL might be when the kids in the driver's ed class suddenly understand in a flash what the entire deal is with the lady in the video and her tables.

Well no, "55 burgers" might still edge it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s a little bit Steve Brule