Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

UltraShame posted:

holy loving poo poo this show is amazing

but so transient

It’s a cosmic gumbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I love when the other players match his irrational anger.

"SHUT THE gently caress UP DOUG, YOU loving SKUNK!"

"YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP, MIKE. I'LL KILL YOU!"

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

One skit I haven't seen referenced in this thread so far which I absolutely love is Scrooge vs. the Bone Brigade from S1. Makes a good pairing for the Santa action movie from S2.
This is the one that doesn’t really land for me, though I might end up liking it more when I binge through the show another six or seven times.

The thing is that “awkward and interminable” is the guiding principle of the show, so it can be unclear why and when something doesn’t exactly work.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
https://twitter.com/weirdscotland/status/1414725668139683841?s=21

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

FalconImpala posted:

I know this is the wrong place to complain but I really want this show to click for me. I love Tim & Eric, I really love Nathan for You, and I'm glad that Netflix is trying non-sitcom comedy. The setups have me laughing pretty hard, but somehow, I'm cold after the first 60 seconds. I can kind of go, "I know where this is going: the other characters in the scene will realistically point out the silly premise, Tim Robinson will go into angry denial, they will point out he is being unreasonable, and he will deny more until he is forcibly removed." It's like an improv scene with every actor saying "no".
I would just suck it up and say I have a different sense of humor, but I've never heard this much lavish praise in the media for any comedy show, ever. My friends are quoting it like it's Borat and 2007. Now I'm wondering if I'm super out of touch, or looking at it from the wrong angle?
Like the Ghost Tour bit, I had enough clues in the first 45 seconds to realize that it would be the same joke for the next 5 minutes, until the other characters get tired of it and kick him out. The Focus Group guy is the closest thing to my sense of humor because everyone hated Paul instead, when I expected it to be the same formula... but then the later sketches go back to the formula.
I'm not sure what it is. Maybe I'm used to having more suspension of disbelief for comedy? There's some long articles about the "political implications" of a guy who's denying something over and over until he gets what he deserves. Maybe people are just laughing at the idea of that guy finally getting owned.

I love the show, but these are all fair criticisms. What really sells it for me is the performances from basically everyone.

fawning deference posted:

Tim's delivery and expressions are just the fuckin' best.

Brian with the hat, his "what the hell." And the baby sketch, "I used to be a fffffuckin pieceofshit" under his breath. Unbelievable
"That's your voice? I've never talked to him, his voice is wiiiildly high."

"Random!" from the hot dog sketch in season 1.

Every reaction shot from every character in the Driver's Ed sketch is amazing.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

S3 needs a sketch where they interact directly, our minds might not be able to take it.

(Do they in the 'santa came early' sketch? I'm blanking. I know they don't in the shark tank and tables sketches at least).

Yes, at the end.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

space uncle posted:

I really enjoyed the random pathos in Season 2:
- Ghost tour guys ride home with religious mom
- sleepover guy loves his wife
- Bob Odenkirk tearing up

Everyone’s focusing on the angry/absurd/yelling bits of the show but when they contrast so sharply with these sad (touching?) little vignettes it’s extremely funny.
That’s kind of where the sloppy steaks sketch winds up.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I love Tim’s reaction to the first question “what’s her job?” Because it isn’t technically a question about tables.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What are some sketches you didn’t appreciate at first but now consider top tier? Definitely sloppy steaks, on first watch it felt too random especially the end scene. Then on rewatch I paid attention and my favorite part is either “live for New Years Eve!” or the grandpa admitting to being a piece of poo poo.

Another is Dylan’s Burger. Especially how long the students continue respecting him until he goes too far, and it nails the ending.
The Day That Robert Palins Murdered Me.

I mean it was funny and awkward and goofy at first, but on rewatch it's the ending that kills me.

“Billy as in me, or Billy as in him?”
“Your name’s Billy too?”
“No, that’s why I’m so loving confused!”

So many of the sketches end on a kind of. perpendicular.

"His voice is wildly high."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Every single reaction shot in the tables sketch is pure gold.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Tim Heidecker is so good in that sketch. He's very good at playing a specific kind of insufferable dickhead.

Where be your nutcracker?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Phenotype posted:

ok I feel like I must be missing something

why is it the driving "crooner"? Doesn't that imply that he's singing? and there's a cigar on the window, but it looks like he's pretending to play a trumpet or something? shouldn't it be a trumpet decal on the window?

He's ashing the cigar so it doesn't look fake.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Some of the sketch endings are abrupt non-sequiturs that make it feel like they didn't really know how to end it, and it's always hilarious.

"His voice is wildly high."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Ror posted:

The ending of the ghost tour sketch is incredible too though, just this little slice of realistic closure after an absurd moment and it’s so soft and slow. I feel like there a couple that do that but I can’t think of what the others are.

Tim dying at the end of the birthday party/slice of tp sketch.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail quotes can gently caress off though. Super Troopers can stay for meow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O95kvMKPeQ