Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
STREET FIGHT 72 69.90%
MIXED TAG 13 12.62%
IDOLO DEBUTS 7 6.80%
STRAP MATCH 5 4.85%
TRIOS 6 5.83%
Total: 103 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

I Before E posted:

After that Hangman/Kenny bit I'm willing to admit I was wrong to think they were going to play things out a little longer to get Hangman to the point where it makes sense for him to win the title, he's in that high gear right now.

I had the same thought. He likely won't lose, but if he loses here, it needs to be an incredibly quick bounce back into a win. We're in the endgame of his hero's journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I'm kinda bummed that the Factory story seemingly has 0 give-and-take or resolution, tbh. The Codyverse continues to be its own weird, disconnected part of AEW.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Cavauro posted:

one thing's for sure. makalaki black is on the same level as first time pro wrestler anthony ogogo

I legit think they pulled a trigger on Ogogo too soon, and that's why he felt like Cody food instead of a legit threat. He should've at least punched all of the Nightmare Family's tummies before trying to punch Cody's.

Their match honestly kinda owned, though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
:toxx: It's week 10 of my Toxx fulfillment! And this time I'm going to try extra hard to alleviate confusion with a recap. If you're not interested, just ctrl+f to "finished" to skip over.

On Double or Nothing, I toxxed that Brian Danielson, the American Dragon, would return to mainstream US wrestling. And that, if he didn't, I'd toxx myself until he did. For 10 weeks now I've made the wrong guess, and therefore I've had to go from one American Dragon to the other. In this case, I've had to watch, and review, episodes of Disney TV show American Dragon, Jake Long, until Danielson makes up his mind one way or another. Until he shows up on either AEW or WWE, I'm working through this show one episode at a time. Today we're on Episode 10, The Bodyguard, because somehow the most wrestling-obssessed guy in the industry's kept himself away for a double digit number of weeks.

~~~~

This episode's starting off with some good old fashioned ogre hockey. Which I'm pretty sure is just flinging rocks at each other on roller skates. It ain't Blood Bowl, but I'll take it! Unfortunately, Jake spent a bit too much time there, because he's dozing off right before a test that makes up 50% of his grade. That's right, the school plots are back in force this episode, but with them tying this stuff more into the overarching series I don't know if I'll mind as much as I did before.

We actually get a callback this episode! Way back in the second episode, Jake was trying to find a girl to take to the prom, and two of them were a pair of twin oracles. They're back this episode, and Jake's tasked with being their bodyguard so a goblin crime boss can't . . . kidnap them and use them for sports betting. Seriously, I love how mundane most of these villains are. There's something oddly charming about all of these magical creatures just trying to hustle money in the middle of NYC.

We've got the episode's conflict now. Jake's bodyguard duties and his upcoming test are both happening on the same day, so he's gonna have to juggle both lives. Is he going to be better at this after seeing the gravity of magical world situations in the past few episodes? We'll see!

The villains' plan is somewhat questionable, considering he's trying to have a bunch of neon blue goblins blend in with Jake's classmates. But Jake and his friends are too busy trying to keep the oracles' visions in check to pay much attention to them. One only speaks good omens, one only speaks bad ones, and both are magically compelled to say every vision they have. That sure makes them popular at parties.

Bodyguarding them would probably be easier of the trio wasn't a little distracted. Jake's trying to study for his mythology test (which is very hard when his teacher's a total crackpot that's wrong about everything), and his friends are trying to prove the oracles predictions are wrong to show there's some sort of free will in the universe. This is totally for the purposes of philosophy, and not because Jake's friends really, really want to disprove the fact that they're destined to get married.

The show actually explains why the bad luck oracle's so sunny and the good luck oracle's so gloomy, too. Turns out when you see nothing but good things, its easy to become jaded by them, while when you see nothing but bad things, every pleasure's that little bit more special. Its a pretty easy conclusion to draw, but its nice that they at least characterize what were once a one-off gag duo. We're grading on a curve here. This is a kid's show, after all. But it's still a welcome effort for a mid-2000s kids show!

Every time a transformation sequence starts up, I'm terrified we'll get the terrible CGI sequence from the first episode. Luckily, we've abandoned it. Instead, we just get a fun back alley brawl between Jake and a mob of goblins, with the oracles' predictions helping him get an edge on the fight. Not bad! Unfortunately, one of those predictions is an answer for his history test, and now the temptation to cheat's setting in. Jake's got a one-track mind sometimes, and now it's focused on getting more answers from the oracle twins.

Okay, he's also using them to get brownie points with his crush, Rose. It's actually working, but with his mind running on the two wrong tracks, I get the feeling he's going to get these girls kidnapped sooner or later.

Surprisingly, though, that isn't how it happens. Instead, they just get kidnapped during his test, which he couldn't help having to take. He makes the choice to rescue them instead, even when the teacher threatens to fail him for walking out, and now it's off to the Ogre Bowl. I'm honestly surprised. Usually you'd expect the Standard Kid's Show Moral here, but instead of a lesson about cheating we're getting a brawl at the big game. In fact, it's paying attention to the oracle twins' predictions that lets Jake find the two!

Oh, there's the moral. Jake calls the villains out for just using the girls for sports betting, then puts two and two together to realize that's exactly what he was doing. With the epiphany out of the way, it's time for some ogre hockey! He's a little nervous heading into the fight, considering the twins warned him he'd get hit by a boulder going at 180 miles an hour . . . but the future being set in stone doesn't mean it plays out the way you expect. Jake's already flying at 179 miles an hour, so the boulder just kinda softly bonks him. And his friends literally "tie the knot" in the form of a shoelace, so they're not getting married after all! Literal predictions sure are a pain, huh?

With that, all's well that ends well. The oracles are safely returned home, Jake's content with letting the future play out instead of farming for predictions, and he's encouraged to keep his outlook even after finding out the dark, horrible secret of Rose. Honestly, far as ending gags go, that's the smartest one yet. For anyone seeing the episode in the vacuum, its a cute little ending gag. For anyone watching previous episodes, it's a warning as to her secret identity as the Huntmaster's protege.

This was a pretty alright episode. It's always a treat seeing the real and magical worlds intersect, and if you're going to shoehorn Jake's friends into an episode, having them spend an episode debating the nature of causality and free will is at least pretty novel for a kid's show. We haven't gotten any cool new monster designs in a while (seriously, the Dark Dragon is so disappointing looking), but the fact that the show's willing to bring back gags from earlier episodes and flesh them out is pretty nice. Its interesting seeing what might be some of the roots of continuity-based animation, which felt kind of dead around this era. I know there were shows (especially comic book tie-ins) that pushed continuity back in the 80s, but it really felt like that kind of style had died by this point in the 2000s. Even other action comedies felt pretty self contained despite their attempts at drama. Its interesting seeing what might well be one of the unsung progenitors of the modern style, even if I know comic books and anime were probably the real long term influence.

~~~~

And with that, we're finished! Another week safe from the mods.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Thank goodness. Diamante honestly deserves a better shot than being shackled to Ivelisse.