Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
STREET FIGHT 72 69.90%
MIXED TAG 13 12.62%
IDOLO DEBUTS 7 6.80%
STRAP MATCH 5 4.85%
TRIOS 6 5.83%
Total: 103 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dynamite thoughts as I watch

- Boy that's a big crowd after getting used to Covid times!
- Cody Rhodes? Of all the things they could be doing, of all the programs they could be advancing, we're starting with CODY RHODES? Who hasn't even been on Dynamite since... I don't even remember when? And is basically just passively treading water in his 52 year long feud with Q.T. Marshal.
- Did the lights go out for a moment because lol Miami or because something's going to happen?
- Q.T. diamond cutters Cody off the top rope with Cody all bundled up in the strap, Arn Anderson calmly leans in to talk to Cody immediately afterwards. Way to sell the spot, Arn.
- A couple of neat spots but man that match did NOTHING for me.

- PERSONA 5 DOESN'T SUCK SOMEONE HOLD ME BACK!

- Shawn Spears found a second chair dimension... but really needs to learn how to look slightly past the camera :v:

- Kenny still rocking the 70s hockey facial hair but now with a V-neck and some uncomfortably tight Zubaz and the dirtiest boots I've seen in a while, god drat that's a look
- Boy it's fun to hear a big crowd during Dynamite again
- "Geriatric Tommy Bahama model", loving lol
- "You and your weird uncle", god drat Evil Uno is also very good on the mic
- Man this crowd is hot, and Kenny is playing off them so well
- HANGMAN! THAT POP! HANGMAN'S HERE TO SAVE HIS FRIEND! YESSSS!
- Man this pace is too loving tight. Immediately cutting to a JR interview segment, just loving let Hangman glower in the ring for a while.

- I am excited for 5/6 of this trios match.
- lol even Jake Hager is getting huge pops from this crowd
- These are some nice loving chops, gotta love it when even the nosebleeds can hear it

- I love it when they talk about NJPW poo poo. It kinda makes the world of AEW seem bigger, because unlike the WWE they're not pretending wrestling only exists within their organiation. Oh and an IWGP title defense out of nowhere. RAAAAAD!

- Holy gently caress this crowd singing Judas. Jericho looking like he's holding back tears. God drat that's got to be cool.
- Lol and some loving idiot jumping in the ring to get his rear end beat (not MJF)
- Jesus it's fun to see these guys reacting to the crowd and playing up to them. I've missed live crowds so much.

- "This is basically all natural", says Britt Baker with bright red eyelids :lol:
- Jesus loving christ Britt, that Saudi-Arabia line :aaaaa:

- I am straight, but god drat Andrade is a good looking man
- Holy loving poo poo that suplex / back spin series from Andrade :aaa:
- That was a hot loving match (with a weirdly soft finish) and Andrade looks great. I think this was the first time I've seen him wrestle and I liked it.
- Imagine being Vince and letting this guy go because he was too Mexican

- OK I guess the lights keep going out for story reasons
- OH poo poo IT'S THE MAN OF 5000 PAGES OF DEMON GIMMICK IDEAS!
- YES KICK CODY'S HEAD OFF
- Malachi Black? OK! Well I guess Cody's moving on from the interminable Q.T. Marshal "feud"

- Aww, Statlander also wearing a denim jacket and Ray-bans :3:
- lol, Bunny trying to suppress a smile on her way back to the corner. Even his opponents can't help but like Orange Cassidy!
- Holy poo poo that stunner counter from OC :o:
- Man, the Bunny is pretty good and Statlander of course is insanely good
- That match was a lot of fun!

- Holy gently caress Penta is O V E R. CERO MIEDO!
- Jorts and cigarette ear rings, loving god damnit Bucks :lol:
- "The rough & tumble streets of Rancho Cucamonga"
- DESTROYER OFF THE RING APRON
- lol 450 on the ref
- lol that spray spot
- THUMBTACKS
- that was such an overbooked mess but a very fun match

Very good Dynamite in all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The people of Saudi Arabia (presumably?) are upset that innocent Saudi Arabia gets getting picked on :(

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

But holy loving poo poo that was a good Dynamite. AEW are on fire right now and it's so god drat nice to feel good and excited about wrestling again.

This was also a bad time to notice that AEW have an official global store now (http://global.shopaew.com) meaning I can order shirts without getting murdered on postage fees and import duties. Sadly they don't have Britt Baker's Main Event Rolemodel shirt :(

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Davros1 posted:

"Wrestling NEVER involves politics"

It's doubly hilarious because the only reason the WWE even went to Saudi Arabia was because the House of Saud paid them insane amounts of money in a weird sportswashing effort. So, you know... Politics?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also, some people were kinda worried that Britt might be looking to jump to the WWE at some point in the future. Well, I don't think they have to be worried after that promo anymore, because that bridge is only slightly more burned than Vince was.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

In case people missed it (BECAUSE I SURE AS HELL DID) here are Orange Cassidy and Kris Statlander having a pretty drat good intergender match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtdYdhrLXHM

Pull the trigger, Tony. Pull it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lamuella posted:

Part of this is a character thing. In the fiction of the show would the character of Excalibur be following the Instagram of recently released psychiatric patient Malaki Black?

Yeah but... that's not really how AEW operate. They don't really follow kayfabe 100% like some other feds have done over the years. Like they don't literally pretend Kris Statlander is a non-human alien lifeform from the Andromeda Galaxy. They acknowledge gimmicks, but also that these are real people with histories and lives.

Would Excalibur be following the IG of a random mental institute patient named Malachi Black? Not really. Would he be following the IG of a wrestler who is a mental patient named Malachi Black? Yes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lid posted:

next week

Like... you're clowning, but honestly the guy has such natural style and such good looks that he's pulling it off.

And I'm starting to question just how straight I actually am.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

People who thought that should read any interview Britt’s given over the last year, she’s effusive over AEW and how important maintaining her dental practice is to her.

In general I don't think we have to worry about people jumping from AEW to the WWE. One is by all accounts a good place to work with owners who understand that there's a world beyond their front door and who are willing to work with you to find out what kind of routine is best for you.

And the other is a horrible Trumpian hellscape led by a senile old man and his tight-knit group of hangers-on and slightly less/more Trumpian family members, which has burned a large percentage of your current coworkers, who are very willing to tell you just how awful it can be up north.

When it gets really interesting is after Vince kicks the bucket / kicked out of the door and someone with more sense takes over and starts running the company like, you know, a company instead of a carny sideshow.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rarity posted:

Someone will eventually jump over to take the pay cheque but I doubt it'll be anyone too essential

Sure, but as you say, I don't think it will be anyone most people care too much about. With the possible exception of some cult favourite like Fuego who they might sign out of spite to sit in catering just so AEW can't have them.

I can't see anyone that's regularly on programming getting a better deal in the WWE, with the possible exception of megastars like Kenny Omega, who probably don't want to sign with them for non-monetary reasons.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

coconono posted:

tiny paul voice: black people are sc-sc--sc-scwary

Now come on, be fair. There's also asian people doing endless 1950s inscrutable backstabber gimmicks.

(Yes I am still legit upset that they took Kairi Sane, an insanely over face, and made her into a stereotypical cowardly backstabber, like Vince still working through some bizarre loving Pearl Harbor trauma)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

coconono posted:

and kicks.

As long as they're not slapping their legs while doing it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh for sure, and I'm not saying Kairi needed to stay a face. She could have been a fun heel, but instead she got turned into a stereotype because Vince literally can't understand any other characters for Asian people (not just Japanese people, any Asians).

(like basically imagine a bald guy stroking a very long fu manchu moustache with an inscrutable expression while also secretly holding a poisoned dagger behind his back, and that's all Asian characters if you ask Vince)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 9, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is this more Malaki Black stuff

Yeah we're at about page 30 of 5000+. It gets weirder from here on in, and you'll have to subscribe to his wife's Twitch channel.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK, will Ethan Page first yeet Darby and then stuff him in the coffin

OR

stuff him in the coffin, then yeet the coffin?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nick Jr. Face posted:

He will be yeeted into the coffin

Two point or three point range?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Also, to be clear, I'm not mad or anything that Julia's gotten this opportunity and understand the sequence of events that got her in with Varsity Blondes, just kind of surprised that they see that level of upside with her, which is based only on what I've seen on Dark/Dynamite. I am at a "Huh, weird, ok" level with this.

Nothing weird about it. She's still obviously very green, but already looks decent in the ring. Even beyond that, she's crazy over, has a great look (and I don't just mean she's very pretty, she's got that ... I dunno, X factor) has a good eye for putting on a show and is working well with the Varsity Blonds.

It's easy to see a huge upside here, and it makes total sense to lock her down before Vince spite-signs her to catering or something.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Dante got a huge pop cause he's from here but the place exploded for Sonny.

That's so awesome. I'm not going to pretend wrestling is still a hotbed of enlightened attitudes, but it's so great to see people get to be themselves and be accepted and get over. We don't have to go back too many years (and we don't have to jump too many modern feds) to be in a place where openly gay, trans or genderfluid wrestlers would be an impossibility.

And of course Sonny's awesome in the ring as well.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shard posted:

^^^^^^^^
Edit: poo poo beaten like a steel drum

loving sick

https://www.shopaew.com/shida-vs-ca...until-7-21.html

Also available in the Global store!