Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cast was easily the best part of the movie, plot was generic Marvel and nothing special. Enjoyable enough afternoon watch.

Red Guardian spin-off when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I liked how this was the opposite of most MCU movies for me in that I felt like it started out really weak and then got much better as it went on, dug it overall.

I do think the usefulness of the red mist was a copout though like someone posted earlier they should have to like slam one of those into each individual widow's face lol, also Taskmaster action-wise was totally wasted

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I thought it was hysterical that they put the black widow symbol on her grave. :lol:

I thought it was okay.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
After thinking about the movie some more, I think it has a villain problem in that none of the villains seem notable or interesting. That's been an issue in most MCU movies but you really feel the absence of compelling villains here. Everything is carried by protagonists and their interpersonal dynamics (which I'll admit are really good and strong). Like, I can't remember like a single thing about the main villain, and Taskmaster/the other widows are by definition blank slates. Not every movie needs well-characterized antagonists to be good, but this one might've been improved by some more exploration. Maybe that's why so many spy movies have antagonists who are traitors since it allows more interaction between them and protagonists. :shrug:

kazil posted:

Whatever you think about the film, that was a really awful cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I was laughing at how dumb that whole cover was lol. I usually expect that sort of thing in cliche movie trailers, not in the movies themselves.

e: I'll clarify that I felt the cover was fine in quality, just badly misplaced and trite for a movie's opening credits

HOMOEROTIC JESUS fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 10, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Miching Mallecho posted:

I thought it was hysterical that they put the black widow symbol on her grave. :lol:

I thought it was okay.

In comics almost any time a hero dies and there's a tombstone they do that and it cracks me up every time

Also regarding the opening cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit was genuinely impressed at how much scent played a major role in the film's climax lol

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

teagone posted:

No. After WandaVision, I really had no interest in the Disney+ MCU series endeavors.

Please give Loki a shot. It's MILES better than the other two serieses in my mind. The first two were just kind of neat MCU stuff for meganerds like me, but I feel like Loki is legitimately good in nearly every way. Sorry, back to BW.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Are they still making Marvel movies?

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Glottis posted:

Please give Loki a shot. It's MILES better than the other two serieses in my mind. The first two were just kind of neat MCU stuff for meganerds like me, but I feel like Loki is legitimately good in nearly every way. Sorry, back to BW.

Loki is very good and worth watching, definitely better than the other two shows (though I'd recommend watching Carl Lumbly's scenes in TFAWS if nothing else, just because I love the actor)

HOMOEROTIC JESUS fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 10, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

porfiria posted:

Are they still making Marvel movies?

They are, and one just came out.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Man, the jokes and gags in this seemed like they were fighting against the natural abilities of Florence Pugh and, to a lesser extent, David Harbour. They're both really good and do a good job with their characters but they feel really hampered at certain points.

Why did there need to be a reprise of that "cool way to die" line? It was perfectly fine and funny on its own.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

LesterGroans posted:

Man, the jokes and gags in this seemed like they were fighting against the natural abilities of Florence Pugh and, to a lesser extent, David Harbour. They're both really good and do a good job with their characters but they feel really hampered at certain points.

Why did there need to be a reprise of that "cool way to die" line? It was perfectly fine and funny on its own.

I get what you're saying but I was ok with it because it was sorta muttered as an "ugh" thing and it didn't pause too long for laughter, aka not Joss style. Also I just kinda liked the character and enjoyed the idea that in any life threatening situation she was assessing how cool of a death it'd be

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Glottis posted:

I get what you're saying but I was ok with it because it was sorta muttered as an "ugh" thing and it didn't pause too long for laughter, aka not Joss style. Also I just kinda liked the character and enjoyed the idea that in any life threatening situation she was assessing how cool of a death it'd be

I agree with this in the sense that Pugh was great. I think I just got annoyed generally by the limitations these kinds of movies can have on characters and performances.

The humour around the awkwardness of the family unit worked well, in my opinion, so it was always a little lame when it seemed to revert back to the normal MCU comedy house style.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I don't regret seeing this, but I also don't think it's an immediate need to see for Marvel fans that might still be hesitant about theaters.

I can appreciate how it's kind of forced into this role, but the film felt like Back to the Future 2 if BttF 2 was filmed and released 2 years after BttF 3.

When the film is focusing on the emotional and family parts or people simply talking to each other, it's a great little Marvel movie. But I personally found the action to be a total drag, generally running too long, with me hoping it would just get the hell out of the way of the actors.

I also wasn't sold on there being yet another SHADOW ORGANIZATION in the Marvel universe without there being any real indication how they'd be kept in check and prevented from totally overrunning everything. I don't think we've ever been given a feel for exactly what the force is that General Ross oversees post-Civil War. Is it big enough to counter threats at that level with both SHIELD and Hydra out of the picture 3 years prior to the start of this movie? Especially a threat like an organization that has several generations of Widows, perfected the total chemical control sometime around 2003ish, has 300 Widows around the world and in important positions, and a floating super-fortress that's able to move around the world and not be detected.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Calling bullshit on Natasha and Yelena being flipped in the car and landing in the subway tunnel and the only injuries they got was Yelena’s cut on her arm. I mean Natasha did tell her to put their seatbelts on beforehand so they were expecting it, but still

Also I liked that Red guardian never really won a fight in the whole movie.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don’t understand why they took the trouble to establish that these people operated as an undercover perfect American family and then just had them talk in English with terrible fake Russian accents the whole movie.

I’d rather they had cast people who actually spoke Russian and leaned in more heavily on subtitles, but if not just have them talk normal English.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I don’t understand why they took the trouble to establish that these people operated as an undercover perfect American family and then just had them talk in English with terrible fake Russian accents the whole movie.

I’d rather they had cast people who actually spoke Russian and leaned in more heavily on subtitles, but if not just have them talk normal English.

Because the movie had to establish them as RUSSIANS who spoke with RUSSIAN accents.

Except for Natasha who's basically an American because she's an Avenger and all Avengers are American - even the Australian Norse Space God.

For my part I liked the Smells Like Teen Spirit cover and thought it fit the scene pretty well.

I also liked that the movie took Whedon's stupid "I'm a monster because my baby-making parts are gone" and used it to let Natasha and Yelena give Red Guardian a TMI Lifetime channel gross-out after he dropped that "time of the month BS" on them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If you want an in universe reason, the only one of them who has continued to spend a lot of time living in America and talking English primarily is Natasha. Milena and Red Guardian were both literally living in Russia since their undercover stuff, and Yelena might simply be trying it out.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't really need a reason for it, it just feels lazy and a bit... disrespectful?. I guess you could consider it a homage to old spy movies (especially given the scene with Natasha watching old Bond movies), but I just found it distracting.

I liked the movie but I think it could've benefited of being shorter so some of its weaker points didn't have as much of a chance to stand out.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Lord_Magmar posted:

If you want an in universe reason, the only one of them who has continued to spend a lot of time living in America and talking English primarily is Natasha. Milena and Red Guardian were both literally living in Russia since their undercover stuff, and Yelena might simply be trying it out.

That's the thought I chose to run with, but yeah fake Russian accents always sound silly. Amusingly, they gave out little prelude comics to Imax viewers and it contains a line about how Natasha doesn't have an accent specifically because she's a spy and chooses to blend in.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Super uneven special effects.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Can’t get over the sheer indestructibility of characters in this. Black Widow falling off a multi story building, ragdolling off of metal and concrete, before landing on her feet unharmed, we had to go back after the film and rewatch giggling.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Considering Scarlett Johansson's real life affiliation with villains, it's very funny that the bad guy of this movie is Harvey Weinstein.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Saw this today and liked it overall although I had to take a huge poo poo during the middle of the movie and I guess I missed The bad guy having a sky fortress? WTF

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hollismason posted:

Saw this today and liked it overall although I had to take a huge poo poo during the middle of the movie and I guess I missed The bad guy having a sky fortress? WTF

Is that supposed to be government funded or did he just build it himself. I didn't see any like russian flags on it lol

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Hollismason posted:

It’s not like you missed any explanation. She just said “prepping for landing” and the dumbass guy said “but we are going up” and then there’s a fortress

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

mcmagic posted:

Is that supposed to be government funded or did he just build it himself. I didn't see any like russian flags on it lol

I would assume it was meant to be equivalent to the Helicarrier made by SHIELD. So possibly government funded, but the villain's entire thing was that he had a global network of money and power that nobody noticed.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I enjoyed the film. I'm a big Florence Pugh fan and her performance was definitely the best part. Third act was underwhelming but the post-credits scene was my favorite in a long time

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Did they ever show the "MARX" part of Red Guardian's "KARL MARX" knuckle tattoos?

I figured they might have edited out the MARX part for the US version because I kept only seeing the KARL part lol

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Did they ever show the "MARX" part of Red Guardian's "KARL MARX" knuckle tattoos?

I figured they might have edited out the MARX part for the US version because I kept only seeing the KARL part lol
They showed the MARX part plenty of times.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Super short: Florence is amazing, the farmhouse segment was top notch, I was only let down by three things a perpetually exploding base, Taskmaster just kind of being defeated just because the movie was over, and a Taskmaster described as being controlled by a chip rescued with a chemical antidote.

I'd watch the Natasha and Yelena road trip assassin show for three movies until Infinity War starts.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
I'm just going to put this out there because it really bugged me. Jet engines really are supposed to suck if you stand right over/near them. https://youtu.be/AF55oyAJDBk?t=27

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Loved the movie. Will see again. I'm excited to see what Florence Pugh brings to the table moving forward. Especially if the MCU is setting up the Dark Avengers.

Most of all, I was just really drat excited to visit a movie theater again.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ramen Pride! posted:

I'm just going to put this out there because it really bugged me. Jet engines really are supposed to suck if you stand right over/near them. https://youtu.be/AF55oyAJDBk?t=27

I don't know if "how jet engines work" is really a spoiler, but okay. The sailor was walking in front of of the air intake with no bracing/handholds/etc. and was perpendicular to it. Yelena was standing on stuff parallel to it. Really the big "science fail" here is that explosion go up and out. So Yelena should have been shredded by the shapnal more than anything else.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

You’d think the dude’s sky fortress would show up on Google Maps or something.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm glad I had basically no expectations and little interest in Black Widow herself because I ended up enjoying it. I wasn't sure if Florence Pugh would translate to an action star but I was wrong. She definitely owned the movie. I've seen a lot of complaints about the third act but I thought the collapsing Red Room set piece looked awesome, especially Natasha vs Taskmaster. I wish I could've seen that in a theatre.

I was dreading the whistle being returned to Yelena in the post-credits but then JLD appeared :allears: I also have little interest in the Hawkeye show except for Renner to get out-acted by Florence and Hailee Steinfeld.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Regarding the end credit scenes, what role does Elaine play anyway? I think it's the first time she's showing up in a movie, outside the new bunch of TV series?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Regarding the end credit scenes, what role does Elaine play anyway? I think it's the first time she's showing up in a movie, outside the new bunch of TV series?

She's probably-evil Nick Fury, showing up at the end to recruit potential anti-heroes.

stev fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 11, 2021

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I absolutely love Florence Pugh and loved her in this movie, but as the one person on Earth who still loves Killing Eve even through season 3 I want to live in the alternate timeline where they got Jodie Comer to play Yelena instead.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

They showed the MARX part plenty of times.

Thanks! I missed it once I noticed the KARL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nikumatic posted:

I absolutely love Florence Pugh and loved her in this movie, but as the one person on Earth who still loves Killing Eve even through season 3 I want to live in the alternate timeline where they got Jodie Comer to play Yelena instead.

I'm very mildly disappointed that we didn't get Emily Beecham to show up. I mean, if you want to have somebody play a Widow, get the woman who played The Widow.