Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Rarity posted:

The original vibe for Thor was Shakespearean drama which was entirely his character through AoU and was very true to Thor in the comics. Then Takia Waititi showed up and now Thor is just Chris Hemsworth playing Chris Hemsworth and while that's definitely entertaining it's barely got any relation to who Thor actually is

Yeah, but how do you make that first character feel accessible in a setting where every other character speaks more or less naturalistically? You mostly wind up with the same "fish out of water" joke over and over. Joss Whedon's lazy, smarmy self-aware angle makes perfect sense given what the Thor movie set up: "dost mother know thou art wearing her drapes?!"

Ragnarok may be Chris Hemsworth playing Chris Hemsworth, but I have a vastly clearer sense of Thor's personality and inner life after that change happened. The character seemed frustrating to play and to interact with until Taika Waititi leaned into the Thor-as-golden-retriever thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Thor would have probably vibed better if Whedon's ironic quipster style didnt infect every aspect of the MCU.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Everyone posted:

Black Widow Pitch Meeting. It's like they've read our threads.

lmao I hadn't even noticed that the loving vest is in Infinity War. I wondered why they were making such a big deal about it.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
How come the Ray Winstone character didn't have any scars or anything from being exploded by black Widow...also how did he and his daughter survive being in the middle of an explosion?

This movie doesn't make any sense, I'll suspend disbelief because it's taking place a world where a literal thunder god walks around but they don't even try to explain how those two characters survived.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Miching Mallecho posted:

How come the Ray Winstone character didn't have any scars or anything from being exploded by black Widow...also how did he and his daughter survive being in the middle of an explosion?

This movie doesn't make any sense, I'll suspend disbelief because it's taking place a world where a literal thunder god walks around but they don't even try to explain how those two characters survived.

Live Model Decoy…holographic projection and misunderstanding he was actually in the office…Skrull…uh…let me just get some old comics out

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Miching Mallecho posted:

He cleared opened his desk and pulled out his anti-explosion raygun, but alas it was only loaded with one bullet

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

mastajake posted:

You’d think the dude’s sky fortress would show up on Google Maps or something.

There’s a line of dialog in the movie that’s basically “the red room is located somewhere to keep it off the radar of governments” and I busted out laughing at the reveal.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He just pays Google or Stark Maps or whatever to not index his sky fortress or use a clouded-up satellite image of the area. He's a plutocrat it's the point

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Well this was extremely bland.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
I thought it was a decent film, nothing special but good performances from Pugh and Harbour. Winstone’s Russian accent sounded more like Dutch than anything else.

The biggest plot point IMO was why no one intercepted their plane at the start of the film. SHIELD is on the scene, they know Alexei is a supersoldier, and they flew from Ohio to Cuba without incident?

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Do these Marvel movies really need a 2++ hour runtime?

FloPu did a decent job in this movie at least and David Harbour seemed to have good time as well.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Magic Mango posted:

I thought it was a decent film, nothing special but good performances from Pugh and Harbour. Winstone’s Russian accent sounded more like Dutch than anything else.

The biggest plot point IMO was why no one intercepted their plane at the start of the film. SHIELD is on the scene, they know Alexei is a supersoldier, and they flew from Ohio to Cuba without incident?

Actually I don't thInk SHIELD(HYDRA) was on the scene. It mostly looked like local cops. Presumably Alexei murdered the gently caress out of his co-worlers at the SHIELD place and this was local cops responding. As for why no one else intercepted the plane or how it had enough fuel to get to Cuba...

[Pitch Meeting Writer Guy]Look, I'm gonna need you to get ALL THE WAY off my back about that[/Pitch Meeting Writer Guy}

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Everyone posted:

Actually I don't thInk SHIELD(HYDRA) was on the scene. It mostly looked like local cops. Presumably Alexei murdered the gently caress out of his co-worlers at the SHIELD place and this was local cops responding. As for why no one else intercepted the plane or how it had enough fuel to get to Cuba...

[Pitch Meeting Writer Guy]Look, I'm gonna need you to get ALL THE WAY off my back about that[/Pitch Meeting Writer Guy}

Ohio to Cuba is within the maximum flight range of a lot of single engine turboprops, especially if they rigged it up with extra fuel capacity. Planes like that are very hard to track and intercept, as any number of drug cartels figured out during the 80s. Also, per Captain Marvel, 90’s era SHIELD is a bunch of guys with black SUVs and desk jobs, not quinjets and helicarriers. I assume their budget increased massively post-Hulk.

Anyway, apparently Black Widow had a 79% Friday to Friday box office drop, probably because premium streaming cannibalized second weekend sales. Not a great sign for theater chains post-COVID.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Magic Mango posted:

When I first watched the film for some reason I assumed they flew from like Florida. Flying from Ohio... that's a little crazy lol. As if the Feds wouldn't have responded to and intercepted that dinky little passenger plane after it flew an intense shoot out. Admittedly, it's 1995, so who knows if they'd care anymore after the Cold War, but still.

edit:
Yeah, super bad drop. Mendelson suggests that it could have a good multiplier like Suicide Squad even with a bad second week drop... but I don't really see that happening?

HOMOEROTIC JESUS fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 18, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Rarity posted:

The original vibe for Thor was Shakespearean drama which was entirely his character through AoU and was very true to Thor in the comics. Then Takia Waititi showed up and now Thor is just Chris Hemsworth playing Chris Hemsworth and while that's definitely entertaining it's barely got any relation to who Thor actually is

Shakespearean isn’t a character trait though. Movie Thor’s actual personality (boastful and kind of a dudebro) has remained fairly consistent, only got more appealing with writers who lean into it.

Also that said I’ve never got what was particularly Shakespearean about Thor 1 apart from the directory and the general concept of royal family drama.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

One thing I only really noticed on the second viewing. The Widow who goes to take Taskmaster's hand at the end of the movie is also the Widow who handles Taskmaster's Activation Protocol at the start, and does a sort of cutesy smile thing that initially seems weird, but now I think is meant to imply the two of them have found something precious in the hell of the Red Room in the same way that Natasha and Yelena have found a family.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Anyway, apparently Black Widow had a 79% Friday to Friday box office drop, probably because premium streaming cannibalized second weekend sales. Not a great sign for theater chains post-COVID.

Just from personal experience I watched it on D+ with three other people so we spent £5 each to watch it as many times as we want as opposed to £15-20 each to watch it once in a cinema.

I do genuinely hope it doesn't become the norm though. I know I wouldn't bother to go to the cinema if the option's there, but I'd also feel like I'm missing out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Where the hell are you paying £20 for a cinema ticket? I saw it for a fiver

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Miching Mallecho posted:

She got the bomb from Fisher Price

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Rarity posted:

Where the hell are you paying £20 for a cinema ticket? I saw it for a fiver

Central London prices.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I'll tell ya what, it takes a lot to suppress my desire to hoot and holler at Scarlett Johansson kicking rear end in a leather jumpsuit, but somehow, against all odds, this film managed to suppress those primal urges and send me into a catatonic state of quiet reflection on how we have strayed so far from the path of virtue.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

massive spider posted:

Shakespearean isn’t a character trait though. Movie Thor’s actual personality (boastful and kind of a dudebro) has remained fairly consistent, only got more appealing with writers who lean into it.

Also that said I’ve never got what was particularly Shakespearean about Thor 1 apart from the directory and the general concept of royal family drama.

Every once in a while I remember the first Thor was directed by Kenneth Branaugh.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Splint Chesthair posted:

Every once in a while I remember the first Thor was directed by Kenneth Branaugh.

Thor 1's marketing was basically like Marvel dipping their toes into "this isn't JUST a superhero movie it's more like [genre/renowned production] with superheroes in it", the posters all that had that pretentious sort of face shot + matter or fact text you'd see on DTV Shakespearean adaptation movies or ads for plays, etc.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Neo Rasa posted:

Thor 1's marketing was basically like Marvel dipping their toes into "this isn't JUST a superhero movie it's more like [genre/renowned production] with superheroes in it", the posters all that had that pretentious sort of face shot + matter or fact text you'd see on DTV Shakespearean adaptation movies or ads for plays, etc.

Which was kinda of nuts. Because my reaction to something like is "Oh, so it's not a long underwear punch-em-up. It's a boring, pretentious long underwear punch-em-up."

Fortunately I was able to endure the opening parts long enough for Thor to turn into a genuinely entertaining "fish-out-of-water" thing.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Thought the movie was bland but mostly fine. The script had some real dumb points.

Natasha's friend sets up her trailer and delivers mail from a Budapesht safe house. She no longer uses it so he moved someone else in. Natasha travels to Budapest and twist! the person staying there is her sister. Why did Yelena mail the vials to Natasha's safe house, then move in to that very address, then complain that Natasha brought them to a location she already mailed them to. Yelena should have mailed them literally anywhere else on the planet. And maybe include a informative note.

Why is that guy even reusing safe houses!?

Part of the plan to raid the sky base is for Natasha to activate her homing beacon bringing in SHIELD as backup. They never show up yet sky base 1 is defeated and the widows are free. Everyone can get away in a jet plane and live happily ever after, yet Natasha waits around for SHIELD to pick her up and I guess give her a ride to the Salon to update her hairdo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I thought the point was to get the vials to Natasha and away from Budapest and Yelena wasn't expecting her to bring them all the way back, similar to the diary in Last Crusade.
In both cases of course though a note would have been nice

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Personally, I liked the movie

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Neo Rasa posted:

I thought the point was to get the vials to Natasha and away from Budapest and Yelena wasn't expecting her to bring them all the way back, similar to the diary in Last Crusade.

Yeah, Yelena said she expected Nat to take it to the Avengers and take down the Red Room. Presumably the Budapest safehouse was the safest place she knew to send it? And presumably when nothing happened she went there to find and reclaim it? I guess there could have been a note and Nat just tossed it with the rest of the mail? To be honest the timeline on that is fuzzy to me. I might rewatch it but I also might just hand wave that away because it was just a mostly ok movie.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The way it went down seems to be Yelena gets the safe room, pretends to “find” some old stuff from the previous occupant and tells the guy, who figures it must be things Nat left, or was being paid as a low risk delivery of goods. Either way Yelena went to the safe house specifically to get the vials to Nat via the guy delivering it to her new safe house.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Lord_Magmar posted:

The way it went down seems to be Yelena gets the safe room, pretends to “find” some old stuff from the previous occupant and tells the guy, who figures it must be things Nat left, or was being paid as a low risk delivery of goods. Either way Yelena went to the safe house specifically to get the vials to Nat via the guy delivering it to her new safe house.

And if Taskmaster had not been there the vials would have been ended up in the trash.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CeeJee posted:

And if Taskmaster had not been there the vials would have been ended up in the trash.

Never said it was a good plan.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Never said it was a good plan.
Eh, the plan was mostly fine. She didn't predict that right before this movie Natasha was going to become a fugitive, basically cut ties with the Avengers, etc. If that hadn't happened then shipping the stuff to Natasha would've been fine. She would've just opened the package in her office or whatever.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Neo Rasa posted:

This, and I thought the point was that Yelena couldn’t trust any of the other Widows because of the mind control, and Natasha showing up at the safe house like that was a red flag that she’d been turned, hence why they started fighting immediately.

Of course, the movie doesn’t frame it any particular way, so the fight scene is left as a slight non-sequitur. It’s clearly actually intended to show off their parallel fighting ability, so you go into it knowing Yelena is “just as good.” Which is fine, I’m usually annoyed with the MCU for explaining too much, so it feels silly to complain about the opposite.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xealot posted:

This, and I thought the point was that Yelena couldn’t trust any of the other Widows because of the mind control, and Natasha showing up at the safe house like that was a red flag that she’d been turned, hence why they started fighting immediately.

Of course, the movie doesn’t frame it any particular way, so the fight scene is left as a slight non-sequitur. It’s clearly actually intended to show off their parallel fighting ability, so you go into it knowing Yelena is “just as good.” Which is fine, I’m usually annoyed with the MCU for explaining too much, so it feels silly to complain about the opposite.

I admit that I'd missed that idea because my brain was on MCU "cruise control."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What about every x-men movie?

Yeah I don’t vibe with alleged pedophiles

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Be that as it may, the first two Thor movies were almost completely boring and I can barely remember anything he did in his other earlier appearances. Sometimes it's bad to be a slave to the source material.
I disagree. While the 2nd movie was terrible, the first one was great.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Charlz Guybon posted:

I disagree. While the 2nd movie was terrible, the first one was great.

The first movie was good once Thor got booted out of Asgard. Prior to that it was kind of psuedo-Shakespearan BS. The second movie was okayish at the beginning, got better once Thor and Loki partnered up and was pretty good in the London portal-fighting scenes. Neither movie sucked donkey balls but Thor: Ragnorak was superior to both because it delved more into Thor's actual personality and also included a fight set to "The Immigrant Song."

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Everyone posted:

and also included a fight set to "The Immigrant Song."
Two, even!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fish out of water movies set on Earth are generally not great. If there's a fantastical setting I want to see the movie actually take place there - not boring as hell earth.

Case in point, the best Thor film barely spends any time on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

stev posted:

Fish out of water movies set on Earth are generally not great. If there's a fantastical setting I want to see the movie actually take place there - not boring as hell earth.

Case in point, the best Thor film barely spends any time on Earth.

Which is fine but I really wouldn't want to give up *glass smash* "ANOTHER!" or Thor going into a pet store and demanding a horse in favor of even more pseudo-Shakespeare in Asgard.