Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

My mum fancied him a lot when he managed City and tbh I think he's got even better with age

He does somehow look younger than at City

Mancini is like the other end of the "so loving Italian" scale from Sopranos style fat balding Spaghetti eaters, just a stylish suave man that can power a team to a title through style and hand gestures

Lol that City got rid of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Probably the correct decision. He would never have delivered the champions league.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

ozmunkeh posted:

Probably the correct decision. He would never have delivered the champions league.

Neither has Pep, maybe he would have?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

He does somehow look younger than at City

Mancini is like the other end of the "so loving Italian" scale from Sopranos style fat balding Spaghetti eaters, just a stylish suave man that can power a team to a title through style and hand gestures

Lol that City got rid of him

I’ve made this claim in a few of the serie a threads in whatever years he was back in Italy managing: I don’t think Mancini has been a great club manager since he was at City. Certainly he has been great as Italy manager tho. I’ve always respected how suave and attractive he is tho lol.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Alctel posted:

A perfectly hit penalty is basically impossible to save even for the best goalkeeper, but hitting it perfectly involves ignoring the rest of the players, the crowd, the millions watching on TV and the mental 6'+ guy dancing around on his line and staring daggers at you

That's why they are pretty much the best tie-breaker in sports tbh, the human factor is EVERYTHING.

I know I’m double posting but I’m on mobile and can’t deal with the copy paste thing: I love pens. I don’t get all the hate for them. Tons of drama, and I don’t believe it’s all luck…tons of skill and strategy involved.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

grvm posted:

I know I’m double posting but I’m on mobile and can’t deal with the copy paste thing: I love pens. I don’t get all the hate for them. Tons of drama, and I don’t believe it’s all luck…tons of skill and strategy involved.

Professional footballers are all good enough at football that penalties are 90% mental. That's what makes them so good. You take two teams that couldn't be separated by two hours of actual football, and put them through a process where whichever team is mentally tougher wins.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

vyelkin posted:

Professional footballers are all good enough at football that penalties are 90% mental. That's what makes them so good. You take two teams that couldn't be separated by two hours of actual football, and put them through a process where whichever team is mentally tougher wins.

I agree with you. Anytime a game comes to pens I hear tons of grief about pens being a bad way to decide a game, that’s what I don’t agree with.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's both better and worse than endless golden goal. Watching people run into the floor is its own sort of fun.

I ain't a great fan of the hyperfocused foot on the line rule though. Let the guy move a few milliseconds early, the world won't end.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Rule proposal: the keeper charge forward at the whistle that allows the kick taker to start

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pens are interesting but imo ET and pens should be a rare exception of how a game gets settled.

We had four penalty shootouts this Euros — the most in tournament history. In these games the ET mostly went to poo poo because teams played conservatively and figured they would rather gamble at the shootout than risk conceding a goal.

The rules should strongly induce teams to wrap things up in normal time. Maybe we clamp down more on cynical fouls. Maybe we tinker with the number of subs or whatever.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
23 man squad, 11 starters, 5+1 subs or w/e the gently caress. Leaves 6. One goalie, five peno-boys.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Vegetable posted:

Pens are interesting but imo ET and pens should be a rare exception of how a game gets settled.

We had four penalty shootouts this Euros — the most in tournament history. In these games the ET mostly went to poo poo because teams played conservatively and figured they would rather gamble at the shootout than risk conceding a goal.

The rules should strongly induce teams to wrap things up in normal time. Maybe we clamp down more on cynical fouls. Maybe we tinker with the number of subs or whatever.

There was a sub change, remember that you’re allowed another one in extra time. I think that’s good and should have made it more positive but it looks like most managers saved it for PK’s.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Go back to a replay in the event of a draw is my new stance

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In extra time scoring should change to Gaelic football rules, lets see how conservatively you play when if an attack breaks down the opposition can just leather it over the bar for 1/3rd of a goal

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

grvm posted:

I’ve made this claim in a few of the serie a threads in whatever years he was back in Italy managing: I don’t think Mancini has been a great club manager since he was at City. Certainly he has been great as Italy manager tho. I’ve always respected how suave and attractive he is tho lol.

You’re totally right, I remember his return to Inter made them poo poo enough that i could still make fun of them while Milan was also horrible.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Neither has Pep, maybe he would have?

wait are you telling me city haven't won the champions league?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The best penalty taker of all time (at least in the English leagues) is Matt Le Tissier, who used to bang in it either corner every time. 47/48 pens scored over his career and it was the exact same pen repeated.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I want to try and take a peno vs a proper keeper now

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bape Culture posted:

same tbh. I've scored in casual league futsal shootouts to win trophies before and the pressure even then is immense, against a professional keeper with a real sized goal would be fun as hell as a skill test

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bape Culture posted:

I've taken one against Nick Colgan (ex Hibs keeper. If you can call Scottish football real football). The goal seems very small when you are faced with a 6ft+ professional keeper.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Here is what a hockey penalty looks like when you go for max power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GY_bAyzDvs

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

I've taken one against Nick Colgan (ex Hibs keeper. If you can call Scottish football real football). The goal seems very small when you are faced with a 6ft+ professional keeper.

did you score

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sphyre posted:

did you score

I did not.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

I did not.

Sorry to hear that was he just not into you? Haha

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

They should prob still try to sort out the massive advantage of winning the coin flip and going first confers in pens, was the ABBA experiment given up on?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Has there been any statistical analysis of penalty shoot outs won by the team going first or second?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Flayer posted:

Has there been any statistical analysis of penalty shoot outs won by the team going first or second?

Yes going first is an advantage

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Flayer posted:

Going first gives you 60/40

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Flayer posted:

lots but with mixed results:

Marca goes with the 60% of teams going first win the shootout (this was 100% in the Championship just finished): https://www.marca.com/en/football/uefa-euro/2021/07/12/60ec363622601d8c1d8b4594.html
This piece says that the team of the captain who won the coin toss (only 56% of whom elected to kick first) won 60% of their shootouts and implies that playing to your advantages (like if you have a badass keeper and you want to put the other guys off) is more of a factor than just going first https://theconversation.com/euro-2020-penalty-shootouts-can-be-won-or-lost-on-a-coin-toss-163039

This is a study of alternative penalty formats (I've not read more than the abstract) https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10288-020-00439-w

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What if for pens each team gets to pick the other team’s 5.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Blasmeister posted:

They should prob still try to sort out the massive advantage of winning the coin flip and going first confers in pens, was the ABBA experiment given up on?

I think they gave it up because it was too new and confusing for dullards

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

https://twitter.com/EURO2020/status/1414881871167688707?s=19

Team of the euros

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The catch-up ABBA system is way too complicated to be explained by an itv commentator to a viewer who's already 9 pints in.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Blasmeister posted:

Wouldn't that give Sweden an unfair advantage?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's baffling that they had to ditch a solid idea because the idea of alternating between going first and going second was just too confusing for people?? fans?? pundits?? I don't even know whom.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Offside is a pretty simple concept and there is a whole cultural thing about people struggling to understand it.

People are really dumb. Making them think, or just pay attention to an explanation, is doomed to fail

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Football was perfect when I was 11 and any rule introduced since is bollocks

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

goatface posted:

Offside is a pretty simple concept and there is a whole cultural thing about people struggling to understand it.

People are really dumb. Making them think, or just pay attention to an explanation, is doomed to fail

Offside is a simple concept but the rules are far from simple and half the time I don't loving know if it's offside anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Offside is a simple concept but the rules are far from simple and half the time I don't loving know if it's offside anymore.

It doesn’t seem like there’s many rules regarding offside? Beyond the second to last defender, played by the attacking team, it’s offside?