Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you still use VGA in any capacity?
At work, frequently
At work, infrequently
At home, frequently
At home, unfrequently
No lol
View Results

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I do

I have a monitor with a wonky DisplayPort input, but the VGA works totally fine and I can’t tell the difference with my old lady eyes. it’s kinda wild that vga is so entrenched that HP is still putting it in their latest docking stations and monitors. I also use VGA for both of my vintage computers.

I’ve always thought VGA was a perfectly good video format. it supports a lot of good resolutions and looks great for how simple it is. eventually I might learn how to make a vga interface myself on an fpga, it always seemed like a fun project.

how bout y’all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
no

imo there is a noticeable difference wrt text on a lot of displays

for everything else though i don't think it matters too much

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
there's this tiny little VGA monitor thats like 13", feels like it weighs less than a pound, that we've brought from office to office for the past 15 years now.

we have like 3 servers in the office that is running some CI stuff, and and every once and awhile i have to plug in a monitor to see if it's actually locked up or something else is broke

haven't done it in a year tho, but thats due to the 'rona

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i probably would be if i was still travelling, as vga on projector setups remains one of the (lowest common denominator) default options for presentations etc. been a decade+ since i used it day-to-day though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes. physical server consoles are still vga, so for the once in a blue moon something can't be done remotely/via idrac, i still need vga

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I do when I work from home because my worktop inexplicably only has vga and display port outs, and lol @ buying a display port cable and adapter for my monitor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
very good adapter

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yes, for classic computers, as well as for nominally headless boxes that occasionally need a local display

no for daily use

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i still generally use DVI, the big meat tenderizer connector

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
absolutely not, that would look like poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no, op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also this should have been a checkbox poll. do better

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m posting from mobile

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the high standards of yospos have not been adhered to

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
640x480: good enough for Terry A. Davis, good enough for me

god's chosen resolution

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
very good analog

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
it's fine for 1080p over a short cable

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
poll added

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

thanks graph

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

saw USB-C to VGA adapter at the store, very cursed op

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

aeflux posted:

saw USB-C to VGA adapter at the store, very cursed op

USB C to RJ45 Console Cable, even more cursed

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
VGA looks terrible on LCD monitors. it also looks very bad on large CRTs unless you have a high refresh rate.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
my laptop only supports three monitors through the docking station if one of them is analog, so I have a small LCD connected over VGA for the third one

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hell yeah, op. I use vga every day:

V -ery
G - reat
A - ss

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes I have a very gaping rear end and I use it to full capacity

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dreamcast yo

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
no

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

still rocking a 50" pioneer plasma at home, and you have to use vga on that to get all the 1366x768 glory

the hdmi inputs has extreme overscan with no way of turning it off

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tankakern posted:

still rocking a 50" pioneer plasma at home, and you have to use vga on that to get all the 1366x768 glory

the hdmi inputs has extreme overscan with no way of turning it off

probably not at all worth it at this point but you could probably correct for that in the gpu driver if you hook a computer up to it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The Management posted:

VGA looks terrible on LCD monitors. it also looks very bad on large CRTs unless you have a high refresh rate.

looks fine to me

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I made my own adapter that dangles out of the back and has exposed circuitry. really been meaning to learn eagle or wtf to make a cleaner one

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I have to use VGA for my 3rd monitor at work, like a peasant.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mediaphage posted:

probably not at all worth it at this point but you could probably correct for that in the gpu driver if you hook a computer up to it

i've done that to test it out, but the effective resolution gets down to like 1100x680 or something absurd like that

you can only compensate for the overscan, not magically get it to run actual 720p

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and even if you could, 768 still is better than 720, and on plasma you dont really notice any vga artifacts

(ok maybe if you set a solid color wallpaper (e.g. green) on your desktop and then have a black window open, then you get some shadow artifacting going)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i have a titanium powerbook that i use it on, nothing else

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

carry on then posted:

:swoon:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont janitor my monitors. i dont know.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

carry on then posted:

why? the tibook has dvi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)