Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you still use VGA in any capacity?
At work, frequently
At work, infrequently
At home, frequently
At home, unfrequently
No lol
View Results

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

carry on then posted:

mine doesn't

oh yeah you're right, the early ones still had vga. i just checked and one of mine still has it

i guess ive never it with an external display, now that i think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
one of the presentation projectors at work has a VGA converted to an HDMI.

i was giving a presentation to a new exec and they were like 'we should have smart boards' while i was fiddling with it.

whew child the ghetto, the ghetto, the ghetto.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I have never seen a smart board being used, ever

at this point i'm starting to believe they were a non-functional hoax product

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

once in a while I have to stage a server at work which means I need to bust out an old rear end flat panel and VGA cable because it's 2021 and OEMs have been using the same remote KVM/VGA framebuffer combo chipset on every server mobo they produce for two decades

I also have a similar lovely board at home and it's connected via VGA as a secondary input on one of my monitors so once my desktop goes to sleep that monitor has a dimmed ESXi console on it

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

At work the lovely lenovo monitors are all connected to docking stations with VGA cables despite the docks and monitors both having displayport. I find it incredibly aggravating.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

r u ready to WALK posted:

a client of mine moved in to a new office that was originally intended to be a shared office space and it came with them in two conference rooms and the president's office. they got increasingly mad as they discovered that they are absolutely terrible for everything and i had to explain that no there was nothing they could do about it, they just suck.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

knox_harrington posted:

At work the lovely lenovo monitors are all connected to docking stations with VGA cables despite the docks and monitors both having displayport. I find it incredibly aggravating.

do you work for the government?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

someone sold all the displayport cables the monitors came with

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
wish I could get VAG in some capacity, am I right fellas

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
VGA is great for DIY video output for hobby electronics projects. NTSC requires a super precise frequency and a lot of digital panels will freeze for a second if the timing gets messed up. Tube tvs would have a burst of static and almost immediately settle.

Royalty free goes a long way.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my homie dhall posted:

haven’t really seen a use for variadic acyclic graphs but lemme know

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

my homie dhall posted:

i don't buy german cars

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

r u ready to WALK posted:

i used to work at a school district that had a lot of them. one time someone called and said their mouse was totally stuck and wouldn't move anywhere. turned out they had a chair next to the smart board and a coat draped over the chair such that it was touching the board, causing it to register as someone constantly touching the board

the ones we had were generally functional, albeit could be awkward having to have the projector lined up and the board calibrated if you didn't have one of the fixed ceiling mount projectors. that was over ten years ago though, i haven't seen one since then

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
which actually is relevant to this thread as one year they ceiling mounted a bunch of projectors but neglected to have the VGA cables run during installation. so i had to go back and pull VGA cables through conduits with what felt like 90 degree bends in them, which was a huge pain in the butt with those big blocky plugs at the end. lot of swearing and grunting while i was standing on a chair or desk under the projector tugging on a pull cord.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

my main issue with VGA for projectors is that people would always complain about missing colors in their presentations after they hulk smashed the plug against an edge and bent one or more pins flat inside

it's not a flimsy connector it's just not idiot proof

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh yeah forgot to mention my anecdotes were from the late 2000s lol. i think we were using physical splitters to get the signal from the teacher's desktop PC to both the monitor and projector. not even sure those PCs we had back then came with dual head capability

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
you can run vga for hundreds of feet op, whereas you need to put other cables over ethernet or over ip to get any run on them. so yes i use it frequently. another thing is apple computer can only have 2 digital displays out but infinite analog so if yu aare having 10 displays or something out u will need to dongle tentacle grape it and use vga or smth =D

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that’s some cool info smythe how’s the theater doing

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

that’s some cool info smythe how’s the theater doing

its good surprisingly but it was not good for 1 year+ during the plague wherein we were closed due to the virus.....

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
a local theatre now looks like wizards as in like august of 2019 they bought pandemic insurance, kind of on a whim

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

not even sure those PCs we had back then came with dual head capability

dating in the 2020s is so different

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

there's a vga cable in my big box of cables and it wouldn't be there if, someday, sometime, i might be called upon to use it, so therefore yes i will definitely use it in some capacity

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

dating in the 2020s is so different

user post combo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
deep in my heart I feel like VGA will always exist as some kind of baseline technology that “just works” much like 3.5” floppies and showing women respect

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Smythe posted:

another thing is apple computer can only have 2 digital displays out

lol what

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i called my guy and he said nobody uses vga anymore. so that's that. my condolences if you are the exception to the rule, it sounds fairly nasty.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

VGA is the purest display standard. you have an hsync and a vsync and red green blue. five pins plus grounds. it’s been around for three hundred years. you cannot surpass it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
640x480, the great sync in the sky, rip terry a davis

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

VGA is the purest display standard. you have an hsync and a vsync and red green blue. five pins plus grounds. it’s been around for three hundred years. you cannot surpass it

its whatever a tv uses actually. that's one cable with one wire in it. you dont even need a wire when it goes over the air.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm so angry right now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hifi posted:

its whatever a tv uses actually. that's one cable with one wire in it. you dont even need a wire when it goes over the air.

username post combo breaker

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hifi posted:

the space station has advanced tv technology that doesn't even require the air

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

640x480, the great sync in the sky, rip terry a davis

rip terry, thought of a train in the desert and died

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
i like this guys videos, who needs DisplayPort when you can build a vga interface yourself

https://youtu.be/l7rce6IQDWs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ah that guy. good video.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hello ben

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021
op do we have the same Refurbished dell monitor that isn't even 192;0x1080? are we kindred spirits? :stare:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I used a Dell 1280x1024 monitor for a very long time but it is in the big recycling center in the sky now

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

presently I have a nice viewsonic 28"... with a VGA port :smugmrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

viewsonic's transition from crts to lcds was underwhelming