Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you still use VGA in any capacity?
At work, frequently
At work, infrequently
At home, frequently
At home, unfrequently
No lol
View Results

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized my work Lenovo is connected to the external VDU via VGA as that's the only thing the latter has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
took another VGA adapter out of the environment today

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Perplx posted:

is there a single thing crts do better than modern displays? they use to have faster response times but i don't think thats true any more with 120hz oled and 360hz lcd

keeps your desk steady

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

keeping cats warm

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

r u ready to WALK posted:

keeping cats warm

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
also physically supporting the brawniest of cats

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

keeps your desk steady

what kind of desk did you have where this is true? my old piece of poo poo desk (the kind with a shelf on top for cds) used to wobble indefinitely using the crt as a pendulum weight.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Workaday Wizard posted:

what kind of desk did you have where this is true? my old piece of poo poo desk (the kind with a shelf on top for cds) used to wobble indefinitely using the crt as a pendulum weight.

stop wanking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
never

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

infernal machines posted:

i saw some crts used for part of a video installation at the AGO yesterday. they were like 3' by 4' and the picture on them was absolutely incredible.

how loving heavy were those beasts? also what brand? i thought crts were extinct, as in no one made the tubes anymore.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have no idea. it's an art gallery, they don't like you trying to pick stuff up, as a rule

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

wonder what that actually was, as far as the hardware. i'm still waiting on the scart adapter, but the fellow is in new zealand so it'll be at least another couple weeks before it even ships at this point. ah well, at least he does have it set aside, and it will get here eventually. frustrating, given that it's the last missing piece for this project though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apparently they refurb stuff at times, but the ones i saw last month aren't in the article image. it was their warhol exhibition and the monitors were all the same and had the look of purpose built pro video gear, so idk if they're just for the warhol exhibit or what.

i'm tempted to go back to see if i can get a better look at them

e: found it! they had a bunch of these

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 30, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They don't make video CRTs any more but the thing is they made a lot of them before they stopped making them. There's millions of "new old stock" CRT video display units around somewhere.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i hate CRT hoarders

i were supposed to hoard those displays you jerks

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i finally got the last piece i needed to fix the color space on the pvm, so i finished getting that working this afternoon. the goal here was to be able to sync an hdmi signal to a sony pvm from the late 80s - early 90s, and uses this ancient 4-bnc connector format. it provides for good image resolution (you can also use these for rgb gaming w/ scart connectors directly), and i thought it'd be about perfect for use w/ older pc games and such, if i was able to get the signal up correctly. these monitors were mostly used in broadcast studios and such, and so for the time they have fairly sophisticated features, and still provide great image resolution

it's not straightforward how to go from hdmi to 4-bnc; the 4-bnc connectors separate the signal into four components (obviously). there's one for red, green, blue, and a yellow that carries the composite horizontal and vertical sync

like so:

and here's the pile of stuff i needed to get there

it goes from hdmi -> component -> scart rgb -> 4-bnc, with two active adapters. the end signal is quite nice. with this input method, the display understands and correctly formats and outputs a 1280x720i signal. i synced a full hd signal as well, using those component to bnc adapters in the pic of the back above - but the color space was wrong, because it separates out the colors differently - in order to carry the horiz/ vert sync along with the colors, rather than as a separate cable like the 4-bnc here

and the result:

if people are interested i can show how to get amber and greenpos too, but it takes a completely different setup so i'm not doing it now. i'm pleased to see it finally working w/ a modern pc signal, also to finally get the adapter from new zealand. poor dude was stuck in quarantine for like a month :)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Broken Machine posted:

i finally got the last piece i needed to fix the color space on the pvm, so i finished getting that working this afternoon. the goal here was to be able to sync an hdmi signal to a sony pvm from the late 80s - early 90s, and uses this ancient 4-bnc connector format. it provides for good image resolution (you can also use these for rgb gaming w/ scart connectors directly), and i thought it'd be about perfect for use w/ older pc games and such, if i was able to get the signal up correctly. these monitors were mostly used in broadcast studios and such, and so for the time they have fairly sophisticated features, and still provide great image resolution

it's not straightforward how to go from hdmi to 4-bnc; the 4-bnc connectors separate the signal into four components (obviously). there's one for red, green, blue, and a yellow that carries the composite horizontal and vertical sync

like so:

and here's the pile of stuff i needed to get there

it goes from hdmi -> component -> scart rgb -> 4-bnc, with two active adapters. the end signal is quite nice. with this input method, the display understands and correctly formats and outputs a 1280x720i signal. i synced a full hd signal as well, using those component to bnc adapters in the pic of the back above - but the color space was wrong, because it separates out the colors differently - in order to carry the horiz/ vert sync along with the colors, rather than as a separate cable like the 4-bnc here

and the result:

if people are interested i can show how to get amber and greenpos too, but it takes a completely different setup so i'm not doing it now. i'm pleased to see it finally working w/ a modern pc signal, also to finally get the adapter from new zealand. poor dude was stuck in quarantine for like a month :)

baller

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no, op. I don't hoard e-waste

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Bloody posted:

I don't hoard e-waste

plz turn in your yospos poster badge and gun

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have a Nintendo Classic Mini and a The Vic20, and I never use them because they're useless. I tried to sell them but Facebook won't let me because apparently they are somehow illegal streaming devices.

e: I paid exactly 0€ for them, of course.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

3D Megadoodoo posted:

illegal streaming devices.

The gently caress? Is my computer an "illegal streaming device"?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

yours? Yes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

oh gently caress i didn't realize this was the vga thread, i was just responding to "e-waste hoarding". but anyway idk, ask facebook vOv

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i worked with the pvm more yesterday, and continue to be amazed at what a vintage display from '89 with well written digital / analog signal processing software can do. especially coupled w/ modern gear

there it is with a pretty much perfect, bright, calibrated picture at 1600x900. i don't think it was used much before they dropped it by the recycling center and we spotted it. i'd say in person, in a dark room it ends up w/ a similar effect to hdr, except with the excellent black levels of a crt. glad i finally bothered to take a look at this - it'd been in storage for a while before today

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

how does oled black compare to crt black

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Gentle Autist posted:

how does oled black compare to crt black

crt still has better blacks by a ways, especially in a darker setting. oleds are nice though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Broken Machine posted:

crt still has better blacks by a ways, especially in a darker setting. oleds are nice though

this is highly variable on the CRT imo, many have blacs that are just an olivey green colour ime

i like CRTs for some things but i'd stick pick an OLED for most things

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
when people say crt was good they are talking Sony wegas that only rich people had

I distinctly remember my first lovely lcd beside my old lovely crt monitor and it was night and day

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Games looked better on a CRT because there was hardware anti-aliasing. Not on a good CRT though, games on good CRTs looked and look like rear end and not in the good way.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

used vga just today op.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I mostly use VGA through adapters

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
usually BNC, 13W3, 3W3, or DA15

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
13w3 is such a good connector. love it. wish I had it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I have a couple of nice 21in SGI Trinitron monitors with 13W3 on the back

glorious

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i have 3 24" sun trinitrons with 13W3. i wonder if they still work

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i have 0 crt

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

shameful

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Games looked better on a CRT because there was hardware anti-aliasing. Not on a good CRT though, games on good CRTs looked and look like rear end and not in the good way.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the biggest disappointment with the move to LCD was everything looking like dog poo poo unless it was running at native resolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it sucks that the industry decided LCDs should just stretch out and throw a bilinear filter on everything instead of giving us control over simulated scanlines, forced integer scaling, overscan/underscan etc

but at least you can do it with external scalers nowadays