Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you still use VGA in any capacity?
At work, frequently
At work, infrequently
At home, frequently
At home, unfrequently
No lol
View Results

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
my laptop only supports three monitors through the docking station if one of them is analog, so I have a small LCD connected over VGA for the third one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
the smart board story reminded me of a great story from corporate america

a megacorp I used to work for had a smart board in a conference room, but people were afraid to use it and there was a delicate dance/hot potato/musical chairs about who would log in to it.

why? because all computers were assigned to someone and if it wasn't known it would be automatically determined by who logged in (not sure if it was the last person to log in when the scan was run or who was logged in the most).

Then you'd show up on a list of USERS GETTING BILLED FOR TWO COMPUTERS that would get sent to the director who would get mad about how we were being billed extra for your "second computer". the only way to get the computer to stop being charged to your department was to re-assign it and have someone accept the assignment or to submit a formal request to have the IT department come and destroy remove it.

i think eventually it got removed so we'd stop getting charged for it.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Workaday Wizard posted:

i’ve read this multiple times and i still can’t understand what getting billed for two computers mean. are you using VDI and getting billed per VM or something?

in any case: lol

infernal machines posted:

IT bills a department a fixed amount per user/computer for support/maintenance. if one person signs into a computer other than the one they're assigned they're billed for using two of them even though one is a shared resource because whoever implemented the system was an idiot

yeah, this