Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you still use VGA in any capacity?
At work, frequently
At work, infrequently
At home, frequently
At home, unfrequently
No lol
View Results

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
no

imo there is a noticeable difference wrt text on a lot of displays

for everything else though i don't think it matters too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tankakern posted:

still rocking a 50" pioneer plasma at home, and you have to use vga on that to get all the 1366x768 glory

the hdmi inputs has extreme overscan with no way of turning it off

probably not at all worth it at this point but you could probably correct for that in the gpu driver if you hook a computer up to it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

a local theatre now looks like wizards as in like august of 2019 they bought pandemic insurance, kind of on a whim

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

dating in the 2020s is so different

user post combo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i miss narrower displays, they were better for reading

Silver Alicorn posted:

what's good nowadays? I've been thinking of upgrading

sort of depends on your use case and what features are important to you (uniformity, colour repro, response time, refresh rate, etc) but there are good options from lots of places at this point

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

i finally got the last piece i needed to fix the color space on the pvm, so i finished getting that working this afternoon. the goal here was to be able to sync an hdmi signal to a sony pvm from the late 80s - early 90s, and uses this ancient 4-bnc connector format. it provides for good image resolution (you can also use these for rgb gaming w/ scart connectors directly), and i thought it'd be about perfect for use w/ older pc games and such, if i was able to get the signal up correctly. these monitors were mostly used in broadcast studios and such, and so for the time they have fairly sophisticated features, and still provide great image resolution

it's not straightforward how to go from hdmi to 4-bnc; the 4-bnc connectors separate the signal into four components (obviously). there's one for red, green, blue, and a yellow that carries the composite horizontal and vertical sync

like so:

and here's the pile of stuff i needed to get there

it goes from hdmi -> component -> scart rgb -> 4-bnc, with two active adapters. the end signal is quite nice. with this input method, the display understands and correctly formats and outputs a 1280x720i signal. i synced a full hd signal as well, using those component to bnc adapters in the pic of the back above - but the color space was wrong, because it separates out the colors differently - in order to carry the horiz/ vert sync along with the colors, rather than as a separate cable like the 4-bnc here

and the result:

if people are interested i can show how to get amber and greenpos too, but it takes a completely different setup so i'm not doing it now. i'm pleased to see it finally working w/ a modern pc signal, also to finally get the adapter from new zealand. poor dude was stuck in quarantine for like a month :)

baller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

crt still has better blacks by a ways, especially in a darker setting. oleds are nice though

this is highly variable on the CRT imo, many have blacs that are just an olivey green colour ime

i like CRTs for some things but i'd stick pick an OLED for most things