Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Do maps and minimaps count for the purposes of this thread? I have a couple standout examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc9e6Y5jzPI

Every aspect of this game looks like a nightmare but the UI is an unending parade of failure.

Discendo Vox posted:

Do maps and minimaps count for the purposes of this thread? I have a couple standout examples.

Someone already called out the SMT 1 map.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GloomMouse posted:

Also you can only split stacks of resources in half to put in the machines, so if you just want to put in 60 pure ferrite or w/e it's a huge pain in the rear end.

you can press down & up on dpad (idk the kb equivalent) to pick up/put down items 10 at a time

still a pretty poo poo ux, admittedly

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Hitman as a series has struggled with map and interface elements for a long time before reaching near maturity in the recent "world of assassination" trilogy. For those not familiar, this is a stealth-focused assassination franchise that emphasizes "social" stealth, disguises, etc. There are a lot of things I can discuss from the series, but let's start with maps, which are a key part of the interface for this sort of game.

Early games in the series had no minimap, instead using a map, accessible at one button press, that provides minimal level geometry information, sometimes including place names. Depending on difficulty, this map would also info on either the location and facing direction of all NPCs, or only the targets.

This was a pain point because players had only the map to rely on for spaces they could not directly see into. A player navigating a level for the first time would rely on either a lot of waiting or pulling the map open to tell who was where- blind corners and getting surprised by NPCs was basically how players learned the game. Maps would often have many separate floors, requiring the player to swap between them to see who was where, and it did a poor job of keeping scale. All the same, the map was essential for learning and navigating spaces for the first time, and it often provided valuable clues about routes that weren't apparent.

This hit its nadir in Hitman Absolution, which tried to rectify the situation by using an "instinct" button that would let the player see things through walls to compensate (among other features). The instinct function was used to justify doing away with level maps entirely. Instead, players got a corner minimap:

This minimap shows all non-crowd NPCs and targets and icons in the level, compressing them at the edge of the compass when outside its (necessarily very short) range. It does not show level geometry of any kind. NPCs on different Z-levels are still shown, but are greyed out when they hit arbitrary Z distances. The large arrows routinely overlap and make parsing what is happening even more of a mess. The compass also gets colored filters depending on enemy alert status, a system with its own failures. The net effect is the minimap is almost totally useless.

This post from the lead UI designer summarizes some of their development activities (and you can see other interface problems there). To be clear, I don't fully blame the problems with Absolution's map, or its other interface elements- Absolution was such a remarkable clusterfuck that blame needs to go every which way, especially to the directors.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 15, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

good news everyone i checked last night and snes smt2 immediately has a 1000% better comp map than snes smt1

you can just hit L to immediately bring up the map (of course, you can still go through the menu the old fashioned way) And theres actual config! and its set to Fixed by default!! 💃

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Any game that uses a controller thumbstick as a menu cursor can go straight into the trash (think Destiny, No Man's Sky). Especially when they make you to hold a button to confirm.

Just take the time to create a menu flow like every other game!! gently caress!!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Operation: Tango is a cute lil co-op game with friends but there is a puzzle early on where you have to input numbers another player gives you under a timer. The way you put the numbers in is by manipulating a free swinging dial and it does not snap cleanly between marked intervals and demands precision at what your pointing at. What pushes it over the top is eventually you have to manipulate multiple dials on one interface and dials you need to move can be fully covered up and thus ungrabable by other dials now locked to the correct position.

Now, for the piece de resistance, imagine doing this on a controller instead of a PC with mouse

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
TES_IV_Oblivion_UI.jpg

TES_V_Skyrim_UI.jpg

Both of these games have atrocious UI design. Skyrim in particular does that especially awful thing with your resources where like mana is on the bottom left of the screen and drains from right to left, stamina is on the bottom right of the screen and drains from left to right, and the worst offender of all, health, is on the bottom middle of the screen and drains from outside to inside, so at a glance it’s almost impossible to see what percentage you have remaining.

Just because those elements are kinda-sorta “symmetrical” doesn’t mean The design looks good or is useful whatsoever.

Also, as much as I’d love to, I don’t have time to write a dissertation on how dogshit the inventory interfaces are in these games. Suffice it to say they’re even worse.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Just hopped on Phasmaphobia for the first time in a while and they made the UI more "sleek" during the buy phase, but I feel really fractured it and it doesn't feel intuitive at all.

Good game tho

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Barudak posted:

Operation: Tango is a cute lil co-op game with friends but there is a puzzle early on where you have to input numbers another player gives you under a timer. The way you put the numbers in is by manipulating a free swinging dial and it does not snap cleanly between marked intervals and demands precision at what your pointing at. What pushes it over the top is eventually you have to manipulate multiple dials on one interface and dials you need to move can be fully covered up and thus ungrabable by other dials now locked to the correct position.

Now, for the piece de resistance, imagine doing this on a controller instead of a PC with mouse

I just played through that, fwiw they fixed it up...a little, though it still doesn't snap cleanly, they adjusted the detection to be more forgiving and correct dials no longer block unsolved ones.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

TES_IV_Oblivion_UI.jpg

TES_V_Skyrim_UI.jpg

Both of these games have atrocious UI design. Skyrim in particular does that especially awful thing with your resources where like mana is on the bottom left of the screen and drains from right to left, stamina is on the bottom right of the screen and drains from left to right, and the worst offender of all, health, is on the bottom middle of the screen and drains from outside to inside, so at a glance it’s almost impossible to see what percentage you have remaining.

Just because those elements are kinda-sorta “symmetrical” doesn’t mean The design looks good or is useful whatsoever.

Also, as much as I’d love to, I don’t have time to write a dissertation on how dogshit the inventory interfaces are in these games. Suffice it to say they’re even worse.

In all honesty I've played skyrim with like skyUI through 90% of my playthroughs and I forgot how bad the original UI is but oblivions is way worse mostly because you gotta balance a bit more stuff.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I don't think I even remember Skyrims original UI...

Does anyone remember Too Human on Xbox? That cyber-viking game with the dog poo poo laggy inventory UI? I don't know how that game passed Xbox certification.. publisher must have bribed Ms to pass it.

There was some other game(s) I forget the names of that had a pulldown listing all the keyboard keys to rebind... Instead of doing key input detection you had to scroll through a huge list to set a single key bind. But at least you COULD rebind, so I guess that's cool.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oblivion's UI is at least a decent attempt at wrangling all the disparate Elder Scrolls stuff in a somewhat sensible way that can still be read on a TV across the room. Skyrim's by comparison is like they wildly overcompensated trying to respond to complaints about Oblivion's UI and minimalized everything to hell.

Though to be honest, I never minded either game's interface all that much. (I used one mod to increase the number of items on screen for Oblivion, Skyrim was completely vanilla). And frankly I find SkyUI and its Oblivion counterpart to have their own problems.

On a separate note, surprised Mass Effect hasn't come up. Rare case of a game where the console interface gave people nightmares but on PC was never really an issue.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QekxZL7e_w

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
loving starbound had a lovely UI. Popup windows that would often be in a location where you could move or resize them while also not being able to see what was in half of the window.

On the plus side the game is boring dogshit so it does prevent you from experiencing it further at least.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Civ 6 isn't exactly the worst thing I've ever seen, but... C'mon, how do you gently caress up Civ?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

haldolium posted:

almost all multiplatform games before scalable and easily interchangable UI tech (I think Scaleform was the first step yet also sucked for its own reasons) came to life and no one put in effort to design for non-main-platform (so PC most of the time)

Rainbow Six was another example of this. On Playstation, it was not even close to the original version. You could not set up a pre-mission plan with any degree of precision, only vaguely indicate one of a small number of pre-set spots where you wanted your forces to go. It was also rather difficult to actually coordinate with teams when the mission was active. So instead of being about constructing a detailed plan that might require improvisation on-the-fly, the best you could manage was calling your forces in to hold an area you cleared yourself. It more or less turned it into Spec Ops with some slight ability to rely on back-up and breach buildings.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Any game that uses a controller thumbstick as a menu cursor can go straight into the trash (think Destiny, No Man's Sky). Especially when they make you to hold a button to confirm.

Just take the time to create a menu flow like every other game!! gently caress!!!!

I think holding a button can be a useful function if it's in the context of being some kind of permanent, non-reversible decision, like trashing an item or interacting with a very important object that marks a point of no return (like if there's two right next to each other).

But devs do like to use this for the most pointless poo poo, like looting resources in a game or picking menu options.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

What about games that don't bother explaining how to do anything, thus forcing you to go outside the game and open the fandom wiki instead?

Warframe and Terraria are guilty of this.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Depending on what part of the UI, Terraria is both terrible and interesting.

The Guide has forever been useful and loving pointless. I like that you can show them an item and it will tell you what you can make out of it. But gently caress you if you don't know what the hell that other item you need is, cause he's not going to tell you if it's a crafted item or a drop, and if it's a drop who and what drops it.

worm girl posted:

First prize has to go to NEO Scavenger, which is actually an awesome game. It feels like some cursed shareware you'd find on AOL back in like 96. Combat takes place in a barter menu, you can eat people, the story involves cryogenics, werewolves, cyberpocalyptic Detroit, magic, and that's all just in the first few minutes.

The fact that NEO Scav runs at all is wizardry, mmmm Adobe Flash Player in 2022.
The demo is still technically up: https://bluebottlegames.com/src/nsDemoFullscreen.html

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Drinkslinger posted:

What about games that don't bother explaining how to do anything, thus forcing you to go outside the game and open the fandom wiki instead?

I actually got a second monitor for home (cheap 1080p that I can flip to portrait mode) mostly so I could keep something like a Minecraft Modpack wiki open for when I inevitably need to go look up the inbetween steps that everybody apparently knows to do in any given Modpack that I never knew about, or the stuff that's supposed to be base-level knowledge for a particular mod but never gets explained. I got introduced by a buddy to the whole concept of "We can build an computer that stores all of our items which are generated from an automated mining system situated on sky islands" and step 0 of the whole thing is "build an infinite water source, infinite stone generator, and mob killing farm" before you can even touch the neat stuff.

I don't think I've found a single good modpack for the purpose of advancing through objectives in order to build more complex machines, and that's after specifically seeking out and playing the ones who advertise "Follow our easy Advancement Guide to Learn to Build Neat Complex Machines!" In reality you get a specific book to keep in a hotbar that you constantly have to cross-reference using a specific hotkey so you can manually tick-off the advancements you've completed, with very little info on what to do next, in my experience. Bonus points if the Advancement Book says poo poo like "Step 3: Build a Skymatrix Fluxboondoggle" with no additional steps, so now I also have to have a separate tab on the Wiki open on the page with steps 1-17 on how to make a Skymatrix Fluxboondoggle structure, which require constant backtracking through recipes just to find that I need to automate six more things before completing Step 3 in the advancement book. :rant:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Drinkslinger posted:

Terraria starts you next to a guy that will tell you what to do at all stages of the game in plain language (minus a very few bits like throwing a voodoo doll in lava), and even those are at least hinted at

Minecraft, however, doesn't do jack all. I doubt a new unguided player could even get a crafting table together, let alone a tool of any sort, let alone anything resembling progression

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just tried Minecraft not in creative for the first time and its a brutal start. I had absolutely no idea what if anything I should be doing and until you make the crafting table and figure out how to actually use it and that it can show you things you don't have the pieces to make yet you're not actually doing anything.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gotta find diamond

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

Civ 6 isn't exactly the worst thing I've ever seen, but... C'mon, how do you gently caress up Civ?

What did you find wrong with Civ 6’s UI? Not disagreeing, just curious about your thoughts on it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Barudak posted:

I just tried Minecraft not in creative for the first time and its a brutal start. I had absolutely no idea what if anything I should be doing and until you make the crafting table and figure out how to actually use it and that it can show you things you don't have the pieces to make yet you're not actually doing anything.

back in my day the crafting table didn't even show you the recipes, you just had to memorize them or get them from the wiki

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

back in my day the crafting table didn't even show you the recipes, you just had to memorize them or get them from the wiki

back in my day, the items didn't even have names and we had to jump back and forth up hills so green it'd blind ya

you kids and yer new fangled easy modes :bahgawd:

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Assuming it does in fact come out I'm sure Skull and Bones will qualify

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I will admit that I forgot Minecraft added the recipe book and a notification system that says things like "open the inventory with [key]". I will note that the 'crafting grid' of the default inventory still isn't labeled as such [or rather, at all] and until *very* recently, there was simply no hope for someone to figure out how to progress in the game (go to the Nether). Now there are at least ruined portals around to give you an idea, but the difficulties involved in working with Obsidian makes trial-and-error to repair a portal or build one from scratch renders the blind-playthough-er hopeless. And how does one open a legit portal? And if you repaired a world-spawn ruined portal, why isn't it working now? [Probably because you didn't replace the crying-obsidian blocks they generate with]

It's kinda amazing to me that all this is just sort of institutional knowledge at this point and it's very easy to forget that people don't come to the game knowing these things.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
For more recent games, the newly-out Marauders has a grid-type inventory that we have been seeing since at least Diablo 1, but you can't drag-replace items (drag item A to item B and they swap places). Come the HECK on

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thompsons posted:

Assuming it does in fact come out I'm sure Skull and Bones will qualify

I miss the days when there was framing around the actual visual part of the game that was set aside for UI stuff. It's not the worst of this design's problems but ugh stop pouring sacks of words on top of the viewport

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
My Brother's friend bought a game for us called "Gangsters 2" and nobody could figure out how to play it, no matter how many times we played the tutorial nothing stuck. It was almost as if the game resisted our every attempt to make it do anything, and it never gave us any explanation as to what we were doing wrong. The interface itself was essentially the main cause of this, it gave us all of these buttons and actions but none of them seemed to work.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's not quite a whole interface issue, but any game that has you loot enemies/crates whatever and there's a popup like

quote:

□ Herb
□ Dagger
□ 3 GP
I am never not taking all. Even if inventory management matters, I will just drop the herbs on the ground later. Even if there's a "∆ Take All" button, that's just proof they know you're just taking it, so who cares? Fallout, Horizon, they all do this and I :kratos: every time.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

It's not quite a whole interface issue, but any game that has you loot enemies/crates whatever and there's a popup like

I am never not taking all. Even if inventory management matters, I will just drop the herbs on the ground later. Even if there's a "∆ Take All" button, that's just proof they know you're just taking it, so who cares? Fallout, Horizon, they all do this and I :kratos: every time.

This was actually one of my favorite parts of Fallout 4 because you could mark certain materials as Always Want (Adhesive, looking at you) so even though I'm always hitting Take All on everything, in the 0.5 seconds it takes me to glance at a list of things in a cabinet before my brain slams the Take All button, I can see that Wonderglue happened to be one of those things. Did I ever use the metric fuckton of Adhesive? Who knows! But I did get the opportunity to see that I was, in fact, picking up Adhesive while slamming that button. :buddy:

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Drinkslinger posted:

Warframe's interface is nuts, there are some fun immersion-through-menu-design aspects and it's the only game I know that lets me use MOUSE4 to go back in menus...

...but a lot of screens are total clusterfucks, there are inconsistent designs throughout as a result of a decade of added-then-forgotten systems and as you pointed out nothing is sufficiently explained.

Credit to the devs, they have been doing passes on some stuff to standardize menus and fix QoL.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Also, Cruelty Squad deserves an honorable mention because its interface is utterly wretched, but it's entirely by design and also an integral part of the experience.

Although there were a couple of parts where the interface was actually so obscure and awkward that it was hard to figure certain things out, but that's... also possibly intentional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHm2d3wf8EU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
My least favorite UI design choice is when they show your selected choice by either a highlight or changing the text color, such that in a dialog with only 2 choices you have no idea which one you have selected

It happens frustratingly often in games

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played Warframe during the beta but not for very long, and then went back and played it years later when the entire progression structure had been completely reworked. It threw me into my spaceship and I just had random planets unlocked all over the place but not in the same order that other people did, huge amounts of game content were locked off to me with no indication that they existed anywhere or that I should do specific missions to unlock them, I didn't even know that a majority of the game existed at all until people told me about it.

I'm sure it's more comprehensible if you go through it start-to-finish as a new player today but I doubt it's, well, comprehensible. That game is utterly mind-boggling, it's very, very hard to organically find things in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
warframe is very much not comprehensible, there's a very good reason goons encourage every new player to join the goon clan and ask questions in chat