Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Meme Poker Party posted:

My spicy Italian sausage.

ok but you better have enough for everyone or youre getting a pay cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is important. If not for op than for me

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

You have been given a tremendous gift: you no longer work in retail.

If you want me to call your old boss and tell them to suck the poo poo out of my rear end hole, I'll do it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Being fired sucks but getting out of retail is good. If you've done retail long enough, and you don't have better prospects for whatever reason, you can do a lot worse than getting into inbound call center work. It's, ah, not exactly great where I'm at, and it wasn't the smoothest transition to get into it, but government call center work is objectively the best job I've had yet for pay/work-life balance/etc. and is fantastic compared to my first job at Blockbuster.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

shadowvine118 posted:

Thanks for the support, everyone, I really appreciate it. I spent some time wallowing in self pitty, but I’m pretty sure things will be ok.

I think I need to find a job that isn’t in retail. Apparently, I’m not very good at engaging with customers. It always stressed me out whenever someone even looked at me the wrong way, since I was afraid they’d find some reason to complain, which I guess maybe made things worse?

Honestly, what do people get out of complaining about store employees? Does it make them feel good to get someone in trouble because they didn’t smile and say hi enough?

Most people want to go to a store and look at poo poo without being bothered, yet the marketing guys at corporate want you to engage a customer at least twice, and this pisses the customer off. They just want to look at detergent or self-stirring mugs or whatever. They don't need you to help with that, and if they haven't worked retail before in their lives; they don't understand that you're not harassing them by your own will.

Then you've got the person who will scowl at you when they see you, but will complain when you didn't approach them.

I had a woman in her 50s who got mad when her $9.99 item came out to $10.54. Had she somehow made it to 5 decades without ever having experienced tax? Is she just being a oval office because I was a 17 year old and she wanted any excuse to exert power over someone? Who knows? But now I know that those people are out there, that they vote, and that they are the red blood cells of civilization.

Working retail is a curse, but having worked retail is a gift. You now know more about the world than any doctorate ever will.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Being fired is the best because you now know the absolute least amount of competence required for you to keep a job

Most people have to go their entire lives in fear of losing their job and work way too hard to ensure it doesn't happen, and now you can basically skirt by anxiety-free for every future job for the rest of your life

Be proud, OP

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Hey OP, sorry to hear it happened but it sounds like a blessing.
I was working in a sweatshop that drove me to the edge and the day I quit, I was so calm and sure of myself that when I walked out it felt like a massive weight had come off me. I had no plan B.
Cue freelancing occasionally for a month and then being recommended for one of the best gigs I've ever had, and still do.
Be positive, find your rhythm. Go wander in the world, where people are chugging away at a job they hate (or don't) and observe them. Realise you are momentarily free and revel in your unencumbered state.
Most important tip would be to talk to friends, you will be amazed at the people who will come out of the woodwork to help you. Everything's going to be okay, as you are now way better off than you were, working loving retail.

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 10, 2021

Enoch Root
Aug 28, 2007
Pick up a trade OP

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I got fired and i offered to suck my boss off to keep my job but it made things even more awkward

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Also gently caress your job and your boss they don't deserve you

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

when I got fired from the only job I've been fired from I cried a lot behind the building then got on public transit home, cried a lot there then found another job in the same 48 hours. Hope this helps you OP

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

gently caress your retail job, OP. Getting out of retail is a cleanser for both the mind and soul.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I got fired. It felt so invalidating. Losing the income wasn't even the bad part, it was just like "sorry you're not good enough even for this poo poo job you hate, please get out". It feels awful.

Sorry OP

panictheory
Aug 9, 2006

drugs

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
My previous boss told my coworkers behind my back that I wasn't a hard worker and asked the wrong questions. He made me break down at least seven times. When I asked why we took on a certain project, he dramatically sighed and said "I can't believe I have to tell you this." He routinely bullied staff to the point where considerable staff time was filed out talking them off a ledge. I confronted him about this in front of HR and he didn't deny any of it; rather, he shifted the blame onto me. Then he finally fired me because I put in my annual evaluation that I was at a career crossroads and I wasn't sure where I wanted to go because I felt he was holding me back. Sure career suicide but that's what I felt.

After he fired me I sent a letter to the top two officials at the org saying he'd gotten rid of me (I was on good terms with them) thanking them for their leadership and also outlining all the lovely things he did to staff and all the poo poo he said about those two behind their backs (absolutely all true things; I wouldn't embellish). Maybe not the best idea, but something good might come out of it I hope

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Let's all get fired and start our own business, but with blackjack and hos.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Let's all get fired and start our own business, but with blackjack and hos.

Imagine 4 unemployed goons on the edge of a cliff .... Unemployment works the same way.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme
Don't be down OP.

In the current climate people are desperate for workers so finding another job might be easy, just be honest with your future employer as to what happened rather than have them find out later.

Also, take a moment to think about where you want to be and make steps towards getting there.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Sid Vicious posted:

download the mobile game 'like a dino' and enjoy

That was very cute, good recommend.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

I always brought a big crockpot of vegetarian chili. Easy, cheap, filing, and tasty. The vegetarians at work loved me for it and I started catering the seasoning to them and brought sour cream for all the white people to cool it down.

Also the leftovers after it cooked down all day were really great with chips and some shredded cheese.

Plus then everyone would get farty from all the beans and the people with shared offices got owned, maybe shoulda given me better than a hallway cubicle bitch

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

shadowvine118 posted:

At least I didn’t get fired for stealing, or spouting racial slurs, like some other people.

There's always next time, champ.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I dont participate in potlucks because people live in disgusting pig stys and bitch i don't know how you live/clean.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
How you feelin' today OP? Hope you're enjoying being a free man OP!!!

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Don't worry op I got fired from my last job for a terrible a fuckup and I was down and out about what I was gonna until I literally lucked into a new job with better pay and benefits through no direct action of my own

What is trying to say is fail upwards it always works

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
the only time I've been fired from was when I briefly worked fast food after HS. A customer heard me say "gently caress!" one time, complained directly to the corporate line, who then directed my GM to fire me for violating company policy.

lol shitcanned for saying a word once

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Revins posted:

the only time I've been fired from was when I briefly worked fast food after HS. A customer heard me say "gently caress!" one time, complained directly to the corporate line, who then directed my GM to fire me for violating company policy.

There are no greater group of psychos than otherwise powerless people given the opportunity to gently caress with retail people

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Revins posted:

there are some words that should get you shitcanned

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

ante posted:

oh agreed on that

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

ante posted:

In b4 "union."

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

caleb posted:

In b4 "union."

lmao

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

When I was 16, I worked as a bag boy (or what they called "utility clerk") at Piggly Wiggly. The manager told me I was on a 6-week probationary period when I was hired. During that time, he kept telling me to cut my hair shorter, and shorter, made me clean the men's room, and hosed up my paycheck. During week 4, I told him, "I don't think this is working out, this is my two weeks notice." He was like, "Uh, okay?" And then two weeks later, I told him it was my last day, and he was like, "WHAT?!" I was so clueless at the time that I thought the 6-week probationary period was mutual and not one-sided. Oops.

I then ended up working in a third-party call center for 9 months. We did outbound calls for Bell South where we sold Caller ID as a monthly service and threw in the caller ID display in for free. Turned out that free caller ID display is something the manager of the call center decided unilaterally without the client's input. She got publicly walked out in front of everyone. Then we did inbound calls for Ameritech, where we only took orders for phone add-ons (caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, etc. each was an additional monthly charge back then). Then a competitor to Ameritech bought the company that ran the call center, and they ended their contract with us. The last thing we did was cold call doctors' offices, hospitals, and schools for Xerox trying to sell an all-in-one "Document Center" that was a copier/printer/scanner/fax/etc. and cost somewhere between $10k-$20k. We didn't actually sell the machines, we just set up appointments for them to talk to someone from Xerox. It was the worst. All we did was call the same business twice a day, their receptionist yelled at us, and we couldn't accept "not interested" from anyone but the doctor or purchasing manager or whatever themselves. The receptionists' job was to keep people like us from bugging those people, so it got... weird.

Eventually we started running out of numbers and getting allowed to go home early. Most of us were high schoolers, so we loved it. Then one day I showed up to work and there was a note taped on the door that basically said the call center is closed and effectively immediately you are no longer employed. :thumbsup:

So not really fired, more like laid off.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

My buddy basically walked into a new job at the postal service. Here in the states, they're part of a union and the pay+benefits are pretty good. Its a hard job, but it's better than loving retail. Maybe give that poo poo a shot (after you take a short unemployment vacation).

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

shadowvine118 posted:

‘Anybody got any ideas on how I can cheer up and and ignore my failure of a life?

Hi by the way

Love to see other ladies in GBS, especially unemployed ones like me. :dance:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Spaghett posted:

My buddy basically walked into a new job at the postal service. Here in the states, they're part of a union and the pay+benefits are pretty good. Its a hard job, but it's better than loving retail. Maybe give that poo poo a shot (after you take a short unemployment vacation).

Get ready to work 80 hour weeks for the next two years of your life. After two years it does get better, from what I hear. Never had any of my friends make it to two years though. They'll go out of their way to make life miserable until you quit.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Did you poop too much at work?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

OP I got fired from a corporate chef job after they hired some ex-navy executive chef who had zero restaurant experience. I called him out for not knowing what he was doing and then had crosshairs on my back for a few months. The guy was an exec chef and didnt know what a bechamel was.

He tried to get other employees to spy on me. They pretty much immediately informed me of it. He then held some bullshit "performance review" which was just to establish a paper trail.

It was all so clear that the guy just didnt like me and wanted to build his own team. He brought in a number of spineless chefs that would "yes chef" him all day long. One of them got fired for sending dick pics to a straight employee, which angered and confused his fiancee.

Eventually he let me go when a fryer dripped on the floor overnight. He accused me of leaving the place looking like a disaster or some other hyperbolic nonsense.

Getting fired ended upbeing a turning point in my life. I went to cook for a kids summer camp, so i could recharge the spiritual batteries. I ended up meeting my now wife (director not a camper) while there, and moving country. Ive changed careers and life has never been better.

Deffo sign up for unemployment ASAP. The sooner you sign up the sooner you get a check. Even if you dont need it, its good to have that extra bit rolling in for groceries and bills. If youre able, take a bit of time to process, but dont wallow. I think I wallowed for 2 days and it was just wasted time. I couldve been enjoying myself.

Youll be fine OP. See it as an opportunity, a kick in the rear end, or the universe telling you that you were on thr wrong path. Shell be right mate.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I was also fired recently, OP. It sucks and I've been kinda aimless for a few weeks. Probably gonna have to get a job in fast food or a warehouse pissing in bottles for minimum wage.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Not a single one of you has been fired out of a cannon like the clowns you are!!! SHAMEFUL

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Sorry to hear this OP. Keep posting bro. Good luck out there, lots of opportunities. You will grow stronger.

Also the answer to the pot luck dish dinner is "the smash mouth cd where they sing all star"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Tonight op I'm making handmade pasta with lemon cream sauce and jumbo shrimp. Why? Because I deserve it and I enjoy making pasta

I hope you recognize that you deserve this food or whatever your favorite food is too and that you're worth a way better job than that shithole you just left

I'll post a pic when it's done but in the meantime here's the pasta