Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Smythe posted:

our tax dollars at work. incredible.

It has a similar vibe to those US military aircraft boneyard satellite photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

etalian posted:

holy poo poo

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

etalian posted:

but how will we pay for medicare for all

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

watch these get stripped of weapons and armor and turned into buses.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

love to see an empire crumble in real time

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

etalian posted:

well, if you told me if I fumble this mysterious key in one of these and that the engine would turn over, I'd definitely be walking around to each and every plane

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

yellowcar posted:

Even more :ironicat: how Bagram back in the day was the biggest Soviet Union military base as part of their failed invasion of Afghanistan

https://www.reuters.com/world/bagram-soviet-built-air-strip-that-became-americas-main-afghan-base-2021-07-02/

quote:

In the early years of the war under President George W. Bush, the CIA used Bagram as a "black site" detention centre for terrorism suspects, subjecting them to abuse that President Barack Obama would later acknowledge as torture.

Later, as the U.S. and NATO presence in Afghanistan grew, so did the base. A second runway was built, with permanent barracks, gyms and a Pizza Hut.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oh so you lose one little war and suddenly your empire is crumbling, huh? well guess what, america's lost a dozen wars and it's still around and kicking, and it will lose a dozen more before all is said and through.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

torture site pizza hut

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maya Fey posted:

torture site pizza hut

The torture was making prisoners eat authentic midwest food until they confess.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I want to loot an abandoned army base but I also feel like if I ever get the opportunity then i'm living on borrowed time

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i wish they could give me one of the cool trucks. i would like to drive it around

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Smythe posted:

i wish they could give me one of the cool trucks. i would like to drive it into stuff

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I wonder how far I could get a gently used fighter jet before I died assuming nobody shot me down, like how far could I fly that thing before I just crashed into a mountain or would I even be able to get it airborne

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

blatman posted:

I wonder how far I could get a gently used fighter jet before I died assuming nobody shot me down, like how far could I fly that thing before I just crashed into a mountain or would I even be able to get it airborne

do u know how to fly a plane... ?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Smythe posted:

no but im sure there's a youtube tutorial for it i can just watch the video while i'm picking out a fighter jet

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

torture site pizza hut

I'm at the Pizza Hut
I'm at the Torture Site
I'm at the combination Pizza Hut and Torture Site

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Not So Fast posted:

I'm at the Pizza Hut
I'm at the Torture Site
I'm at the combination Pizza Hut and Torture Site

it's the overseas franchise of Comet Ping Pong

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

yellowcar posted:

afghanistan is where empires go to die. can't wait to see what china does there

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

And another thing: we didn't lose. Please don't put in the newspaper that we lost.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

watch these get stripped of weapons and armor and turned into buses.

It'll be the only public transit system in the world that will guarantee your life in occurrence of an explosion or your money back.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Blaisedell posted:

afghanistan is where empires go to die. can't wait to see what china does there

they won't do poo poo no matter how much the nyt wants them to

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah China’s plan so far is just “here is some money if you let us mine and don’t shoot at us, also stay out of xinjiang”

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Smythe posted:

i've played all the ace combat games for playstation that has to count for something right

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

thread needs more pictures

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

blatman posted:

no but im sure there's a youtube tutorial for it i can just watch the video while i'm picking out a fighter jet

ok the first step is to install DCS

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah China’s plan so far is just “here is some money if you let us mine and don’t shoot at us, also stay out of xinjiang”

one weird trick. we call this the "Afghanistan Empire Skip"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s loving July, why was Christmas poo poo still there

every day is christmas for u.s warmongers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Man they need to make a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game set in the country now

There was even an official tie-in spin-off novel that did that, which is now its own thing

https://stalker.fandom.com/wiki/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:_Southern_Comfort

quote:

The story is set in 2014, eight years after the Zone came into existence around the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and two years after the events in Call of Pripyat. In the book's alternate reality, terrorists detonate nuclear warheads in Kabul, Afghanistan. After a few years, rumor starts spreading about a New Zone having been created there. Because nuclear fallout alone cannot create a Zone, The Ukrainian Academy of Sciences sends an expedition into the New Zone to find out if its creation could be connected to another rift in the noosphere. When they disappear, Major Degtyarev sends out Captain Tarasov (in 2014: Major) on a search-and-rescue mission. As the Southern Comfort webpage explains, "the USSR's Afghan war is largely forgotten in the West, nonetheless it was the other disaster that had led to the downfall of the Soviet empire. Just like Chernobyl, it scarred the bodies and souls of a whole generation... Besides, the war in the 80's left so much Soviet [war] debris behind that many places there feel exactly like the Zone. Several characters are old acquaintances from the Zone, too, including the protagonist himself."

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Comfort-Zones-Alienation-Book-ebook/dp/B009HBY7LQ/

quote:

Somewhere in the former USSR lies a place called the Zone of Alienation: a secret area where physical laws are outright broken and mysterious phenomena manifest.

In 2011, Al Qaeda detonates nuclear warheads in Kabul. In the wake of devastation another Zone is apparently created. A scientific expedition tries to find out if the new phenomena could be connected to the first Zone of Alienation. When the researchers disappear, a search and rescue operation is launched.

For Mikhail Lazarov, commander of the Russian special forces trying to contain the Zone of Alienation, this land of lush decay is his home turf. But when he sets out on his mission into the New Zone, he soon finds himself facing perils he has never encountered before. His mission becomes a struggle against evil permeating the wastelands, confronted with the shadows of the country's troubled history at each step. Lazarov encounters unlikely friends and foes alike: outcasts, adventurers, renegade US Marines and a mysterious woman who appears to be the keeper of dark secrets. But beyond all the perils, the ultimate danger awaits: betrayal.

The noir, post-apocalyptic narrative of Southern Comfort takes the reader on a contemporary voyage into the heart of darkness, where not only the laws of physics are bent but the rules of the outside world as well. This is an alternative reality where outcasts prevail, the oppressed take revenge and the most faithful revolt.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

"Now"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

has that airbase fallen yet?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The faces of men who've gotten some good-rear end chairs for free.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/middle_east/2021-07-02/pokemon-go-bagram-troop-withdrawal-2027917.html

quote:

Digital rodents and abandoned Pokemon presided over the streets of Bagram Airfield on the day news broke that U.S. troops had left the base.

All U.S. forces have left Bagram, which for much of the past 20 years was the largest military base in Afghanistan, U.S. defense officials announced Friday. But the animated critters and some of what’s left on base are visible in digitally animated form through the game app Pokemon Go.

The game allows players to walk to real-life locations and catch or battle digital monsters, who can be found using the app’s barebones version of Google Maps. Some of the Pokemon left by U.S. soldiers remain at their posts.

Normally, players must be physically in the area to use their Pokemon. But Stars and Stripes obtained screenshots from a hacked version of the game in which the user changed the game’s GPS coordinates to Bagram.

Bagram once had a thriving Pokemon Go community of troops, contractors and civilians who played the game while exercising and after work.

“We weren’t expecting Pokemon Go to be thriving in Bagram, and yet it was,” recalled U.S. Army Spc. Corey Olsen, an electrical technician for attack helicopters who played the game with others from his shop in 2019.

Playing the game offered a chance to catch Pokemon in Afghanistan that can’t be caught in America, as some monsters can only be found in certain regions.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 90 days!
i wanna hear more of that interview with afghan conan obrien

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You either come home from Afghanistan in a coffin or in a PokeBall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Who got more hosed over, the South Vietnamese or the Afgans? Cause I think it might be the Afghans by a country mile