Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
^^ oh hell yeah! welcome new Seattle fans! I am definitely going to be visiting your city to catch a game in their first season.

yeah I'll play for sure

the trick is to not think about the names you are selecting or do any real analysis.. just pick based on your gut and name recognition. This will put you in the same mindset as a real NHL front office.

**For clarification: "(2) For the poster whose selections do the best over the course of the 2021-2022 season, you will win a fantastic selection of Seattle Kraken merch!!!"

is this specifically for players who are correctly predicted to be selected by the Kraken? like.. you sum up the points of the players on Seattle your predicted? or are you summing points for players on any teams.. I'm just asking because predicting point totals is not necessarily the same thing as predicting the players Seattle will take..

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I put in my entry, My team comes in at 52 million on the cap currently but with 8 RFA / UFA contracts to sign it will be comfortably over the minimum.

I went for what Starsfan would do if he were the GM of the Kraken more than what I think Ron Francis will do or what the maximum number of theoretical points you could pick for next year is :D

**If you are struggling on filling out your roster I would probably start by picking the 10-20 or w/e selections you feel confident in, and then looking up the mock expansion drafts that websites like the athletic and evolving hockey have put out to get some ideas on the remaining teams of which players are in contention. There will be more of these mock drafts to come out in the next couple days too :)

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 19, 2021

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I think the toughest picks I had (in terms of not being sure if there was a player worth picking to play on a NHL roster) was from the Islanders and my Dallas Stars for what that's worth. Alot of the worst teams in the league intentionally left decent players unprotected for some unknowable reason...

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

VOTE1 posted:

I think the key here is using a few picks to be leaders/core of the AHL side and not actually trying to find a NHL player.

I went with the best player available approach, with consideration to cap flexibility. So yeah, I ended up with a team where Shayne Gostisbehere is the 10th defenseman on the roster lol. The idea would be you can trade these highly desirable contracts (and maybe Gostisbehere isn't the best example of a highly desirable contract but you get the idea) after the expansion draft to practically anyone for picks or prospects if need be and from there you can populate your AHL roster.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

grack posted:

I tried to choose a reasonable, well-balanced team, meaning I pretty much have no chance of winning anything

you'll probably finish better than me, in very predictable fashion (see all my SA fantasy draft teams) I ended up with a roster full of grindy possession driving 3rd line forwards and 2nd pairing defensemen.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

lol my team is going to be the least accurate prediction

I wish I had waited a couple more days instead of doing it as soon as i had my projection sheet done..

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

whatis posted:

don't worry, you'll just win the other side of the contest where your team scores the most points compared to others' teams

except you wont do that because im going to win instead

Yeah this absolutely won't happen because I picked Yanni Gourde, Jared McCann, and 28 Colin Blackwell's.

**drat I didn't realize that Colin Blackwell scored at almost a 40 point pace last year maybe I will win lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Lol I got 6 correct and apparently outright forgot to pick a Canuck

You also apparently want to try out Sami Vatanen as a goaltender, very ambitious and outside the box thinking.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

lol I finished 2nd last, still better than the actual Kraken

nice :)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I like that we had people in this draft who had never watched hockey before, people who probably picked their teams in 5 minutes while they were high or drunk, people who just went off of the first player they recognized for most the teams cause they didn't give a poo poo outside of their division.. and everyone made the cutoff line for outdoing the Kraken lol

The first season for the Kraken is one that will go down in the history books!

.... also all those people I mentioned managed to beat my team, which I am not as pleased about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Yaya posted:

Would it be possible to calculate the best possible score or would that take too long

This would be tough to do because you would have to take into account anyone who was a free agent last summer and could have theoretically signed with Seattle in lieu of the Kraken picking a player from that team right?

I don't know if any of the lists from that time had all those guys on them.. I guess you could collect all the names with enough work