Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Now I'm going to have to do some research, but I have always followed the no-more-than-25 minute rule for clear. Basically let if flash and lay down your clear, maintaining a wet edge. Painter friends/family taught me it, both learned it from their dad's from back in the "good paint" days. No idea if it holds true now.

Maybe a good question for this guy? https://www.youtube.com/user/nexson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

So... in the boat I'm in, scuff it up, spray another base coat, then immediately go to clear?

Next time I think I'll paint a test piece next time I get weird mixing and matching base and clear coats

Some quick search results on several paint forums gives mixed feedback.
The general recommendation is scuff, base, clear for best results. In a home use case, I would agree - otherwise you have no idea
what contamination has happened in the last ~week.

I did find it interesting at with older paint, manufactures specified "booth time" - as long as it never left the booth, you had weeks between top and base coat.
The theory appeared to be that as collision work (insurance) started bumping jobs based on payout, half completed jobs would be pulled from the booth - causing fading, adhesion, contamination. So manufactures changed the recommendation. Get it as clean as possible once, base, clear, and set.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

StormDrain posted:

You're telling forums user PainterofCrap how best to paint his crap?

I mean, he did mention just rattle caning it :D.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I know this is of little value - but I'm really enjoying watching the progress of this and the investment (time/money/passion) you're putting into it.