Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

That’s a nice looking manifold; is it a factory reproduction or an aftermarket performance unit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

If the ammeter involves routing the current main through it, I am not installing it; however, it appears to have a really thin wire, so I'm assuming for now that it operates like a glorified voltmeter. I'll probably fuse it with at least a 10-A glass inline, though. Maybe 5-A if the wire's really thin.

Any ammeter that age most certainly requires running the full alternator (generator?) power through the gauge. The thin wire may be because the stock electrical system was woefully inadequate. ANY alternator upgrade will likely fry an old ammeter.

That said, you can rig them up to use a shunt. Ammeters are a very useful gauge with old electrical systems so that might be an option for you.

…It would be a lot easier to just switch to a voltmeter.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

300 I6 in that would be awesome, especially if you could score one that’s fuel injected.

Take the windshield out yourself. If it’s anything like mine you just run a razor blade into the gasket all the way around the glass before popping it out. It’s a 5 minute job with a helper.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Every vehicle I’ve ever owned with a proper voltmeter did/does that when a big load hit. My favorite is watching the meter when the wipers go.

Sub-100A alternators just can’t keep up with large instantaneous loads.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Holy crap, a Zune still alive in TYOOL 2022.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

The other idea is to roll up window screening and tuck it in all around the headlamp bucket, but when the headlights are on, they get pretty hot, possibly hot enough to melt plastic screening. I suppose I could try aluminum…

What about LED headlights to cut down on the heat? An added bonus would be reducing the load on that old electrical system.

Holley has some LED headlights now that are specifically designed to look ‘right’ in classic vehicles: https://www.holley.com/products/lighting/headlights/parts/LFRB135

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Please don’t buy cheap Amazon headlights. The expensive ones have actually been tested to show they have an acceptable beam pattern.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

The problem is that doesn’t solve the ‘LED ‘bulbs’ should not be used in incandescent housings’ problem.

LEDs do not throw the same light pattern as a filament and should not be used in housings made for filament bulbs.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

How cold do you get? If not too cold, I would be tempted to buy a tent to do the work in. Home Depot has one that’s big enough to do this work in for about $800. A space heater would bring the temps up a bit and the bondo wouldn’t be inside your garage.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I have a little experience with tents and winter; I used to work for a company that did remote site camps. We used double-walled 12x10 tents with space heaters down below 0*F as sleeping cabins.

All you really need is an air gap and you could get that from taping visqueen to the inside of a tent frame; you’d be surprised how much heat it can hold.

I’ve just heard that having a shop away from home is a quick way to make sure nothing gets done; mix that with a drive back covered in itchy bondo dust and this could take a lot longer than 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Good luck with the sanding. Just one more thing to dread about the holidays.

Thanks for all the pictures of your body work. I’m not looking forward to what I have to do but seeing how you’ve done things is really helpful!