Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
So you said it's grey on white... I'm colorblind and I need to know if that's a joke? It looks red?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

ITT PainterofCrap finds out he's colorblind

... which would make for a hell of a username/"post" combo.

It's ~orange, one side (driver) is a weird mix of mostly primer with some of that orange.

OK that's what I thought, the profile of the drivers side looked grey or silvery gold and that was very confusing. Looks like whatever color was on it is fading away. I skate by a lot of colors and getting contextual clues, and every once in a while I get my brain wrinkled on a wrong color.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Thank you; if fuel will pass through it when it's idle, my inclination is to leave it. However, whoever did mechanical work (and I use the term loosely) was an utter hack and I am amazed she still runs and has not exploded colorfully.

I finally cleaned it with a pressure washer. Hoo boy, was there ever a lot of crap on it from sitting under trees.
Got a few pounds of mulch out of the bed. I wound up removing the tailgate because just leaving it open, unsupported, while water & debris washed over it was enough to deform it so it wouldn't close right. It's in the garage now; doesn't really need one.

The bed is somewhat cheesier with all the load-bearing crud removed. Enough so that I'm contemplating cutting the whole thing out & replacing it. Of course, beds for these are NLA, so I'd either need a donor van (ha!) or find some modern pickup bed that's larger and find a way to cut it to fit.

That's the proper way.

The improper way is to buy a 4x8 sheet of 18-ga from Fazzio's Metal in Williamstown & just drop it in on top of what is there, weld or rivet it down, and put a bed liner on it.

Somewhere in the middle is cutting out the worst of the cheese, and welding in (flat) panels. I looked into getting a bead roller, but they are expensive. I am currently shopping around for metal fabrication shops that will do small jobs like mine: handing then marked-up sheets and having then beadroll them for me. Also shopping for period Ford pickup bed patch panels.

I also have to get mirrors. Backing this thing out of the driveway and parallel-parking it using the hand brake while trying to look over my shoulder was...harrowing.

My son noticed that it appears that the alternator is too big (hitting the doghouse), and that however it's mounted, the bracket is wrong or broken. It's cocked, and the pulley is not aligned properly with the other two.

Also learned how to remove the doghouse for easier access to the engine. So: next outing, I'm pulling the seats and the doghouse to determine what engine I've got, and to access for the alternator, fuel line/pump, and that godawful rotted header.

The skies opened up before I got photos.

I have been plagued with buyer's remorse since yesterday afternoon. The punch list keeps growing...BUT there's plenty of time, I'll never lose money on this thing if I decide to punt.

(I won't. It'll pass.)

Double posting cause I've been thinking on this. There are plenty of bed replacement sheets for other trucks, I'd be surprised if there isn't one you could easily cut down to size.

Oh yeah and sweet project! Such a weird looking vehicle. I'd be tempted to go way over the top and paint it silly. Candy paint with the white on top. No Lamborghini doors or anything.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

You’re doing great! Now that you say that, it does look more silver than primer.

Unlike you with a welding, I will never get better at seeing color. Thank you though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Holy poo poo 80% humidity? Miserable. Nice score on the junkyard.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
And when are you going to put your Christmas basket away?

Also if you're not aware, whisky and cherry 7up is a dirtbags old fashioned. Twist an orange in it if you're fancy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
At least new brake line won't be that difficult to run and the old stuff was probably shot anyway. All the fluid I ran a couple of years ago was already deep red on the Galaxie.

If you're not trying to get a perfect finish I'd say bondo on bondo all day. Te worst case is the old stuff had picked up moisture and is rotting the metal, and that ship has sailed now. I'd hit it with a layer of epoxy primer first because I love it and I've never had adhesion issues under or on top of it.

Also I'd clean and coat the bed with rust encapsulator. I wouldn't want dirt and moisture getting between the layers.

I enjoy your practicality on this project.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Many times while the Binder was ugly and rusting people asked what the plan was and it was along the lines of "just managing the decline". Getting it reasonably comfortable and capable is plenty.

That truck looks fun to drive just based on the geometry.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If you're gonna home-game the paint, look into rolling it on. I've seen some pretty impressive results with some thinned Rust-Oleum on a well prepped surface.

You're telling forums user PainterofCrap how best to paint his crap?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh lord the bondo on duct tape in a rust hole. Big brain stuff there.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My modern truck just has a few drain holes at the front of the bed and it works just fine.

The flatbed got a couple of holes drilled in it as well.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Replacing those brake lines is one my favorite jobs. So satisfying to see a nice clean line like that. Good tip on the ramps.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The tinted UPOL Raptor lining I used on the flatbed still looks good. Especially impressive considering it's white. And I even put real stuff in it, all the supplies to build a shed across a dozen trips, and a couple tailgate parties.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I jumped into painting with kits from TCP Global and the ones that come with mixing cups, strainers and mixers are a great starting point. When I need to paint something small I go "ugh I got to get all this stuff out" and by the time I'm done I realize it wasn't much work and the results are so clean. The results from a well tuned fan pattern with a 50-90% overlap is incredible. Compared to the prep the setup and teardown of the paint is nothing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You'll come around. One day a coupon for the Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun will show up in your inbox and you'll say, "well I do have a big section for primer coming up".

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Mine all got seam sealer underneath. Cures hard and paints fine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
At a passing glance it looks just like the wheel on my Galaxie. Color and all. The spoke alignment is different and the detail on the face side of the wheel is different. The finger nubs and the bump on the spokes is the same though. I'm a little surprised but also understanding that there's not an interchange for it. Also replacements for any other car or truck in that time are not cheap!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
There must be some balance in nature as I just converted my body shop garage back into parking for my wife.

Good luck and that bedliner looks great. After I did mine I'll probably pay someone for the next time, just on the time it took for prep alone.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Ordered. Thank you!

Yes, it’ll be as close to the current metallic orange as I can get. Current candidate is KIA metallic orange.

I’d like to paint the roof white/pearlescent white.

White lid, metallic orange body truck... Sounds good to me!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

I have learned that I am not enthusiastic about this type of work. There is far too much of an art to it. I prefer repairs & restorations where, while there is an element of creativity, there remains a structure: a set beginning, middle (with foul language) and an end. With this...well, at some point after transferring the contents of that can to my vacuum, I'm going to have to throw up my hands and say, "It's done!" and, hopefully, it won't wind up being too terrible.

I'm hoping now, to have it in the paint shop by the 2nd or 3rd week in February. It's getting closer, but I'm going to have to rein in my Type A impulses or we'll be here all year.

I half agree with you on this. With a big block sander and guide coat there is definitely an end to it, and a point where it objectively looks good, not subjectively.

I think you're just at the part right now where you understand it, but you're still getting a feel for it. I've noticed where I can feel the divots and textures a little better, and I can put enough filler on a large enough spot. It takes me like two or three more rounds than it should... But it used to be 4-5.

I also really get into the zone once I get started. I'll sand until my arms are noodles, then stand and look at it for a whole and plan my next run. The feeling when you put a coat of primer over the whole area and it looks great is worth the effort to me.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Any tips or tricks for correcting the line on those fender flares? I started looking for youtubes and watched part of one, it seems that a line of tape around where you want it to meet is part of the equation, but it wasn't the same kind of correction you're doing.

Also a couple of cheap rec's if you're into buying more stuff:

I use this guy a lot for small areas, since it's thin it conforms a little, and you can absolutely wrap around the edge for a small format block https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dura-Block-AF4405-Scruff-Pad-1-Piece-1-2-X-2-1-2-X-5-3-8-In,496261.html

I also have their round block but I haven't had as much opportunity to use it. I think I'd like to try out the radius and teardrop though.

I don't know how you're going to take care of that nose! Can you get a dolly on the backside while you hammer it? You're going to be shrinking a lot of metal getting it back into smoothness that sounds, difficult. I'm not a metal scientist or anything, so maybe it's just fine and dandy with a pointed hammer. Maybe it's 50% hammer 50% bondo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Lol at the durablock box, I have the same one probably and I do not like to see it. Nothing about that box artwork appeals to me. It is not a box of honor. No good deeds are commemorated in its image.

After I watched a chunk of that YouTube video of a guy putting filler on a truck bed I was reminded of the difference between a pro and an amateur. He knew when to quit and when to keep going. I'm out there wasting time sanding when I need to change gears or restart a step, and conversely restarting when I need to keep going. It's all about reps for this job.

The specific example was watching him hit a high point sanding and just stopping to knock it down, clean and apply more filler. I probably would have sanded around that for another fifteen minutes.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Had to take the headlight doors & FORD letters up to Maaco for a test fit. Bodywork is not quite done...

Should be in the booth tomorrow. Roof first, then the orange.

Then it's a race to see if I can get it from there to the glass shop a couple miles away. It's supposed to rain for most of the next week, 50% on Saturday...both the paint shop & the glass shop know it can't be outside.

Please write the dialogue that happened when you took the photo of the bodyperson with your pickup.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Boring or not it's still funny to me, I mostly was curious if you sincerely wanted a photo with him or if it just kinda happened like "hey can I take a photo" and he poses awkwardly while you take it even though it was a misunderstanding.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

My god I thought this had terrible tiger striping until I zoomed in on it and saw it was a reflection of the fence.

Also it looks great and I'm obviously a huge fan of the color combo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Got the truck back last Thursday. They did an excellent job on the glass.

https://i.imgur.com/jkgjJVs.mp4

Looking forward to bring the Bonneville home. Storage ends 4/5. Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday.

Then it's the remaining mechanical list: Brakes, springs, steering alignment. And eventually, a new clutch.

Hey man, not sure if you know it but that thing FUCKIN RULES. Great job. That's going to be a real head turner in any neighborhood. It's such a fun shape, unique and there's not a modern equivalent at all (closest I can think of is the Ford Transit Chassis Cabs with flatbeds that they rent at Home Depot) so it's just completely foreign and delightful to see.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm also voting for white. Classic work trucks had white bumpers instead of chrome, it matches the white lid, and your truck doesn't have a load of chrome which puts it in work truck territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hell yeah those white bumpers POP in the best way.