Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1414067782178775042

ITT: We discuss the ongoing, currently catabolic breakdown of the infrastructure of society because our overlords are too cheap to pay to keep anything working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/teresaiiana/status/1413699221518094340

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
One of my faves, I find his voice soothing: https://youtu.be/5WPB2u8EzL8

Also https://youtu.be/duCF0QE2Oqs

For content, the recent floods have hosed Detroit's roads up even more and sewer drainage moving real slowly on subsequent rains. Looking forward to another winter of water mains bursting and freezing in the streets.

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Jul 12, 2021

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

The aliens rn:

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter

:theroni:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its poo

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

this always made me laugh: http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/ecology/JaredDiamond4.htm

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

infrastructure collapse whips because capital has spent the last ~50 years finalizing their entirely isolated and private infrastructure systems and almost never have to interact with public infrastructure in any way whatsoever. they won't even recognize anything is wrong until the power grid and sanitation systems are so far gone that no one is coming to collect the garbage at their beach houses, at which point I hope that China puts us out of our misery so they can actually carry human civilization into the future

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

StratGoatCom posted:

ITT: We discuss the ongoing, currently catabolic breakdown of the infrastructure of society because our overlords are too cheap to pay to keep anything working.

hmm I'd better stock up on Life Straws then.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i already post in the Epstein, Cool Zone, and Climate Change threads, i don't know what this one offers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mameluke posted:

i already post in the Epstein, Cool Zone, and Climate Change threads

I hope you're doing ok

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

infrastructure collapse whips because capital has spent the last ~50 years finalizing their entirely isolated and private infrastructure systems and almost never have to interact with public infrastructure in any way whatsoever. they won't even recognize anything is wrong until the power grid and sanitation systems are so far gone that no one is coming to collect the garbage at their beach houses, at which point I hope that China puts us out of our misery so they can actually carry human civilization into the future

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im running 2 air conditioners and theres nothing u can do about it mwahahha and also its inefficient since my apartment leaks like a sieve bwahahaha

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i left my bedroom light on before going to work, i've wholeheartedly embraced last-days hedonism

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Smythe posted:

im running 2 air conditioners and theres nothing u can do about it mwahahha and also its inefficient since my apartment leaks like a sieve bwahahaha

*looks at thermostat, turns it up 2 degrees*

im doing my part!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mameluke posted:

i left my bedroom light on before going to work, i've wholeheartedly embraced last-days hedonism

you can just say you're afraid of the dark when you get home

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I mean, we're making mass-scale agriculture basically impossible at the same time that we're wiping out any potential for hunting and gathering, I don't think humanity has much of a future either way.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

institutional capture since the new deal has been so complete that the blood-soaked ghouls smedley butler warned us about all died of natural causes, free as jaybirds, and it turns out they never bothered to teach their legions of failchildren how to maintain their charnel house. now we get to deal with the consequences hmbol

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

you can just say you're afraid of the dark when you get home

but i'm also afraid of the dark at work, that's why i leave the light on

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I mean, we're making mass-scale agriculture basically impossible at the same time that we're wiping out any potential for hunting and gathering, I don't think humanity has much of a future either way.

Communist caravans vs fascist death squads fury road style is gonna own

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

institutional capture since the new deal has been so complete that the blood-soaked ghouls smedley butler warned us about all died of natural causes, free as jaybirds, and it turns out they never bothered to teach their legions of failchildren how to maintain their charnel house. now we get to deal with the consequences hmbol

the one thing that gives me any sort of hope is that the people in charge of anything that might stop a revolution aren't the steely eyed cold warriors knocking over governments for more blow for their weird wife swap parties, but their drooling failsons' drooling failsons whose greatest aspirations are to make a 25k like tweet and drink a celebratory green smoothie about it. everyone at every level and lever of power is so loving stupid and shortsighted that as soon as the american working class gets actually organized they'll be up against the weakest, fattest, dumbest opposition in the history of capitalism

if there's enough of a biosphere to actually matter at the end of it all remains to be seen though

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

the one thing that gives me any sort of hope is that the people in charge of anything that might stop a revolution aren't the steely eyed cold warriors knocking over governments for more blow for their weird wife swap parties, but their drooling failsons' drooling failsons whose greatest aspirations are to make a 25k like tweet and drink a celebratory green smoothie about it. everyone at every level and lever of power is so loving stupid and shortsighted that as soon as the american working class gets actually organized they'll be up against the weakest, fattest, dumbest opposition in the history of capitalism

if there's enough of a biosphere to actually matter at the end of it all remains to be seen though

As ever, the salvation of civilization is a race between the failsons turning everything into coke and the few people trying to organize the revolt needed to take control while there's still something left to save.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 03:58 on Jul 13, 2021

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

StratGoatCom posted:

actually things seem pretty fine to me OP

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3xw3x/new-research-vindicates-1972-mit-prediction-that-society-will-collapse-soon

quote:

A remarkable new study by a director at one of the largest accounting firms in the world has found that a famous, decades-old warning from MIT about the risk of industrial civilization collapsing appears to be accurate based on new empirical data.

As the world looks forward to a rebound in economic growth following the devastation wrought by the pandemic, the research raises urgent questions about the risks of attempting to simply return to the pre-pandemic ‘normal.’

In 1972, a team of MIT scientists got together to study the risks of civilizational collapse. Their system dynamics model published by the Club of Rome identified impending ‘limits to growth’ (LtG) that meant industrial civilization was on track to collapse sometime within the 21st century, due to overexploitation of planetary resources.

The controversial MIT analysis generated heated debate, and was widely derided at the time by pundits who misrepresented its findings and methods. But the analysis has now received stunning vindication from a study written by a senior director at professional services giant KPMG, one of the 'Big Four' accounting firms as measured by global revenue....

...Herrington’s new analysis examines data across 10 key variables, namely population, fertility rates, mortality rates, industrial output, food production, services, non-renewable resources, persistent pollution, human welfare, and ecological footprint. She found that the latest data most closely aligns with two particular scenarios, ‘BAU2’ (business-as-usual) and ‘CT’ (comprehensive technology).

“BAU2 and CT scenarios show a halt in growth within a decade or so from now,” the study concludes. “Both scenarios thus indicate that continuing business as usual, that is, pursuing continuous growth, is not possible. Even when paired with unprecedented technological development and adoption, business as usual as modelled by LtG would inevitably lead to declines in industrial capital, agricultural output, and welfare levels within this century.”

Study author Gaya Herrington told Motherboard that in the MIT World3 models, collapse “does not mean that humanity will cease to exist,” but rather that “economic and industrial growth will stop, and then decline, which will hurt food production and standards of living… In terms of timing, the BAU2 scenario shows a steep decline to set in around 2040.”...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

who cares what a bunch of eggheads think

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/14/1015800103/a-study-predicts-record-flooding-in-the-2030s-and-its-partly-because-of-the-moon

Given the aforenoted cheapness and escalating climate, this may well shave at least a few years off the timeline before civilization significantly destabilizes, as it will disrupt several supply chains and may contribute to internal and international refugee numbers. One of the bigger factors in catabolic collapse is that the slack in the system used to have that allowed it to recover has not been maintained.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 03:59 on Jul 15, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah ok all of a sudden the Moon is doing global warming now

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
THANK gently caress but it'll be fine.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this is all the fault of those damnable baby witches

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

babypolis posted:

this is all the fault of those damnable baby witches

this was the dumbest most loser poo poo in the world when it was new, and its even stupider now. ultimate fail. Oooohhh teehee Baby Witches! How Fabulous! gently caress off.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Smythe posted:

this was the dumbest most loser poo poo in the world when it was new, and its even stupider now. ultimate fail. Oooohhh teehee Baby Witches! How Fabulous! gently caress off.

You are now cursed to mod qcs forever

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
quote is not edit

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 06:55 on Jul 15, 2021

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Mameluke posted:

i already post in the Epstein, Cool Zone, and Climate Change threads, i don't know what this one offers

Much like how capitialism offers 200 different kinds of breakfast cereal, c-spam does the same for flavors of doom.

Those you mentioned were the Pedo, Cop, and Wildfire(berry) flavors. This one would be chocolate (that is the color of the water).

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

https://www.thecut.com/2020/07/some-tiktok-baby-witches-apparently-tried-to-hex-the-moon.html

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1415133969255960578?s=20

Goddamn witches

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the moon is only barely real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

indigi posted:

yeah ok all of a sudden the Moon is doing global warming now

More that moon weirdness mixed with global warming is not a combo we wanna see.