Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I hope the moon pulls a Majora's mask on us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Ronwayne posted:

Much like how capitialism offers 200 different kinds of breakfast cereal, c-spam does the same for flavors of doom.

Those you mentioned were the Pedo, Cop, and Wildfire(berry) flavors. This one would be chocolate (that is the color of the water).

Not only that, but there is a synthesis between every different flavor that we can add up to determine the shape of the doom.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

the one thing that gives me any sort of hope is that the people in charge of anything that might stop a revolution aren't the steely eyed cold warriors knocking over governments for more blow for their weird wife swap parties, but their drooling failsons' drooling failsons whose greatest aspirations are to make a 25k like tweet and drink a celebratory green smoothie about it. everyone at every level and lever of power is so loving stupid and shortsighted that as soon as the american working class gets actually organized they'll be up against the weakest, fattest, dumbest opposition in the history of capitalism

against the weakest, fattest, dumbest, most heavily armed in all of human history opposition, also, versus the weakest, fattest, dumbest, resistance whose idea of power is: trucks, mcdonalds, and ok guns but there are no blacks or queers at the top; or twitter folk who think power and organization are inherently fascist.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

The United Red Army (連合赤軍, Rengō Sekigun) was a militant organization, that operated in Japan between July 1971 and March 1972.

[...]

The United Red Army had 29 members and lost 14 by killing them in less than a year. Most were members of the New Left.

[...]

Training and treatment of members

Soon after the United Red Army’s formation, two members originally from the Revolutionary Left deserted the group. In order to make an example of the defectors, Nagata arranged their murders with the assistance of other URA members.[9]

In December 1971, by the order of their leader Mori, the URA moved its headquarters to the training camps that the Red Army Faction had previously made use of. Aside from the preparation of their next movements and missions, the group underwent a process known as ‘self-criticism’, a ritual that had become normalized among Left groups in Japan at the time.[9] The original intention of this practice was to allow members of the group to strengthen their alignment with the values and purpose of the cause.[6]

However, Mori quickly introduced an element of violence to this process in keeping with the New Left’s demand for individuals to demonstrate their commitment. The purpose of this violence against members was to test their devotion to the cause. Mori argued that beating members into unconsciousness would allow for them to be reborn with true "communistic subjectivity" when they were brought back to consciousness.[4] Members of the URA expressed their concerns to Mori regarding this practice and the unpredictability as to the consequences of beatings, unsure of an exact way to achieve sending a member into unconsciousness.[3] As such, it was through this process that several group members were killed.

Two members originally from the Revolutionary Left were the first victims of self-criticism. Kato Yoshitaka was selected for self-criticism as he had spoken to police during an earlier interrogation, and Kojima Kazuko for lacking the ability to fight her “bourgeois thinking”.[4] Initially the pair were refused food, and from the 26th to the 27th of December Kato was tied up and beaten by group members.[3] Kojima was also beaten by group members. As Kato had not lost consciousness during the beatings, Mori concluded that he had not achieved self-criticism and so he was tied to a post outside in the harsh mountain climate to suffer further beatings. Once the leaders Nagata and Mori were satisfied that Kato had achieved self-critique he was brought inside. However, he died from his injuries on the 4th of January 1972.[4] This was not before another member, Ozaki Mitsuo, was killed in the self-critique process initiated against him on the 28th of December that resulted in his death two days later.[3]

These violent beatings ultimately saw the death of 12 members of the URA who had been deemed not sufficiently revolutionary. Many of the twelve victims died tied to posts in the open, exposed to the elements, but others were beaten to death or slaughtered with knives. The last death occurred on the 12th of February. The bodies of the victims were buried in the woods nearby their mountain camp.[3]

Fall

The police were able to trace the URA to their mountain hideout. In the surrounding areas, they located the bodies of members that had fallen victim during sessions of self-criticism.

In early February 1972, Mori and Nagata took a trip to Tokyo. Whilst they were away, several URA members took the opportunity to desert the group. On 15 February, remaining group members discovered that police were aware of their whereabouts which led them to leave their training base.[3] During their escape, two members were arrested. Mori and Nagata were also arrested upon return to the base to determine whether any group members remained.[8] The members that had fled the training base took a dangerous route through the mountains to Nagano prefecture in order to avoid leaving traces of footsteps and the strong odor of dead bodies that they carried due to lack of bathing facilities.[4] The following day, the group members split into two groups. One group arrested was shortly after at Karauizawa train station, having been reported by members of the public as suspicious due to their “bedraggled” look.[4]

The remaining group, consisting of five members, were chased by police into a lodge at the base of Mount Asama. Here the members took hostage of the lodge keeper’s wife.[8] A nine-day siege ensued which saw the mountain sealed off and 3 000 riot police on scene. The police did not close in on the group despite several exchanges of gunfire in order to protect the hostage.[8] Before the police cut off power to the lodge after a few days, group members watched media coverage of the siege on TV.[4] On the 28th of February, the tenth and final day of the incident, the police brought in a wrecking ball to destroy the entrance of the lodge and fired water mixed with teargas into the building to assist police in their room-by-room search.[8] After a battle that lasted eight hours and saw two police killed,[4] the members and their hostage were found taking shelter behind a mattress on the top floor of the building.[8] This event was viewed by 90% of Japan's television screens and became known as the Asama-Sanso incident.

Public perception

Initially after the siege, public perception of the group was markedly less negative than what it would become. In the month following the Asama-Sanso incident, there was significant coverage relating to the interrogation of group members. With police having provided information about the group’s killings, media communicated an image of the URA that associated “armed resistance with the murder of comrades”.[6] This saw a shift in public perception.[8] This sentiment was conveyed by a student who was interviewed for one of Japan’s most noteworthy news publications, the Asahi Shimbun. This student remarked "When they were captured without being completely defeated, I thought that they were definitely revolutionaries, and I felt a sense of resistance when adults labelled them a crazed group. But I can’t understand the logic of the lynchings. I lost the will to defend them".[3] Further, another student reported "Although I am, if anything, right wing, I understand the United Red Army members’ feelings ... Whichever way you look at it, Japan resembles a police state. In challenging the system, their battles have to take such [combative] forms".[4]

Convictions

In the initial stages of the investigation, group members refused to give information to police. Mori wrote to police in the month following the Asama Sanso incident to take responsibility for the killings and to ask for the group members bodies to be returned to their families. This was interpreted as an act of weakness by other members of the group, who felt betrayed given that Mori had punished other members for more trivial matters.[3] Following his speaking up, other members began to coöperate with police by providing statements. Each group member was given two options to choose from in how they could be tried by the courts. He or she could remain as in the collective and face a group trial given that the crimes were committed together, or be tried individually although this would result in being perceived as a traitor.[3] Seven members, including Mori, opted to be tried together. However, Mori committed suicide in prison on 1 January 1973 before making it to trial. Bando, one of the seven who had opted to be tried as a group, was released by authorities before trial at the demand of the Japanese Red Army (JRA). The JRA also demanded the release of Sakaguchi; however, he chose to remain to face trial,[3] Another two of the seven defected before trial, leaving only Nagata, Sakaguchi and Uegaki to face collective trial. Nagata and Sakaguchi were ultimately sentenced to death, whilst Uegaki received a 20-year sentence.[3]

Nagata died on 5 February 2011 from brain cancer while still being held in a detention facility. As of 2013, Sakaguchi is still alive in prison after an unsuccessful appeal of his sentence.[10]

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1332873432468492288

We're gonna see a bipartisan push for euthanasia, 'voluntary' from the succ in coming years as a result of this plague during our downward spiral into barbarism.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

living through history owns

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

StratGoatCom posted:

Not only that, but there is a synthesis between every different flavor that we can add up to determine the shape of the doom.

the Dr Pepper of doom.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

We're gonna see a bipartisan push for euthanasia, 'voluntary' from the succ in coming years as a result of this plague during our downward spiral into barbarism.

i dont think is too far off. you can see this sentiment bubbling up here and there even on these forums. i can even feel it a bit lurking in the corners of my own brain.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
I saw too many of those people, even coworkers, when I was in social services. People just thinking "You annoy me, therefore you should die" to those least able to defend themselves from it.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Jul 19, 2021

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/KateandCRPS/status/1417353421347250176

I ain't exaggerating that that poo poo was gonna be bipartisan, or pushed.

This hits really hard as a disabled person too, I might add.

quote:

i dont think is too far off. you can see this sentiment bubbling up here and there even on these forums. i can even feel it a bit lurking in the corners of my own brain.

May be worth broaching making it probe-a-ble with the other buttonhavers.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Please don't pooping into fish, it kills them. :(
https://twitter.com/tomaskenn/status/1417222099022778368

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

StratGoatCom posted:

rahm emmanuel’s brother is already writing op eds about this

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

StratGoatCom posted:

It rhymes, louder and dumber each time.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Smythe posted:

Kill the fascist in ur head every day.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I don't want people to die :( I just don't want to get in like a car accident away from my medical records and health care directive telling ppl to pull the goddamn plug if I have like no more than a couple days to live but uh let's keep them alive to see if we can maybe make a more ethical decision later after 12 hours of pain that feels like 14 eternities

tl;dr put a microchip in me with my health care directive idgaf at this point everyone wants to die and I don't want to live in 12 hours of pain that feels like 14 eternities after a car accident where my health care directive is not readily available

Euthanasia loving owns

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

StratGoatCom posted:

May be worth broaching making it probe-a-ble with the other buttonhavers.
*out of breath rushing into QCS from Discord* No. Thread locked.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Private Cumshoe posted:

I don't want people to die :( I just don't want to get in like a car accident away from my medical records and health care directive telling ppl to pull the goddamn plug if I have like no more than a couple days to live but uh let's keep them alive to see if we can maybe make a more ethical decision later after 12 hours of pain that feels like 14 eternities

tl;dr put a microchip in me with my health care directive idgaf at this point everyone wants to die and I don't want to live in 12 hours of pain that feels like 14 eternities after a car accident where my health care directive is not readily available

Euthanasia loving owns

The issue is that there is a perverse incentive to pressure the disabled, the unpopular and the livable but expensive to treat to take that instead; this has been a real world problem in the Neatherlands.

https://medium.com/@flaviadzodan/euthanasia-as-a-dutch-neoliberal-success-story-23c0a1e13940

It's classic neoliberalism, using social pressure and market forces to achive just as oppressive an effect as gross state power. I mean, look at the post upthread about how it is in beaverland. It is undeniable that there would be a strong economic incentive to push for this.

TL;DR, euthanasia is another thing capitalism ruined.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 12:15 on Jul 28, 2021

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
It's depressing that it's an impossible issue for the law to deal with, and that the reality of social pressure means economic factors will dominate anyway

I just hope someone has the courage to do the right thing if I'm being tortured much longer than I need to be because some rear end in a top hat doctor or whoever calls zygotes babies

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Euthanasia good if that's what you want. Bad if somebody is coercing you.

Unfortunately this can't be squared in a capitalist system, because there's money to be saved by convincing people to log off.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1420764473036582921

This is something to be viewed with some alarm, as there is a genuine risk of a collapse of order in the states as a result, if this happens under some models.

A temporary collapse of order in the states knocks at least 5 years off the collapse timeline, at least. I ain't even getting into a more lasting one.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/smdiehl/status/1422514498250940416

It goes into a bit of detail for the parallels between the Albanian pyramid schemes and crypto.

A further potential kindling to the fire, as it's impossible to know how many yanks have exposure here, let alone elsewhere; with ETH on sced for a POS conversion q4-q1, crypto is already on a fuse of uncertain length.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Aug 3, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

staticman posted:

Please don't pooping into fish, it kills them. :(
https://twitter.com/tomaskenn/status/1417222099022778368

people in florida also unload their black-tanks from their yachts close to shore all the time

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nonsense posted:

people in florida also unload their black-tanks from their yachts close to shore all the time

cruise ships do this as well

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/guardianeco/status/1423302411792179210

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Owned

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
all i can say is:

lol

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 05:21 on Aug 6, 2021

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1424687732367007747

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Voting worked comrades

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1424035730897129481?s=20

sure is!

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
no that's our present

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Smythe posted:

Yup, look how popular denying medical care to anti-vaxxers is already. Like I hate them too, but if that aint a slippery slope...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's not

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Vasukhani posted:

Yup, look how popular denying medical care to anti-vaxxers is already. Like I hate them too, but if that aint a slippery slope...

I think you'll find people are being denied medical care regardless of their beliefs about vaccines

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Private Cumshoe posted:

I think you'll find people are being denied medical care regardless of their beliefs about vaccines

Oh yeah. But there are a ton of libs just desperate to decide who a useless eater is, luckily non of them seem to be health care professionals...

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Vasukhani posted:

Oh yeah. But there are a ton of libs just desperate to decide who a useless eater is, luckily non of them seem to be health care professionals...

Lol doctors and nurses love eugenics, almost as much as they do unethical medical experiments

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I dunno. Someone shot the gently caress out of our power substation and the power company fixed it after 5 or 6 hours. So sometimes they fix stuff a little bit.

On the other hand, I'm aware of a rural bridge that's been out for at least three or four years now and they just put up a sign instead of fixing that.

E: https://goo.gl/maps/REwv4D2RT7gR5CaX8 this is what the bridge looked like in 2009 and it definitely should have been allowed to look like that, ever.

Fluffy Bunnies has issued a correction as of 06:59 on Aug 10, 2021

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Just two days after the IPCC report:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/11/as-gas-prices-rise-white-house-says-opec-action-is-simply-not-enough-calls-for-ftc-scrutiny.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXqPNlng6uI

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1425629659342024708

An elaboration on previously made points.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
stretch Armstrong Twitter account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1431066157595996164

Inflection point get.