Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

the sex ghost posted:

looks like headers are being phased out at youth level and pros are being limited to 10 headers a week

not sure how header rationing is going to be enforced but will be interesting to see what set pieces look like going forward. I'll miss big beefy bullet headers, RIP

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Cons - no more centre forwards sprinting into the box to smash home a header that takes two defenders and the keeper with it

Pros - no centre forwards potentially doing a Chris Benoit

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Cons - no more centre forwards sprinting into the box to smash home a header that takes two defenders and the keeper with it

Pros - no centre forwards potentially doing a Chris Benoit

Con: Less of a chance of John Terry gets kicked in the face again

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Games where defenders can't head balls clear would be a fun watch. Would change things dramatically at lower levels.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Seems this is just during training, not games.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jakabite posted:

Seems this is just during training, not games.

One would assume that there'll come a point in the future when we'll be watching lads who've been trained not to head the ball from under 8s all the way to the pros and I'll be sat in my recliner shouting at my grandkids saying 'remember headers what were they all about' and they send me to prison for saying the h word

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cool, cool. Just give them all Playstation controllers and be done with it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Surely Petr Cech hats or something would be better for frequent ball headerers

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Imagine if headers were banned. Literally just take shots above the ground and defenders can’t do poo poo

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Bape Culture posted:

Imagine if headers were banned. Literally just take shots above the ground and defenders can’t do poo poo

Allow people to use their hands problem solved

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
In the same way that Liverpool's entire back line and goalkeeper quit as soon as they banned back passes is Harry Maguire considering his options as we speak

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'll admit to not having read up on the topic so maybe it's been very clearly determined already, but how much of the damage attributed to headers is really because of all the other contact around headed balls? Elbows, heads, flying keepers, falls, etc.? There are clearly different types of headers that will have different effects (flicked/glancing vs powerheading a corner through the keeper's hands). Seems like an over reaction after a kid took a free kick in the face and somebody said this is what happens every time someone touches a ball with their head!!! Didn't the ball use to be a lot heavier too?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think it's related to the research from the various egg chasing sports that the issue is repeated low grade impacts as much as it's single hard impacts.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bape Culture posted:

Solve the problem by cutting the height of the goal in half

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kevin doyle retired as recently as 2017 as a result of the damage from headers. He says in this article he was avoiding doing it altogether in training if he could

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/ex-soccer-star-doyle-reveals-full-extent-of-head-injury-trauma-36464480.html

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Jose posted:

kevin doyle retired as recently as 2017 as a result of the damage from headers. He says in this article he was avoiding doing it altogether in training if he could

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/ex-soccer-star-doyle-reveals-full-extent-of-head-injury-trauma-36464480.html

OK that certainly sucks. Is this just another thing that bodies have to withstand to play at a professional level, the way that most people's ankles and knees would just turn to dust after a season of high-level sport? I'm not suggesting that we should encourage players to risk neurological damage, just wondering how many promising athletes wound up with undiagnosed head trauma issues in the past.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

greazeball posted:

OK that certainly sucks. Is this just another thing that bodies have to withstand to play at a professional level, the way that most people's ankles and knees would just turn to dust after a season of high-level sport? I'm not suggesting that we should encourage players to risk neurological damage, just wondering how many promising athletes wound up with undiagnosed head trauma issues in the past.

That Doyle article is misleading because it doesn't say anything about how his brain trauma started, other than being Irish.

He could have gotten kicked/elbowed in the face a decade ago and that's when symptoms started to manifest and the consistent heading of the ball just exacerbated it. He even says in the article that his most serious issue was from blocking a clearance, not intentionally heading the ball. Also that he was constantly hiding his issues from a neurologist.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I can't decide which would be the greater outrage against everything football is and stands for, players wearing protective headgear or headers being banned

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Surely Petr Cech hats or something would be better for frequent ball headerers

Not at all. A helmet protects from cuts, scrapes and that one bad hit that's going to crack your skull. It's not going to do anything about the damage to the brain caused by repeated concussive impact. The force still all goes into your head.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

By eliminating headers you also reduce the risk of an errant elbow in the face unless you are facing Felani

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

By eliminating headers you also reduce the risk of an errant elbow in the face unless you are facing Felani

Fellaini's chest control if you eliminate headers though, he'd be unstoppable.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

sassassin posted:

Not at all. A helmet protects from cuts, scrapes and that one bad hit that's going to crack your skull. It's not going to do anything about the damage to the brain caused by repeated concussive impact. The force still all goes into your head.

If anything. Studies suggest extra padding encourages players to go harder at things.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Fellaini's chest control if you eliminate headers though, he'd be unstoppable.

Felani-running-the-ball-out.gif

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

If anything. Studies suggest extra padding encourages players to go harder at things.

See: NFL, Boxing, NHL.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Felani-running-the-ball-out.gif

What does that have to do with his chest control?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
The limit is only for training, so it’s not exactly a big loss.

Do players actually drill high speed headers in training? I have no real clue, but it seems like this may not even be that big of a departure from what teams are already doing.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Everyone watching in horror as a rogue player decides to seal dribble into the box

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

What does that have to do with his chest control?

Oh i actually misread chest control and thought you said had just said control

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the changes to training are only for stuff like crosses/free kicks/corners anyway from the sounds of it so its mostly big sam and tony pulis who're getting hosed

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

the changes to training are only for stuff like crosses/free kicks/corners anyway from the sounds of it so its mostly big sam and tony pulis who're getting hosed

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

whistle and dead ball anytime the ball goes 18" off the ground. soccer is now mandatory tiki taka

gently caress it change the ball to a futsal one to accommodate this change

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if the ball goes above head height you're legally required to catch it and drop it on the ground

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

if the ball goes above head height you're legally required to catch it and drop it on the ground

Whose head though?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Shrapnig posted:

Whose head though?

As if Crouch would bother trying to head a ball.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

blue footed boobie posted:

The limit is only for training, so it’s not exactly a big loss.

Do players actually drill high speed headers in training? I have no real clue, but it seems like this may not even be that big of a departure from what teams are already doing.

shearer and rooney are two noteable cases who drilled headers a lot in training. rooney famously did it before that one season where he scored all the headed goals

i think there could be an equilibrium where headers aren't banned but are way scaled back, not sure what it is though. it's undeniable that football, like MMA, is going to give some players CTE and lifelong issues but it's tough to see a way to change that

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shrapnig posted:

Whose head though?

He's jumping... right? RIGHT??

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Vintersorg posted:

He's jumping... right? RIGHT??

Yeah SWP is probably jumping there

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Give each player a massive full face helmet that is modelled on their head but x2 scale. Unfortunately this will mean every prem club will need to widen their tunnel for Harry maguire but this is a project worth undertaking imo

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Bape Culture posted:

Give each player a massive full face helmet that is modelled on their head but x2 scale. Unfortunately this will mean every prem club will need to widen their tunnel for Harry maguire but this is a project worth undertaking imo

Imagine if you had Maguire and Joe Royle in the same team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Joe Hart has an underappreciatedly big head too