Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ansible Adams posted:

yaml is fine :colbert:

it's really not as bad as old people make it out to be

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

carry on then posted:

it's really not as bad as old people make it out to be

nothing is as bad as i make it out to be, but it's still bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ansible Adams posted:

yaml is fine :colbert:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
shaggar and rotor were right

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yaml is like someone saw json and thought "this rules too much, let me make a shittier version"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

akadajet posted:

yaml is like someone saw json and thought "this rules too much, let me make a shittier version"

"You know what json needs? Comments. Also as long as i'm doing new stuff, here's a bunch of terrible choices."

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

you, a moron: `kubectl exec -it my-lovely-pod-0 -- /bin/bash`

me, a genius: `oc rsh my-cool-pod-0`

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you sayin a nete made these kubers??

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Lol at writing configuration files in XML

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

abigserve posted:

Lol at writing configuration files in XML

it supports comments and it's not yaml

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
kuberneteeznutz

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

carry on then posted:

my beef with openshift is that they seem to feel the need to NIH like loving everything and entirely control the product. i know dealing with k8s oss governance can kinda suck but goddamn you don't need to replace the ENTIRE user-facing part of the ecosystem (unless you intentionally want to do this to get lockin and consulting $$$ where you're the one billing all the consultants, which given IBM is... yeah). this poo poo probably could have been a kubectl plugin

dealing with the idiosyncrasies of EKS versus GCP versus roll-your-own is enough of its own workload but at least the UX part is the same, and i don't need to know about whatever OpenShift's replacement tooling or CRs are, esp since the OpenShift users seem to be less familiar with what they're doing and can't translate their questions to vanilla k8s terms at all. kubectl and a lot of the prominent stock tooling aren't so bad that they desperately need a replacement; they usually have enough people working with them that the UX pain gets hammered out over time

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dont know what anything in this thread is about :hchatter:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hifi posted:

dont know what anything in this thread is about :hchatter:

janitoring in the cloud

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

what happens if you just -i or -t but not both

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

my beef with openshift is that they seem to feel the need to NIH like loving everything and entirely control the product. i know dealing with k8s oss governance can kinda suck but goddamn you don't need to replace the ENTIRE user-facing part of the ecosystem (unless you intentionally want to do this to get lockin and consulting $$$ where you're the one billing all the consultants, which given IBM is... yeah). this poo poo probably could have been a kubectl plugin

dealing with the idiosyncrasies of EKS versus GCP versus roll-your-own is enough of its own workload but at least the UX part is the same, and i don't need to know about whatever OpenShift's replacement tooling or CRs are, esp since the OpenShift users seem to be less familiar with what they're doing and can't translate their questions to vanilla k8s terms at all. kubectl and a lot of the prominent stock tooling aren't so bad that they desperately need a replacement; they usually have enough people working with them that the UX pain gets hammered out over time

i'm sorry that someone is daring to improve on the kube user experience without first becoming a google employee i guess...?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cool av posted:

what happens if you just -i or -t but not both

sorry but you have to dot the i's AND cross the t's

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

carry on then posted:

aliasing kubectl to k is canon.

also its pronounced cube-cuddle

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
does anyone use nomad. I think they invented their own yaml-like

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Hed posted:

they invented their own yaml-like

so just a general comment here, if you're at work and someone says they're writing their own configuration file format you should respond by setting up a 1-on-1 meeting with them and breaking all their fingers.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Hed posted:

does anyone use nomad. I think they invented their own yaml-like

nomad job files and terraform use the same config lang. its… okay

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

you know what is worse than yaml? helm charts. here, write some loving yaml but also with go templating. loving hell

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ngl, what I'm starting to like even more than YAML is HCL2 :getin: :sickos::unsmigghh:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Bored Online posted:

you know what is worse than yaml? helm charts. here, write some loving yaml but also with go templating. loving hell

yah as someone who maintains a chart i can affirm that Helm is in many ways quite poo poo. really wish they had a proper kustomize integration so all the many many feature requests i get for "add this new deployment feature into the deployment" could be handled with "this doesn't need a loop or advanced template functionality, it is just stuffing a YAML blob into a defined place in another YAML blob, which is exactly what kustomize does, use that instead" but their solution for that is "uh you can run a bash script that invokes kustomize" which is poo poo.

it's useful for de-duplicating poo poo for our 8 mostly-identical Services but other than that it's a hot mess.

also someone submitted a PR the other day that'd let you put a template inside values.yaml and render it inside one of the chart templates. i hate that this is even possible and i want to die.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
jenkins-job-builder supports yaml macros across files, so you can define all your macros in one, separate file. Of course you could that up with common macros in a third file, and then dry that up further in a fourth- and this idea is so good it needs to be an important feature requests for the next major version of kubernetes. hell, maybe for yaml in general.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Ansible Adams posted:

ngl, what I'm starting to like even more than YAML is HCL2 :getin: :sickos::unsmigghh:

hcl2 is p. good for what its for

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
but it is explicitly a configuration format, nothing else

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

yah as someone who maintains a chart i can affirm that Helm is in many ways quite poo poo. really wish they had a proper kustomize integration so all the many many feature requests i get for "add this new deployment feature into the deployment" could be handled with "this doesn't need a loop or advanced template functionality, it is just stuffing a YAML blob into a defined place in another YAML blob, which is exactly what kustomize does, use that instead" but their solution for that is "uh you can run a bash script that invokes kustomize" which is poo poo.

it's useful for de-duplicating poo poo for our 8 mostly-identical Services but other than that it's a hot mess.

also someone submitted a PR the other day that'd let you put a template inside values.yaml and render it inside one of the chart templates. i hate that this is even possible and i want to die.

haha oh poo poo, last i worked with helm charts putting even a variable in values.yaml wasn't allowed

Cerberus911
Dec 26, 2005
Guarding the damned since '05

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

We have some helm templates that are more brackets than text, and seriously abuse helm templating.

All so someone can define all resources they want directly in the values.yaml.

It could be worse, another team is using terraform for k8s deployment and every deployment diff is 3+ screens of scrolling.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i use helm templates but only for two things:
- generating an arbitrary random token for a Secret if the Secret doesn't already exist, for things like internal creds between services
- embedding config files into configmaps without needing to have a nested copy in the configmap yaml

and i never use other people's helm charts because they're all the union of every possible option that every passerby needed so that it would run on their SPARC cluster with 7 bit bytes or whatever. if a helm chart is the only option then ill render it to yaml with default settings and then edit/use the result because otherwise its hard to tell wtf the thing is doing when its 89% templating logic

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://github.com/mittwald/kubernetes-secret-generator

i mean this thing exists, although "oops sorry about that time we hosed up the security of the randomly generated values" admittedly doesn't inspire the greatest amount of confidence.

helm is 100% terrible

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rotor posted:

so just a general comment here, if you're at work and someone says they're writing their own configuration file format you should respond by setting up a 1-on-1 meeting with them and breaking all their fingers.

my favourite hosed up custom config file format is digital anvil's variant of INI for populating databases of object properties where [section]s are actually a class type

INI code:
[FooType]
nickname = my_foo    ; gets added to a global hashtable of all FooTypes as the key for this object
some_property = 420.69
this_property_doesnt_exist = 219    ; but it's fine, the parser just logs it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Its time to be honest with you all

I don’t know what kuberneetus is

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Cerberus911 posted:

It could be worse, another team is using terraform for k8s deployment and every deployment diff is 3+ screens of scrolling.

what the hell are they doing, don't they know they can break out configurations into smaller files for specific aspects of services if they're complex?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

Its time to be honest with you all

I don’t know what kuberneetus is

i went to several kubernetes meetups for free food and im still not sure

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Perplx posted:

i went to several kubernetes meetups for free food and im still not sure

was the food ok?

I went to a PR event last night for lyre non alcoholic spirits. I ate a mushroom canapé that almost made me gag. then some older woman ranted on to me about how I need to change my life. she was kinda hot but she was quite annoying.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
yes it was good, free pizza, beer, fancy cupcakes, fancy sandwiches, then they stopped serving beer and it wasn't fun anymore

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

i never use other people's helm charts because they're all the union of every possible option that every passerby needed

there's some very telling bit in a Helm commentary "why this feature is the way it is" post to the effect of "when we started this project, the idea was that you'd maintain your own chart for filling out the specifics of your environments, prod, test, etc. the author and user were expected to be the same person. in practice, we have wound up with chef recipes, where the users are using charts as a shortcut to not understanding how the app they want is deployed"

helm would probably be a much saner place if general user audience charts weren't really a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i work on middleware/developer tools so i only have access to little 3controller/3worker clusters, how big is a decent production kube cluster, anyways?