Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerberus911
Dec 26, 2005
Guarding the damned since '05

Share Bear posted:

what the hell are they doing, don't they know they can break out configurations into smaller files for specific aspects of services if they're complex?

They’re creating all namespaces and related resources for a k8s cluster. It works, but due to terraform being the way it is even a simple diff will be multiple pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

Its time to be honest with you all

I don’t know what kuberneetus is

"What if you had 1000 little computers but could control them all as if they were one really big computer. Also you could install programs on the big computer by basically just unzipping them and the program could behave as if it had the entire computer to itself. Also if some of the little computers break then the big computer keeps working while you swap the broken little computers out"

Kubernetes is a set of programs you install on the little computers to let you do all that. At least in theory.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

echinopsis posted:

blessed

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

echinopsis posted:

my version is that it's a datacenter operating system. all the traditional single-machine OS scheduling/hardware interaction/etc. stuff that you wouldn't want to deal with as an application developer and instead have the kernel do on your behalf, that's what kubernetes is supposed to handle for you, just for lots of networked machines.

i have tried to give this explanation to our salespeople and im pretty sure it doesn't really work because lol salespeople don't understand what an operating system is either.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

there's some very telling bit in a Helm commentary "why this feature is the way it is" post to the effect of "when we started this project, the idea was that you'd maintain your own chart for filling out the specifics of your environments, prod, test, etc. the author and user were expected to be the same person. in practice, we have wound up with chef recipes, where the users are using charts as a shortcut to not understanding how the app they want is deployed"

helm would probably be a much saner place if general user audience charts weren't really a thing

i spent considerable time at my last job trying to explain the probability of helm charts becoming leaky abstractions as people start out trying to hide the underlying manifests only to gradually re-expose every setting. people didn’t particularly care for this argument but i felt pretty vindicated by the time every core chart had been augmented to let users override pod specs entirely.

epitaph fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 16, 2021

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Kiss me… K8s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sapozhnik posted:

"What if you had 1000 little computers but could control them all as if they were one really big computer. Also you could install programs on the big computer by basically just unzipping them and the program could behave as if it had the entire computer to itself. Also if some of the little computers break then the big computer keeps working while you swap the broken little computers out"

Kubernetes is a set of programs you install on the little computers to let you do all that. At least in theory.

sounds neat

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

my version is that it's a datacenter operating system. all the traditional single-machine OS scheduling/hardware interaction/etc. stuff that you wouldn't want to deal with as an application developer and instead have the kernel do on your behalf, that's what kubernetes is supposed to handle for you, just for lots of networked machines.

i have tried to give this explanation to our salespeople and im pretty sure it doesn't really work because lol salespeople don't understand what an operating system is either.

the operating system is what shows the start menu so i can play minesweeper

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
does anyone have any experience or pro tips for doing more low-level container operations, eg with runc

we have environments we can't put docker on, but it seems like we could build images with docker and then run them with rootless runc which would be pretty sweet

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

maybe go one level up with containerd apis to start with: https://containerd.io/docs/getting-started/

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
has anyone said mark yaml yet?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

maybe go one level up with containerd apis to start with: https://containerd.io/docs/getting-started/

unfortunately containerd and podman are not options for me I think

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

my favourite hosed up custom config file format is digital anvil's variant of INI for populating databases of object properties where [section]s are actually a class type

INI code:
[FooType]
nickname = my_foo    ; gets added to a global hashtable of all FooTypes as the key for this object
some_property = 420.69
this_property_doesnt_exist = 219    ; but it's fine, the parser just logs it

digital anvil sounds like some wile e coyote poo poo

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Fart Sandwiches posted:

has anyone said mark yaml yet?

no but lol

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

help me auth my containers against AD without loading sidecar my family is dying

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
fake your death and move to belize

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
I've got a friend who works for EA on Madden, and he showed me their build tools for the K8 cluster and it's literally a bunch of YAML files that themselves don't do anything, but instead call a bunch of random bash scripts that do the actual build. It's mindblowingly stupid but they're printing money off Ultimate Team addicts and have zero incentive to change anything. They don't even have a dev environment for their stuff it's all tested in production, the more he tells me about their development process the more I want to work for EA.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i refuse to work anywhere thats going to make me work more than 40 hours a week more than a few times a year.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i refuse to work

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

old man yamls at cloud

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i followed a kubernetes tutorial and it didn't make me touch any yaml op

animist
Aug 28, 2018
kubernetes has that special stuck-in-tar sensation you get while waiting for a 30 page google doc with lots of images to open, but on every single CLI invocation somehow

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't really see the benefits of using kubernetes over say aws + terraform so far, it seems pretty similar for run of the mill business stuff.

I guess if you wanted to run it on your own hardware it would let you do that, but my impression is that most people do it in the cloud anyway

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

I don't really see the benefits of using kubernetes over say aws + terraform so far, it seems pretty similar for run of the mill business stuff.

I guess if you wanted to run it on your own hardware it would let you do that, but my impression is that most people do it in the cloud anyway

have you met financial services companies?

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

but kubernetes is platform-agnostic so instead of writing a bunch of vendor-specific provisioning and deployment scripts, you have nice clean helm charts that deploy to whichever public cloud you’re using!

lmao

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

i have to use all three together

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

refleks posted:

have you met financial services companies?

for them there's azure on-prem!

pointsofdata posted:

I don't really see the benefits of using kubernetes over say aws + terraform so far, it seems pretty similar for run of the mill business stuff

choice my friend, choice! a vibrant and diverse ecosystem of cloud computing management software is key to ongoing improvement through competition

for example, you can choose between an RBAC system that is practically useless in kubernetes and an RBAC system that is incomprehensible in AWS

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
fields of the yamlhim

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
why the gently caress are containers even a thing just use jails smdh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

container systems should define an API and ABI where they provide a shared library like libPOSIX.1.2017.so that defines the “container OS” and then everything contained should only be allowed to interact with the world via that and facilities provided by it

then we could truly let a thousand flowers bloom

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

you store configuration in xml documents. yaml is not suitable for anything beyond aggravating its users

no you store your configuration in a database, you just encapsulate it in XML for transport to a service

and encapsulate a definition of the configuration information service instances need in XML alongside the instance of course

but the actual currently-running configs should be stored in a database

Cerberus911
Dec 26, 2005
Guarding the damned since '05
I store my config in git

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

eschaton posted:

container systems should define an API and ABI where they provide a shared library like libPOSIX.1.2017.so that defines the “container OS” and then everything contained should only be allowed to interact with the world via that and facilities provided by it

there are a couple runtimes like gvisor that implement syscalls in userspace that's pretty much this but much easier to adopt and implement

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

eschaton posted:

how does this help me distribute my lovely Java applications without caring about whatever cursed OS the host is running?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

eschaton posted:

why the gently caress are containers even a thing just use jails smdh

yeah just let me find the three engineers with extensive prod experience managing fleets of app instances using BSD jails. i assume they're all more beard than flesh and bone at this point

in unrelated news, the k8s blogs have some choice nuggets:

> The way PSPs are applied to Pods has proven confusing to nearly everyone that has attempted to use them.

wait you mean users didn't get a resource that applies to pods via a binding to the pod's associated serviceaccount and only does anything when you enable the special resource admission controller?

i know there has to be some sort of "well, these are the tools we have currently built for these APIs in the kubelet security poo poo, so this is what we're using, gently caress if the ux makes no sense" reason behind why PSPs work this way, but still, lol

I JUST WANTED TO FORCE READ ONLY CONTAINER FILESYSTEMS GODDAMNIT KUBERNETES

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

owned

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i do enjoy the complete abandonment of even trying to learn about usability in security circles, followed by the surprised pikachu face when people just stop implementing the provided security measures because they're user hostile garbage

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

yeah just let me find the three engineers with extensive prod experience managing fleets of app instances using BSD jails. i assume they're all more beard than flesh and bone at this point

in unrelated news, the k8s blogs have some choice nuggets:

> The way PSPs are applied to Pods has proven confusing to nearly everyone that has attempted to use them.

wait you mean users didn't get a resource that applies to pods via a binding to the pod's associated serviceaccount and only does anything when you enable the special resource admission controller?

i know there has to be some sort of "well, these are the tools we have currently built for these APIs in the kubelet security poo poo, so this is what we're using, gently caress if the ux makes no sense" reason behind why PSPs work this way, but still, lol

I JUST WANTED TO FORCE READ ONLY CONTAINER FILESYSTEMS GODDAMNIT KUBERNETES

just copy what one of the better engineers does

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Bored Online posted:

just copy what one of the better engineers does

there are no better engineers. we are but a morass of bad engineers; occasionally an okay enough idea bubble percolates up to the top of the swamp muck and pops, scattering scant detritus of goodness across our technology plain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i thought kubernetes was yaml but cloudformation is even more yaml yaml

someone read through the yaml spec and found the tags and thought "yes, this is a good feature"