Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not much but to be honest I think I agree with basically everything you posted, and feel a lot of those things too yeah.

Having been in the position of dealing with suicidal ideation from both sides, with that outlook, I would say that yes it does feel very hollow to simply assert that living is the most important option, but at the same time it's hard to know what else to do. I obviously don't want to tell suffering people to just die even as someone who has genuinely and thoroughly faced the prospect and been unable to really shake the nagging feeling that it was, and is, the best choice I could make. And I think a lot of people who haven't gone through that are even less willing to do that too, but you are right that I think that emotive need comes before people actually being able to articulate a complete explanation for why.

The only way I have been able to square it is that when people just assert the necessity of life, they're doing it because they fundamentally do wish that your life could get better, they want to believe that is possible because their instinctive reaction is that the world cannot simply allow things to be poo poo for someone from start to finish and for there to be no justice for them. Which is a "nice" thought I guess in some respects but from our positions it can definitely feel more than a little like a cruel joke.

But then, the belief that the world can get better is sort of inherently a filter, isn't it? If you believe that it's awful and can't get better, well we know what happens to people who reach that conclusion don't we? The people who are still alive are necessarily some kind of optimist, and I think people who are on the margin where they can really understand what it feels like but aren't dead themselves, are understandably a pretty small minority, which is why most of the people you talk to don't get it. Even people who have been there and survive are, I think, likely to develop a strong aversion to that kind of thinking as a sort of defence mechanism, or perhaps I should say re-develop because I think it's a defence mechanism most people have, because it's again something you need to think in order to keep living.

I agree also that a lot of mental health as it exists is exactly just an exercise in stuffing people back into the box, and I think that's difficult to escape because we live in a society that demands conformity, that is filled with people at every level whose job it is to make people conform to a state that makes some rear end in a top hat money and I don't think mental aberrance is much different from political aberrance in that regard. Except that political aberrance at least is nominally considered to be good by some people.

As I said, I think you're just right, basically. I don't really have much else to add other than that I agree. You put it well and I don't think I can improve that much on most of it.

I guess maybe the only other thing I could offer is that I do, sometimes, on good days, hope that perhaps there could be a combination of political advocacy and mental health understanding from people who have been through this poo poo, so that maybe some people might feel like they have other options in the future. A lot of aspects of politics I think have gotten better from the inclusion of people directly affected by poo poo, coming and demanding stuff that immediately helps them, but it does feel like something that is a long way out there. It does feel sometimes like there are a few more people who understand than there used to be, but it's still an incredibly minority position I think.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU