Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

Thanks for making this thread, Josef. I have encountered a distinction that I have found useful, albeit in a human resources context, between the states of "mental health" and "mental fitness." I think this is a useful metaphor because most people have a much more intuitive understanding of physical health than mental health, but the parallels are actually really apt.

From that perspective, your mental health is a lot like your physical health. You're "unhealthy" if there's something about your body, or your mind, that is endangering you or causing you pain. With your body, this might be a malfunctioning organ or a virus or an injury, and with your mind this might be anything from a delusion to really bad feelings. But just because you're not in pain or danger doesn't mean you've reached the other end of the spectrum: you can do a lot more to help your mind be more resilient, capable, etc., or you can take actions that aren't strictly "unhealthy" but are definitely not going to make you more fit. In this instance I'd define "fit" as "able to do more", with sort of an open end towards the high end of the spectrum: a fit body can run longer or lift more, and a fit mind can experience a greater range of emotion, endure more, remember more, etc.

While I find this analogy really useful, I know plenty of people who struggle with it. The idea of being in poor mental health is so stigmatized that even when your mind is obviously in a lot of pain, people don't want to acknowledge that as poor health or illness--only the malfunctioning organ, not the virus or injury, is ACTUALLY "mental health." I think recognizing that poor health can come in many degrees of severity and duration is a critical step towards destigmatizing the idea and helping people be more honest with themselves about their situation.

Interested to see where this thread goes.

I think this may actually be a really useful way to look at underlying issues of mental health, and I think it has a lot to do with how our lives are structured in Western society. A cursory Google search will give all sorts of iterations of the same reasons why people don't tend to their physical health - "I'm too tired to exercise, I don't have time to exercise, I'm too tired to cook, I don't have time to cook, eating healthy is expensive." - all the common refrains for why people don't tend to their daily physical health can almost certainly be massaged to fit the mental health discussion: It's a lot of work to find a therapist, I don't have time to research providers, I don't have time to 'audition' providers to figure out who the pill pushers are and who the actual caregivers are, my insurance doesn't cover it, there's no one to watch the kids, I'm too busy, it's expensive/inaccessible and so on and so on.

The average Western life has largely been consumed by the notion that time not spent being productive towards some end is wasteful time or a necessary interruption. On any given day, most Westerners have a minimum of eight hours dedicated to the creation of wealth for someone else (1/3 of a day), a suggested 8 hours spent sleeping (another 1/3 of a day), and another alleged 8 hours "for themselves" - though that 1/3 we have left for ourselves diminishes rather rapidly once we add in the things that adults are expected to do - cooking, cleaning, restocking, paying bills, learning a new skill/trade to advance your career, some people have kids or animals, some more people have kids or animals that need special attention/extra time, and we're expected to make time to tend to both our physical fitness through a disciplined exercise regimen and take time for quiet, reflective introspection to tend to our mental health.

I posit that we live in a society where we aren't afforded the opportunity to tend to our mental health, and I feel that's best represented and argued visually:

I can only speak as an American, but it feels like it's really difficult to not feel overwhelmed by nothing more than the stresses of every day life in Western society when ~8% of weekdays aren't owed to forces outside your own agency (sleep is nice, but it's not time I get to spend enacting my own agency - if I could get by without it, I absolutely would reclaim that time to do ANYTING OTHER THAN RESPONSIBILITIES), one glorious weekend day is spent at home depot or lowe's and maybe buttressed by a late-Saturday cookout, and then we get to spend all day Sunday dreading the inevitability of the alarm clock at 6AM to start the cycle all over again.

It's quite honestly no real surprise at all that the mental health sector of the pharmaceutical industry is being valued as high as $16b by 2023. The very society we live in is manufacturing the conditions to create an epidemic of depression and anxiety.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU