Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut

is the title of a book i'm reading by Guy (his name but also what he is) DeBord (NOT how the book leaves me feeling).

I'll admit the language is difficult, but from what i understand it's a story about an entire society where everyone, at all times of the day, is watching a small monkey in a clown costume riding an old timey bicycle (with the big front wheel). Can u imagine? i can't tell if the monkey is riding in circles or figure eights but i have a while to go.

how does this mak eu feel? do u sometimes feel like the society? maybe the monkey (you shouldn't, guy debord specifically has a thesis that says u can't feel like the monkey)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

i have the new edition and in the preface, the author clarifies that the Avengers are still the bicycle monkey

nut

lol

nut

Luvcow posted:

i think I have told this story here before. in the 1940s my grandfathers brother's family would take in all kinds of animals and one of them was a monkey. when guests would come over the monkey would climb on top of the highest furniture and then masturbate while staring at the guests.

can't tell if i'm supposed to give this monkey money when he comes around

nut

debord's shift from living to having to appearing is one of the easiest parts for me to grasp and i feel it like eating to eating the new bigger big mac to watching someone mukbang thirty new bigger big macs on youtube

nut

the mental faltering you feel for just a microsecond before you refer to a youtuber as "a friend i know" when telling a story about something you saw them do

nut

i'm also too stupid and unlearned to know what are probably very obvious limits to the comparison, but i like debord's concept of non-living as a side product of "free" time in an alienated life compared to freud's death instinct. I think both capture the absolute boredom and disenfranchisement of our lives, tho

nut

Manifisto posted:

while I find his points on this stuff pretty interesting, the problem I have is the utter lack of basis for comparison. he doesn't describe and presumably can't describe what an unalienated, uncommodified existence would be, nor could we really appreciate what he meant given the absolute ubiquity of the spectacle in global society. is he describing something that would always be there regardless?

I get what you mean, but i think debord is trying to describe a historical process, underscoring that the spectacle feeds itself and grows after the initial separation/alienation, maybe in the form of labour as the manipulation of nature and our means for living. Where we insist we see social relations, we often fail to recognize they are actually commodity relations. One such alienation, i think, is in exchange, which appears social (two people are meeting and exchanging something) but it's actually a meeting dictated and centred around commodities, to which humans become producers and consumers and obey the laws of their commodities, not vice versa.

i def don't know much, but the situationist international seems to talk a lot about opportunities and efforts to recapture life with social meaning independent of the alienated relationships that permeate much of what we do.

2 steal from lewontin, i try to read it as "things are the way they are because they got that way, have not always been that way, need not always be that way". What those alternatives are? Only one way to find out.

nut

i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

Morpheus but he is holding out a blue pill in one hand and in the other hand he’s holding a post it note that says “the blue pill gives u diarrhea and it’s nasty lol”