Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Has anyone said how much it's going to cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Ceebees posted:

Has anyone said how much it's going to cost?

Price? We can't even confirm the game is coming out tomorrow.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There have been a bunch of twitch streamers playing it so that seems like a good sign that its coming out.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm really excited for this game and I'm surprised its not more hyped, though I guess its style (both art and gameplay) is maybe a bit niche. That said it hits my buttons extremely well and everyone I've shown it to who might like it is also crazy hyped.

Hope it turns out as good as it looks - I am trying to go in relatively cold since it seems like there's some plot and I like to figure things out myself, so I haven't been watching streams to see how it plays 'minute to minute' other than a few brief skips around some recorded streams.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

It was updated to 1.0 on steam yesterday so I am very confident this will be coming out tomorrow. No mention on cost yet though, but as it's indie I would think it's going to be less than $30!

Streamers are having a huge issue with difficulty from what I've heard so far.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

TescoBag posted:

Streamers are having a huge issue with difficulty from what I've heard so far.

Too easy or too hard?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Serpentis posted:

Too easy or too hard?

Too hard from the sounds of it. Or at least quite complex. You know how Streamers are at playing games though. I watched one crash land ships over and over again like they were meteorites.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also this is kinda a roguelike and roguelikes are hard for your first dozen failures.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
It's very hard. It seems extremely difficult to make money faster than you spend it (on fuel and repairs), so in every stream I've seen, even if they're winning the early battles comfortably, they're slowly bleeding to death. There are also a lot of enemy fleets flying around that are incredibly strong, basically unbeatable without a much stronger fleet than it seems possible to get, and the map detection mechanics are pretty obscure even after having read the manual, so it seems hard to avoid the super fleets.

Part of it is that there's a ton of mechanics that not all of the streamers are using properly - for example I haven't seen many use ammo types which might help make the tougher fights doable (but it's also very expensive), and you can "spend" relationship with characters in exchange for things like money and ships, and it's probably necessary to do that to stay above water.

It's hard know what the game "expects". No one has made it to the final challenge or knows what the end of the game looks like. Are you even supposed to build up a strong fleet to beat a big boss like in FTL (which the developer compares this game to) or are you supposed to just barely survive to whatever the end is while avoiding all the big enemy fleets?

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
RPS posted a review that the game has some really neat ideas and fun combat, but that the UI has a lot of annoying fiddly bits or poorly documented features. I'm curious if this is a common assessment, if it's something that could be patched, or the reviewer is just someone who isn't into what sounds like a grognardy roguelike.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/highfleet-review

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I appreciate how poorly this is being marketed / released

like nobody knows even if it's coming out or how much it'll cost

truly a sign of a truly grognardy game and I am hyped

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

tokenbrownguy posted:

I appreciate how poorly this is being marketed / released

like nobody knows even if it's coming out or how much it'll cost

truly a sign of a truly grognardy game and I am hyped

Both Microprose and the developer have confirmed it's definitely coming out (TODAY) via discord multiple times so I don't think that's in question at all. Cost is still up in the air!

I've not seen any of the streamers say anything bad about it yet, just that it's very difficult. They like the style and the combat, but we'll see how it goes!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Game owns hope i can get it day one (today)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the dev is goony as gently caress and you can see in this video there are a lot of fiddly mechanics leading to a very intended playstyle which no streamer is even approaching. to be fair half of them can barely not pancake their ships on the pavement but it looks like the dev has a super groggy Vision in mind for gameplay, which could be a problem if enough gamers bounce off it hard enough

also this video is months old so when the dev starts off apologizing for missing release date he is not talking about the game's scheduled release on july 27

im also tickled at the anti-marketing at play here by having the dev explain his game with a thick radio static filter to ensure his explanation of his own game is garbled and hard to follow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY0X9_kWOV4

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 27, 2021

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Yeah it seems every reviewer or streamer has missed the ELINT or radar scanning aspects of the game. This is the one part of the game that is comparable to Starsector: not every ship is meant for frontline combat. Like it seems there are cheap tanker-radar platforms that will take up one of your 12 fleet slots, but that will give you access to special abilities early game instead of just going for full pew pew ships.

There also seems to be wreck scavenging/loot raids. IT may be very profitable to build a fast recon ship that is simply zoom zoom to scout out locations on the map and dip away when radar lights up.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 27, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The one thing that looks iffy, to me, is the only controlling one ship against multiple ships part of the game. Still going to pick it up because it looks great besides that but still would have liked to see more than just 1vX fights. Hoping that there will be (already is?) some way for other ships in the fleet to influence fights without being active so there's incentive to create other types of support ships and such.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think i'm going into this well prepared because I know how to do passive ranging and Eukland ranging and target motion analysis out of the gate. Still expect it to be devastatingly hard. Much like the occupations it seems to be an allegory for.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Rynoto posted:

The one thing that looks iffy, to me, is the only controlling one ship against multiple ships part of the game. Still going to pick it up because it looks great besides that but still would have liked to see more than just 1vX fights. Hoping that there will be (already is?) some way for other ships in the fleet to influence fights without being active so there's incentive to create other types of support ships and such.

Other ship types are definitely necessary since you need fuel tankers and radar ships, but you can also launch long range missiles (including tactical nuclear missiles) at enemy fleets without directly engaging in combat so a support missile craft is also possible. Having a ship that's simply really good at shooting down long range missiles is another possible ship type, since there are both guns and defensive missiles that are designed for shooting down missiles, and apparently being nuked happens in the late game.

No way of knowing yet how viable or important each of these things is of course, although I imagine having some of these mixed and matched is good. The flagship does all of them to some extent for example.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

TastyAvocado posted:

Other ship types are definitely necessary since you need fuel tankers and radar ships, but you can also launch long range missiles (including tactical nuclear missiles) at enemy fleets without directly engaging in combat so a support missile craft is also possible. Having a ship that's simply really good at shooting down long range missiles is another possible ship type, since there are both guns and defensive missiles that are designed for shooting down missiles, and apparently being nuked happens in the late game.

No way of knowing yet how viable or important each of these things is of course, although I imagine having some of these mixed and matched is good. The flagship does all of them to some extent for example.

There are also cruise missiles that are non-nuclear, tactical and strategic nukes and carriers that are able to launch offensive and defensive actions. It is incredibly grognardy.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

but also the combat is like grueling and difficult and long so you have to have huge fuckoff murder ships or you’re going to be bleeding out through extended repair costs or fleet replacement

also the single ship thing seems super lame as well

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Watched some twitch streamers play the game, most of them complaining how resource starved they were while totally ignoring the big ‘loot me’ sign on the navigation screen after shooting down a transport fleets, or completely missing the radar indicating an anomaly that they should check out. I think the problem is with the kind of people playing it earlier.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the dev is goony as gently caress and you can see in this video there are a lot of fiddly mechanics leading to a very intended playstyle which no streamer is even approaching. to be fair half of them can barely not pancake their ships on the pavement but it looks like the dev has a super groggy Vision in mind for gameplay, which could be a problem if enough gamers bounce off it hard enough

also this video is months old so when the dev starts off apologizing for missing release date he is not talking about the game's scheduled release on july 27

im also tickled at the anti-marketing at play here by having the dev explain his game with a thick radio static filter to ensure his explanation of his own game is garbled and hard to follow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY0X9_kWOV4

This video 100% sold me on it, holy poo poo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
How do I turn my microphone into garbled radio sound!?!?? :(

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Rumours are this will be out at 6PM BST, which is 6 and a half hours from this post!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat. suck that I have to work tomorrow. Then again if I go to sleep now I could have a few hours before hand...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TescoBag posted:

Rumours are this will be out at 6PM BST, which is 6 and a half hours from this post!

Aww, I'll miss the launch then. I'll hop onto it tomorrow, I guess. From the looks of things, this thread might be a useful resource for us all to post things we've realized about the fiddly bits of the game.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Pirate Radar posted:

Aww, I'll miss the launch then. I'll hop onto it tomorrow, I guess. From the looks of things, this thread might be a useful resource for us all to post things we've realized about the fiddly bits of the game.

Yeah, goons tend to be pretty good at this sort of stuff so looking forward to tips etc being posted

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Yeah a lot of streamers and reviews are complaining this game is hard, and obtuse. But look, game settings are baked right into the GUI, look right here!

https://youtu.be/pHiriDa130w?t=315
time stamp 5:00

Look at the bottom left, a difficulty knob! The game can be even harder !

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's out now, currently downloading :toot:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah I insta-bought this one, gonna install later tonight probably. Very excited.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I crash to desktop after selecting the ships that are supposed to land in Eli in the prologue. Is this happening to any of you?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i really appreciate the steely eyed russian pointing directly at the UI elements with his beefy hand. "look here you dipshit, you can't possibly miss this". its a nice touch

definitely this game looks like a steampunk action romp and in reality its a white knuckle logistics and squadron simulator

e: streamers also immediately squandering all their funds on fuel and bullets without even trying to chase down convoys is p good

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 27, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Perestroika posted:

It's out now, currently downloading :toot:

same except its done and im gonna crater so many ships

e: instantly cratered like no joke this poo poo not loving around lmao it dropped me directly into cloud cover and that didnt disperse until like 50 metres from the ground lmao game owns

i should add i was holding e and q to rotate and yeah tap them dont hold

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 27, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That's one sad looking guy broadcasting it on Steam. He looks positively depressed.

I'm psyched!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
you have to land EACH craft in your fleet fyi

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Posted this in another thread but thought it was kind of interesting:

quote:

That is a cool manual. I wish the game supported controller input though, that's kind of a bummer for me.

It's pretty interesting about MicroProse actually, this is more like the undead, re-risen version of the company. It was originally founded in 1982, released some huge hits including Sid Meier stuff, but was defunct by 2003. This new MicroProse is actually the result of a person named David Lagettie, a fan of those games and the publisher, who started purchasing IPs as well as the name and logo of the company and ended up resurrecting it.

It gets even weirder from there as he's also apparently the lead singer of a band called Seventh, and in addition to creating games for consumers he and the Spanel brothers created war/combat simulators that are actually used by the US military among others. And the band supplied the theme song for those military simulators.

I'm not sure if MicroProse itself will be making combat simulators for militaries around the world or if that's in the past.

all else aside this publisher is set up to the most grodnardy of the grodnards and it sounds like this game is a good start even if it is technically fantasy

verbal enema posted:

I haven't played yet but I wonder if that is a great decision. Probably great if you like rage quits at least

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

verbal enema posted:

According to the manual, only ships you select to land at the docks.

Manual posted:

You only need 1 ship in the landing party, and the only reason to add more
is to gain a Repair Speed bonus. You can still repair a craft that doesn’t
land manually, but without any bonus (note that you can also land the
ship individually later in the Shipworks if necessary). Be careful in your
selection as craft with damaged thrusters or landing gear may be more
difficult to land safely!
When your landing party is ready, click OK to proceed with the manual
landing. You’ll land each craft in the landing party sequentially, so ensure
you use the surface space wisely to accommodate them all.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Officer Guy looks like Slavoj Žižek.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sipher posted:

According to the manual, only ships you select to land at the docks.

yeah i probably could have clarified that didnt really get it until i saw how the repair boni stacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Woah this game is....something extremely different.

All the buttons are clickable! Not only clickable, but important! :neckbeard: