Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Communist Bear posted:

Woah this game is....something extremely different.

All the buttons are clickable! Not only clickable, but important! :neckbeard:

i really want to be able to yank the phone off when in mega emergency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the real question is

can you turn off the bullet holes in combat because that just looks annoyingly distracting

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Play posted:

all else aside this publisher is set up to the most grodnardy of the grodnards and it sounds like this game is a good start even if it is technically fantasy
They seem to be threading the needle to me. While they've got some straight-up sims in the works like Sea Power and Task Force Admiral, Micropose is also publishing stuff like the more whimsical Tiny Combat Arena and Regiments, which plays like a greatly streamlined Wargames title. I think it might be more accurate to say that they're going for a grognard aesthetic than anything else.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

the real question is

can you turn off the bullet holes in combat because that just looks annoyingly distracting

No, there are basically no settings at all. Yes it is very distracting. The combat feels good though, I'm still getting used to the absolute controls (I'd been playing brigador and starsector with relative controls recently), and I don't love the little targeting arrow instead of a sight line or reticle, but overall it feels quite good.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im gonna play this when im not drunk and can tell what ships are mine

RIP the 60 crew i killed with friendly fire? or not? idk the shooting is odd but does feel good

Would love a Bridagdor style aim line tho

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

verbal enema posted:

im gonna play this when im not drunk and can tell what ships are mine

RIP the 60 crew i killed with friendly fire? or not? idk the shooting is odd but does feel good

Would love a Bridagdor style aim line tho

You are only ever flying one of your ships at a time, you'll be faced up vs however many the enemy has with them. likely you had one of your little corvettes get hit by a AA missile, which can pretty reliably ko them

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Anybody having resolution issues? There's no options to fine tune the resolution and my mouse jumps the whole screen if I slide it more than a 1/6th of the screen.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

tokenbrownguy posted:

Anybody having resolution issues? There's no options to fine tune the resolution and my mouse jumps the whole screen if I slide it more than a 1/6th of the screen.

Do you have any DPI options on your mouse itself or some software for it?

Also do you know what resolution it plays it if you can't change it? That's definitely a point against. What game doesn't have resolution options in this day and age...

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Game punishes failure constantly, even retrying a fight reduces crew moral, so always win on the first run.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

verbal enema posted:

you have to land EACH craft in your fleet fyi

You can refuel everything without landing. Andyou can repair everything also without landing, you just get a 0%.

I think i'm going to see if I can selectively repair thrusters at 0% bonus while in air, and then land later for the rest.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

tokenbrownguy posted:

I'm having the exact same problem. There really doesn't seem to be a way to tune the resolution other than going windowed. And even then my mouse is going crazy as well.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, same. Also my "B" button doesn't work for disabling fires. So I pretty much can't fight.

Frustrating.

e: I'm an idiot, my fire suppression was just getting blown off.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 27, 2021

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Make sure you ship actually has FSS, or a back up one if the first one blew up.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Dicked around a bit because it was a slow day - the SIGINT stuff suddenly appearing on the main UI was pretty lol, that was a hell of an info dump

Really like the general aesthetic, ship fights seem fun but I wanna dick around in something bigger than what the early game throws at you

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I've not had chance to play it yet, but initially people are mentioning there isn't a lot in the way of settings etc for this. Hopefully this is something that will come soon from the dev, or maybe there is a config file that can be changed, we'll see. Seeing that most are liking the gameplay though.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Dicked around a bit because it was a slow day - the SIGINT stuff suddenly appearing on the main UI was pretty lol, that was a hell of an info dump

Really like the general aesthetic, ship fights seem fun but I wanna dick around in something bigger than what the early game throws at you

You get given a cruiser toward the end of the tutorial and it seems to be a horrifying monster that wrecks poo poo with its heavy cannon and a bajillion missile launchers. It is also a lumbering behemoth that will get constantly hit and suffer damage though, even if it has point defense guns that buzzsaw down missiles. Capital ships seem to exist 1) To provide gigantic fuel tanks to ferry around your smaller ships 2) provide strategic missile capacity for long range ruination of things (not tried this out yet) and 3) To dumpster enemy ships in critical combats at the cost of getting shot a lot then requiring a painful amount of money and time to fix.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Always share your landing platform if your buddy needs some room

The glitchy graphic effects and the static don't make pretty screenshots. I like how it helpfully tells you how wide of a ship can fit down the tube.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yes, your cruiser mauls everything early game right now, but is an incredible beast for repairs and cost of operation. Its electronic and standoff capabilities are far more important than its raw firepower, and I think as soon as I have options i'm going to strip off the heavy armaments' and turn it into a fully standoff platform w/ PD entirely.

Much like reality specialization is the way to go. I'm going to strip and convert two of my starting Navarin's to scout craft only, and see how it goes.

I also keep turning on my ground scan radar and then investigating the random returns in the distance. I think they've all been mountains so far but i'm hoping to find something. Would be nice to have a operation area topographical map so I could cross reference random ground returns for where I expect mountain peaks to be, for now i'm just marking them on the map.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 27, 2021

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Patrat posted:

You get given a cruiser toward the end of the tutorial and it seems to be a horrifying monster that wrecks poo poo with its heavy cannon and a bajillion missile launchers. It is also a lumbering behemoth that will get constantly hit and suffer damage though, even if it has point defense guns that buzzsaw down missiles. Capital ships seem to exist 1) To provide gigantic fuel tanks to ferry around your smaller ships 2) provide strategic missile capacity for long range ruination of things (not tried this out yet) and 3) To dumpster enemy ships in critical combats at the cost of getting shot a lot then requiring a painful amount of money and time to fix.

Yeah I just got the cruiser and I'm excited to go smash it into something

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also just found my first big complaint? You can hit the main menu button and it won't warn you that you'll lose progress.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Much like reality specialization is the way to go. I'm going to strip and convert two of my starting Navarin's to scout craft only, and see how it goes.

I started with a Skylark which seems to do an excellent job there, it is fast, has good sensors and has a disgustingly absurd range. I think over six thousand kilometers?

Along with zero weaponry and less cost than a Navarin.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Alright well I played a bit at lunch, to mixed results.

I actually love the landing minigame. It's JUST hard enough. The temptation to go for the bonus repair is real, even if you aren't damaged at all lol. It's not THAT hard, but you can quickly find yourself in a no-hope situation coming down at the wrong spot or getting off kilter a bit. Still it's fun and I like it.

Combat also seems p drat cool. I still need to truly learn the whole in-world HUD options, but just in general combat is simple but unintuitive enough to be challenging. Bullets don't always go exactly where you want them to, they spread and deviate quite a bit which makes it fun.

UNFORTUNATELY, I got softlocked during the prologue when they try to teach you how to make repairs on a craft. The guy was telling me to click something but most of the screen was blurred out and I couldn't click anything. Managed to get out of that screen but the guy and his instructions were still there and it wasn't letting me click anything else at all. I assume it wanted me to do something, but that thing was impossible for some reason. Not great on that count.

Regardless, it's just a cool game that looks incredible and I believe a lot of this stuff will be fixed going forward. The gorgeous art, intriguing worldbuilding, and challenging gameplay combines really well.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm having the exact same problem. There really doesn't seem to be a way to tune the resolution other than going windowed. And even then my mouse is going crazy as well.

My mouse has DPI + and - buttons, thankfully. I assume OP doesn't though

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Play posted:

UNFORTUNATELY, I got softlocked during the prologue when they try to teach you how to make repairs on a craft. The guy was telling me to click something but most of the screen was blurred out and I couldn't click anything. Managed to get out of that screen but the guy and his instructions were still there and it wasn't letting me click anything else at all. I assume it wanted me to do something, but that thing was impossible for some reason. Not great on that count.

Hit S to scroll down. Same thing got me. You have to us WASD to scroll in screens as well.

Also lmao capships own

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

Hit S to scroll down. Same thing got me. You have to us WASD to scroll in screens as well.

Also lmao capships own

motherfucker....

thank you

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Welp. Win7 compatibility removed from the features list literally in the last hours before launch. It just crashes every time it tries to go to tactical view. Should've read more closely, but that's looking like a refund.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Windows 7 is out of support why are you doing that to yourself

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
OSaaS is a plague, but i like games.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Windows 7 is also a plague

Patrat posted:

I started with a Skylark which seems to do an excellent job there, it is fast, has good sensors and has a disgustingly absurd range. I think over six thousand kilometers?

See but I wasn't smart enough to start with scouts thinking i'd be hard pressed to make progress early with insufficient firepower.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It only takes, like, two hours tops to update to win10 and it's free if you already have a valid 7 key :shrug:

Won't even lose anything.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

I managed to retain control of a ship after landing, during the menus. I flew it off the top of the screen and then pressed exit and it was like it had never happened! Good bug

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I shot myself down with my own missile

Awesome

Play
Apr 25, 2006

What do you guys think about the best upgrade, gunner medic or mechanic? Leaning towards mechanic but I'd be curious what you guys think

Also how do you fire missiles? Also what is the difference between the missiles you attach in the shipyard and the missiles you buy in the supplies, is the one you buy in the shipyard just the launcher for the supply missiles? It's not exactly clear

Finally, I'm not able to find any transmissions or make much sense of that, maybe because I'm in the prologue or something but I'm curious how other people have done with transmissions and what seemed to work.

Game is a lot more complex than it first appears

Patrat posted:

I'm still in the prologue I think, you get to choose all your own ships after that or something?

apseudonym posted:

I shot myself down with my own missile

Awesome

that... actually kind of is awesome. super loving awesome

Play fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 28, 2021

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Play posted:

What do you guys think about the best upgrade, gunner medic or mechanic? Leaning towards mechanic but I'd be curious what you guys think

Also how do you fire missiles? Also what is the difference between the missiles you attach in the shipyard and the missiles you buy in the supplies, is the one you buy in the shipyard just the launcher for the supply missiles? It's not exactly clear

Finally, I'm not able to find any transmissions or make much sense of that, maybe because I'm in the prologue or something but I'm curious how other people have done with transmissions and what seemed to work.

Game is a lot more complex than it first appears

I'm still in the prologue I think, you get to choose all your own ships after that or something?

that... actually kind of is awesome. super loving awesome

space fires them in the mission, the longer range missiles are done from the top right on the tactical map. I think cruise missiles are always the tactical map ones.

I got a ship with missiles on the top and fired it at a target in the same direction I was moving fast but below me, unfortunately while the missile knew where it wasn't it didn't know where the firing ship was.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

apseudonym posted:

space fires them in the mission, the longer range missiles are done from the top right on the tactical map. I think cruise missiles are always the tactical map ones.

I got a ship with missiles on the top and fired it at a target in the same direction I was moving fast but below me, unfortunately while the missile knew where it wasn't it didn't know where the firing ship was.

Good to know, thanks. Your anguish is our intelligence resource.

Do you need to line up/lock on missiles shots, or you just have your cursor aimed at a ship and press space?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So after I finish the prologue tutorial do I just start a mission without the prologue? It sounded like it would keep my "Bonuses" into the next mission but it just reloaded an earlier save instead. Not sure where to go after that.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Play posted:

Good to know, thanks. Your anguish is our intelligence resource.

Do you need to line up/lock on missiles shots, or you just have your cursor aimed at a ship and press space?

I think it fires at the current locked on ship which AFAIK is the one Im pointing at

E: Also reading the manual you get to the special ammo by going right from the supplies, I did not know this.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

apseudonym posted:

unfortunately while the missile knew where it wasn't it didn't know where the firing ship was.

And it follows that the position where your ship was very quickly became the position where it wasn't.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
this game is an epileptic nightmare lmao

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I got a bad game glitch. When i take a prize ship, it becomes a part of the strike force. So when I try to move said ships, they just get caught in a constant battle cycle with a lone prize ship. Bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gamerofthegame posted:

this game is an epileptic nightmare lmao

Yeah, the combo of super obtuse UI, unforgiving controls/difficulty, and glitchy/lossy/bullet-holey visuals was too much for me. It's tempting to keep trying but I already know I'll end up banging my head against a wall