Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I like a lot of the vanilla designs because I think the flaws help you as a player learn ship design. Once you understand that a Gladiator is dead almost instantly if you shoot it from the bottom you can go into the shipbuilder with a goal - Make an improved Gladiator. Then from there you can look at trying to update another ship with an obvious flaw and that makes the whole process less overwhelming for learning the system. Until someone forces you to fight a monstrosity like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What does that thing even do? Like, other than have no firing arc whatsoever.

It looks pretty, I'll give it that.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Serephina posted:

What does that thing even do? Like, other than have no firing arc whatsoever.

It looks pretty, I'll give it that.

Those guns are totally unrestricted. It's mostly a joke but it is full of heresy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean I'd swear they'd need another Z-level to shoot above the large fuel tanks, but I'm just a noob. But they block one another, right? Unless you've got some voodoo that I don't know and if so please share.

edit: oh my god I have been making this so much harder on myself than it needed to be

Serephina fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 27, 2023

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Serephina posted:

I mean I'd swear they'd need another Z-level to shoot above the large fuel tanks, but I'm just a noob. But they block one another, right? Unless you've got some voodoo that I don't know and if so please share.

Weapon arcs have been bugged since forever and do not actually apply in combat. Even weapons with fully red arc will shoot in 360° without hindrance.

AParadox fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 27, 2023

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

AParadox posted:

Weapon arcs have been bugged since forever and do not actually apply in combat. Even weapons with fully red arc will shoot in 360° without hindrance.

True of 1.16 but that particular abomination was a ship I submitted for Phros' community-mod LP series which is specifically limited to v1.15, so gun arcs do apply. My entries mostly relied on counterintuitive interactions with triangular hull parts in the z-elevation rules to get full gun coverage with goofy designs that look like they shouldn't work.

When building that ship at one at one point I decided ["okay I'm basically done but way under-budget... guess I'll just add a bunch of unnecessary fire extinguishers in silly places"]

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
How do you beat a SG with an aircraft carrier, missile carrier, and multiple cruisers? Is that how all SG are?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Strike groups don't have aircraft, that's a carrier group (or possibly a missile carrier group). They're based at certain cities and are able to wander a limited distance out when you're detected. They are pretty darn dangerous. Best handled by sneaking a lightning into close combat and blitzing them. Or just go around them.

You might have a nightmare situation where a Strike Group has landed in a Carrier Group city. You'll wanna give that a wide berth until they split up.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

temple posted:

How do you beat a SG with an aircraft carrier, missile carrier, and multiple cruisers? Is that how all SG are?

yeah they're pretty much all like that and the answer is that you use your own cruisers, as well as having a good amount of 37mm guns in your fleet to clear out incoming missiles and planes. Once you've gotten the hang of the game it's not that hard to take on a Strike Group in something like a Kormoran and the main issue is going to be that if one SG knows where you are then all of the other SGs probably know too, and they're not going to give you a chance to repair. The Sevastopol is also usually going to be able to deal with exactly one Strike Group before getting benched forever because it has fantastic guns but is also made of paper mache and covered in priceless ming vases so it will get shot to poo poo in the process and take trillions of years and dollars to repair.

Bug Squash posted:

Strike groups don't have aircraft, that's a carrier group (or possibly a missile carrier group).

they actually can spawn with Longbows in them

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

Oh yeah.

Still, I'd recommend knocking them out with your own planes. Just remember to bring a few missile planes to defend your own.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

cock hero flux posted:

yeah they're pretty much all like that and the answer is that you use your own cruisers, as well as having a good amount of 37mm guns in your fleet to clear out incoming missiles and planes. Once you've gotten the hang of the game it's not that hard to take on a Strike Group in something like a Kormoran and the main issue is going to be that if one SG knows where you are then all of the other SGs probably know too, and they're not going to give you a chance to repair. The Sevastopol is also usually going to be able to deal with exactly one Strike Group before getting benched forever because it has fantastic guns but is also made of paper mache and covered in priceless ming vases so it will get shot to poo poo in the process and take trillions of years and dollars to repair.

That sucks.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

temple posted:

SGs will always have cruisers and at least one ship with missiles, and will sometimes have an aircraft carrier as well. They're meant to be tough to deal with, to incentivize using stealth and strategy instead of just charging in with your best brawlers.

Mid-sized ships tend to be a good bet for dealing with cruisers, since they can be speedy enough to dodge that heavy-caliber fire but can still pack enough of a punch to get through that armor. And your own cruisers can usually brawl with enemy cruisers on more than even ground once you fix the flaws in the stock designs.

If possible, though, it's best to soften up strike groups with missiles and aircraft attacks first. It's expensive, but strike groups are about the scariest stuff you'll run into, so there's no point in being stingy with the missiles against them. Even one good missile/bomb hit can blow a gaping hole in a cruiser's armor and turn it into easy prey.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
If you know they have aircraft you can send the faster aircraft with aa missiles to screen and take the enemy's aircraft out before volleying your own missiles to soften them up and finish off with a brawler. Laser guided bombs do wonders against big ships.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is there any reason not to plumb the poo poo out of Tarkan allies who give cash asap? Like, do I need that loyalty later for anything, at the risk of asking for minor spoilers?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

You will cash our all your loyalty at the end for random extra ships for the finale. You already get quite a few extra ships anyway, so I don't think its a big deal to save loyalty.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Serephina posted:

Is there any reason not to plumb the poo poo out of Tarkan allies who give cash asap? Like, do I need that loyalty later for anything, at the risk of asking for minor spoilers?

At some point that loyalty will be cashed in for something else. The more loyalty you have, the better that something else will be, and it isn't linear: the reward for having 4 stars is more than 4 times better than the reward for having 1 star. So, if you're going to cash out loyalty early, then it's better to just drain one person dry rather than trying to spread it out. You'd rather have 1 guy with 4 stars and 1 with zero than 2 guys with 2 stars.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

So is there an upgraded build guide? Do the corner setups still save mass?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thanks for that, I'll try to save a few loyal people then. In the meantime, I'm trying to convert the Sevastapol into a fighting ship (and mostly selling off or refitting any other cruisers I get); do Palashes have any place on a ship that's gonna take such a serious drubbing? I salvaged a bunch and am too lazy to try and recreate my current sevasta-disaster in the ship editor to test it. I'd suspect they'd all expire almost instantly when fighting a SG, then get blown off and be impossible to replace; ie they belong on something more nimble? It's probably a better idea to swap all the Vympels for 35mm, right?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Serephina posted:

Thanks for that, I'll try to save a few loyal people then. In the meantime, I'm trying to convert the Sevastapol into a fighting ship (and mostly selling off or refitting any other cruisers I get); do Palashes have any place on a ship that's gonna take such a serious drubbing? I salvaged a bunch and am too lazy to try and recreate my current sevasta-disaster in the ship editor to test it. I'd suspect they'd all expire almost instantly when fighting a SG, then get blown off and be impossible to replace; ie they belong on something more nimble? It's probably a better idea to swap all the Vympels for 35mm, right?

Really depends on what you're going for.

Palashes don't last long if you're taking sustained heavy-caliber fire, but neither will anything else on your ship. If you think of them as a backup defense for blocking any heavy artillery that you fail to shoot down, they're not so bad.

For purely defensive purposes, I prefer 37mm over 57mm, but it really depends on your playstyle. 37mm has a much larger clip than 57mm does so you don't have to be as economical with your shots, but it takes twice as long to reload so you've got a larger period of defenselessness between clips.

Personally, though, I take the opposite route with the Sevastopol: I strip off the weapons and armor and use them to beef up my other ships, turning the Sevastopol into a dedicated strategic cruiser.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Yea imo the sevestapool should be in a fight, if you do need it your probably going to be crippled the rest of the campaign. Turn it into an aircraft carrier or missile boat.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Serephina posted:

Turning the Sevastopol into a frontliner is a mistake. For one thing: when your flagship takes crew losses there is, in fact, an even chance that the crew that gets lost will be the Grand Duke, causing you to instantly game over even though your flagship is intact. The Sevastopol can fight, but should only be doing so as a last resort. Turning it into a proper slugger would require, as you said, replacing all of its secondary guns with chainguns and, more importantly, stripping all of its fragile detection equipment and missiles, which you would then have to put on something else(which likely wouldn't have the reactor to handle it) or do without. Your reward would be a ship which is competent but still overly bulky and slow, not particularly durable and which carries the constant risk of immediate game over whenever it gets damaged. As well, moving the Sevastopol around too much really hurts your bottom line: the thing is a black hole for fuel. You will be shocked at how much more money you start having when you adopt the policy of parking the Sevastopol in a central location and splitting off more compact, efficient combat groups to go around hitting cities.

If you want a proper fighting cruiser, I recommend the Kormoran, which is as close as you can get to a vanilla Death Brick. With fairly minor modifications(removing the missiles and adding armour to the spot they were in, adding a couple more chainguns, and sticking on a couple of extra small engines, all of which can be done to the vanilla design in-campaign without much effort), you have something that is extremely durable, hits very hard, and still manages to be just barely nimble enough to evade big guns. also throw on some more fire extinguishers since its biggest defensive weakness is a tendency to catch on fire whenever it takes big hits to the upper plate. This isn't that big a problem, though, since you can put like 5 or 6 chainguns on the thing and, as it turns out, that many chainguns are actually capable of reliably shooting down enemy artillery in addition to missiles and bombs so it'll be fairly difficult for anything with a high enough caliber to hurt you to get through.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Haven't the 37mm been nerfed making it impossible for them to shoot down enemy artillery now?

The one thing I dislike about this game is the dev constantly nerfing everything into the ground, they seem obsessed with making the game harder rather than a) more fun and b) spending time on more features.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
lol you guys, I know fielding the Sevasta-disasta as a gunship is a bad idea, which is why I'm doing it. If I wanted to be optimal I'd go create custom fuel tankers and poo poo and strip the Sevastapol down to a 2x2 thing with a single engine. Life has given me grapefruit, and I'm making bitter bitter lemonade out of it!

So for the palashes, any fancy geometry that lets them fire while not getting blown off? Asking for a very wide friend.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Serephina posted:

lol you guys, I know fielding the Sevasta-disasta as a gunship is a bad idea, which is why I'm doing it. If I wanted to be optimal I'd go create custom fuel tankers and poo poo and strip the Sevastapol down to a 2x2 thing with a single engine. Life has given me grapefruit, and I'm making bitter bitter lemonade out of it!

So for the palashes, any fancy geometry that lets them fire while not getting blown off? Asking for a very wide friend.

They can fire from behind one layer of armour. That is usually enough unless you are getting smashed,

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Just getting into this game and really enjoying it so far.
Modifying ships though, has been fun but also very annoying. Am I missing it, or is there no way to use the main menu style shipworks in the campaign? I'm talking about the extra zoom, the pinning of parts against the background etc. It just seems so much more awkward/difficult doing ship modifications in the campaign

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

TescoBag posted:

Haven't the 37mm been nerfed making it impossible for them to shoot down enemy artillery now?

The one thing I dislike about this game is the dev constantly nerfing everything into the ground, they seem obsessed with making the game harder rather than a) more fun and b) spending time on more features.

What did he change? I just checked and my 2 year old brick prototypes with 37mm spam can still stop most of varyag barrage on autofire.

https://i.imgur.com/efaeaxf.mp4

Or by artillery you mean something else?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Fight to Hera Vera mod looks dope, hopefully the scan process on nexus doesn't take too much longer

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, I didn't know or expect anything like that, but I'll happily take it.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

A new campaign, new map, new ships, and rebalanced? I'll definitely give it a go, but that's an ambitious mod to say the least.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah that is something I'll happily try

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Nice, it's up

https://www.nexusmods.com/highfleet/mods/16

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The game dev made a rare post on youtube to share this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWUBpKzi8Tw

We know that they have been working on making cruiser level gameplay a big part of the next update, with walkers setup as mobile defensive artillery positions and the ability to get your large guns to do fire missions on the strategic map.

Not sure *why* this needs a 3D view but I am wondering if this is for showing the effect of your fire mission on target? Kind of like an Advance Wars/Fire Emblem style ranged attack where it plays a little cutscene when your shells land to show you what happens?

It seems like the expansion is very very ambitious. I am cautiously excited.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I think it is more likely that he made a little 3d scene for fun than all that

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Wow my anti-virus does not like that mod at all. I think I'll wait until a few more people have given it the all clear before letting it out of quarantine.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Is there some trick for ship building? Because it's all super small pixelated blocks that overlay other super small pixelated blocks and I can't tell what anything is at all.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Is there some trick for ship building? Because it's all super small pixelated blocks that overlay other super small pixelated blocks and I can't tell what anything is at all.

The biggest thing to overcome is 'elevation'. placing blocks next to each other in squares of odd numbers pushes the middle block 'up' towards the screen away from the body of the ship. These elevated blocks will block firing arcs but you can also mount weapons on them to overcome other blockages. Recent patches have made this much harder.

Basics of ship building - get your Thrust to Weight ratio over 1, make sure you have enough fuel for a decent distance and try to make sure fuel tanks and ammo are not exposed. After that it is kind of learn as you go.

The Lightning is a great little ship to tinker with, as it is designed to be messed around with. You can swap the guns, add missiles, add bombs all without changing the basic layout very much. The Gladiator is a good ship to look at for a vanilla design with very little flaws.

All the vanilla ships have flaws which serve as tutorials on what works and what doesn't with basic ship design really. It's worth taking a look at them and working out where the weakspot is and then trying to overcome it without ruining the ships handling.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Great tips, but I was more talking about UI and visual. It's all pixelated greebles that kind of blend together, many of which are behind other things or overlapped by others. I can only see what's what by highlighting things with my mouse and squinting.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Great tips, but I was more talking about UI and visual. It's all pixelated greebles that kind of blend together, many of which are behind other things or overlapped by others. I can only see what's what by highlighting things with my mouse and squinting.

Ah, yeah there isn't a lot I can give to help with that.

What I like to do is lay out my components around the ship while I build the structure. Laying them out lets me know how many slots I need to fit everything so I don't get caught short. Then I add the engines, then the weapons, then the ammo, then the generators, then the crew quarters and finally the fuel, emergency systems and defensive systems/sensors.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Are you sure you're not like experiencing a visual scaling glitch or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Bug Squash posted:

Wow my anti-virus does not like that mod at all. I think I'll wait until a few more people have given it the all clear before letting it out of quarantine.

It uses an injector to get crap into the game

Anyhoo, mod p good so far, though ard as gently caress