Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
So if I ask for X amount of fuel but i take off before i'm fully fueled do i lose that cash/fuel i bought or does it just work it out from how much I got?

AAAAND

if say i have acquired an intrepid but i want to make it into more a lightning, why when i take the armour off can i not save it as a new design as it keeps wanting to repair it back to its normal state, is that just something you cant do?

Finally....

I just took out a strike group for the first time but didn't get any money or anything, is the only reward there is now one less strike group? Or cos it didnt have a name just had an S by it I have mistaken it and it was just one of those smaller support fleets?

by.a.teammate fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

by.a.teammate posted:

So if I ask for X amount of fuel but i take off before i'm fully fueled do i lose that cash/fuel i bought or does it just work it out from how much I got?

The fuel stays at the node. You can see it on the map.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

by.a.teammate posted:

I just took out a strike group for the first time but didn't get any money or anything, is the only reward there is now one less strike group? Or cos it didnt have a name just had an S by it I have mistaken it and it was just one of those smaller support fleets?

Strike groups will have better loot usually but only if you are nearby to loot them / brawled with them. So basically ya the primary reward is one less strike group. Typically you want to destroy them with a combination of missiles and planes, or severely weaken them before sending in your own fleet, otherwise the cost in damage and time to repair makes it not worth it. Since your engaging them with standoff tactics you generally dont get a lot out of it but having the subsequent freedom to raid and move as you please can be well worth it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

See this is where a design like a Screamer or a Droid comes in handy, they can zip to a crash site after a standoff engagement to salvage.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Phrosphor says that the enemy won't respond to your ELINT signals if there's no alarm. It'll make a huge impact on how I play the game if true.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Strike groups will have better loot usually but only if you are nearby to loot them / brawled with them. So basically ya the primary reward is one less strike group. Typically you want to destroy them with a combination of missiles and planes, or severely weaken them before sending in your own fleet, otherwise the cost in damage and time to repair makes it not worth it. Since your engaging them with standoff tactics you generally dont get a lot out of it but having the subsequent freedom to raid and move as you please can be well worth it.

Hmmm it had x3 big ships, i took out one with planes, my cruise missiles got taken out by AA guns and then I brawled to get the last two (think one was damaged) and just seemed to be normal loot from taking a city, get more from a trade fleet, ust seems everyone on reddit has huge fleets and lots of cash not sure if I did something wrong

EDIT - okay something weird is up, I just took a city with a prize ship, didnt kill it and killed the rest and got no cash, maybe something got busted in this game. bummer was the first strike group i managed to take down without using the big boy you start with

by.a.teammate fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 19, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

by.a.teammate posted:

Hmmm it had x3 big ships, i took out one with planes, my cruise missiles got taken out by AA guns and then I brawled to get the last two (think one was damaged) and just seemed to be normal loot from taking a city, get more from a trade fleet, ust seems everyone on reddit has huge fleets and lots of cash not sure if I did something wrong

Its going to be better in the sense SGs are full of capital ships and generally have better equipment than a trade ship or whatever, so you might get some sarmats or nukes or something instead of more ak-100s (which you can still get if your unlucky). The crash site loot is based on the ships equipment that was destroyed.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

by.a.teammate posted:

EDIT - okay something weird is up, I just took a city with a prize ship, didnt kill it and killed the rest and got no cash, maybe something got busted in this game. bummer was the first strike group i managed to take down without using the big boy you start with

i think this has been a known bug since forever, its been a while since ive played but basically ya that can happen. something about a lone trade ship + garrison fleet maybe? cause normally if a trade ship is by itself you auto capture it, but i think it glitches out if theres a garrison.

its usually safer anyway to attack convoys outside of a city so ill usually just wait for them to leave if possible.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
I lost a five-pack (might’ve been four) of trade ships to that bug years ago and still haven’t entirely recovered from the psychological damage. I don’t remember it in detail at this point but I do recall engaging after herding them all into a city only to have them vanish.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
Okay found a hidden city! an tips on best things to do mid game? is the only way to make money really just trade ships and selling stuff? I tried the ship builder and just made things that spin, I've been watching phros's play along but still not really sure how i should be playing mid game.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

by.a.teammate posted:

Okay found a hidden city! an tips on best things to do mid game? is the only way to make money really just trade ships and selling stuff? I tried the ship builder and just made things that spin, I've been watching phros's play along but still not really sure how i should be playing mid game.

You should be rationalising your fleet now. The hidden city is a great place to do any extensive rebuilds you need, so get those started and have a couple of light groups sally out and grab the surrounding cities.

You make money by selling trade ships, selling things (Sevastopol is a gold mine of equipment), and selling ships (sometimes you get given a white elephant, sell it rather than burning gas to keep it aloft).

By now you should have a decent capacity for strategic warfare. That's your cruise missiles and aircraft. Those are going to punch through the heavy ships that would cause you to bleed out into the desert trying to brawl. Make sure you buy the bombs and missiles you need to use them. You should also have a solid ship or two designed to punch through heavy resistance as well. My usual is a Gladiator kitted out with Molots and a couple of 37mm, firing laser guided shells. It can take out most mid-late game threats that aircraft can't just handle.

Work on getting a head on where the enemy strategic assets are. A cruise missile can end a run if it comes in at a bad time!

If you missed any trade ships, don't be afraid to have a lighting/skylark pair chase them down. You need the money!

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
But on the subject of the economy, yes there is a limited amount of Money in the world. When it's gone, it's gone, and you do need to be in Khiva before you run out!

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
amazing thanks, ouch didn't realise money was finite too! I've probably wasted a lot on special ammo, was using prox as a crutch a lot til lost all my lightnings

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

by.a.teammate posted:

amazing thanks, ouch didn't realise money was finite too! I've probably wasted a lot on special ammo, was using prox as a crutch a lot til lost all my lightnings

If using proximity ammo saves you cash on repairs, it's a good investment. I like to keep a stockpile incase I accidentally slam a lightning into more than it can handle. Special ammo is honestly one of the best things you can buy.

Oh I forgot to mention missile defense! There's a whole game to evading missiles and mitigating their damage (and removing the goddamn ammo crate next to the Sevastopol bridge), but the big thing is to keep a few T7 planes (the big ones) and a cache of AA missiles at the ready. They will save your rear end in a pinch.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
should i just take all the armour and stuff off the sevestapool? I feel like its a crutch and prob better to find some more skylarks to buy and have little fleets heading off? (well thats what the internet says i should do)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

by.a.teammate posted:

should i just take all the armour and stuff off the sevestapool? I feel like its a crutch and prob better to find some more skylarks to buy and have little fleets heading off? (well thats what the internet says i should do)
That's the pro-strat, as the Sevastopol should ideally never see combat and all that armour turns it into a slow gas guzzler. Some people like to turn it into a missile+aircraft carrier, but I just turn it into a giant unarmoured tanker bristling with sensors and antiair equipment.

For new players, the Sevastopol is great to knock out a Strike Fleet that you couldn't handle otherwise. It may be a inefficient dinosaur, but a trex is still going to obliterate almost anything else. Until you have a something like an upgunned gladiator or archangel to handle heavy threats, you should probably keep it gunned.

Definitely get rid of the ammo cache next to the bridge before it kills you, and move the giant gun that has a really crap firing arc. And definitely use mini fleets of lightings and skylarks to actually capture cities. They can take a city before the alarm goes off, with generally little damage, and you'll do twice as many captures, and at many times the speed of doing it with the main fleet.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 21, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Bug Squash posted:

That's the pro-strat, as the Sevastopol should ideally never see combat and all that armour turns it into a slow gas guzzler. Some people like to turn it into a missile+aircraft carrier, but I just turn it into a giant unarmoured tanker bristling with sensors and antiair equipment.

For new players, the Sevastopol is great to knock out a Strike Fleet that you couldn't handle otherwise. It may be a inefficient dinosaur, but a trex is still going to obliterate almost anything else. Until you have a something like an upgunned gladiator or archangel to handle heavy threats, you should probably keep it gunned.

Definitely get rid of the ammo cache next to the bridge before it kills you, and move the giant gun that has a really crap firing arc. And definitely use mini fleets of lightings and skylarks to actually capture cities. They can take a city before the alarm goes off, with generally little damage, and you'll do twice as many captures, and at many times the speed of doing it with the main fleet.

The fun way is to turn the 'pol into an effective brawler and smush faces in the end game.

Or just build ye olde deathbricke.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

by.a.teammate posted:

Yeah, all the armor and stuff makes the Sevastopol slow and fuel inefficient, which is not great for the one ship that absolutely has to cross the entire map. Moreover, since you lose if it dies, it's best to avoid sending it into combat at all, so that giant gun and all that armor are doing nothing for it. If it does get caught, all that armor and that giant gun mean it has a fairly decent chance in combat, but once you're used to evading enemy fleets and splitting off your own strike forces it's not really worth the trouble of hauling all that around.

Generally, people strip off most of the Sevastopol's combat equipment and use it to outfit their other ships instead, or just sell it. I'll leave some anti-air stuff on it just in case, and I'll typically throw a flight deck on top because it doesn't really cost any weight or mass to do so.

It's also possible to strip off the ship's non-combat equipment and make it a tough fighter. Really, the important lesson here is that multi-role ships suck - each ship should have one or two jobs tops. If you're putting sensors and long-range missiles on something, remove the armor and big guns. If you're putting armor and big guns on something, remove the sensors and missiles.

Yeah, the pro strat in this game is to split off ships into separate fleets. Rather than dragging your whole group back and forth chasing various objectives, just split off the ships you need and send them. It helps keep your non-combat ships out of combat and wastes less fuel. It also allows you to make a lot more strategic moves, such as sending high-speed raiders for fast surprise strikes, or using scouts and/or bait forces to lure enemy strike groups into a perfect position for your own long-range weaponry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

by.a.teammate posted:

Now that you have a hidden city you can leave the Sev there as long as you like to get it rebuilt. There are definitely some easy fixes you should make at the very least like the aforementioned moving of Mark Sayedi's personal 130mm ammo container next to the bridge.

Removing stuff like the side armor and bottom armor makes sense, but if you get caught out and get hit by an air strike the top armor is still very good to have.