Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Airplanes start to feel like cheating with how poor the AI is at reacting to all the tricks you can do with them. It's like how in the ship designer you have to decide choose your own difficulty level in terms of how many cheese/exploits you want to use.

Maybe I'll do a 'no planes' or 'rocket pods only' campaign next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Any idea how to move window position in "windowed mode"? It seems stuck in the middle despite trying to force it with other software.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Just got this game and having a blast but I can't understand airplane weaponry.

What airplane weapons are used for what target type(s)?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
100Kg bombs are for landed ships, or flying cruisers. 250Kg bombs are for if you really don't like that cruiser. Most of the light/medium cruisers have their bridge on the top, so headcapping them with a star wars trench run bomber flight is aggressively valid.
122mm rockets trade some damage for keeping your planes a little safer than bombs. Because they fire in a shotgun spray, you have some hope of tagging an airborne frigate with them. 340mm rockets are to let your T-7 pilots compensate for something.

Anti-air missiles are for your T-7 jets to shoot down incoming Kh-15's, and other planes if they have nothing better to do. The firing interval is exactly short enough that if you give them two AAMs, they will waste the second before seeing if the first hits.

Guns are a sign that you have done something wrong, and will soon retire the run due to lack of cash.

Balling all of your planes up and throwing them at a target is a good way to get rid of pilots that you don't like! The first wave will get the surprise attack bonus (if available), and everyone else will fly into a wall of AAA.
Sending out planes in groups of 2-3 cheeses the gently caress out of the AI lets all your planes get the surprise attack bonus. You might still eat a Sprint or two on the way in, but you won't scour all of Elaat for replacement airframes after every sortie.

If your planes are aimed at an airborne corvette, call them off. This way lies sadness, airframe loss, and UXO in the desert.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Selecting weapons is done by clicking on the plane, then clicking on the weapon, then clicking on the target.

You buy aircraft weapons by scrolling right in the refuelin shop.

You can dodge 95% of sprints by retreating the instant you see them launch.

T7s are generally better on every way to LA29s so if you have a choice buy them up.

Aircraft are OP so buy every Longbow and Wasp you see. Maybe slap some runways on the Sevastopol too. Strip the armour off your carriers. If they see combat you deserve to lose them.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think you can still cheese the game with an armored box containing 20-30 57mm guns

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Listening to you people talk about this game is killing me, I absolutely cannot get it to work under Proton =[

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Retreating to waste enemy Sprint interceptors is a great idea. My last run I just sent a couple 1-plane strikes against enemy task forces. If you send 3 the chances are all of them get wasted by that missile. Same if your enemy is a carrier TF with some AAM fighters on standby.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ceebees posted:

100Kg bombs are for landed ships, or flying cruisers. 250Kg bombs are for if you really don't like that cruiser. Most of the light/medium cruisers have their bridge on the top, so headcapping them with a star wars trench run bomber flight is aggressively valid.
122mm rockets trade some damage for keeping your planes a little safer than bombs. Because they fire in a shotgun spray, you have some hope of tagging an airborne frigate with them. 340mm rockets are to let your T-7 pilots compensate for something.

Anti-air missiles are for your T-7 jets to shoot down incoming Kh-15's, and other planes if they have nothing better to do. The firing interval is exactly short enough that if you give them two AAMs, they will waste the second before seeing if the first hits.

Guns are a sign that you have done something wrong, and will soon retire the run due to lack of cash.

Balling all of your planes up and throwing them at a target is a good way to get rid of pilots that you don't like! The first wave will get the surprise attack bonus (if available), and everyone else will fly into a wall of AAA.
Sending out planes in groups of 2-3 cheeses the gently caress out of the AI lets all your planes get the surprise attack bonus. You might still eat a Sprint or two on the way in, but you won't scour all of Elaat for replacement airframes after every sortie.

If your planes are aimed at an airborne corvette, call them off. This way lies sadness, airframe loss, and UXO in the desert.

thank you !

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Serephina posted:

Listening to you people talk about this game is killing me, I absolutely cannot get it to work under Proton =[

I know it worked well at one point but i havent played it in months, have you tried GE fork?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

double nine posted:

Just got this game and having a blast but I can't understand airplane weaponry.

What airplane weapons are used for what target type(s)?

Generally bombs are used for larger and slower ships, or when you're sure you've caught the enemy on the ground. They generally pack a hefty punch, but their slow fall and fixed trajectory means that the more agile ships will often dodge it if they're already in the air.

Rockets pack less of a punch, but are generally easier to hit with. The plane fires multiple rockets and they travel more quickly, so you have a good chance of getting some hits even against a smaller, more mobile target.

Planes with anti-air missiles are generally your best shot at taking out incoming missiles. It's like the ship-mounted AA missile, except fired from a plane so you can use it at a distance from your ships. They're also quite effective at taking out enemy planes.

Sending out planes with just their built-in guns is generally a hail-mary last resort. They do virtually no damage to enemy ships, and they usually can't manage to shoot down enemy missiles either. They might be able to harass enemy bomber flights, but they're not really that effective there either. It's free, though (aside from the risk of getting your planes shot down or not being able to use them for a few hours).

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

340mm rockets aren't worth it, just load up on the 122mm

The 250kg bomb, the 'Sayedi Special' is where it's at.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Is there any reason at all to send bigger strikes than 1 plane ones? Your planes come 3 at a time, and it's way too easy for one missile to blap all of them. Also you end up wasting way too much ammo that way. Nothing like your strike group lobbing 3x250kg at some frigate.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I find it a bit if a faff doing one at a time, so I do two at a time instead. I'm confident that one at a time is optimal though, if you want to power game.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
This game demands a lot of performance for a 2d title. Guess I'll have to save up for a good computer, because this is the kind of game where I really want 60 fps.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does the infrared scanner just not work when landed? or is it sometimes bugged ?

this fleet consists of a skylark & a lightning and yet there was nothing notable on the infrared until visual range.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

A lightning and a skylark have relatively little engines so I wouldn't expect to pick them up from very far away. It's big hot engines, especially missiles, that you can detect from far away on IR sensors.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

double nine posted:

does the infrared scanner just not work when landed? or is it sometimes bugged ?

this fleet consists of a skylark & a lightning and yet there was nothing notable on the infrared until visual range.

Sensors have reduced range when landed? Like if you turn on a fire-control radar the map visually shows you the nominal sensor range (targets with a smaller signature can be undetected inside the radius, also if there's a jammer active it reduces your actual detection range)

Here's a random fleet landed: shown range is ~350km

now the range is ~387km and the only difference from the previous screenshot is that the fleet is now in the air

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

You can see more the higher you are. The horizon is farther.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
finally got around to playing this and goddamn does the combat feel good. brutal and punishing, but real good, and chunky, for lack of a better word--they really nailed the thrust and shot physics. blacking out your Lighting pilot to dodge a missile, stopping on a point, and blasting someone with a cannon volley is just the right balance of stress and finesse. piloting a flying brick like the Sevastopol also feels "good", or at least sufficiently weighty. tiny 2D pixel art ships never felt so massive and hard to fly. i forgive the game's many other annoyances for how much i still enjoy the dogfights. unlike others, i love the skeuomorphic UI making you fly through the rain, blackouts, bulletholes, etc., it's not so obtrusive and adds well to the stress and overall aesthetic

that said:

- are radio intercepts every useful? you get a direction and a message that seems... entirely useless, always, and gets more useless once they start encrypting them. instead of a mostly useless "callsign you don't recognize heading to ____ eta ___ need fuel on arrival" that omits any salient details (or if it doesn't, it's for a city across the map, or at least nothing nearby that you can immediately see, so it may as well be) you get "kdjsgdflg _____ dldfkgjdgkjfdg _____ dfgdfgdg" that i guess you can maybe decrypt if you prioritize that in salvage over poo poo you can sell for money. no thanks. i guess you still get the useful "prince _____ would like to meet tarkhan ____ for tea" messages in plaintext! the entire system seems to mostly serve to annoyingly pause the game while you're in transit while you consider whether playing the stupid tuning minigame is worth it for the RP aspect, because it's not like you're going to get actionable info ever
- planes and carriers are apparently quite important, but get no tutorial whatsoever. no or limited tutorial is true for a lot of how you're actually supposed to (have to) play the game, but is at least something you could easily explain in a tutorial, but they're not even mentioned
- shipbuilding also hits the unintuitive, no tutorial whatsoever problem. it's got 3 pages in the manual to tell you it exists and what thrusters are (cool, i already understood the basic idea of thrusters), but that's about it, which ain't a lot for a system entirely separate from the main gameplay loop and... not trivial. battletech made decent compromises with the "here are the hardpoints you get on this model, use em'" approach; infinite flexibility from the start is hard. there doesn't seem to be much middle ground, since if you try to just augment your existing ships midgame you're presented with a useless UX that provides no feedback whatsoever. you try to attach your salvaged molot or w/e onto a ship in dock and nothing whatsoever happens. im sure there's some reason i can't put the weapon wherever i clicked, but there's no indication of why or even really that i can't, beyond that nothing happens when i click
- the whole shipbuilding system seems even further half-baked given that common consensus seems to be that stock ships are bad to the point you need to replace them, but can only really do so by purchasing custom ships at start or cobbling together ships midgame
- what the heck is this PDF manual. why is not in game and only available via searching steam community posts? did they actually distribute this game in a box at best buy with a print manual like it's 1997?
- though not a UX failure like the other points, goddamn do i wish the campaign was more a Battle Brothers-esque mercenary sandbox instead of hashtag RaceToKiva. the fleet building and logistics aspects seem like they'd fit with that better, and frankly i don't care about the standard campaign objective, even if i recognize that a lot of modern gamedev wisdom says you want that in place more than you want a sandbox

also, the tarkhan recruitment "you chose the wrong random option" converstations can get hosed, but are less frustrating since at worst you just keep the status quo when you fail

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

- radio intercepts are extremely useful and give you a lot of data, but yes it is sorta luck of the draw with if you get the info you need at that moment. Always be marking any info you find on the map. Drop a marking with heading, time and speed when ever you get one. It becomes extremely useful. You can also decode any message with a single key btw.
- planes are just launch and forget, it doesn't really need any detailed tutorials... but all the info is in the PDF manual.
- shipbuilding from scratch is unintuitive because we'll, you are starting from scratch. All the stock ships work well for the purpose they are built for and any rebuilding is just to make them even better. the only vanilla ship I can think of that needs any changes from the get go is the flagship, and it makes a lot of sense wrt to the plot.
- pdf manual rules and it's kind of a cool reference to microprose and all those simulation titles they used to release with hundred page manuals
- the tharkhan recruitment is relatively simple. Each has a predetermined set of characteristics that they will always pull from and is visually represented (the empire looking guys will hate desert people, mean looking ones will like violence etc), and you have a shitton of chances. I don't think I have ever failed in recruiting one. The only problem I've had is sometimes they start with too little loyalty so I can't use them to their fullest ( the better your talk, the more times you can call them up for support).

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 29, 2022

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ughhhh posted:

- the tharkhan recruitment is relatively simple. Each has a predetermined set of characteristics that they will always pull from and is visually represented (the empire looking guys will hate desert people, mean looking ones will like violence etc), and you have a shitton of chances. I don't think I have ever failed in recruiting one. The only problem I've had is sometimes they start with too little loyalty so I can't use them to their fullest ( the better your talk, the more times you can call them up for support).

-generally a decent idea to salvage valuable loot or Crew Quarters in wrecks for shiny objects to throw at tarkhans. each adds a single-use card alongside your regular tarkcards, especially useful when all your other options are duds

-manually salvage wrecks in general because the auto decision-making sucks. often you have to hit ammo/fuel first to keep them from blowing up everything else but generally you should equip safety gear before taking any hazardous options, unless you can take a coinflip -1 morale hit across your whole fleet in exchange, but especially:
--don't rescue survivors. ever. dunno why the game always prioritizes them but you never need to rescue anyone and aside from the fact they aren't really relevant...
-Kindness is a trap. in the RPG city events the game actively punishes you for trying to play virtuous and often rewards being an aggressive selfish rear end in a top hat because the writers assume you're gonna act like a nuclear-armed dictator. just don't get excessively careless/stupid/greedy because there are some obvious schmuck bait options.
-lifeboats are for cowards so the best thing to do is uninstall and sell them. did I mention no survivors? yeah. think like a crazy rear end in a top hat.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 29, 2022

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

There is a secret reward for being kind in think. Or was it religious. there is a larger secret reward that is gotten by getting your morals to one end of the spectrum.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Is the religious reward being able to switch the governor of Khiva to your side? I had the dialogue but royally screwed choices and had to fight him anyway.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

FPyat posted:

This game demands a lot of performance for a 2d title. Guess I'll have to save up for a good computer, because this is the kind of game where I really want 60 fps.

I believe the dev posted about how the game is limited to 50fps because of physics engine limitations. Though IDK if there are any wacky workarounds/hacks to boost that.

I'll edit a link to the Steam forums post about it later if I can find it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
took the threads advice and ran without radar for my new campaign. the good news:

wow, like 3 transport flights basically just kramered into me! do they run elint and run away or something?

the bad news: somehow i managed to attack 2 simultaneous strike group attacks within like 20 minutes of starting. was able to fight them off despite a shitton of damage and losing a lightning to a missile. then i ran into a third about 10m later, which took out the other lightning :|

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
First game: stupidly stumbled into a SG with my fast attack group rather than bringing in the Sevastopol. Lost both my best frigates, so I'm not too optimistic about the rest of this run.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

alex314 posted:

Is the religious reward being able to switch the governor of Khiva to your side? I had the dialogue but royally screwed choices and had to fight him anyway.

yes. I now have command of his mighty varyag class heavy cruiser.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

The stock ships usually just have one or two major design flaws that you should fix. For instance, they'll have a big hole in the top armour to shoot zenith missiles through. So if they hit you from above they detonate one of the missiles and kill you. Maybe just trade the missiles for another gun and armour the whole top. Paladin becomes Paladin Mod. A.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

A Russian troll farm posted:

The stock ships usually just have one or two major design flaws that you should fix. For instance, they'll have a big hole in the top armour to shoot zenith missiles through. So if they hit you from above they detonate one of the missiles and kill you. Maybe just trade the missiles for another gun and armour the whole top. Paladin becomes Paladin Mod. A.

Well yeah, the stock ships are made to to perform generally okay within the ["every fight is just a straight-up slugfest between mindless flowchart robots"] design realm, but also made with intentional flaws to make engaging one's brain more rewarding for the player. Though there will still be times you just wanna smash button and make things go BOOM

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

yes. I now have command of his mighty varyag class heavy cruiser.

Gotta watch out though because Al'Ashir will try and stab him if you have them both on your flagship, it's a tricky conversation check to stop the murder from happening.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Gotta watch out though because Al'Ashir will try and stab him if you have them both on your flagship, it's a tricky conversation check to stop the murder from happening.

Al'Ashir was shot dead by my guards. I asked that he strike me down in the Governor's stead - it seemed the prophetly thing to do - and he totally did it. Cut my jaw half off. Then a guard blew him away. The Governor is unharmed.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Al'Ashir was shot dead by my guards. I asked that he strike me down in the Governor's stead - it seemed the prophetly thing to do - and he totally did it. Cut my jaw half off. Then a guard blew him away. The Governor is unharmed.

The prophecy goes at length to call you unlovely, so this is basically it's fulfillment.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I made too many mistakes and decided "eff it, torpedo this run and on to the next." It took an hour and a half and three destroyed strike groups before things finally fell apart.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
There is a beta branch now with supposedly a lot if changes but as of yet undocumented. Its been to long since I've played this to figure out what the changes are but restarting this ive already managed to waste a bunch of planes on a SG and cruise missile my own dudes. Still managed to kill it by throwing a cruiser at it then just sold it after. Managed to regroup and refit so maybe this run will be salvageable? Was mostly expecting to relearn all the nuance and die horribly, so while extremely gross thats one down with another one identified nearby.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

1.16 is a bit of a mess, but KK re-appeared on Twitter this week and posted this:

https://twitter.com/highfleetgame/status/1603350053191565314?t=BgAxF0M0evq_XEmmBXQF1g&s=19

Crabfleet? Walkerfleet? What does this mean.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Wanna see the walker design that can pace a 350km/h Carrier/Support fleet.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saros posted:

Wanna see the walker design that can pace a 350km/h Carrier/Support fleet.

obviously they have a sky carrier that hot drops them into battle like mecha in battletech

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm gonna guess they're slower but heavily armed and armored since you don't have to try and lift it through the air. I'm thinking WW1/2 Battleships with legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

obviously they have a sky carrier that hot drops them into battle like mecha in battletech

any excuse to use the word "ekranoplan"