Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
I love the Gepard. It's not too slow and the main armament is point and click PD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

apseudonym posted:

I shot myself down with my own missile

Awesome

I shot down another ship with a different enemy's missile!

The game is tough, I might wait to see if we get a patch (or maybe mod/hack) for just a few more options because

idiotsavant posted:

Yeah, the combo of super obtuse UI, unforgiving controls/difficulty, and glitchy/lossy/bullet-holey visuals was too much for me. It's tempting to keep trying but I already know I'll end up banging my head against a wall
While a lot of this is super cool, I don't want to feel like I'm playing a game with a sort of step function difficulty. It feels like I might have 50 extremely lovely false starts and die majorly early until it all clicks and then it'll become relatively trivial/rote? The game is satisfying difficult to me except for one glaring thing: It feels like it sort of forces you forward. With towns going dangerous (which doesn't seem to fade) and after hitting a transport and it summoning a cruiser group I feel like I'm already in a desperate claw for money and I'm being very careful not to ruin poo poo in fights or travel unnecessarily. Given the FTL comparison I guess losing is probably a part of it, but its very hard to fight the "woops, this is hosed" urge once you see it coming to see if you get any sort of 'bonus' from a playthrough (maybe more bonus cash?) That might help the 'early false start' aspect along a lot, though! If not, I'd want to tune it down by maybe just 15% and I think it would be a sweet spot for the first couple hours of the game until I get my legs under me.

That said the 'glitchy' bits might lose their appeal really quick. I love what its trying to do and it makes for a great experience at first, but I bet by hour 20 I'll basically be over any novelty and just want a more clean experience. It is really tiresome on the eyes - I've stared at games for marathon times and this is one of the few that I really need breaks from. Maybe not, it could stay cool! I'm reserving judgement on "great" or "almost great except" until I can play it more.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

apseudonym posted:

E: Also reading the manual you get to the special ammo by going right from the supplies, I did not know this.

I found that but for some reason thought it was normal ammo and wasted shitloads of money on filling up on stuff for all my ships... lol. Does that mean standard weapon ammo is free or part of repairs?

And man, I couldn't disagree more about the visuals and UI. I think it's genius, all of it. So gorgeous and fun and immersive. The little map tools while traveling, the radio, the sonar, the various battle effects, I just find them really fun and different.

I probably do agree about the difficulty though, the attrition just gets to be too much and it's too easy to get yourself into a situation from which there is really no escape no matter what you try and choose to do. Either lower enemy numbers and/or prices or allow saving whenever you want would be a nice touch. Maybe an easy mode that includes those things.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Play posted:

And man, I couldn't disagree more about the visuals and UI. I think it's genius, all of it. So gorgeous and fun and immersive. The little map tools while traveling, the radio, the sonar, the various battle effects, I just find them really fun and different.
I think the aesthetic and vibe were awesome, it just felt like you're playing a shaky-cam movie. Little bit overtuned for me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Starting campaign #3. #2 ended when I was stomping my way across the map with Lightening's, and used my excellent range to just skip to a fuel depot on the other side of the wasteland. Went up against a Fleet base with insufficient intel and my lightening's got decimated by their mediocre armor'd frigates because I figured with how good I was doing a 3v4 would be a fair fight. I was very wrong, should have used my tac nukes ahead of time. The nukes won the battle but that stumbled had snowballed for the next city to not having enough money for both repairs and fuel. Sold off some parts. Now down to two ships, and got wrecked.

Lesson learned - The base loadouts do not include a tanker, despite what the autogenerated classes inform you of.

So I present the $4400 solution: "The Chunk"

3200 tons of fuel in a cheap and efficient package. I also Immediately created a Chunk II class that was the same frame with some added PD, R9 Sprints, and Flares in case it ever needs to shoot at incoming nukes, but that version costs $18000

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Reckon I'll give this a few months to stew and hopefully they fix the inconsistent control scheme. Still looks pretty good. I think there'll be a few good LP's out of this.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
I love this game's 1960's clunky analog aesthetic and the combat is very satisfying, but the strategic layer with its ridiculous scarcity and constant mad scramble for fuel just ruins it for me. I've tried many fleet combinations and I just can't seem to keep my head above water.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

definitely this game looks like a steampunk action romp and in reality its a white knuckle logistics and squadron simulator

yep, this is accurate unfortunately

edit: actually I was just bad at the game, disregard

Top Gun Reference fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 2, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this game is frustrating. it has a lot of really neat ideas but the pieces don't quite fit together. it reminds me a bit of evil genius 2, except instead of being incredibly dragged out it is very fast and unforgiving of any lapse in concentration or skill

Play posted:

I found that but for some reason thought it was normal ammo and wasted shitloads of money on filling up on stuff for all my ships... lol. Does that mean standard weapon ammo is free or part of repairs?

high explosive is the default ammo. other rounds like flame, proximity, armor piercing are special and are bought from towns and have limited quantity. HE appears to be unlimited as far as i can tell

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Digging through the game files, it fortunately does seem like very nearly everything is just saved in simple plaintext. I haven't had the time yet to actually experiment, but from the looks of the files it seems quite possible to just mod them to, say, cut fuel consumption in half across the board.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Perestroika posted:

Digging through the game files, it fortunately does seem like very nearly everything is just saved in simple plaintext. I haven't had the time yet to actually experiment, but from the looks of the files it seems quite possible to just mod them to, say, cut fuel consumption in half across the board.

You can easily modify the stats of every ship part including everything to do with costs, fuels, crew, speed, armor, damage, etc. It's really quite thorough and written out in an easily understandable way.

The next fun thing to test will be custom parts.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

This kind of thing is super common with groggy games, especially with small teams. You're working and playing it for years, and tune the difficulty to suit yourself who is the most expert player in the entire world and become completely blind to rear end backward UI decisions because you've become so completely used to them.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Is it me or is aircraft carrier currently broken? Once the strike group gets to a target the battle screen immediately starts to dim then the battle just ends.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

pedro0930 posted:

Is it me or is aircraft carrier currently broken? Once the strike group gets to a target the battle screen immediately starts to dim then the battle just ends.

I had that also. I wondered if I did something wrong?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat this game is loving awesome. IDK what kind of problems the rest of you are running into but I think it might be like... mindset based. It is pretty hard but I almost got to Khiva on my second run (I instantly died to a stronger squadron on the first because I didn't realize the ELINT had a bearing display, so I ran right into them lol).

As far as I can tell your starting squadron is basically the difficulty level. You want a mobile, high range fleet so you can sink between the cracks. Support stuff like strategic missiles and nukes are handy but do you really need them when your goal is to bumrush the capital before the enemy finds you? Not really. TBH I pick up Omar Khan and the Duchess and after that I pretty much just try to assault cities with my Lightnings as fast as I can. Where I ran into problems and splatted my run (cuz I only had cruisers and support vessels left) is I ran my lightnings and heavy frigates into cities separately instead of together, so the Lightnings splatted into their natural enemy, Guardians, and my Jaguars weren't there to help.

Basically, your starting gold is a timer. The less cash you start with, the faster you need to go. The shorter range your squadron has, the more money you'll need. Too little cash and too little range means you have to fight people constantly, which can be really expensive if you aren't good at the tactical combat (this is why I like Lightnings so much, they're very nimble and light damage is way, way cheaper than module replacements)

OTOH I wonder how ship building works. Can you just straight up build a new ship from scratch? Because it might be pretty effective to just make something like a Lightning that just carries 6-8 ABIRs, fly in from outside of radar range and try to splat the enemy while they're still on the ground, and also to intercept trade ships or other curious dumbasses while your main squadron fills its bigass tanks.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think simplest explanation I have is, this isn't Starsector, baby. This is Fallout 1, except there's no water chip or Hub. Your time is the most valuable resource. The Big Bad has to die as soon as possible or you'll just lose, whether that be from the strike squadrons closing in, or resource constraints. The logistics stuff is military logistics; and the homeland got nuked and is in a raging civil war. We aren't making a profit, we're bleeding out. The FTL comparison is probably a good one, except remember that in FTL, your goal was to avoid conflict where you could, because damage was expensive. The exact same strategy plays out here. People who say FTL is too punishing forget this.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Play posted:

I probably do agree about the difficulty though, the attrition just gets to be too much and it's too easy to get yourself into a situation from which there is really no escape no matter what you try and choose to do. Either lower enemy numbers and/or prices or allow saving whenever you want would be a nice touch. Maybe an easy mode that includes those things.

Honestly the UI is probably going to be fun for a bit, and look great in screenshots, but once you're in the game and good at it, it's going to be a real annoyance.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

pedro0930 posted:

I think planes with only the 37mm guns are pure fighters and dont actually attack ships. I have not found planes with bombs yet.

Also wow, the fanbase is falling over themselves to scream death at everyone who mentions accessability or even the most basic options.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game has such a phenomenal aesthetic, it's a shame I hate playing it :v: I made it a bunch of missions in and got to a battle where the enemy has like 12 ships, restarted like 5 times, realized it wasn't fun and refunded.

It really needs Mouse Acceleration removed, keybinds (okay so let me get this straight, the buttons I'll use while in battle are WASD, X, spacebar, middle mouse button, and F???), the ability to disable the bullshit on the battle screen that obscures 1/4 of the battlefield, etc but it still wouldn't be fun since you can only bring one ship at a time into battle, which is both unfair and defeats the purpose of playing a game about collecting a large fleet of ships.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 28, 2021

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

This game has such a phenomenal aesthetic, it's a shame I hate playing it :v: I made it a bunch of missions in and got to a battle where the enemy has like 12 ships, restarted like 5 times, realized it wasn't fun and refunded.

It really needs Mouse Acceleration removed, keybinds, the ability to disable the bullshit on the battle screen that obscures 1/4 of the battlefield, etc but it still wouldn't be fun since you can only bring one ship at a time into battle, which is both unfair and defeats the purpose of playing a game about collecting a large fleet of ships.

Something I found out.
If you loose a campaign, you get to restart with more funds than last time based on how many stars you got. Appearently this game is like FTl in which you are supposed to loose until you get that one godrun going.

Regarding planes: In a city, when you are on the screen to buy fuel, you can scroll to the right to buy different shells for guns and also weapons for your planes.
Yeah, this is only indicated in the manual.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 28, 2021

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I did the prologue and as someone who loves videogames because they can let him daydream about piloting vehicles that don't/can't exist, maaaaaaaaaaaaan this game is just.... :allears:

Think I've got to sit down and thoroughly digest the manual though before I go too much further.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Game looks cool but I'm going to wait for some patches.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the fact you only save at certain save cities and that landing can turn into a fullscreen strobefest if you dare do it doing a storm (you have no control over this) killed it for me. game itself was actually fun, if immediately kind of repetitive in the loop of do landing minigame, do combat game in small speedy craft by holding shift when lines show up, do radio minigame, repeat.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gamerofthegame posted:

the fact you only save at certain save cities and that landing can turn into a fullscreen strobefest if you dare do it doing a storm (you have no control over this) killed it for me. game itself was actually fun, if immediately kind of repetitive in the loop of do landing minigame, do combat game in small speedy craft by holding shift when lines show up, do radio minigame, repeat.

I'll admit it seems like fast craft are the only thing you can possibly personally pilot because armor is really effective, but even tanked shots cause so much loving screen effects that you can't possibly fire back. Which if intentional is really cool as a kind of suppression mechanic. Problem is since it's one ship vs the enemy squadron at a time, you have no way to draw fire besides hoping the enemy's reload cycles eventually line up or blind firing and hoping you get lucky. And since this game is set in the sky it has no cover or terrain to use.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Can you zoom in during battle? Everything looks so tiny. I scanned through the manual and didn't see anything.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i love this kinda poo poo but am always awful at it, buying it anyway

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

OTOH I wonder how ship building works. Can you just straight up build a new ship from scratch?

Yes you can. The ship building is pretty good, the UI is disastrous but the actual building mechanics seem pretty reasonable and balanced. The stock ships seem pretty well-made too.

Larry Parrish posted:

I'll admit it seems like fast craft are the only thing you can possibly personally pilot because armor is really effective, but even tanked shots cause so much loving screen effects that you can't possibly fire back. Which if intentional is really cool as a kind of suppression mechanic. Problem is since it's one ship vs the enemy squadron at a time, you have no way to draw fire besides hoping the enemy's reload cycles eventually line up or blind firing and hoping you get lucky. And since this game is set in the sky it has no cover or terrain to use.

You can definitely pilot armored ships, I've been playing around a bunch with the ship editor (which contains a little simulation tester against powerful enemy fleets), and so far it seems like the only way to beat big fleets is with heavily armored ships. Small agile ships just don't have big enough firepower to scratch the enemy cruisers, and when you're fighting 2-3 powerful ships that have tons of large guns, it's pretty impossible to avoid all enemy fire and anything that hits you cripples you. You can try big agile ships with tons of guns but no armor, but the same thing happens, every high-caliber shot that hits you cripples you.

On the other hand, with heavily armored ships I can easily take out the whole enemy fleet with only armor damage. I made a 47k ship that I can wipe the floor against the simulator with, and I'm sure I can do a it for cheaper - I wasn't trying to be restrained when I built it. By comparison, a gladiator is 27k and I get smashed in it, maybe 2 kills out of 5-6 before I die, and only the small ships, I can't kill the cruisers.

I don't know if an expensive ship that can kill everything is fully viable in the campaign (I don't know how much money/time it would take to repair the armor damage, but armor is supposed to be the fastest and cheapest thing to repair so it might not be too bad), but it might be possible.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TastyAvocado posted:

Yes you can. The ship building is pretty good, the UI is disastrous but the actual building mechanics seem pretty reasonable and balanced. The stock ships seem pretty well-made too.

You can definitely pilot armored ships, I've been playing around a bunch with the ship editor (which contains a little simulation tester against powerful enemy fleets), and so far it seems like the only way to beat big fleets is with heavily armored ships. Small agile ships just don't have big enough firepower to scratch the enemy cruisers, and when you're fighting 2-3 powerful ships that have tons of large guns, it's pretty impossible to avoid all enemy fire and anything that hits you cripples you. You can try big agile ships with tons of guns but no armor, but the same thing happens, every high-caliber shot that hits you cripples you.

On the other hand, with heavily armored ships I can easily take out the whole enemy fleet with only armor damage. I made a 47k ship that I can wipe the floor against the simulator with, and I'm sure I can do a it for cheaper - I wasn't trying to be restrained when I built it. By comparison, a gladiator is 27k and I get smashed in it, maybe 2 kills out of 5-6 before I die, and only the small ships, I can't kill the cruisers.

I don't know if an expensive ship that can kill everything is fully viable in the campaign (I don't know how much money/time it would take to repair the armor damage, but armor is supposed to be the fastest and cheapest thing to repair so it might not be too bad), but it might be possible.

Nah. You misunderstand me. Armored ships are awesome. You just end up not being able to see loving anything, especially if a couple ships with CIWS spray you with it at the same time. And since you can't see jack it's a lot harder to dodge the cannon shells that might hurt you.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So uh I feel really stupid, but I appear to be stuck at the radio minigame in the tutorial. I found the signal but now nothing happens?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Nah. You misunderstand me. Armored ships are awesome. You just end up not being able to see loving anything, especially if a couple ships with CIWS spray you with it at the same time. And since you can't see jack it's a lot harder to dodge the cannon shells that might hurt you.

I've had no problem with that.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

what is the point of carriers exactly? Seems like the only ships I've been using in combat are interceptors. The fact that the planes are so expendable seems to make carriers just super expensive. I have launched the planes from the map view and i guess you can sort of scout with them?

In regards to the visibility issues, you still get your radar style display when the screen darkens up, right?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

what is the point of carriers exactly? Seems like the only ships I've been using in combat are interceptors. The fact that the planes are so expendable seems to make carriers just super expensive. I have launched the planes from the map view and i guess you can sort of scout with them?

In regards to the visibility issues, you still get your radar style display when the screen darkens up, right?

In the supply screen, where you buy fuel, scroll to the right to buy weapons for your planes - bombs, missiles etc. You can then send those out on strike missions. Hover over a plane, select the weapon - press multiple times for more planes - and launch them with LMB.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Michaellaneous posted:

In the supply screen, where you buy fuel, scroll to the right to buy weapons for your planes - bombs, missiles etc. You can then send those out on strike missions. Hover over a plane, select the weapon - press multiple times for more planes - and launch them with LMB.

Thanks!

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

TastyAvocado posted:

I've had no problem with that.

Just a little checking, I think those effects are related to how much damage you're taking, if you're heavily armored, small caliber shots definitely don't cause bullet holes or screen shaking, only bigger shots do.

edit: it's not even bigger shots, you don't really start getting screen effects from anything, even missiles, until your armor starts getting removed.

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 28, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Larry Parrish posted:

OTOH I wonder how ship building works. Can you just straight up build a new ship from scratch? Because it might be pretty effective to just make something like a Lightning that just carries 6-8 ABIRs, fly in from outside of radar range and try to splat the enemy while they're still on the ground, and also to intercept trade ships or other curious dumbasses while your main squadron fills its bigass tanks.

Yes, its been easy for me to build stuff at least.

I added a tanker, cheap scout, and missile hauler already.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sounds like it's pretty easy to edit the bullet hole texture to remove or at least tone it down, not at home so I can't look for it myself now

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So, a couple of tips from what I've been reading.

Armor is super cheap and quick to repair, so it's worth armouring up your starter ships. You can change out engines to improve your thrust/weight ratio.

A navarin with a 1000kg bomb is hilarious in strike groups for dropping bombs on ships that are still on the ground.

Incendiary ammo is great against ships with low armour.

Skylarks are good to send with a strike group, drop the fuel tanks on your strike ships to make them fast as gently caress and then the skylark will provide radar and be a fuel tanker.

You can land ships outside of a lane and they can see other ships going past (to jump on trade ships) without being detected.

Goddamn AP is good but expensive.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After playing a bit more, I do have to agree that the UI battle effects are a bit much. If it were just the bullet holes, that'd be one thing. But when it's combined with fat raindrops, clouds passing in front of ships, lightning loving with the contrast, and your entire HUD just kinda jumping to the left occasionally, it starts to feel like you're fighting the game more than you're fighting the actual enemy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Communist Thoughts posted:

i love this kinda poo poo but am always awful at it, buying it anyway

lmao the prologue, i landed my ship pretty badly on the pad and was like "oof thats gonna be trouble"
a neat little thing in this game is when you land the landing pad and your ship becomes a nice detailed background while the town stuff is happening

while im buying supplies, in the background i can see my whole ship sliding off the edge of the landing pad, flipping upside down and crashing onto the pad below

this is already worth the price

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

I love this little dialogue. I used a lightning to ram an enemy light cruiser to death in front of god and everybody, killing both crews instantly and I'm just like, "Who me?" as flaming wreckage rains down from the sky :v:

Using your remaining ships as very expensive, manned cruise missiles is an absolutely hilarious way to end a doomed run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

TastyAvocado posted:

Just a little checking, I think those effects are related to how much damage you're taking, if you're heavily armored, small caliber shots definitely don't cause bullet holes or screen shaking, only bigger shots do.

edit: it's not even bigger shots, you don't really start getting screen effects from anything, even missiles, until your armor starts getting removed.

How do you add armor at the shipyard? For that matter do you need to make new ships in the editor first or can you design them directly from a shipyard?

Panzeh posted:

Honestly the UI is probably going to be fun for a bit, and look great in screenshots, but once you're in the game and good at it, it's going to be a real annoyance.

I mean, to each their own. I wouldn't want any of it to go away because they're so good for creating mood.

bromplicated posted:

Can you zoom in during battle? Everything looks so tiny. I scanned through the manual and didn't see anything.

no

Perestroika posted:

I noticed that what seemed like the save file itself was just text. Could be easy enough to alter depending on how it's laid out.